Go Bottom Go Bottom

Sealed combustion fireplaces

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-05          146572

Anyone know anything about sealed combustion fireplaces? These seem to have most of the advantages of a woodstove insert but don't intrude into the room as far and wouldn't require a hearth extension. The only downside I see compared to some woodstoves is that wood goes in lengthwise and can roll out.

Link:   Constitution fireplace

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-05          146575

They're suppose to be more efficient, I hear. Since the make-up air for combustion isn't the same air inside the house so you won't get drafts. ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-10-05          146580

Those give you the fireplace look without the smoke in the house and heat up the chimney. They do not look anything like a wood insert. No drawback at all just kinda expensive but way better than just a fireplace and about as good as insert if not better because of the look you get. If you are worried about a log roll out just don't load it full all the time and you will be fine. Just always be prepared for anything to happen when the doors are open though!! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-10-06          146591

I wish the industry would standardize heat output ratings in a manner that could be compared apples to apples. The insert I was looking at is rated 12,000-50,800 BTUs on EPA Test Fuel (whatever that is) and 10,000-75,000 BTUs on cord wood. The sealed combustion fireplace is rated at up to 51,400 BTUs, no fuel specified. It seems they should be able to come up with a standard fuel load to measure maximum heat output under controlled conditions. My guess is the insert would provide a little more heat if only because it has more surface area in the room to radiate heat with. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login