Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-20          41430

What do you think one of these is worth? It's in like new condition.

Billy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-20          41432

They are getting as scarce as hen’s teeth. Look closely at the forcing cone and the top strap directly above the barrel/cylinder gap. There were about 11,000 made before they were removed from production because of flame cutting problems. The only reference book I can find at the moment is 10 years old and it says very good-$375, excellent-$450. They are highly sought after by custom gun makers and folks who want to make up a very powerful handgun. I should think the prices now are $600 or better ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-08-20          41434

Would you believe $800? I sent you an e-mail let me know if you don't get it. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Ted@Abbeywoods, LLC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-08-20          41435

Dear Billy, if this is the pistol that Sturm Ruger and Sig collaborated on it is in big demand by silhouette shooters as well as Ruger collectors. There aren't a whole lot of special interest Rugers, this is one of the most coveted, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Ruger collector went over a grand just to keep it from being "modified" for the sport. You may want to do a search for Ruger Collector Clubs, I know there are a few around. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Billy

2002-08-21          41463

Mark, I got your email, thanks.

I bought this gun several years ago from a guy who carried it in the floorboard of his truck. It looked pretty rough to say the least. But I wanted it because I knew Ruger didn't make them any longer and I had always wanted a 357 Maximum. I know one shouldn't refinish a gun, for collector purposes but I wasn't planning on ever getting rid of it. So I called Ruger and asked them what they charge to reblue it. To my surprise, the price was $35.00 plus $5.00 to ship it back to me. I sent it to them and a few weeks I got it back. I was surprised again. You couldn't tell this gun from a new one. They not only reblued it but installed a new front sight, back sight, both walnut grips, hammer, trigger and a few other parts I can't recall. This was all done for a total price of $40.00. Anyway, thanks for the info. It's not for sale, I was just curious.

It sure is a sweet shootin gun. With that 10.5 inch barrel, it'll sure reach out there. I do beleive it will out shoot my Colt Anaconda 44 mag. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Billy

2002-08-21          41464

Thanks Ted

One of my boys will wind up with it someday. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-08-21          41466

I always was amazed how well those Anaconda's shoot considering they only have one locking point for the cylinder. Definitely the best revolver Colt has made in modern times. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Ted@Abbeywoods, LLC

2002-08-21          41483

Besides being a full-time aerospace tool engineer, besides owning / operating a part-time landscaping business, I still participate in the shooting sports, and have held NRA instructor ratings for about twenty years. This post was a surprise to me, coming on a tractor site, but it was a welcome break from the usual fare. Rugers are made not too far from where I live and I toured the factory and met Bill Ruger. They are good folks there at Ruger, and have weathered the politically correct, self-perpetuating idiots who have laid most of the firearms industry low. I've owned several Rugers, but have since moved on to other makes, Colt and Beretta being favorites. Despite all of the long barreled Colts I've fired, few have matched the Contenders for silhouette or varmint work. I think I'll try to scare-up a .357 Maximum and give it a run, it sounds like an "X" ring wonder. Thanks guys for the tip. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-11-13          44976

Those are nice guns. But....I have a Nazi 9mm Luger P08 with matching serial number clips taken from a dead German Tiger tank commander during the Battle of the Bulge by my grandfather that I have refused $4000. A Ruger ain't a Luger. LOL

According the The History Channel,if anyone has a Luger PO8 chambered for a 45 ACP Colt it is worth a cool 100,000 buckeroos or more. There were only 6 made and 4 are unaccounted for since they were made as demonstration guns for the US Army to show that Luger could produce a PO8 in a Big 45. I will bet it is in some US Army ordinance officer's personal gun collection. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
StephenR

2002-11-14          44985

Ahhh. Tractors and guns, can life get any sweeter? ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-14          44986

I’ve owned Lugers and Rugers.
Lugers are wonderful to behold with their archaic articulated engineering, but the caliber can best be described as puny and they spend their time in the safe and get trotted out once a year or so to display to someone who may never have seen one.
Rugers on the other hand, operate in the real world where the rubber and the road intersect. I have shared the same woods, and at times the same camp, with half-ton predators. Bill Ruger (God rest his soul) has provided me a measure of comfort that Georg Luger could only dream about.
The Luger is gone, but you can bet there is a Ruger or two occupying the same space.

