No more parts for Yanmars : Yanmar Tractors  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review No more parts for Yanmars : Yanmar Tractors -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Yanmar Tractors Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-19-2003, 07:04 Post: 49502
marklugo

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 No more parts for Yanmars

Can anyone confirm that approximately 10 days ago that Yanmar has sent out another letter to its dealers that all parts are being completely cut off to its dealers? A large Yanmar importer said he was through with them because of this. Any one care to touch this? How about it Dave? Any truth?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-19-2003, 11:37 Post: 49538
DavesTractor

Filter by User

Parts are still available, but getting them from Yanmar USA for a gray machine is going to be more difficult. Apparently Yanmar USA got named as a defendant in a lawsuit involving an injury or death that occurred in the US on a gray tractor. They were pulled into the suit because it was shown that a good deal of the parts they sell are for grays, not the USA Yanmars. In essence, the plaintiff attorney was able to make a convincing argument that Yanmar was giving tacit approval of bringing in the grays by way of supporting them here. A bit of a stretch, but when you have a loss of life or serious injury, all defendants are sought out, especially those with deep pockets. Yanmar has now taken a stronger stance and officially states there position, in no uncertain terms, on their website.

So what do we do? You can still order parts for USA Yanmars, but they require a model number and serial number to verify that the parts are going on a USA tractor. I am not a Yanmar parts dealer, but apparently they can still make monthly stock orders without serial numbers. I would think the shelves will remain full of the commonly used parts, but it will take a bigger parts investment by the dealer.

Keep in mind that many companies, such as Frederick's Importing, have been developing aftermarket sources for many parts even prior to this recent event. Also companies like West Kentucky Tractor Parts have a large supply of parts tractors. There are a few common parts to John Deere (actually thousands...but never the ones we seem to need). Most seals and bearing, filters, belts, hoses, etc are common hardware items.

What we are doing if we get into a bind is to just order the parts directly from Japan. We bring over a container every 6 weeks or so, so if it is not a hurry, we can have our supplier put a box of parts in the container. If we need the parts ASAP, we have them FedEx'd. It takes 2 days for FedEx to get a part from Osaka to Red Bluff. FedEx isn't cheap.

We are also importing Iseki's. The newer models are really nice. There are not as many parts resources, but we are learning that most parts can be bought via an Agco dealer, or from an Iseki dealer (yes there is an Iseki dealer in the US...Rainbow Distributing in Hawaii). For the sake of time, and because my knowledge is limited, I won't go into the model numbers and how they cross over to White, Bolens, Massey, or Caterpillar (the new Cat CUT's are Iseki TA's).

Now my disclaimer....guys like Len and others are the true guru's on the parts issues. I'm not, although I am learning. If my statements above are wrong or need clarification, I'd welcome the input.

02-19-2003, 15:23 Post: 49561
marklugo

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Thanks,

It has been my concern since gray markets have been being dumped on the American Market, that a lot of problems were being created long term. I know you and others sell them and need to make a living. But the fact is that these tractors just weren't meant for stupid, letigious minded Americans. People get killed and hurt everyday on tractors as it is but without ROPS shields, saftey devices, dealers are inviting trouble, even if they relieve their guilt by having customers sign a release. The problem exists with the fact that these are appealing tractors to first time buyers. ( Flies love flypaper, they are just too dumb to know it means their death) Generally buyers who buy these tractors are uneducated and unprepared to safely operate a tractor anyway. The first time something happens, it is the tractors or dealers fault (certainly no one wants to accept responsibility for his own ignorance.) They find them a fancy lawyer and then the rest is all down hill. It gives the tractor industry (dealers in particular) a black eye everytime you read of a tractor related death or injury. I just hope that this market (and I mean no offense) will just fade away and restore the market it has taken from legitimate new tractor companies.

02-19-2003, 16:14 Post: 49562
DavesTractor

Filter by User

Mark, I also sell new Bransons and used compacts built in Japan but sold new in the USA, such as New Holland, John Deere and Kubota.

I understand your remarks and they hold some truth. You and I will differ in our conclusion of the value of gray market tractors though, but that is OK.

Many of the older "USA" compacts do not have ROPS or shields, nor do the popular 8N and 9N tractors that also appeal to new buyers. Our society is very litigious, and few are willing to admit or take responsibility for their own actions...but that is not just a tractor issue.

I think the gray markets provide a high quality tractor at a reasonable price, and if done honestly, they really do provide a great value. Are there a lot of flakes that call themselves "dealers" and start selling Yanmars? Yes there are...too many in fact. But there are a number of us that do it right. We're happy to sell a few tractors and I think that the JD, Kubota and NH guys have little to fear.

02-20-2003, 06:37 Post: 49592
marklugo

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I understand your reasoning, but I think my main contention is that these tractors are aimed at first time buyers ho would ordinarily buy a new one. Many times (because of new paint and those high tread rice patty tires), many people think that these are relatively new tractors and they bite the barbed hook. They have little or no reason to suspect otherwise. Yes we have used tractors here in the U.S. but this is problem enough. There is a little known law or statute that used U.S. tractors.( It probably applies to grays as well) if sold by a dealer must meet ROPS standards. This is often ignored but creates a liability on a dealers part to provide basic saftey devices and retrofit all tractors coming on their lot. This includes 8N's. There are many aftermarket ROPS providers that are equiping these tractors. The problem is that there is little or no way to provide ROPS on these gray market tractors. This could easily(although I'm no legal beagle) be construed as negligence by a jury or court and open one stinky can of worms for everyone.

