Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 7 3L Diesel glow plugs

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-15          138030

Ok, 2000 Ford F250 with 7.3L Turbo diesel. Starting very hard now. 150k miles too. Anyway, I suspect a glow plug or two are not functioning anymore. Anyone know how I can check and how I find them and how I replace them?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-15          138034

Finding is easy, look for something that looks like a spark plug stuck in each cylinder.

Checking them isn't any harder, just pull the wire off them and put an ohm meter between the contact and ground. If it is an open circuit, the glow plug is dead.

If you need to replace one or two they are just like swapping spark plugs.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kentfield
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-15          138037

Remove the valve covers they have a small two wire plug on them and a 10mm hex head change them all about 7 dollars each. Tape the socket too the ext and do not drop into the valley hard to get it back ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-12-15          138038

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure where they were. Some things I saw had them like spark plugs, others had them located under the valve covers. Obviously it's easier if I don't have to remove the valve covers...sigh. But if I have to, I will.

Since I moved, I don't have a house yet so no garage. So the cold mornings in Wisconsin cause problems. She really doesn't want to start when it's 5-10 degrees outside. Wasn't a problem 3-4 years ago so I suspect some glow plugs no longer function properly. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-12-15          138040

Everything Murf said is true, but testing them isn't anywhere near that simple. First you have to get the acceptable resistance range (in ohms) from Ford. Then you have to remove them from the truck. Then clean them with parts cleaner and a wire brush to get rid of all the carbon and grease. Then wait till they reach room temp, as consistent resistance values are best taken at 70F. Replace any glow plugs that do not produce a resistance value inside the Ford specs.

Personally - at 150K - I'd skip the testing and replace all eight.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-12-15          138041

Greg, like spark plugs, they may work fine, but it's a pain to find out. At the cost, I'll just replace them if I can get to them. That's the key since I have limited work space and tools since I'm homeless.

If I pop the valve covers to get to the glow plugs, do i need new gaskets? I know the answer, just checking. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-12-15          138044

As with the glow plugs themselves, I'd say odds are good that 150,000 mile gaskets need replacing as well.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-12-20          138203

Me way of testing glow plugs... A pair of jumper cables. With glow plug they either work or they don't. Remove them hook them up to the jumpers if they get cherry red they are good. If nothing happens, guess what? There bad.

The book calls for 3.2 hours to replace all of them. That is for some one with intermediate skill level. I do not know what your skill level is. But it is cold out side right now as you stated. You may just want to call around and find a shop with a cheap labor rate or some one that does side work.

Also have you been plugging the truck in over night? If not That will definitely help. If you are I would sure not forget because chances are you Will not get it started in the morning until you get it warmed up with the block heater. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-12-20          138216

Oneace: I can't plug the truck in overnight since I'm living in a glorified hotel (extended stay place). I sold my house so I'm in temp quarters until we get another one. I do have my tools as they are sitting in my brother's garage.

Since my truck sits outside now, the cold mornings are causing fits. Multiple attempts to start, massive surging when it does catch, etc. My wife hasn't found a job yet so I have been trying to cut expenses. So I'll try to do the job myself. But I'm having trouble finding the time. Since I don't have a garage, I'm stuck to weekends. Now with the holiday period, I have no choice but to travel to my in-laws out of state. So again, at least 2 weeks until I can work on it. Sucks!!

Maybe I will need to find a decent mechanic... sigh. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-20          138218

Now your's wife mechanical ability comes into play here...glow plugs ought to make great stocking stuffers and 8 of them no less. Sounds like a plan to me. Then there is the option of brother in law chipping in to help as their place. (Assuming you have a brother in law)

View my Photos
Murf

2006-12-20          138219

"...massive surging when it does catch..."

Get the oil and filter changed and be SURE they use the right spec. and weight of oil.

Change the fuel filter, and add lots of Power Service.

I *guarantee* that will make a world of difference starting.

