Go Bottom Go Bottom

Top 5 things to do when bringing home a new tractor

View my Photos
thegogetter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-02-24          176982

Guys,
I'm bringing home my Yanmar 165d tonight and plan to do some simple maintenance to establish a clean schedule. Like I said previously, I'm not very familiar with diesel engines, but between a diesel mechanic buddy and I we should be able to handle just about anything that needs to be addressed.

Just curious what you recommend should be done?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-24          176983

The first question would be, is this a NEW or USED tractor. Being in a Yanmar forum it's probably used but the required checks would be different from new. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-24          176984

yes, its used : ) thanks ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-24          176985

1. Change the Oil and Filter
2. Clean the air filter and or replace it and blow off radiator.
3. Grease all fittings
4. Check coolant and or possibly change it or add rust inhibitor.
5. Check battery terminals and clean them
6. Drive it around, listen for weird noises, etc. Run the PTO and operate the FEL if you have one and the 3 point hitch.
7. Check tire inflation ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-24          176986

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperpete | view 176985
1. Change the Oil and Filter2. Clean the air filter and or replace it and blow off radiator.3. Grease all fittings4. Check coolant and or possibly change it or add rust inhibitor.5. Check battery terminals and clean them6. Drive it around, listen for weird noises, etc.Run the PTO and operate the FEL if you have one and the 3 point hitch.7. Check tire inflation

Awesome, thanks yooperpete. Exactly the direction I'm looking for. Anyone else feel free to add what you've done! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-02-24          176987

To be clear, when changing the oil and filter you should change ALL of it, engine and hydraulic system. I'd change any fuel screens and filters and look at the glass fuel bowl to see if any water has been trapped. My suggestion is to always use a fuel treatment, like Power Service, to keep algae from growing in the fuel and to raise the cetane level. This is even more important lately because of the issue of ethanol in diesel and phase separation.

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-24          176988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 176987
...This is even more important lately because of the issue of ethanol in diesel and phase separation...

Thanks kws, just curious if anyone else has seen or heard of ethanol in diesel? I am very familiar with biodiesel and seems as if your speaking about biodiesel which is completely different than ethanol. Gasoline is to ethanol as diesel is to biodiesel, follow me?

I do plan on using this tractor year round so don't think the fuel will have time to sit and ferment. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-02-24          176989

Not sure that PA requires a renewable component, and it if does, alcohol would work but is unlikely.

Get a manual for it, which will show you HOW to do what and when. Ask the previous owner if he knows what was done because one item (hydraulic fluid and internal filter) takes time, work, money.

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-02-24          176990

Welcome to the board, we always need new blood around here.

The others covered things real well so all I'll add is to use the fluids and filters the manual recommends. I have no idea if Yanmar has their own brand of fluids and filters, but if they do use them.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-02-24          176991

No, I wasn't talking about Biodiesel. There was an article recently somewhere about a proposal to add a small amount of ethanol to diesel fuel but I can't find it now. A bunch of truckers were up in arms about it, and with good reason IMO.

Fermentation isn't always about your use and storage habits, it includes every stop the fuel makes on the way to your tank. You could also buy a water filtering fuel funnel. I use one to keep any water in the fuel out of the tank and then always keep the tank full to keep condensation to a minimum.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-02-24          176992

Here's a link to an article about ethanol in diesel. I didn't read it, just posting the link, they want a subscription to read the content. ....

Link:   Ethanol in diesel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-02-24          176993

Another link to a company that sells O2Diesel, an ethanol diesel blend. Some searching shows that some commercial bus fleets are using it. Just a whiff of this sort of thing and you know the EPA will be all over it, mandating it for the rest of us. ....

Link:   O2Diesel

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-02-24          177006

I stand corrected on ethanol in diesel.

Frank, Yanmar does have its own filters. The oil one is easily matched with generics; the fuel, air, hydraulic are harder. It doesn't have its own fluids, but yannies don't work on hydraulic oil and need hyd/trans fluid which is a mite harder to find. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-02-25          177013

It has been recommended but do get a manual and then STUDY it. To me the diesel engine is important but the tractor operation is what can kill you. If you are not familiar with tractor get it in an open area (flat field is good) and get use to how tight it will turn and the use of the brakes (not locked together) combined with steering will turn. ALL done at very low speeds. You can roll a tractor just due to how sharp it will turn if done so at road speeds.

