Go Bottom Go Bottom

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Jim Bowen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-14          29285

I purchased a John Deere 4100 with mid muching mower, loader, etc. I love the 4100, however, there is a steering problem. The first year, I noticed that the power steering hung up and was somewhat lost when accelerating and mowing. I called the dealer and they explained that this is normal. This year, it became worse in that I often had to muscle the steering because of loss of power when trimming around trees etc. The end result was that I was mowing one day next to the road and found that I was going into the ditch. I continued to turn my steering wheel without the front wheels reacting. Figuring that this is not normal, I sent the 4100 back to the dealer under warrantee. They checked with the factory and changed the power steering unit returning the unit after 3 weeks. I tested it and found that the wheels would follow the steering wheel but but you would still lose power steering when turning while mowing. They agreed there was some problem and they "might have to "borrow some test equipment" to check it out. I am not sure they know what to do. Any ideas would be appreciated since the 4100 is a great machine in my opinion and I believe my problem is rare. Any ideas out there?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-06-15          29298

I have no idea what the problem is, but my 4100 does not act this way at all. Don't let anyone tell you there's no problem. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-15          29301

I remember a discussion here some months back. A person with a JD (don't remember which one) was lifting heavy loads with a loader. He mentioned incidentally that the load was so heavy that there was no PS. I didn't understand why. As it turned out, the JD design uses a separate pump for the steering. Under very heavy loads, there is a way the steering and hydraulic pumps are hooked in parallel to increase lifting speed. Under this condition, there is no PS. That could be the explanation if the 4100 has the same design, and the mower is very heavy. However, it sounds like there is loss of PS during mowing. There shouldn't be much weight on the 3ph when the mower in on the ground. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Jim Bowen

2001-06-15          29319

Thanks fellows. I'll see what they come up with this time and try a different dealer if it still isn't corrected. I am of the opinion that steering function should have priority in the scheme of things. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-16          29326

That's the logic I have as well. In fact, many tractors that use a single hydraulic pump have a priority valve that divides oil between remote and steering. It gives priority to the steering. I guess the JD design logic is that a tractor most likely isn't turning when the hydraulics are being operated near the system relief pressure. I guess all designs involve trade-offs. Some people would welcome extra speed during heavy lifts. I don't know if this JD design is your problem though. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Jim Bowen

2001-06-19          29428

Just an update. They borrowed test equipment to check pressures, replaced the steering priority valves, and couldn't get the power steering pressure high enough. So now they'll replace the power steering pump.

Their theory is that a weak pump caused me to have to muscle the steering until ruining the steering power unit. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-20          29440

I used to muscle my PS. The steering column was loose, and the steering became easier after the column was tightened. Before the repair, I got in the habit of lifting the front end with the loader bucket to straighten out the wheels rather than muscling the steering. It's still a handy technique when I manage to do things like get crossways in a shallow excavation. Happy to hear the dealer is sorting out the problem. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Jim Bowen

2001-06-28          29672

Dealer has now replaced the power steering unit after ordering the wrong part. Pressures are now fine but steering still grabs and loses power. They are working with the factory and say that they have to disassemble the whole hydro system to find what is wrong.

They did bring me a 445 with a 60" deck to mow with until the 4100 is repaired. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-05          29832

I was looking at the JD 4000 series sales brochure last night and i noticed that the total hydraulic flow stats are much lower on the 4100 HST model as compard to the Gear model. I can get the numbers and post them if you wish. Does anyone think that this lower total flow is contributing to the problem? MH ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-07-05          29848

Jim, thank you for posting your continuing efforts at getting the problem fixed. I've got to say that you have quite a bit of both patience and faith in this dealer. That is nice to see. As far as I can remember, this problem hasn't cropped up with the 4100 before, so they may end up swapping out whole systems in order to fix it. Mark noted that there isn't much reserve flow in this model. So any deficiency is likely to be noticeable. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Jim Bowen

2001-07-09          29905

Thanks for the notes. I am avoiding a lot of work this summer so far but if I were a farmer, I would be in big trouble by now.

I just checked with the dealer Saturday - No progress - they are still working with the factory and "trying various things". I asked if they had the number I could call at John Deere or the area rept, and they didn't.

I did in fact reach the limit of my patience (I am on stress medication, is why I appear to be patient), looked up and called John Deere customer service this morning for action - asking them to replace or refund the tractor. They promised to get back to me this afternoon.

I believe that it could be a borderline design problem but I am more incined to believe my dealer isn't qualified for non-garden tractor repairs.
It would be premature, however, for me to name the dealer.

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Jim Bowen

2001-07-10          29945

New Update - Transmission full of shavings

Upon my calling the John Deere service, the dealer got back with me late yesterday that they have found my transmission full of drill shavings from the factory. They intend to replace other damaged parts and feel that this would cure the steering problem. (just as a recap - Over the past six weeks, they replaced a damaged steering cylinder, control valves, and the steering pump prior to this find)
The dealer had not spoken with the district representative and I have asked them to have them call me.

Should I ask John Deere to replace the entire tractor?

Am I wrong to think that the circulating shavings mean almost any component of the hydraulic system could be damaged and I'll get caught with more service after warrantee? The dealer says that all the lines and wheel componants and the loader are protected by filters. ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-10          29952

If the latest version of this saga is correct then you must assume that the shavings had plugged the filters and stopped or severly restricted the flow of oil. If some components are already damaged and replaced then it might be logical to assume that others are damaged also. A filter is only rated for a certain micron level of filtration and the filtering media, depending on its design may have been punctuted, cut, adraided or simply overwhelmed by a combination of enough material to occlude it and high pressure. I vote for a new machine if you can swing it. Tell the factory Rep that you are talking to many hundreds of us online with this problem and this is a great opprotunity for Deere to look great in the eyes of the buying public. MH ....

4100 power steering

View my Photos
Jim Bowen

2001-07-10          29959

John Deere stands behind their product

I was just informed by my dealer that John Deere has authorized him to replace all possible hydraulic components in the trans and wheels Totaling $4000+ of parts to ensure no damaged components and will honor the warrantee past two years for any related troubles.

I will get the tractor back next week and let you know how it runs. Thanks everyone. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login