Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractorpoint on Smart Phones

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-09-06          180213

Wondering if any or many of you have looked at Tractorpoint on the Android or Iphone smartphones.

A long time ago I developed some parts of a mobile version that was targeted at the way things were with smartphones then. Which looks pretty dated today.

Now with the great screens on these phones, I can actually read the full version on my Atrix Android phone by putting it sideways and zooming in.

Ideally it could be sized more like the screen size without all the extra columns that are on the laptop version.

Any thoughts

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-09-06          180227

Believe it today at lunch went to on iphone and decided too small and left it. Not sure ever tried before. Don't make such changes for me. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-09-06          180235

For my part please leave things as they are, they work just fine. My old phone is almost dead, my kids tell me to get a smart phone, I don't want one. All I want is a phone that rings and I answer, or I call someone and they answer. No call waiting, text messaging or any of that BS, please, keep it simple.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-09-06          180236

I know that what you do for smartphones wouldn't affect what is done on our PCs but as far as smartphones go I'm with Frank - don't have one, don't want one. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-07          180247

I have, and use constantly, an iPhone, I'd be lost without it, it's literally like having a laptop (and a LOT more) in the palm of my hand.

I use the mobile TP site often, but it won't allow me to post there, I still have to load the 'regular' site in order to post, so it results in me skipping a lot of opportunities to post.

I used to be a "I have no need to get a smartphone" person too, till I got one, no I wonder how I did without it.

I can even use it to turn lights on or off in my house and adjust the thermostat from anywhere.

There must be a big demand for it since some other forums have obviously invested heavily in their "apps" and mobile sites.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-09-07          180254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 180247
.....There must be a big demand for it since some other forums have obviously invested heavily in their "apps" and mobile sites.

I have had a smart phone for a long time and yes they were not for everyone, but the new Android and Iphones with the touch screens have changed the whole experience. I got my first touchscreen Android Atrix in May which has essentially the same features as the Apple Iphone.

I have the Kindle App on it so I can read techical manuals and pdf's on it. I have the car dock which turns it into a GPS so I don't need a Garmin. I use Gmail for my contacts and email so all my contacts and emial are updated to the phone without syncing. It has an HD video camcorder, plus camera. It replaces my Ipod, and it gives me hands free voice in the car. Plus and internet browser. it goes on and on...

My wife has been saying no smartphone for me... just need flip phone etc. So I got her to sit with me for just 5 minutes on the Android.... now she says she wants one....

Yes a very compelling device.... vast difference from what was called a smartphone.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-09-07          180255

Lots of technical prognosticators claim that smartphones will kill the PC. I disagree but what do I know? I wouldn't want to write code on one that's for sure.

There are lots of people who dote on them day and night and those kind of folks would probably use a mobile app.

My wife has had about a half dozen different varieties of smart phones. They have had so many problems making and receiving calls, locking up, having some app misbehave and kill the battery by not going to sleep, etc. that she hates them. The best she has used has been the blackberry which is slowly growing on her.

Maybe the iphone or android would be worthwhile, but it's sort of hard to use one when you live where the cell service is poor. At home the cell phones just get turned off.

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-09-07          180258

I agree with Murf there are those who would like the ability. No idea how that would translate in to cost to you Dennis nor more traffic. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-07          180259

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 180255
.....There must be a big demand for it since some other forums have obviously invested heavily in their "apps" and mobile sites.
[QUOTE=kwschumm;180255] Maybe the iphone or android would be worthwhile, but it's sort of hard to use one when you live where the cell service is poor.

At home the cell phones just get turned off. [/QUOTE]

That's funny Ken. With us it's the opposite, the only high speed internet service available to 2 of my 3 residences is via an iPhone or other 3G/4G device, of course once I'm in the air it's the same thing, iPhone or no internet.

Both devices also remember a WiFi network and automatically log on when within range.

