Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 1500D 4 wheel drive does not work

View my Photos
Ruel
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-10          44833

My 4 wheel drive is inop. Can anyone tell me where to start the trouble shooting.
The fluid is full and the lever seems to be fine.
Thanks
Ruel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-11          44858

My 4wd engage linkage broke inside the DIFF cases. Something mechanical still felt like it was happening when pulling the engage lever, but the lever moved over a much further range than normal. I didn't need to test it, but I imagine that I could have pulled the lever back and forth while the tractor was running and the clutch out with no effects. Without chutching, it should seriously grind.

If it grinds while trying to engage the 4wd with the clutch out, the linkage is good and the problem likely is in the front drive train. In that case, the problem could be anywhere from a pinion at a differential ring-gear to final reduction gears on the ends of the front axles. One test for a broken front axle is to raise both front wheels and rotate a wheel by hand. The other wheel should rotate backwards. There may be better tests that others will suggest, and keep in mind that sometimes broken shafts will turn when they aren't under loads.

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-11-11          44869

You might want to pull back the driveshaft cover and see if it is spinning. You'll need to have it jacked up and put stands under it first. Dave ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-12          44906

I believe that Dave knows his Yanmars, so looking at the front drive shaft likely can be done and that would be a pretty good test.

Take care with things on stands. We just had the second funeral around here in four years due to people working underneath vehicles on stands. There aren't that many people to start with, so two in four years is a pretty significant rate.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-12          44912

And DON'T trust your FEL to hold up the front end. Use heavy duty quality jackstands all the way around. ....

View my Photos
yanmar

2002-12-16          46185

Thanks to all for your help,and a special thanks to Dave.
You were on target in the trouble shooting phase. The coupling on the drive shaft was slipping. I replaced the coupling on the Drive shaft and the ball bearings. The shaft seems to be at an angle to great to to keep the coupling intact, or the shaft coming out of the front axle is worn. When I have it on the jack stands all works fine, but if I start working it, it starts to slip again. Any suggestions other than replacing the shaft coming out of the front axle?
Again my thanks to all of you for your kind help.
Ruel ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-16          46201

You have to visually inspect the fwd input shaft to determine if it is bad. The splines should have square cut edges & not be rounded. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-17          46210

This is sort of an alternative possibilities comment. I'm curious if the input to the coupling can be seen to spin with no output rotation when the tractor is working and the drive is slipping. I ask this only because it not unheard of for some types of failures in differentials/axles to work OK on stands but not under loads.

The comment that the shaft and coupler don't seem be be at the right angle on the ground bears checking. As Leonard mentioned certainly the splines on both halves to be OK and inspection shouldn't be too difficult. I do recall a discussion about a Ford 1210 I think where a frame cross-member failed and resulted in a similar problem. Such a possibility might be checked unless the splines are in very bad shape.

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-18          189625

Hello,

I just picked up my first tractor (Yanmar 1500d) and after 3 hours of moving some dirt around in the backyard the 4wd stopped working. It is amazing how fast you can get stuck in sand with only RWD. I bought it through a private party and he had just replaced the couplers on the front driveshaft and it looks like that is what failed again. Since I don't trust the guy I bought it from I am going to replace the couplers myself. I already have the manuals on order but I would like to take off the shaft just to get some parts on order. I removed the cotter pin, slid the washer and spring back and it will not slide back "into the tranny" to be removed. Am I missing a step? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2014-03-18          189626

The coupler on the front of the shaft needs to slide back. ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-18          189627

Please correct me if I am wrong. The coupler is inside the welded "cup" on the front of the driveshaft. The aft end has the splines. It failed at the front coupler. I can shake it around and I think that the bearings either ground up or fell out (or all of them were never installed in the first place)!!!There is a nut with a "lockwasher" as well...

thanks! ....

View my Photos
winston1

2014-03-18          189629

don't know whether you are red or green?

http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=YM15004WDINTERNAL

http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=YM1500G4WD ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-18          189630

Ha!! After looking at both diagrams, it looks like mine was put on backwards!!! Is that even possible?

The tractor is red... But I will verify when I get home what it really is. I believe that you can tell by the casting of the transmission..?

But the spring and splined shaft interfaces with the transmission... ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2014-03-18          189634

It is on backwards. The coupler should move on the splines enough to drop that end of the drive shaft, There should be 6 ball bearings in there. ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-19          189638

Got it off last night and cleaned all of the grease off... The bearings are all there (6 at each end) and all of the bearing surfaces look good. The splined surface/edges look good and the female splined coupler sleeve also looks fine. This weekend I am going to repack the bearings and install it the correct direction and see how engages.

Now for another interesting part... The forward portion of the tractor "frame" broke where some of the engine mounting bolts go through. The previous owner repaired it by adding 3/8" plate against the flat edge of the frame and welding around the perimeter. However there was a 1/8" gap where the frame had broken (on both sides). This would in turn make the front drive assembly be 1/8" further from the transmission.. I am hoping that that is not the reason the front driveshaft was disengaging.

