Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
Gary M. Bleakley
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-07          5780

I wish to purchase a tractor driven chipper ( have a 12hp. Kabota diesel/w/three point hitch) and am serching for alternative units which I might purchase. Todate, the only alternative I've seen is in the Northern Tool& Tool catalog - two models . Can anyone point me to sites where I might view additional alternatives. Price is an issue..... but I do need 4-5" chip capasity. The models shown(Nortern Cataloge) appear to discharge on the ground; I would hope to find something that would blow the chips beyond the base of the machine. Do not bother to respond if you are reading this note after July 25, 1999 as I will have purchased something by that date. Thank you

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
Keith

1999-07-07          5783

Gary, not wanting to burst your bubble but... From what I have read on this board the pto powered chippers take a lot of hp, which you don't seem to have much of. Someone posted a rule of thumb that recommends about 8 (I think it was 8 anyway) pto hp per inch of material you want to chip. There was a sort of consensus on this that 25-30 hp was the minimum you would need to chip material that is 4-5" in diameter. Review the previous thread on this. It wasn't that long ago, but you may need to go back through the archives to find it. Good luck...Keith ....

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
KenB

1999-07-07          5784

With such little HP, I think your options will be limited to either Crary Bearcat or MacKissic "Mighty Mac" (which are sold thru Northern). They have no web site, but if you'd like to contact them directly, they are Mackissic, Inc., P.O. Box 111, Parker Ford, PA 19457, Tel: 610-495-7181. To get a true chipper, which propels chips through a chute, will be more expensive and require more HP than a chipper-shredder, which drops chips onto the ground. Your best bet may be to look for a used machine with its own motor. ....

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
d rohrbaugh

1999-07-07          5792

This tractor has no power and will stall out if you give it to much pedal even at full throttle. It also is very jerky to start and stop at any throttle setting in any gear range. the hydrolics are also not very smooth at all. Any one have any constructive sugestions? ....

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-07-07          5793

Gary,I'm not much help here, but to be the hp devil's advocate. I have a self powered chipper that will handle up to 4" dia branches at the side blade cutter, and theflails inside, chew up the small branches that you feed from the top. This unitruns off an 8hp techumshi engine. I think the reason they can get away with only8 hp is that the flails/blades are weighted and will keep spinning for 5 minutesafter being shut off. I think something larger would be out of the question foryour unit, as others have mentioned. ....

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
Paul

1999-07-07          5799

Agreed that hp is a concern, how much per inch of material is difficult, green wood or dry, what kind of wood, etc. Others to try, Patu DC40- one dealer has a web site, www.brushchippers.com also Danuser at www.danuser.com and Bearcat already noted. ....

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
Rob

1999-07-07          5801

If you find a PTO chipper that will take four and six inch logs using 12 HP let me know. Most dealers have told me my JD4600 w/36 HP would be too light. Most steered me towards renting a stand alone and that is what I did. A 12 inch Vermeer with a 80 hp John Deere engine can chip a LOT of material in an hour. Have you thought about a used 6" stand alone? I have seen them in decent shape for about 3500.00 ....

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
Steve Offiler

1999-07-07          5807

Gary - I have some direct experience here. I run an old (maybe 1970's-ish?) "Lickety Chipper" off my Ford 8N, which has about 23 or so PTO HP (okay, so 1948 was a long time ago, call it 20HP). The Lickety Chipper is rated for a larger tractor, up to 60HP, but works fine with some patience at 20HP. I would not even consider putting in 4" hardwood. I'd say the limit is maybe 2 to 2.5" hardwood (maple or oak) and anything bigger than that I consider firewood anyway. 4" pine, sure, probably. 8HP per inch of diameter in hardwood sounds pretty close to me. Before I end this, I should mention that the Lickety Chipper is actually a hammerknife shredder; it does not have sharp cutting blades to chip material as is seen in the little homeowner (Troybilt Tomahawk etc) standalone units. ....

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
David Barr

1999-07-07          5811

If you haven't found one, I have found out today that Woods makes one.But it itn't cheap cost was $2500 I think, if you want I'll check on the cost again.I know that it took up to a 5" dia limb/tree. RSC in Norman Oklahoma has it.Let me know,Dave. ....

Chipper PTO driven

View my Photos
Paul

1999-07-08          5826

Woods chippers are made by Crary/Bearcat. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login