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-26          55671

As much as I love the 45 autos the Anaconda has to be one of my favorites. I am still a die hard wheel gun fan. I had hoped for sometime that Winchester would put the maximum in a lever gun just for poops and gigles, I see that Wild West Guns is now doing a Casull in a lever gun...YEEE HA !! ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-26          55677

Blue Book says $500 in 100% condition. Those accurate and impressive pistols I have fired are the IMI Desert Eagles. Smooth bore with a rifling twist from the twist of the octagon shaped smooth bore. No kick at all. Good consistent shot groups. Only thing is that they require extremely hot 44 mag. ammo to properly cycle the actions. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-27          55696

I used to have a neighbor who was a retired navy seal and police officer who was a real Dessert Eagle fan. But he had more hand guns than I could count. I think he used the cor-bons in the 44 mag. Kimber is my top pick at the moment but I have to admit my choices change with the season. I recently picked up a Custom shop Ultra CDP carry. I am still waiting for the Milt sparks holster. I expect to loose this one to my wifes every day carry weapon. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-05-30          56034

This is a great thread. I shoot the .357 Max in a TC Contender. Very, very accurate.

I also have the .44 Desert Eagle, but mine shoots what I feed it. Maybe all of my loads are hot. :-) I think that it is adjustable, but that could be the AutoMag or both. You definitely do not need +P ammo for it. I have one of the old Ruger .44 Carbine rifles and it is very particular about ammo and will only cycle with my highest pressure rounds.

I think that I am being affected by recoil, because I can't remember why, but I bought a heavier barrel for my TC Contender a few years ago chambered in .445 Supermag. I can use .44 Mag for light loads. The Supermag is like a .44 Mag, only the case is quite a bit longer. The recoil is significant. Dan Wesson makes a wheel gun that shoots .445 Supermag for those who like big heavy hard hitting revolvers. The weight makes the recoil better than with the Contender.

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-30          56049

I know a bunch of people who couldn't tolerate the recoil of a 444 Marlin from a rifle and you are basically shooting the same thing from a handgun. No wonder you are getting a little recoil sensitive.

Those calibers are a little too much "fun" for me.

My limit is warm 44 Magnum or hot 45 Colt loads. With the right bullet either will penetrate a large critter from his lips to to his teakettle and I kinda like the idea of getting more than one shot off.

I knew a lot of folks in Alaska who packed around a 454 Casull, but there wasn't one of them who didn't end up with the gun rocked back in their hand and the whole assembly up over their head with the first shot.

Not a very good fighting stance if you missed the first shot or even if you hit him and Yogi doesn't know he is dead yet. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-30          56056

Speaking of recoil...... I have a Sako Finbar Deluxe in 375 H&H Magnum that is like taking a shot from Mike Tyson with the 300 grain slugs. I would not be interested in shooting larger without a muzzle break and great recoil pad. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-30          56063

Speaking of guns (again). I like big pistols, since I have a Colt Anaconda in 44mag and King Cobra, Smith & Wesson 629 Classic and the above mentioned Ruger 357 Maximum. But to tell you the truth I like shooting my Ruger Mark II Target better than any gun I have. It's easy on the ears and the pocket book.

If any of you ever get the chance to pick up one of those old Czech CZ-52, it's a good shoootin gun. It fires the little powerful 7.62x25. Another good one is the East German Makarov. There's lots of good buys on old army surplus handguns. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-30          56064

I like my Glock 21 45cal. with two ten round clips which I don't think are made anymore. It's lightweight and I can hammer nails all day without getting fatigued. Only goes with me to the range and to the city anymore. I got about 4 boxes of those black talons too which I don't think are around anymore. The wife likes her taurus .38 (hammerless) for the purse. Keeps teflon hollow points in it for her travels. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56276

I would not say that I am recoil sensitive, but recoil tolerance is certainly a learned behavior that does not come naturally.

The .445 SuperMag is intended to knock over steel targets at ranges exceeding 200 meters. But it is useful for other things as well. ;-)

I don't shoot a .375 HH, but I do have a .338 Win Mag which is its somewhat smaller sibling. Either one can beat you up on a shooting bench. But, when I shoot it in the field, I don't even notice the recoil.

