Go Bottom Go Bottom

Moving

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-25          106821

Anyone ever feel the need to move but do not know if it is the right time or the right thing to do for the family?
You all know my situation with CNH (locked out/strike)
I was planning to move to my location of my 160 acres and second home. That place is 50 miles from Eau Claire Wi. (One of the closest decent sized towns) Was planning to move as soon as my youngest gets out of high school (4 yrs) My oldest is leaving for UW Eau Claire college this fall. My next youngest will be going to the same college in 2 1/2 years. I am in a huge delema. My sister-in-law (wifes sister) lives 500 yrds from me down our dead end road out in thew county right now. She is 43/married and having her first kid's in Aug. this year. (TWINS)! We owe here alot for help, thru out the years which she has been like a second mother to our kids. Here is the problem. My wife wanted to move 4 years ago. Its a big move up to the stick country from where we live now. I did not think it was the right time, I wanted to make some more decent money before we down sized and moved (PS. My wife is a UW Eau Claire allumni) I just recieved notice that one of the best places in Eau Claire for me to work in my tool and die trade is hiring. 3 die makers. $22-28 an hour. SHitty hours but less than 5 days a week so thats cool. Benifits up the ying yang, especially for that area it is a huge amount of money per hour. WIfe on a spur of the moment feeling told me to apply and lets move. IE: we would be right by my son at college, same in 2 yrs for when my daughter goes to same place) We will be less than an hour from my hunting/farm and love of my life (my land.) I told my wife, lets just buy a brand new house near that town and forget building on to out house in Ladysmith for now which is (50 miles away). She was floored and thought that was a good idea. Youngest daughter is throwing a fit although she will be attending a new school next year either way (going to a new high school from middle school) My wife kinda wants to be here for her sister? Ahhhhh! If I apply, I feel I will get the job. They have been advetising since Jan 11 and only filled 1 position!!!!Small town and probably not many really qualified tool an die makers. This is huge! If I get the job I will have to move NOW. Wife and kids could stay back till end of school and wife could sell this house while I buy the new one (of couse we both will be involved with both but sepperately we will be handling most everthing ourselves). This would put a heck of alot of stress on us for the next 5 months. (More for her than me) Heck I still have not sold my dads house or paid all his bills! Although I am not rich, money is not a problem, both my houses are paid off (heck my dad owes 58K on his place and he was 70) HINT: dont get divorced twice!) LOL
My wife is a RN so her employment is no problem (spoiled rotten) LOL Moving now if I get this job is far and away the best finacially and maybe even for the whole family's stress level since this town is sweet! Small but not too small and far enough away from the hustle and bustle that I am happy plus I can hunt and farm my land with no problem only being 50 miles away (right now I am 312) away. Taking on a new job and trying to move the family afterwards plus the kids high school graduation plus the in laws twins WOW! Any suggestion? A job like this in my limited profesion/trade may not come along for a long time. This is an state of the art facility and brand new although they have 3 companys in the states here they are a wonderfull place to work for I hear. I know this was long but had to fill in all the details. I am really looking for some sound advice! I must get my resume in on Monday if I am going to do this.
I dont play game or burn bridges so I dont want to jack around this company and wiste their time interviewing me if I am not sure what I am going to do. If I apply I do feel I will get hired for my background is solid! When I do a job it is not half assed and I devote my self to the company almost as much as I do my family.
Working 3 12 hours shifts or 4 10 hour days with overtime on the day after the usual shift will be tough since it is 6pm till 6am hours (I never done that before always day shift) I do feel I can do what I have to though to survive. MAN This is tough! It always seems to happen that when ever anything comes up like this it is always in a rush.