02-20-2003, 10:17 Post: 49617
DavesTractor

Filter by User

Mark, to the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement that we install ROPS on the used tractors we sell. The lack of ROPS is a valid concern, and one that I discuss with each and every customer. A tractor can be rolled on flat ground, but for the most part they are rolled when equipped with a loader and operated unsafely or on uneven terrain. I have encouraged buyers to not buy a non-ROPS tractor in some situations. Every tractor comes with manuals, including a very good safety manual. Most people with ROPS equipped tractors fail to use safety belts. At that point, the ROPS just becomes something to be trapped under. If you have a ROPS, buckle up!

About half (just a guess) of our buyers are first time buyers. Most can easily afford a new tractor if they chose to do so. Many of the locals are orchardist. There are no ROPS in orchards, even if it is a brand new JD.

I am wondering why you are concerned that we are hurting the mainstream dealers? I have read an earlier thread (which I think Len responded to) that was along the same lines. Perhaps you have just seen too many gray dealers that did a really lousy job and/or misrepresented the product. Just be aware that there is a group of us that are very honest and ethical in what we do.

I myself get irritated often by bogus claims by unscrupulous "dealers". Recently a guy on ebay was advertising a YM2000 as only having 10 hours and only being a couple years old and having 30HP. All of which is a baldface lie. I contacted the guy and he said he thought it to be true. He's either stupid or a liar, and I'd guess the latter mixed with the former. Guys like that need to go. Of course I suppose there are more than a couple dishonest dealers out there selling JD, NH or Kubota as well.

I suspect we will remain in disagreement over this, but I appreciate the kind manner in which you respond.

02-22-2003, 00:14 Post: 49751
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I recently considered one of theese tractors. There were a number of things that bothered me not the least of which was that I needed to check references on the sellers. One of my tactics was to try to get a couple of parts prices for the tractor I was looking at. I literally found scads of parts dealers, or so I thought. as I pulled up many of the web sites there were notes that they could no longer get parts so they had quit the buisiness. Many others just didn't respond. Two did but neither could get parts or would quote prices.That was pretty much the nail in the coffin. In the end I personally just didn't find them to be a very good deal. Many of the sellers want to sell sight un seen which to say the least doesn't seem a very prudent decesion.The thing that really bothered me the most was that all of them I looked at were low hour machines. Ya, I know the story about only being able to till twice a year in the land of rice, I also know that there not subject to our laws regarding turning back hour meters or odometers. Add to that the fact that parts are only getting more difficult to get and it was a easy decesion not to buy one of theese.

02-24-2003, 19:34 Post: 49919
marklugo

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Dave, I encourage you to check into the requirements of ROPS. Unless they have very recently changed it, you may be pooping bricks. :0 A few years ago, Farm Equipment Today had several series of articles on this very issue. I don't recall issue dates but surely someone at that fine dealer publication would have some knowledge of the archives.

02-24-2003, 19:41 Post: 49920
DavesTractor

Filter by User

Mark,

No offense, but if you have specific law or code, spell it out. Hinting at it doesn't help anyone.

I'll say it again, to the best of my knowledge there is not a law requiring ROPS on used tractors. I'd be glad to look into anything to the contrary.

Thanks,

Dave

02-24-2003, 19:56 Post: 49926
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Dave, You may want to check with your advisors. I really doubt there is a trade law on used tractors, however the real concern might be litigation. If you are a Licensed dealer, IE: collecting sales tax, store front etc. You will by the courts be considered a professional. Therefore you would most likely be bound by some sort of express or implied warranty that the item is safe. I doubt all the waivers in the world would help if you are aware that a tractor is safer with a ROPS and you sell one without to save $. Especially if someone was killed and there was documentation like a forum strand that proved you were aware of the danger. It might be worth the price of a phone call. Just my 2.5 cents worth

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Yanmar Tractors Forum

Thread 49502 Filter by Poster:
bruce1966us 1 | buppy69 1 | DavesTractor 7 | DennisCTB 2 | DocksKnotInn 1 | DRankin 6 | greg1 5 | Heidi ohhhhhhhhh my 1 | Heidy Hoe 1 | marklugo 9 | Misenplace 13 | proudYanmar owner 1 | tractor Ern. 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
cansox12

Massey Ferguson - MF205-4 anyone
MF205-4 anyone

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Yanmar 1500 how to operate
+ What are wet disk brakes
+ Yanmar 187D information
+ YM 1500 transmission fluid change
+ Yanmar 1500 Diesel Tractor
+ yanmar 1500D overheating
+ Roger Whats so great about Yanmar 336D
+ Top 5 things to do when bringing home a new tracto
+ Yanmar 155d