I select the proper caliber for the proper situation and game. My favorite gun is kind of a toss-up between a Model 27 SW in .357 Mag and a Glock 20 in 10MM. For CCW, I like the Glock 27 in .40 SW or Glock 29 in 10MM. These are matters of personal preference only. I have Berettas, Sigs, Colts and others, and they are all good guns, but sometimes it just comes down to what feels best to you.

Recoil or not, the first and most important rule is to hit what you are shooting at. It is better to hit with a .22 than to miss with a big bore hand cannon. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56279

I've always had a soft spot for the Colt Officer's ACP for a pocket gun. Really small and light yet shoots a .45 ACP. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56280

Chief, gotta agree with that it is certainly near the top of my list. The 375 H&H and 338 are both excellent calibers for anything moose/elk size up and are both fairly tame compared to others in their class. Especially the new family of 300 mags. I would take a .45 over a .40 any day but that is just personal preference. I used to have a smith .357 that was a great gun, I think it was a model 29 chiefs special. It weighed waaay to much for CCW but it was fun to shoot. My wife carries a .38 +p Smith Titanium 2" barrel and it is absolutely brutal. Only weighs 14 0z with laser grips. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56284

I am not much of a .40 SW fan either, but 10MM is one of my favorites. I even have an upper for my M16 that shoots 10MM.

BTW, for the Glock 27, I just bought a barrel to convert it to .357 SIG. I like the ballistics better. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56286

You are an exotic cartridge fan. Any Weatherby's ? I have never owned a sig but I think they are top notch. Never had a 10 mm but I came real close to picking one up for a pig hunt. I need to find time to shoot soon. I primarily collect antique Winchester lever guns now. Do you re-load thos 10's ? ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56294

I shoot a few specialty (and former wildcat) cartridges. Among them 25.06, .357 Max, .445 SuperMag and 7-30 Waters. Why the .40 took off compared to the 10MM I will never understand from a practical standpoint. I have heard that it had something to do with politics and the FBI, but that is another subject.

I bought one of the first SIG 229s in .357 SIG because I am such a fan of the .357 Mag. Bottleneck rounds feed like nothing else...it is almost impossible to misfeed them. Since then I have bought .357 SIG barrels for other .40 pistols that I have. I even had a custom ported one made for an early SW Sigma pistol that was physically larger than the current Sigma.

I reload most everything that I shoot. Some cartridges like the .222 I shoot so seldom that I only use a Lee Loader, but there are others like 9MM and .223 that I shoot in volume and really need a motorized progressive. Right now, I use a standard RCBS press for everything.

Shooting seems to be such a popular topic with this group that I have no doubt that a special "firearms" forum would be well utilized. What about it, Dennis?? ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56307

I mostly just re-load for the weatherby. I used to re-load a lot of shot gun shells but with the light recoil clays loads and the lower prices I no longer do. The 25-06 is still a sweet one and very popular in some states like Texas as well as the .257 Weatherby. I have seen a couple of Model 94 Winchesters poping up lately in 7x30 waters. I dont useally collect anything modern in the lever guns but that one sounds interesting. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-02          56309

I can tell you why the 40 S&W "took off".

1)It fits in a 9 mm platform,

2)It comes in a Glock,

3)Police issue pistols must nowadays be sized to the lowest common denominator (female hands)

4)Ignorant police administrators think it is more defensible in court than a 45 which is viewed as overly powerful

5)It exactly matches the ballistics of the reduced police load offered with the original 10mm

6) It works. It has excellent "one shot stop" numbers, especially with the 155 and 135 grain loads.

PS.. no I don't own one, and didn't carry one as a cop. But after watching a few bazillion rounds go downrange as a trainer, it is about as much gun as a non-enthusiast can effectively use. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56316

Mark I agree with just about everything that you said, but I just didn't want to open that wound again. However, I do believe that the "original" 10MM was the full powered version. It was then "neutered" at the request of a panel at the FBI that was investigating new rounds for the bureau.
I was bothered when they decided that the 10MM was "too powerful for the average FBI agent", after the tragedy where they had several agents killed that were using 9MM. I think that the 10 is very managable.

The writing was on the wall when they reduced the load. If you can get the same reduced ballistic performance from a round that is 0.1 inches shorter and will fit in 9MM size frames, then why not use the smaller cartridge?

I disagree with the original assessment and therefore have a hard time with the whole .40 SW history. It is not hard to envision the gun companies supporting this also when they stood to gain huge contracts for supplying new weapons. If .40 guns were adopted they would make more money by not having to retool as many production lines.