What do I do? Slow down and pass and see whats going to happen here? Or just say what the heck and do it?
Hopeing I get some sound advice here?
Thank you
Tom

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Moving

View my Photos
denwood

2005-02-26          106852

Change is often hard for people so they struggle not to change. I think this is a great opportunity and while it may not have come at the very best time, it may be close. Sometimes life just throws something at you just when you need it/can handle it. I say apply for the job and let er rip. If you get the job, it was meant to be, if not you are still comfortable. Not much is worse than having to take something because there is nothing else. For this job, you can be in the drivers seat. Just decide how much you want it. If you would be fine without getting it, make it more of you interviewing the company not the com-pany interviewing you. If there is no union involved, negotiate as hard as you can for best hours, salary, benefits. It is not messing with them to tell them what you want and see if they meet it. They need you not you need them. This is commonplace for white collar jobs but that is not to say it isn't done for other non union jobs. If they counter with less, you can take it or leave it, without burning bridges. Messing would be if they met your requests and you still say no.
If you really want the job, just tone it down a bit. ....

Moving

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-26          106855

Arrow: Do it.

Like Denwood said if you don't get the job, nothing is lost. If you do, well, in the long run you'll be way ahead (You already know this). The sis-in-law will understand you are looking out for the best intrests of YOUR family. Your youngest will be mad, but she will get over it. (She may even like the Eau Claire area [Mall of America is closer LOL])

(Maybe you can put in a good word for me there, too. I'll be looking in another month or two. -- Kidding, lol) ....

Moving

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-26          106856

Nothing happens without risk.
Get the job and tell them you want the 28.00
to move there. Try it a while before you sell
everything.
How will the younger one like the schools? ....

Moving

View my Photos
dsg

2005-02-26          106864

brokenarrow, Sounds like a good move to me. Maybe you could kill two birds with one stone here. Let the youngest stay with her aunt, she could help with the two little one's on the way and stay with all her school friend's at the same time?

David

Moving

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-26          106866

All of you had good ideas. The youngest one is the trouble spot. She by far is the most naturally intelegent and the other two are honors and just about straight "A"s
(of course what would you expect since my wife tied for top of her class but wound up with second. The youngest is the only one that thingks a 'B' is a good grade. No motivation no matter how hard we work with her. I personelly think she needs a change of location. After discussing this with the family some more today I have decided to put my resume on the computer (electronically) so I can send her up there early this week.
I really feel that this coming week will tell the tale at CNH of which way the company is leaning towards. They have met on and off for 2 1/2 weeks now (more off than on) They broke off talks on Thur. last week because of a death in one of the companys top negotiators family. Supposedly this Monday there is to be a top level meeting between union and comp. My president says he hopes they can continue to bargain Monday night (after the meeting).
I feel that this is the way it is going to go. The company is going to (before March 1) come to the union and tell them," We have bargained fairly now and can not come to an agreement. With this in mind we are now declairing that we are at IMPASE. So with this, you have (X amount of days) to except what we are offering with out union involement to deter from our offer or we will begin to replace you guys with perminant workers.
That is my gut feeling. If this comes true I will benifit from already starting to apply at the other place.
If not and the 2 sides come to an agreement and I have already applied I will be in a bad spot (becuase of family really wanting to stay for a few years longer) The ideal situation would be the lock continueing and I get hired at the new place. This would give me time to see if I like it there and if they like me also. Remember it does have some shitty hours 6pm till 6am and I never have worked crap hours like that in my life. (I am not that conceded to think that I may not work out for them)
I will spend tomarroo loading my resume (lord knows I will have to have my wife and spell check go over it since I can't spell for shit with out looking up every darn long word. LOL
Thanks alot guys, I needed that little push, like you all basically said, what do I have to lose. The only thing I was concerned with was if they like me and I go thru an interview and all of a sudden I go back to work here. If I decide to stay (for obvious reasons wife, inlaw child support if I don't) LOL and refuse the job offer I hope in 4 years if I re-apply I dont get black listed. That is my worst fear.
Thanks again ....

Moving

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-02-26          106874

I'll tell you a story about my brother: He was at university, and had a small sink in his room at the foot of his bed. To motivate him to get up in the morning he used to set the alarm clock on the edge of the sink and fill the sink with water. In the morning the alarm used to go off and he would flick the alarm clock into the sink full of water with his foot, then the panic of the electronic alarm clock in the water going Beep be beep beep be beeuuuuu buuuuuuuuu would wake him up and he would have to rescue the clock to prevent it from becomming water logged and ultimately failing. In the end that's how he got up in the morning the sheer panic of rescuing the alarm clock. Broken the bottom line is that you need to mindlessly light the fuse, only then will you realize that the dynamite is on fire and you need to get out of your comfort zone and change a few thinge, moving sounds like one of them!!! ....

