Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chippers - Who like what and why

View my Photos
DougC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-13          5044

I have a few newbie questions about chipper/shredders.- Why PTO over standalone? (i think this is an easy one, but perhaps i'm missing something)- What features should i look for? I have about 60-70 trees. Big Ciders and Sycamores that I hack and slash on about once or twice a year plus many downed limbs after every storm.- What is the price range of the PTO models?- Any special care and feeding required?- Any "watch outs"?I have a TC33D w/20HP PTO.Thanks................

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-06-14          5045

Our town rents a chipper every year for the locals....Its always a stand-aloneand this year was about a 20 Hp model where often it is bigger....30 or more.I've got to say that this year's small chipper did a nicer job on the material,but maybe the teeth were just better. It was noticibly slower than the largermachine, and could barely handle four inch diameter branches in pine. The work that took half a day last year took two days this time - a lot of the time wasstanding around waiting for the chipper to digest large branches. I am in favor of a stand alone machine....it leaves you with a tractor to use for other things. Also, after seeing a few of these in use I am formingthe opinion that you can't have too much horsepower driving them. Still, my experience with chippers is limited to only a few. I am still learning about them. Roger L. ....

View my Photos
Rob

1999-06-14          5049

Got a price the other day on a Vermeer 6" PTO chipper for 8,000. 20 PTO hp is probably a little light for a chippper if you plan on doing anything much over an inch or two in dia. After checking out all the options, I came to the conclusion that it would be much faster, cheaper just to rent one. Where I live I can get a 12" Vermeer chipper with a 100 hp diesel engine for less than two-hundred a day. You would be amazed at the amount of trees this thing can digest in just 15 minutes. Local PTO chipper dealer suggested that you need about 10 PTO per inch of dia. and that my JD4600 w/36pto hp would be too lite for a 6" chipper. ....

View my Photos
Greg

1999-06-14          5053

I have a JD 4200, with 20HP at the PTO, connected to a Bearcat 5" chipper/shredder. I won't claim it can "eat" a 5" limb without problems. However, it can take 5" limbs if they are cut into smaller lengths. If I had more horsepower, I could feed the entire tree at one time. For what I'm doing, clearing a lot of limbs and brush, this PTO-based unit is perfect. My only other words or wisdom - be very safe. ....

View my Photos
Dave

1999-06-14          5054

I run a small stump removal and tree care buisiness. I have a compact tractor and a stand alone chipper. I found that I can buy a stand alone commercial quality chipper used for less than I could buy a new PTO model, and that the used chipper would out produce, and out last the PTO model. I bought my Morbark 6 inch chipper for $3500 with less than 600 hours on it. It has a 35 hp wisc. engine and will handle a steady diet of 4 inch stuff and occational 6 inch stuff.You should be prepared for some very high maintenance on any chipper. The knives need regular sharpening.You should buy hydraulic feed on either a stand alone or a pto.Concider renting. If you need a 6 inch chipper it should go for about $150-160 per day. If you rent for 2 days per year it will take more than 10 years before you would be better off owning, not considering maintenance, repair and interest on the money for the price of the chipper. For most people a small stand alone 8 hp shredder with limited 1-3 inch chipping capability and renting is the way to go. ....

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-03-06          13527

Does anyone know anything about a Befco BM-900 chipper. I have found a good used one. This is a pto, self feed model. Chris

View my Photos
Alan Sliski

2000-04-07          14562

I have a JD 955 but use it to tow the chipper I bought last year. The older drum chippers are going fairly cheap today. I bought a '74 Wayne chipper for $1500. It's a 16" unit with a chrysler 318 for power (maybe 150hp at speed). Anything I don't want for firewood goes through it fine. I had a 20hp tow-behind 4" unit that was underpowered. The most important thing is to get enough speed and flywheel action to deal with the large branches. Clearly, these are rather dangerous machines, but then, so is any chipper. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login