Has anyone else had a problem with the integrity of the frame? ....

View my Photos
winston1

2014-03-19          189640

Never heard of a frame breaking. I have heard of the bell housings breaking. Looking at this drawing, just where did the frame break? http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=YM15004WDEXTERNAL ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-19          189642

Looking at that image, going from the right on the picture of the frame, it broke though the 3rd set of dual bolt holes on both side (right before the 1st crossmember). It makes sense as that would be the weakest point.

When I was under it I noticed that the front axle only has about 1/8" to 3/16" of clearance under the frame on each side. That clearance only allows the front axle to tilt a small amount. Does this sound correct? I wish I had another 1500d to compare to!!!

thanks- ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2014-03-19          189643

Add washers between cotter pin & spring to make up for the difference ....

View my Photos
winston1

2014-03-19          189645

Balancing out the swivel on my 2002d I have appx 7/8" on each side. Little larger than your 1500 but 1/8 to 3/16 doesn't sound like enough to me. Guess you have looked over your swivel for unusual slack, etc.?

I notice too in the parts drawings there are shims on the swivel that would move the front axle fore or aft. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2014-03-20          189663

Hey Bentrailfab.... I live on a sand dune and have spent a lot of time and money figuring out how to make a small tractor work on loose sand.

What kind of tires are you running? ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-20          189667

Good morning!

I live about 15 minutes south of the Pismo Beach Sand Dunes... We don't have soil, we have sand. And everything sinks in it.

I am running (what I believe) are the stock ag tires. I will try and add a pic below. I was looking at replacing the wheels/tires, but at $1500 I am going to hold off.

Thanks ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-20          189668

Picture Link
Yanmar Tractors Yanmar 1500D 4 wheel drive does not work

View my Photos
DRankin

2014-03-20          189675

Geez.. no wonder you are getting stuck. My first tractor had those same tires and anytime I tried to turn it up-hill it would become a stationary rototiller.

Ag tires shine in pasture/wet land situations, but are exactly the worst possible tire for sand.

My current tractor will now easily go up sandy slopes in two wheel drive where it struggled before with factory turf tires in 4wd.

You can make this machine work MUCH better in loose sand for a lot cheaper than $1500

But first, tell me about those rim sizes. Is that a narrow 12 inch rim on the front and maybe 16 inches on the rear?

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-20          189678

Ha, that is great! "a stationary rototiller"... That is exactly what it is. I should just park it over all of the gopher holes and 'till them up!

I am not sure of the tires sizes... I will check them out when I get home.

My wife has been giving me stink-eye after it broke 1 hour after buying it and driving it around the yard.. Putting the driveshaft back on in the correct orientation should get it going again. Hopefully I can get it making progress around the property without spending much more money on it. A full fluid and filter change with a coolant flush is due this weekend. ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-27          189807

Fixed!!! It is crazy how a drive shaft would work better facing the right direction!!

On a side note, the spring that causes the coupler to slid forward on the splined shift was distorted at the coupling end limiting the amount of pressure on the coupler. Nothing that pliers couldn't straighten, but could also me the reason it was popping off.

DRankin, here are some pics of the tire sizes that I am using... What do you recommend for sand? ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-27          189808

Rear Tire - 8.8 - 22 ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-27          189809

Front tire - 6-14 TR-126 ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-27          189812

Has anyone ever machined out some spacers and added another set of wheels to the back? In essence, make it a "dually"? This would widen the stance for stability as well as let you ride above soft soil. ....

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-03-27          189813

Is this common with a 1500D? Can it be done? ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
DRankin

2014-03-28          189818

Well those rims are going to get in the way.

The key to doing it on the cheap is to have rims that can fit common radial car/truck tires and then weighting the rear end and keeping the inflation pressures very low.

You would have to do a bit more work researching bolt patterns for the rear end..... the fronts might be workable.. and then locating used or cheap rims in the 15 to 16.5 inch range.

If you decide to go that route I can help you match the ratios for the front and rear.

As for dual rears here is a place to start:

Christian S. Hansen, Inventor, 510-601-7550
7135 Pinehaven Rd. Oakland, CA. 94611
www.TheTracksCompany.com
The Tracks Company is a Manufacturer of Specialty Wheel Spacers for Utility Vehicles and Compact Tractors.

View my Photos
Bentrailfab

2014-04-07          189970

DRankin, Thank you for info. I dig the idea of using "car" type tires.

I wonder how close the "wide 5" or old vw lug pattern is the Yanmar. You can buy steel VW rims for pretty cheap. I would think that you could make 1/4" thick plates that match the Yanmar pattern and then weld them on the outside of the steel wheel. Then back drill the holes through the rim.... What did you end up doing?

Thanks- ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login