Moving

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-02-26          106880

Tom,

We are ages and worlds apart but I sense from your posts of late and the lengthier they become, that "BrokennArrow" is just not just a name anymore it is becoming a personal fact!!
I'm undoubtedly in the last phase of my life at 63 and in my second phase I raised 2 kids all with moving 21 times wife,kids,kit and kabottle!! All survived except Wife!

I now am beyond the age of Commercial flight status but have a new profession on my own terms with a Kubota Dealer a very nice G/F and am now raising two teen boys, 4 Dogs 1 Cat, and own my own home!! life just keeps getting better all the time!!

The point is take the new Job, All we be freshly challenged and nothing ventured nothing gained!!!!!!!

Your a bright guy! Go for it!!

Dean

Moving

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-26          106884

LMAO
ANN that is an awesome story
I agree whole heartedly with the comfort zone thing.
In short, every place I have worked has shut down in my life or moved! A tool and die job shop was open for 35 years. I had almost 10 in there full time when they moved and eventually shut down. the next place was open for 42 years. I had 8 months in there when they down sized and eventually shut down.
Next place was Tri-Clover Inc. pumps valves dairy and beverage industry. open in my town for around 87 years. I had almost 7 in there when they down sized and eventuall closed in my town. I was at a short interem job while on severance from the last place. When I got hired at JI Case Inc. I quit Dynamatic. Open for over 70 years in my town. They eventually shut down after my 3 months of working there about a year after I left.
Now I have worked at Case/ CNH for almost 8 years minus the strike time. LOL It dont look good!
My numbers should add up to 22 years (If not round off the company's and it will come to 22)
My reason for posting that is this. Becoming comfortable in a place is very easy to do. Not only do you not want to lose accrued vacation but if it is a defined retirement plan it makes it harder to leave. Those reasons along with maybe thinking you have become lost in advancement or needed skills. Couple that with just the fear of a new job and you have a recipe for a stagnant wage (in some cases) and a reason for not looking to better your situation. What I have found (and maybe I am wrong or have just been lucky) is that every time I left a company (and never by choice mind you LOL) I have increased my yearly wage! Every time! I know what your talking about and am not affraid to move jobs any more because I was lucky enough to experiance that. The knowlege you gain at different places of employment all add up. Even though it may not be used directly at a new place it in most cases is helpful This time how ever may be different (and maybe not) for me. This place does "DIE" work and I have not built a die in over 12 years.
Many changes in how they do this has come since then MANY!!! Different technology and process to be honest worries me a bit. Although I have been in R&D and a TOOL room for the last 12 years it still is not die building and repaire. This coupled with the new place is a state of the art facility. I have not worked in a place like this in "well maybe ever!"! LOL Although I have experiance and age on my side those young pups may have advanced so far that I may not fit in. Then again many things are the same and just need a tweeking to figure out how things are done in a new place (I keep telling myself that anyways) In conclusion though I do think you hit it on the head. Complacency and the "comfort zone" is hard to leave. What I do know though is that I am going to have to make a career change (or company change) in 5 years anyway Because I am moving by then one way or the other. This is my driving force that is telling me to do it now.
My greatest fear is that the move does not work for the family and I get blamed for this resulting in divorce or resentment and at the least maybe just bad feelings my wife may have for me if things dont work right. This is why I am tenative of making a rash spur of the moment decision so fast. Last year was a son of a gun for my family things just dont seem to be getting better yet. I dont want to compound things with out thinking it thru totally. LOL This situation will not allow me the time to be 100% sure. I know I am talking in a 360 degree rotation. Thats because my head is spinning so damm much every day I dont know if I am doing the right thing or not. LOL
Thanks for the great advice. I think I better apply and let the chips fall where they do. ....

