Go Bottom Go Bottom

Harbor Freight Log Splitter for 1099

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-26          126689

I am looking at the HarborFreight 9 hp Robin engine 30 ton log splitter. It has a two stage Haldex 16 gpm pump, with a 2.5 gallon reservoir. Some of the other brands have much larger reservoirs, but other than the reservoir capacity they don't seem much diffferent, while the Harborfreight model has a great price.

Any thoughts?

Link:   30 ton Splitter for $1099

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-26          126690

I've been looking for a splitter too and am just beginning to research them. The 8" diameter limitation seems small. Is that typical of these kinds of chippers? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-26          126692

One of the things I have really learned to like about my 3 point splitter is the fact that I can mount it as high as I want while I am working.

I think my back would be hurting if I had to split wood stooped down as low as most the self powered units are set up.

I actually have my splitter on a heavy wooden table about waist high and I just back the tractor up to it and hook up the hydraulic lines.

I move the table and splitter together with the FEL/forks. It doesn't take up any more storage space than the trailered unit in the picture.

Back on point..... that is a real good price and it should certainly split a log larger than 8 inches.

Now the big question: How much do they get for freight on 663 pounds to the Dennis house?

View my Photos
harvey

2006-03-27          126694

Depending how much wood you split its your call. They are a basic small homeowner splitter for people that do not depend on wood for heat.

I like the wood to get pushed off the end of the wedge and as DR said I like it mid thigh high "NO BENDING OVER" to split.

I'm in the process of building a log/block lift to eliminate the picking up and for a level platform to work from once the initial split has been made.

There are lots of them parked around here. But they keep getting ressurected in different forms. Some of them only come out for a couple of days a year. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-27          126704

Ken,

My interpretation is that the 8" thing is that it will split a log straight through with an 8" diameter. If your log is bigger which they almost all are like 20", you have to rotate the log around to crack it like pizza pie slices.

Just my guess as I have never had one.

I am little confused on the work height comments. This HF splitter operates either horizontal where you have to lift the logs or vertical where you just roll the log into position. What else do you want to do.

I saw on the Timberwolf residential splitters that they had a flat piece of steel on the hydraulic piston instead of the splitting wedge, and had the wedge on the foot instead. Is that any better?

The HF splitter looks about the same as the one I saw at Lowes for twice the price.

I plan on buying about 5 cords of cut wood and then split it myself. During the heating season I will use it to make kindling, and to split small amounts of wood from my property. I am only going to use it for my own use, not commercial.

On the 3PH the standalone HF splitter is 660 pounds, but with wheels, wheels make it easier to put it anywhere I want to store it. Most 3 ph splitters are at least 350 pounds with no wheels, seems like it might be hard for me to move it around by myself and to put it in my garage to store it. Plus I would have to send my tractor to the dealer to get the hydraulic hook up, that alone costs 200 for transportation plus a couple hundred for the remote. Though I do like the idea of one less engine to maintain.

Just my ramblings. ....

Picture Link
Home Improvement Harbor Freight Log Splitter for 1099

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-03-27          126706

Sometimes Harbor Freight does free shipping. Also it may be available in one of their retail stores, so you could drive there to pick it up. Suggest looking at TSC as another alternative and hopefully they have a local store.

Northern Tool is another option but shipping is the problem. I looked at getting a landscape rake for about $425.00. The shipping was going to be $250.00. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-27          126707

Yooper, I looked at TSC but they are way more expensive, the HF splitter freight from what I can see is only about $50, which seems way too cheap on 660 pounds.

The HF deal seems to be so cheap, but will it do the job.

One of the main questions I had originally which no one picked up was "is the 2.5 gallon reservoir an issue" ?????

The pricey splitters have over twice the reservoir size? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-27          126709

Dennis, I, like Mark, have an aversion to do anything more than absolutely necessary bent over. I'm built to high up off the ground for doing that type of stuff anymore.

Whether the splitter is horizontal or vertical is moot unless the work is a minimum of 3' up, you will be bent over, it only changes whether or not you also have to lift anything while bent over.

My splitter at home is a 3pth, but since I have an adaptor to use 3pth implements on the FEL, I can raise the splitter to any hieght I want to comfortably work at, or lower it and even flip it over to split large blocks without having to man-handle them until after their split.

One of the big cost savings they are able to get, is the Robin engine, these are not the Robin (Wisconsin) of old. An Asian manufacturer bought the rights to the name, and produces them now. They are significantly cheaper, and also a lot less money, than say a Honda engine.

As for the reservoir, if it is only 2.5 gallons you will certainly stay warm splitting much wood. That reservoir will will be plenty warm, and hopefully have some sort of external cooling provided also.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-27          126710

The splitter I use is available at TSC for around $650.... Can you have the tractor rigged up with power beyond for the remaining $450 and still be out the same $1100?

As far as storage.... I have moved mine around on a hand truck, once I took the silly legs off. It wasn't too heavy. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-27          126718

What do they mean by "chain drive" on that splitter?

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-27          126719

I find the picture on the web to be hard to view for details on my computer. But if the splitting wedge is on the cyl rod as it looks and if the hoses are where they look to me to be, I think the split wood could push back agains the hoses. Not good.

However I see what looks to be a hyd cyl but it gives no details on the cyl as to size and it reads "chain drive".

Dennis, how do you know the reservoir's size? I don't see that spec nor do I see it in the picture.