Also, depnding on how old your batteries are, they may be getting weak. Go to any decent auto parts place, they will check thim, individually, in the truck, just by disconnecting them. I'll bet you have at least one weak battery.

The surging is indicitive of an oil problem. As you probably know, these engines use the motor oil as a hydraulic fluid in the high energy injection system.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-12-20          138220

Does the 7.3 not have the manifold heater like the Cummins? When I first got my truck the lights flickering would bother me as the electric heater cut in. I searched the Cummins sites and finally figured out what is was.

If there was a problem with the manifold heaters or heat riser on the Ford it might give similar problems. I am sure my Cummins would have similar problems on a cold day with out the manifold heaters. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-12-20          138222

I have stayed in a few hotel/motels over the winter months when I had my PS. I basically walked around the building until I found an out side outlet or If it was a ground level room parked as close as possible and ran an extension cord. Management never had a problem with showing me where one was if I could not find one my self either.

It time issue is why I said what the labor rate was. To get something tore down and then run out of day light can really burn you up (first hand experience over and over again).

The Cummins has the manifold heater in place of glow plugs. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-12-20          138224

Murf, fuel filter was changed less than 1,000 miles ago. Oil is standard Rotella and is no more than 2,000-2500 miles old. Batteries are new as of October. My stock ones were going on 7 years old so it was time. The new batteries did make a difference. But she doesn't like those cold mornings when it's 5 degrees F or colder.

My power service is sitting somewhere. I'm not sure where I stashed it. Maybe at my mother's place. I'll have to look for it next time I'm there.

One problem with my hotel is it is a group of several small buildings. The parking lots are spread out and not close to the buildings. I'll look tonight for an outlet, but i don't have my hopes up.

It starts fine now that the mornings have been 20-30 degrees out. It just doesn't like to start when the temp drops. So I'm thinking glow plugs. The dang belt is chirping again too. But I won't change that until I pull my tractor back here. she shifted hard while towing and seemed to cause the belt to slip just a tick. So now it's doing it a touch more. Annoying. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-12-20          138227

Ok, as long as you've got that covered, the PowerService will still help IMHO.

The other trick is to cycle the glow plugs more than once. When the glow plugs heat up a 0°'ish temp's a lot of the heat is nearly instantly absorbed by the head itself. If you cycle the glow plugs, then shut the ignition off and wait about 5 seconds, then cycle them again, and try to start it when they go off for the second time I'll bet it starts easier.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-21          138247

I don't use starting fluid or so far have only on one old backhoe and then WD 40. Have seen it used a lot on bigger diesels when cold. Have impression not good with glow plugs to use it but not sure that is correct. Until you are able to get glow plugs changed, could you use starting fluid?

I have no idea if that is an option or if so is a good option.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-12-21          138252

I'm not going to try starting fluid. I used it to good success on my old Oliver tractor. But if that caused damage, no big deal. On the truck... big deal. So I'll just stay away.

I looked at the truck last night while it warmed up in the work parking lot. Getting at the valve covers is a PIA. I may pay someone to do the job. If I was still at my place in Iowa, I'd tackle it no problem. But then I had an enclosed shop and all my tools, lights, step stools, etc to work with. Here, I've got tools only. Just not the best situation for what is needed. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-12-21          138256

Yes I think most of us on the board, except Oneace are getting too old to be standing in a snow bank wrenching on cars. One of the coldest jobs I can remember was replacing a clutch on my friends Camaro in Edson AB in April.

What I was trying to get at on my earlier question was whether the there was a heat riser for the incoming air on the 7.3? I have had the pipe corrode out on the back side and not draw air from the exhaust manifold heater into the air box and then wonder why I was getting carb icing. I thought it might be a simple solution that could have been over looked. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-22          138273

Iowafun,
trying to quote someone else, "I'm just asking"
are you saying that an Oliver engine is tougher than the Ford is? :)

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-12-27          138366

Nope, just saying the Ford truck drives me to work and costs more to fix if I screw it up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login