Moving

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-26          106885

Dean
My New Holland dealer has told me I would make an excellent salesman at the dealership! LOL
21 times!!!! WOW Your a better man than I and like I said in my last post the wife is one thing I am worried about. Sorry to hear that about you and yours! ....

Moving

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-02-26          106889

" WIfe on a spur of the moment feeling told me to apply and lets move."

If that's true Pack your shit (if it were mine I'd say stuff but since it's yours it will be just shit) Geroge Carlin taught me that!!

My Friend you have way too much time on your hands now !! Just do it don't look back! LOOK UP!!! It always works!!

Dean ....

Moving

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-02-26          106894

If you do move, remember to negotiate a relocation package. Also, if they have waited this long, maybe they would wait until after school is out for the move. Then your whole family could move together...the youngest one might find that a little easier to take. There is nothing harder on a child than taking away their stability. You may also be setting your wife up for big battles with her which would produce lots of stress, pressure, and resentment...after school is over would eliminate most of that. Just a thought... ....

Moving

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-02-26          106895

Hey Wait a minute!!
Military kids (Brats) move all the time and they are more well rounded than most!!

If it's ok with Your Momma Mia it'll be ok with Your Missy Mia!! She will see to it!!!! and the young girl will grow in the process!!

My Two Daughters are now both educated and have fine stable families of there own !! While most of there old HS friends do not!!!

Dean

Moving

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-02-27          106914

I wanted to post earlier but had to run to church. My opinion is fairly simple. This battle with the union and CNH is only the beginning. Even if they do come to a contract, there will be another battle when it ends.

It sounds like the tool and die shop you are thinking about is doing what they need to do to compete against the Chinese die makers. Meaning provide the manpower to work on the tools 24/7. That way they can provide a tool in as quick of time as China, but with US craftsmanship and without the shipping time. If they are being that progressive, you may want to get on board.

I know the hours suck. I did those hours, but on a rotating basis. It sucked! I would have been better off staying on the midnights so my body could adjust and be ok.

You daughter. Well, that's a tough one. When I was 14, I decided to move from my mom's to my dad's place. New state, new town, new school. It was the best thing I probably could have done for me. It got me to make new friends and try new things. It made a big difference for me.

A coworker moved here from his previous location. His daughters had to change high schools. Several months later, they went back to visit their old friends. It was a shock for them as their friends had moved on into very cliche type circles. They went back to the new home and never looked back.

Ultimately, you have to do what is best for you and your family. Have to look to the future. It may suck for now or the next 6 months. But what is going to be the best in the long term? Only you and your wife can decide that. Maybe sit down with her and discuss your concerns. She may have a unique insight that could help you.

But I do say go for it.

Moving

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-02-27          106917

Hi Tom. Quite a deal you have going on.. tough one.. We both know CNH is not a tool and die shop, it is mostly just machine repair, if you truly love die making it just ain't it. Like you said, working there as opposed to working in a "real" die shop is going to be very different, machinery and quality. You can do it!!! I never had the training you had and I have never taken a job that within a short time I couldn't handle it, you just adapt to new surroundings and rules. The hours are bad, 6pm to 6am sucks big time. I personally could handle second, but third shift I just could not get a handle on and I worked it for several years and hated it every minute, you do it cause you have to for a while. Maybe you could get on day shift after a while. Moving from Racine to Eau Claire , like that is a big thing, from crime city to a little piece of Heaven , and to be closer to what you love, kids in college, and the farm.. I moved from where you are now and it is so much safer, quieter, peaceful, less stressful, more beautiful here, I could go on, and you are concidering moving a little farther north, it should be better yet. I don't know what you will do, but all I can say is , Best of luck , hopefully it all works out for you and your family and this is soon all behind you. JohnJ ....