Anyway, that is water under the bridge. The .40 has earned it spot in the history books. I like my 10MM. I will continue to shoot it until I can't get brass anymore. I guess that I should see if I can bottleneck that cheap .40 SW brass for my .357 SIG. I reform cases for my 25.06, but have never tried for the .357 S. Any ideas?

About the question on the Weatherby...I do have a Weatherby but it is in 25.06. I don't shoot any Weatherby rounds. I would like to find a Winchester 94 in 7-30 Waters. If you hear about one please consider letting me know. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56321

Yoy might try the old western scrounger for brass and try gunsamerica dot com for a 7x30 model 94. As I mentioned I have seen a few lately. Go to Winchesters- Modern Lever. You'll want to check every few days as the good stuff useually sells pretty fast. I had thought here in Michigan a few years back that we would see a surge in 10 mm popularity after Ted Nugent was singing its praise but even that didnt seem to help out much. Is that weatherby a wood stocked MkV Deluxe ???? You will also a Weatherby Section as well as enough others to keep you busy looking for a week. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56326

The Weatherby is the MIV Deluxe, I believe. It was not really a very good gun when I bought it.

If you shot twenty rounds through it the shots would drift six inches or so at 100 yards. The first time I tried to sight it in the groups were large. Then the next day it was six inches off when the barrel was cold.

The front of the stock had a LOT of pressure on the front of the barrel. This was bad enough that you could see the whole action/barrel bend when it was screwed down on the stock. I took the stock off and milled out the inside of the foreend and glass bedded the barrel. Now it is OK shooting and I can certainly use it for hunting. It will now take 20 shots without drifting nearly as much. But I have a Ruger 77 Varmit Special in 25.06 that doesn't drift much at all. It is just the thing for the occasional, enraged, charging prarie dog. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56331

There are more modern alternatives such as solids, but Nosler partician bullets are pretty good. I have also used the Speer Mag tips with pretty good success. For moose or elk I would use my .338 Win Mag. If I don't have the right handloads, I find that the Federal Premium rounds are pretty good factory rounds with decent bullets. I use ballistic tipped handloads in some 25.06 rounds and .223 rounds for the varmit rifles.

On the farm, it was my job to convince the ground hogs to leave the soybeans alone. A 7mm Mag with 115 grain HP is a pretty convincing argument. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56336

Do you have elk in your area ?? After the above experience I began reloading. I now use 165 grain Noslers. I shoot a .75 five shot group on a bench at 100 yards and mostly what I love about this round for whitetail is it is slowed down enough to do a little better in the thick stuff and at 100 yards is instantly lethal passing straight through. The trouble I have found in the past with bullets that only come in hollow points like the .44 mag (generally) is that they make a nasty mess. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56340

Hollow points are pretty much intended to make a mess. A .44 Mag HP load is OK in a pistol, but in a .44 Mag rifle, I use softnose bullets. A .44 Mag rifle is a nice gun for <100 yd shots on deer size and smaller game. The .357 Max that started this thread is also good on that size game and in that range.

I live in New Mexico. We have huge elk here. Colorado is probably even better. When it is not hunting season, you sometimes have to wait for the Elk to get off the road in the more remote places. I don't mind the delay, because they are beautiful animals.

There are no elk on my land. I have coyotes, jack rabbits, cotton tails and a few road runners.

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56341

That 25-06 should work just fine on those Coyotes. ;o) ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56342

Some day if I win the lotto I am going on a Elk hunt. On the Guns America site there are two listings for model 94 Winchesters in 7-30 waters on page 3 of modern lever Winchesters. The first is N.I.B. at $895 the other is a used carbine at $595.00 ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56351

My wife likes the coyotes. We don't have any dogs or cats and so they don't bother us. So, the local coyote family is safe enough on my land. They do keep the bunny population in check. The rabbits do more damage to garden plants than I can explain.

There are some cattle ranches where prairie dogs are a big problem. The little critters tear up the land and cattle get stuck in their holes when they walk over the prairie dog colony. There are lots of people around the cities that think that they are "cute." I just had a conversation with a friend that was "concerned" about a group that catches prairie dogs live in Albuquerque and takes them out to the ranch land to "set them free." That is like someone catching rats and then putting them in your garage when you aren't home.