If you have slopes play with it slowing on them until you get some idea of how stable it it on your slopes. If you are carrying a load remember the lower it is the more stable you are.

The PTO is very dangerous. Many have lost an arm or been killed being caught in one. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-25          177015

Gotcha. Thanks guys. Brought her home last night and drove around 12" of snow like it was nothing.

Our entire property is flat but very wet in spots. I do have the original manual and will study it closely. It sounds like I'll need to do some homework on proper fluids (ie. the hydraulic vs. hyd/trans) and how to locate them.

Any additional thoughts are more than welcome. I'll post pics/vids soon : ) very cool! ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-02-25          177020

The manual predates modern fluids. Engine: diesel-rated, 15/40 or similar, now if it's black and every 100 hrs. Rad: Drain/clean/fill now and every few years, antifreeze according to label. Hyd: Drain. Pull/clean/replace internal screen as per manual. Hyd/trans fluid sold at tractor dealers and Walmart. Owner: single-malt scotch, then shut down. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-25          177021

ha! thanks auerbach. Will do : ) lol ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-25          177023

As far as engine oil goes, do you have a specific brand you recommend? synthetic or traditional? etc...? thanks again ....

View my Photos
strguy

2011-02-25          177024

having purchased an uncountable number of used machines, I make it a practice to change all fluids and filters. I then drain All filters for a doy or two, then cut them open and look for any signs of debris, metal or bearing particles. It will sure tell you alot about what you should keep close track of. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-25          177025

Quote:
Originally Posted by strguy | view 177024
having purchased an uncountable number of used machines, I make it a practice to change all fluids and filters.I then drain All filters for a doy or two, then cut them open and look for any signs of debris, metal or bearing particles.It will sure tell you alot about what you should keep close track of.

very wise, thank you strguy ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-02-25          177031

Oil brand? I like Valvoline because in a comparative product test (admittedly years back), all its samples were at or near the top. If not avail, any name brand. A lot of guys use Rotella or Castrol. You can even use gas-engine oil if you change it more frequently.

Synthetics are avail in a wider viscosity range (like 5/50) and hold their properties longer. But you don't change at 100 hrs because it degraded but because it got dirty, and synthetics get just as contaminated. The wide range would be worth the extra cost if you frequently started in cold temps for short periods. Otherwise I'd put the extra bucks into changing the filter at every change instead of every other that Yanmar calls for. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2011-02-26          177040

Thegogetter,

I haven't yet read all of the messages here, so this may have been covered already.

If your tractor is a 4-wheel-drive model, please spend a few minutes studying the proper adjustment procedure for the front axle pivot. (This may or may not apply to your tractor.)

The exact procedure should be covered in your manual.

Enjoy your tractor.

Joel ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-26          177048

Gotcha, will do. Thanks Joel ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-01          177110

Maybe I just missed it but I'm not aware of any such adjustment in a Yanmar. ....

View my Photos
winston1

2011-03-01          177111

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 177110
Maybe I just missed it but I'm not aware of any such adjustment in a Yanmar.
Me either. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-01          177123

Don't think this has been addressed but should be in manual.
If four wheel drive do not use in four wheel drive mode on solid hard surface as it might damage the drive system. Use only on loose surface.
If it has rear wheel or all four wheel lock..use very carefully and do not try to use single rear brake when engaged or turn sharply. Do not engage either while wheels are spinning.

One other thing, especially when using a mower use good safety glasses and ear protection. Also with mower of any kind run the engine at the rpm needed to have the pto speed the mower needs (normally 540 rpm for the pto). ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-21          177485

There are many excellent dealers for advice and parts but the one I've dealt with most is also in PA: Gary Jamieson at Jamieson Tractor. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-04-11          177906

Not sure if I can do this, but I have to give a shout out to Gary from Jamieson Tractor in Honesdale, PA. I've purchased several things from him over the last few weeks/months and he's always very professional and courteous. He's surprisingly knowledgeable about any little detail you could throw at him. Highly recommended and would not hesitate to do business with again. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login