Moving

View my Photos
bobkro32

2005-02-27          106922

Broken--

I've been watching your posts over the last few months, and have read the frustration and anger in your posts. To me, this layoff thing is getting the best of you, and you need to do something about that. My advice to you regarding moving, starting a new job/career, and taking risks based on your knowledge of your abilities is based on probably 25+ moves, first as an Army brat and then as an Army officer, and three career changes coupled with moves. In general, nothing worthwhile is without risk, so don't let risks/problems concern you per se. Just estimate the risks/problems carefully. Suggest the following:

1. Get real with your wife. Tell her about your fears, listen to her about her fears. Tell her what you feal are the positive aspects of the new job/locataion, and listen to her version of the same. Often, my wife would suprise me in saying that what was a fear of mine about her well-being was in fact not a concern of hers at all. You need to be honest with each other, and listen to what she is saying and not saying. My guess is that, together, you make a much stronger team that you do as individuals. She balances your weaknesses, and you hers.

2. Your daughter will be a problem, but despite what she thinks, it won't be the end of the world. I certainly agree with the suggestion about not moving during the middle of the school year. Summer moves are the best by far. Talk to her the same way you talked with your wife. Listen to your daughter's concerns--they are very real to her. In the end, however, you have to do what is best for the entire family.

3. If the risks seem worthwhile (not necessarily minimal), go for the interview. Nothing is as bad or as good as it seems, so go back to paragraph one above. You seem to be the kind of guy that can make his own breaks. Good breaks come to those who prepare for them and then seize the opportunity.

4. You also appear to be a guy who has marketable skills, is good at what he does, and is not shy about saying what he thinks about his ability. Those are good traits to have at job hunting/interviewing time. IMHO, you also seem to get hotheaded/go on a toot at times. My advice would be to downplay that aspect of your personality at interview time.

4. Assuming you are inclined to take the offer if certain conditions are met and the interview results in a reasonble job offer (surely they won't meet all your wants), confirm the deal with your wife, and get on with it.

b

Moving

View my Photos
grinder

2005-02-27          106927

BA
Been thinking about you situation, and what I would do.
You have a full plate and I respect you for your obvious
priorities,your family.
I might suggest you lighten your load and sell your Dad's
house now. Seems this need's to be done regardless.
Not an easy thing to do I know. But might take some weight
off. ....

Moving

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-02-27          106930

I had a similar decision to make about seven years ago. My wife and I had to decide whether to move to my very small hometown for my career or to stay in a larger city where she is from and start my new profession there. She was doubtful about the small town life because of the lack of conveniences and cultural things, etc., and also worried a bit about the school situation and our social life. To get to the point, we sat down and actually made a "pro and con" list about each option. This exercise really helped us communicate our feelings to each other and helped analyze the problem. In the final analysis, the pros outweighed the cons for the move to the small town. We both now agree that it was definitely the right decision, and we are both glad that we made the choice. Even though it was a little scary to make a change (especially for her), changes are what make life better. I suggest that you and your wife discuss the pros and cons carefully, and do what makes sense in that analysis. If the exercise points toward making the move, set aside your natural fear of the unknown and trust your good common sense. Good luck. ....

Moving

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-02-28          106953

Broken,
I'm a UW-EC graduate so I lived there for four years. Even now I'm only one hour away so I know the city well and typically do most of the "big" shopping there. As you've probably seen, EC is big enough to have most anything you need (unless you're big on the opera and such :) ).

Both public High Schools (Memorial and North) as well as Regis (catholic) are excellent schools so you don't have to worry about the quality of her education.

If I didn't have to drive an hour into Minnesota to work every day I would love to live closer to EC. I too would be closer to my land up north (100 miles from EC). I would say I could use it more but I'm up there every weekend anyway :).

From your description it sounds like a good move. I know you would love the area. It would be fun to meet you sometime.
Dave ....

Moving

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-02-28          106955

Ditto. ....

Moving

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-02-28          106970

My dad always taught me not to count the chickens before they're hatched. Suggest you go for the interview. You may not like what they have to offer. Likewise, they may not like you either. If you get the job, it may take up to several weeks for you start. That gives you some time to get things in order and for mom and the kids used to the situation.

Stay someplace cheap close to work during the week away from mom and the kids. See if you like it, etc. By then your kid will be out of school. That should solve some of the problems or atleast ease the tension. Sounds like you need to get lots of things in order anyway and a drastic move maybe will just disrupt things more.