You probably heard about the guy from NM that turned up in New York with Bubonic plague a few months ago. He probably got it from the prairie dogs or the colony fleas. That guy lives within 50 miles of me. He and his wife are still not completely healed.

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56358

Coyotes are the scurg here in TN. They will attack in groups sometimes and kill pets, and occasionally a calf. Coyotes were hunted down to nil for a reason. Just like Grizzly bears. I like the animals but not when I am on their menu. ;o) ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56364

Not to mention small children. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56367

I will shoot coyotes, just not these coyotes.

Even though I have a few acres of land, I am also in the city limits. That makes for some interesting things from time to time. There is a city ordinance about the discharge of a firearm, but it changes. It is on again one day and then off again the next. As far as I know, there is not a law against the discharge of a bow. :-) But I am not sure I could get close enough to one of those coyotes to make a shot with a bow.

I grew up in Missouri. We hunted coyotes all fall and winter. I think that one thing that kept my dad alive as long as it did was the activity and exercise of getting out and hunting coyotes. I don't care how much hunting pressure was placed on coyotes, there were always more around. In my travels I lived for a time in California. I have even seen coyotes in Los Angeles miles from the closest natural habitat. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-02          56370

AC5ZO... If you are truly interested in a 7-30 Waters, I can make you a much better deal than the above prices. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
cutter

2003-06-02          56380

I did not realize that we had so many gun experts on the tractor board. I have a Colt Bisley in original like new condition. Any idea what that is worth? I have not taken it for an appraisal, it has been in the family for years. I have it locked away in a vault until I can get an appraisal and some insurance on it.

I prefer to carry my Colt 38 "Agent". It isn't much larger than the 25 auto I used to carry, has more stopping power and is extremely safe with it's hammer block. I use hollow points as well. Also have a few "retired" law enforcement sidearms. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56383

Cutter; if you want to contact me direct I can help you with the book value on that. I need to know the sn# and caliber. It would also be a quicker if you know if it is a single action army revolver or the flat top target revolver. Values are considerbly different for the two. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56385

Cutter, Blue Book says $7500 for a Bisley Model SAA in 100% condition. Nice piece! ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56389

That is only for the USA version of the flat top target revolver. It is very unlikely that you have one in 100% condition as all case coloring of the time period was subject to fadeing. Even if you had one in over 95% you could throw book value out the door because it would be so rare it would command a huge premium. This will also vary with the barrel length, IF it is a target model and IF it has a special order barrel (less than 7.5") you have a real gem. This would likely also have special grips. Rarer calibers will also add and to the value. The standard Army model in fine+ondition is valued around $2,ooo. But you should take a peek at the GA web site mentioned above to see what things are actually selling for. Either way, a nice piece. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-02          56390

I've always wanted one of those old Colts but never had the money.

I do have an old Winchester model 94 in 30/30. It was made in 1912, with the long hexagon barrel. It's a nice gun but just a bit on the heavy side.

30/30 used to be the choice caliber for deer hunters around here. That was back when we had lots of cover. Now the timber industry has taken care of that with clear-cuts. I'd say the most popular caliber now would be the 270. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56392

Now there is a timeless debate. lol. 30-30 Vs .270 lets throw in a 30-06 for giggles and you have the big three by popularity based on overall sales. The 30-30 almost exclusevely due to the popularity of the model '94 Winchester. I recently added a peach to my collection, Model 94 made in 1896, 90 plus %, Take down rifle with up graded wood and express sights. The loading gate and extractor still have nearly all the fire blue. sadlt as is typical the case colors are mostly faded. By the way, I vote for the .270. What can I say I'm still a Jack Connors fan. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56466

cutter, If you want to email your address or fax number I would be happy to copy the pages from a antique weapons book that discusses the two variations mentioned above. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-03          56478

I have one old beat up Win 94 30-30 that I keep around just because everyone needs at least one. It is a shooter that I am not afraid to throw in the back of the pickup.

I had both .270 and 30.06. I sold both and shortened the brass that I had for my 25.06. My main calibers are either .308 or 7mm Mag depending on the type of hunt. In the west most of the shots tend to be longer. This is largely personal preference. I got to the point that I just did not want to load another cartridge size. So, the .270 and 30-06 were sold because I felt that they were bracketed by the .308 on the low side and 7 mm Mag on the high side.