That alone is really handy to me since my PBX phone system at the office has an interconnection to the WiFi and VOIP router, if I don't pick up a call on the 3rd ring and the WiFi router says I'm on the network it routes the call to my iPhone automatically. I can be out in the yard or on the shop floor and still answer my 'office' phone.

My cell provider also has a service that will route my cell call to my iPhone via VOIP anywhere in the world, without long distance or roaming charges as long as I'm on a WiFi connection.

And then there's always Skype on the smartphones too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-09-07          180260

The long latencies and asymmetric upload/download speeds of satellite internet wouldn't work well when trying to hold a VOIP connection. And satellite or dial-up is our only choice. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-09-07          180261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 180247
.....some other forums have obviously invested heavily in their "apps" and mobile sites.Best of luck.

Murf can you send me the address of the best mobile forum app you have seen?

Thanks!

Dennis ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-09-22          180498

I finally got the post feature to work. I have to modify it for mobile but at least it works.

I will be modifying the site so that a mobile version automatically loads if you access pages from a mobile device. ....

Link:   Tractopoint Mobile Pilot

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-22          180499

Woo hoo!

You did indeed oh Guru of Gadgetry!!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-22          180510

Hmmmmm, maybe I spoke too soon.

Seems there's a glitch, I posted from the mobile site, and it uploaded it, but it only shows on the mobile site, not the regular one.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-09-23          180530

Dennis, I just visited TP with my iphone and it is same as using computer. Well not quite for the active topics were one or two different. Did not see a mobile app there. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-09-23          180532

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 180530
... Did not see a mobile app there.

I don't have an automatic switch set up yet, but I will soon. You need to use this url to get there.

mobile.tractorpoint.com

I am fixing a posting link at the moment. Bug that the mobile posts are not going to the correct forum code, so they don't show up on the regular site jus the mobile one.

Thanks for the interest, look forward to more feedback as I complete the work :) ....

Link:   Mobile Version of TP

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-09-23          180544

I've been using solely my smart phone (Tmobile G-1 android OP sys) on this site for 2 years now. No issues or problems to report. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-09-24          180550

EW please try mobile.tractorpoint.com. Still working on it. But feedback from a mobile user of the full site on mobile device would be great! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-25          180555

I've been using both sites side-by-side for some time now.

Since the mobile site was much faster to load I could check it easier, but since I couldn't post there I still had to load the regular site to make a comment.

I also like the new format of the mobile version a bunch better, showing the full thread instead of having to open each post individually makes it way easier to read.

Keep up the good work Dennis!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-10-14          180880

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 180544
I've been using solely my smart phone (Tmobile G-1 android OP sys) on this site for 2 years now.No issues or problems to report.

Hey EW,

Curious to know your comments on my current mobile efforts which you should automatically be switched to when you access the site from a mobile device.

Or just go to http://mobile.tractorpoint.com

Also wonder if users like the auto route to mobile or want a choice of mobile or full site. Some iPad and tablet users might prefer that.

Thanks!

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-10-14          180887

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 180880
Also wonder if users like the auto route to mobile or want a choice of mobile or full site.Some iPad and tablet users might prefer that.Thanks!Dennis

When I access the site from the iPad I just use the 'regular' address, I only use the iPad on the WiFi so bandwidth isn't an issue.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-10-14          180890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 180887
When I access the site from the iPad I just use the 'regular' address, I only use the iPad on the WiFi so bandwidth isn't an issue.Best of luck.

And that brings you to the mobile version right? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-10-14          180891

No, if I go to "tractorpoint.com" it doesn't redirect me to the mobile site.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-10-14          180895

So you would rather use the full site rather than the mobile version on the iPad? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-11-29          181410

Dennis can you take me off the smart phone service and returm me back to the old system. One big reason is whenever I use my "back arrow" I have press it two or three times per posting in a thread. And the last posting it the bottom instead of at the top unlike the old system. Thanks in advance.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login