Sincerely,
Ann Landers et al ....

Moving

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-01          107055

I can not believe how just about ALL of you covered everything we have discussed in my house this week! It is amazing I mean everything! Even yoopers last post was just disscussed 45 min. ago. I come to the site and read all the great responses. I have to count my chickens before they hatch though. Reason being is that when I decide to do this I better be darn sure this is what I want. If I do not get an offer I will have lost nothing but alot of time talking and worrying if it will be the right move. I DID make a list of pro's and cons. LOL I did decide to live IN TOWN while on probation and not travel the hour to and from my house north of there. (if I get a job) I did look into schools. I have always planned on letting the kids stay in this town till the end of this school year. I can go on and on but you all have cover everthing I have done so far! Amazing how you all have put the same thought into this as I just like you would if it were your move. Thank you!
I sent the resume via e-mail today! Since my last post they have opened up even more positions there "tool room machinests". I went from being nervous to being excited about the possibility. All your answers and the 100% agreement to just do it has helped.
JWNGEI
Yes We both know that CNH does not have die work. Although we are not machine repaire either at the t-plant. Machines are off limits and vise versa. When I talk about tool and die it stems from the almost 10 years I worked in a progressive tool and die job shop. Almost exclusevly we mad progressive dies. Like I stated before I have not been in a die shop in years but that does not remove the DIE from my Tool and Die journeyman card or back ground. If I would of started my carreer at Case Corp. and only had CNH as my background then I would agree 100% with you. All the workers there have NO IDEA what the outside is like. Any tool make their that was to go to an outside job shop would have a very RUDE awakening. That is what I am a bit fearful of, since I have been in this psoition for 7 years and R&D for the 6 before that. Although we work in the tool room at the T-Plant I know it is not the same as a job shop envirenment. Been there done that! We do how ever have to "compete" with the outside on time and money or my boss jobs the work out. This is unlike many other trades at CNH where they do what they can with out fear of NOT having the job in their area.
In my area there is NO ass time to speak of but at the same time we dont have the stress and pressure of a DUE date that exists in most job shops. One of my fears staying at CNH too long was getting soft! This is easy to do and is one reason that the 4 "new guys" we have in the tool room hump-it like we had NO UNION behind us. We stress to get new equipment in the shop as often as we can. We have a Fadal, bridport cnc easy tracks, anilams on other mills, also we have a mazak lathe and mill that are 4 years old along with a vertical milling/boring CNC called a YMS where the table is set in a PIT and moves on tracks. The operator rides the machine. It has a travel of 11 feet! We do have some nice equipment but not ALL NICE machines.
Anyway I will keep you guys updated on if I hear from them. Sent in the info this afternoon so we will see.
PS. Sold my dads house yesterday! A lawyer paid my attorney a down payment and wants to pay "cash" ASAP.
Go figure huh? ....

Moving

View my Photos
grinder

2005-03-01          107064

BA
congrats on the sale. Get some tax advice "before" closing, inheritence,capitol gain etc. Might save you some surprises.
One item off the plate.
Think of all the money your saving on a shrink, with all
the imput your getting here. Too cool! Your Gellin!! ....

Moving

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-01          107075

Grinder LOL
Yes the lawyer has told me that the money left over from the house will be tax free. That being said though, he owes a ton on it (2 divorces) and we have lawyer bills (especially from that chick that wanted to dig him up) That I just found out about. By the time we pay all the bills he will not be worth alot. After splitting it with my sister I would be lucky to have enough set aside for a new cut but rest assured anything I get will be put directly into a retirment fund. The situation I am getting into (strike and all) it would be way to easy to blow that free money on living expenses and that is something I will not do so the sooner I get it where I cant touch it the better. We are talking well under 20K, not alot of money but it does wake me up to the fact that if he had less set aside we would be paying money out of our pockets. This is a good reality check for my wife and I for the reasons for life insurance. Even if it is the bare minimum it should be enough to settle all your debts and not leave your love ones with tough decisions. ....

Moving

View my Photos
grinder

2005-03-02          107113

Good Luck on the Job! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login