I have at least one standard bolt action, one heavy barrel target, and one all weather stainless gun in each of my two favorite calibers. The 7mm only shoots my handloads. I shoot a lot of .308 in military style guns and use the once fired brass for the bolt actions. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56489

All of theese are ballisticly pretty close. I know a lot of fans of the 308 (7.62x51 NATO). Plus it has the benefit of being a short cartridge and not a belted magnum like the others in its class excepting the 30-06. Ballisticly it is nearly identical to the '06. Plus most consider it suitable for any north American game except perhaps moose and grizzly. It also has the distiction of being the base cartridge for several Wild cats that have been legitimized includeing the 243 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington 356 Winchester as well as the rimmed 356 and 307 winchesters. Its almost hard to believe this one has been around since the mid 50's and has really enjoyed a resurgence in the last several years. This one is hear to stay for sure Although it certainly does not have the off the shelf cartridge choices that the '06 has. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-03          56502

It seems that many of us have common interests beyond our obvious interest in compact tractors.

I know that the Beaver Dam thread got a little out of hand, but I am sure that we could keep a "firearms" or "outdoor sports" forum pretty busy. Maybe we could exchange some good ideas about mounting a rifle scabbard on the fender of the CUT.

How about it Dennis? Would a special forum for "outdoor sports" make sense? We could use it to talk about firearms, archery, hunting, and maybe even smoking meat. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-03          56512

You ought to see what it costs to ship a small tractor to Alaska. Average cost is 50 cents a pound. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56518

I cant even imagine paying shippings costs on some thinks in Alaska. I know what I spent shipping mounts and meat back and I would be embarrased to confess to the actual dollars. The trip was worth every penny though. I cant wait to go again. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DeTwang

2003-06-04          56596

Are you guys talking about the Ruger GP 100? If so, it's great to know that something I have is actually going 'up' in value... B)

My brother and I each bought one several years ago (6" barrels, not the snub nose). I really like the thing and don't undertand why they would have discontinued it. I'm able to shoot pretty darn accurate with it. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-06-05          56691

My Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull is quite intense to shoot but I don't think it is as bad as some people say. I think if you are paying attention follow up shots can be fairly quick. It is fun to shoot 45 colt through it too.
I also have a Glock 23 .40 that I carry a lot. It shoots well and for someone that doesn't have a lot of time to shoot I think it is a great gun. I know Nugent sure likes his 10mm. Glock though. Great thread. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-05          56693

Ted was /is a huge pusher of the 10 mm. I personally never really saw the margin in at over shooting 45+p loads. now the casull that's another story. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-05          56698

The Super Redhawk has considerably more mass than a Freedom Arms single action. My comments were directed at the Freedom Arms 454.

The Super/R's massive frame and heavier weight make it much easier to shoot but conversely, one probably would not pack one on their hip while hiking in the mountains. Well maybe Schwarzenegger might.

The Freedom Arms is much more packable but very much harder to control for that second shot.

I lean toward a combination of portability and controllable power. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-05          56703

Mark , do have a 10 or a 45 ? cust curious. I guess I am just a die hard 45 fan. Portable, concealable, powerfull and cost effective. What more does the FBI need ?? ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-05          56716

I shoot both, personally. I like the 10 for hard hitting performance and a bit more magazine capacity in a frame size that is comparable to the .45. I load my 10mm so that they are just slightly below what you would get with a .41 SW Mag. My Glock 20s carry up to 17 rounds in the magazines.

I have been shooting the .45 for over 30 years. I have a Gold Cup and a H+K Tactical Rig. I have also shot it in the M3A and Thompson. It is truly one of the great rounds in history.

I have to think that my affinity toward the 10 was somehow preordained. I bought my first Glock 20. I really liked it. Then they were talking about magazine bans and reduction in capacity. I thought that Glock might go to a single stack magazine, so I bought another Glock 20 about six months after the first one. It turned out that the second Glock had the next consecutive serial number after the first one that I bought. ;-) ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
cutter

2003-06-05          56734

Doc,

I wanted to thank you publicly for all the legwork you did for me pertaining to my Colt. This truly is a diverse tractor board, many talents and great people! ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-05          56740

Cutter, no problem it was fun for me, I am glad I was able to help. Mark, what H&K are you useing ? What??? No kimbers, nothing by Wilson Combat ?? I am absolutely in love with this Kimber Custom shop Ultra with a 3" barrel. Its everything I look for in a ccw. I never thought it could be done effectively in a compact carry 45. I never had one with all the goodies before. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-05          56745

No 10's I'm afraid, though I am not philosophically opposed to them, except for maybe for the Colt Delta Elite. Little to much rock and roll for a 100 year old design.