Again, the picture is not easy to view for details on my computer. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-27          126720

Murf, I thought the Robin engine was a Subaru, so I thought it was not quite as good as a Honda but probably better than a Briggs. Is that correct?

On the reservoir, if I buy a 3ph style splitter there is no reservoir and I am using my tractors fluid, won't I be overheating my Kubota's fluids? I am not too keen on doing anything that could put inordinate wear on that machine, if that were the case.

TSC has a 5.5 hp Honda with 4.5 gallon reservoir, but I have heard that in use it seems to bog down a bit but still splits. Options options Options..... ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-27          126721

KT,

The owners manual in pdf format in the link below has the specs. It has 4.5 inch cylinder diameter, with 7 1/8 inch tall wedge.

I think the hoses do look poorly placed and one looks a bit short in the picture, they also don't seem to have the wire protection that most of them have in the stores.

Link:   30 Ton Owners Manual

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-03-27          126724

Over the years I've purchased lots of things from Harbor Freight even though I have this anti-Chinese manufacturing stigma. I have a 2HP/2 1/2 gallon air compressor and many little hand tools. They are all OK except for the twist drill sets. I don't know how they come up with the name Chicago Pneumatic.

My feeling is you get what you pay for. The prices are always good, the quality sort of so-so but quite lacking on durability if you use it to its limit or frequently.

My comment is, if you plan to use it hard or up to its rated limits and often, buyer beware!

If you are handy, you can replace a few hoses, change out a valve if it goes bad, weld up the frame if it tweeks or even increase the reservoir and still be ahead of the game. It's up to you! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-03-27          126725

Dennis, I would be concerned about the hydraulic flow you would have from your kubota with a three pt splitter. The two stage pump on the self contained splitter will cycle much faster than the 3pt model will. It looks like the specs for your 7610 are 7 gal/min but that might include the power steering pump as well.
Dave ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-27          126726

Dennis,

The manual is much better than the web view for me. I still wonder what the "chain drive" is they refer to on the catalog but do not see it in manual. Wonder if the motor is not direct to pump or if that is a misprint.

They do keep repeating 8 inch is largest diameter to split. Could that be due to height of wedge? Or is that a way to be safe for warranty?

Does the valve stay place is you release it to retract the cyl so you can be getting for next piece?

I am of the opinion HF is mainly Chianese. But for seldom use what I have seen of their products to look fair to good.

You can, ask their warranty, no doubt they have some time frame of if you are not satisfied, get the wood ready and run it and be sure.

As to the Chicago Pne. brand name. It was mentioned on some show on tv recently. Unless it is a twist on the name it is a very old company that made some of the first air tools.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-27          126727

KT,

The name is just a make up name for HF, no one else sells it according to HF.

The name is "Central Hydraulics" which means "not much".

ShortMagnum, yeah my Kubota also only has about 4 gallons of UDT, so maybe the cooling also would be inadequate.

I hate having the second low use motor around but it is probably best here.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-27          126728

Dennis,

I wonder just how much heating issue on the hdy oil you will have in the temps you have. I am assuming you will be splitting wood in the winter and not summer. But if it is summer, sweat baby sweat.

I think Northern Tool recommends reservoir of same size as gpm of pump. Wonder how close their splitters hold to that?

Sorry for the confusion on the name. I was referrring to

yooperpete's "I don't know how they come up with the name Chicago Pneumatic".

That name was mentioned on some history show about pneumatic tools as a company that developed drills or impact wrenches or such.

Dennis, as smart as you are, why not use the Mark Twain idea? Have a wood splitting contest each year. Give a hundred dollars to the winner. Require each to split say half a cord of wood and require at least 10 to compete?

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-27          126730

Kenneth, good idea, but you forgot to mention the $10 entry fee for each contestant.....

ROFLMAO.......

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-27          126732

KT I think you on on to something, I was listening to a podcast by the Java Posse and they had a guy there from a company called "TopCoder". The idea was that TopCoder would meet with customers to determine needs then TopCoder would run a "Coding Contest" to see who could come up with bes component solution. They only paid the winner of course.

OK so I will run a contest to see who can split the wood the best and award them a TP T Shirt, seems an ample reward ;-) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-27          126736

Murf, Dennis,

What brains! Now lets give it more thought:
First prize: week operating snow blower in Canada (probably only Southerners would want this.)
Second prize: week testing insect repellant in Georgia (SG could help out here)
Third prize: shooting Prairie Dogs (Iowafun?)

Grand Prize: Tee Shirt with a year's subscription might be just right!

Be sure to hold all video rights to it. It probably will be worth at least that $100,000 grand prize.

Hey, I almost messed up...about a month before the log splitting contest you need the tree cutting contest... and then about two weeks before you need the front end loader contest with loading, hauling and placing of load contest.

As I am LOL on this, it would work. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-28          126759

Dennis, I have had VERY good luck with my Harbor Freight log splitter that I purchased over 12 years ago. I split at least 5 to 7 cords of woood each year with it and it does a great job. I purchased the 20 ton model with the Honda engine. I think the model you mentioned would work great for you. I rarely come across a few pieces of wood that my 20 ton model cannot split but for those few, the 30 ton model would take care of. I have a 13 hp Robin Subaru engine on my pressure washer and it has been a great engine as well. I think you will be very happy with the splitter you posted. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login