On duty, and off duty for that matter, I carried a 45 ACP Revolver.

Occasionally, some newbe with a Glock and a high opinion of his own skills would sneer just a little and then I would have to take him to the range and embarrass the hell out of him.

You simply cannot reload a Glock as fast as wheel gun with full moon clips.

Anyway, after we hit some tough times a couple years ago the 45 ACP inventory thinned out dramatically.

Presently there is a full sized Kimber (first year of production), a Smith 625-6 and a pristine Brazilian contract S&W 1937. And there is my "Poor-mans Thompson" a Marlin Camp Carbine. It takes 1911 magazines and is as accurate at 100 yards as my Kimber is at 7 yards.

In the same bore size I have a Redhawk in 45 Colt and an Old Army with a drop-in 45 Colt cylinder.

Rounding out the big bore pistol line up are a couple of 44 Specials and three or four of 44 Magle-ems.

I used to have a Freedom Arms in 50 AE, but it went away in some long forgotten trade.

Revolvers and Lever guns. Gotta love 'em.

Wanna talk big bore rifles? ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
DeTwang

2003-06-06          56751

Ahhh I see. I misread the title of the thread. It says .357 "Maximum", not .357 "Magnum". A quick web search revealed what you all were really talking about.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/tech/t10/index.html

Oh well, so my little run of the mill pistol is depreciating like everything else I own afterall.... B) ....

Link:   .357 to the Max

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56753

Did you take them rookies out back and shoot smily faces on a target like Mel Gibson in Lrthal weapon ? Ok Ok Ok I confess to trying. LOL. Although the face of my target looked a little disgruntled. Do you still have the Colt Gold Cup ? I have never seen one of the Marlin Camp Carbines buy they sound pretty darn slick. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56790

Mark, you are the first person in about 15 years that I have heard mention a Colt Delta Elite. I have 2 Colt Delta Elite First Editions still new in the display box unfired that I bought at the Rod and Gun Club when I was stationed in Germany 15 or so years ago. Nice looking guns but did not do much as far as collector's value. For that matter, not many guns are good for collector's value. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56809

Doc, I was the one that mentioned H+K. I have a full sized H+K USP Tactical version with all the accessories. It is like the Navy SOCOM except the barrel is threaded differently. It is .45 ACP, of course. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56812

H&K is top notch. I bounce back and forth day to day as to weather I want one of theese next or if I am going to pony up the spare change for a Wilson Combat. I really like the green finish models. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56818

A friend of mine are both fans of the 10. He shoots the Colt, I shoot the Glock. He likes his, I like mine. He is a bit hesitant to use my "full power" loads. The Glock has so much weight in the slide that it will eat just about anything. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56844

Ever seen the H&K VP70Z? 19 shotter composite pistol? Looks neat but is a piece of junk. It has not hammer and is double action only which hinders a tight shot group. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56863

No, you would have had to fire it. The firing pin spring is more like the coil springs in the suspension of my Dodge pickup. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56871

Not a good idea on a DAO pistol. H&K discontinued this pistol largely for this reason as well as that it did not sell for crap. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56877

I dont think with a 19 round capacity that it would see too much US civillian use. How about that H&K Mk23 that the US Navy Seals and Army special forces are so fond of ? ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56892

I think that there is very little difference between the military version and my HK Tactical. The Tactical is very well built, is somewhat larger than the regular USP, and will carry a 12 Round mag of .45. Most of my mags are 10, however. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56899

Now here is one you guys may not have seen in awhile, but they are sweet shootin' .45's once you get the sear broken in and get descent magazine clips. AMT Hardballer Longslide. All stainless with Millet target sights. Shoots real accurate and not alot of muzzle flip. ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56907

Does any one have one of The Wilson combat .45's ? ....

Ruger 357 Maximum

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56909

Time to start a new thread. This one is getting way to long, is all over the road as far as subject matter, and takes way to long to load up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login