Go Bottom Go Bottom

Login

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-11          150144

[QUOTE=bvance;150141] ....it takes me back to the sign on page...[/QUOTE]

Right now the system stores your password for 24 hours, I could make that longer.

If you use the "Quote Reply" or the "Reply" or the "Popup Reply" at the bottom. you get a pop up window that asks for the login. If you use any of thsoe after you login and close the pop up you are on the same message thread that you started on.

But if you use the "Reply" at the bottom or top of the page it takes you to a full page login in which case you have to use your back arrow to get to the thread.

I can look into some other options for this, such as eliminating the full page reply and only offering the pop up reply.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Login

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-11          150145

Interesting, I've never experienced what Brian describes. Does that mean the password countdown begins at the end of every uploaded post? If so, that means I must be posting something here daily, because I'm always logged in when either of my browsers brings up this site.

//greg// ....

Login

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-11          150148

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_g | view 150145
Interesting, I've never experienced what Brian describes.

I believe you are grandfathered on the old cookie stored on your computer which never expired (I used the same cookie name). If you click on "sign off" you will be in the same boat as everyone else on the "24 hours since last login" rule. ....

Login

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-11          150150

Makes sense. Here's an idea then; issue a new 24 hour (replacement) cookie every time a member posts. Make auto-logout occur 24 hours after the file time of the most recent cookie. Daily poster who do not then elect to log out, won't have to log back in - unless 24 hours has elapsed since their last post.

//greg// ....

Login

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-11          150154

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_g | view 150150
.... Here's an idea then; issue a new 24 hour (replacement) cookie every time a member posts. Make auto-logout occur 24 hours after the file time of the most recent cookie. Daily poster who do not then elect to log out, won't have to log back in - unless 24 hours has elapsed since their last post.//greg//

hmmmm are you a programmer? ;)

Originally I wanted them to expire to help me with the security of the site. But having to log on daily is a bit of a nuisance I suppose. I just started working on your suggestion and I'll see if it works with this message. ....

Login

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-11          150155

Ok,

So now I have it set so that your login expires 24 hours from your last post. ....

Login

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-11          150159

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 150154
hmmmm are you a programmer?

Not for years, since the old Antran/Fortran IV/Cobal days. Just been around the block a time or two, but probably would even struggle remembering BASIC anymore. What's left is an old guy who's long on theory, short on current events

//greg// ....

Login

View my Photos
bvance

2008-01-11          150169

Dennis,

Thanks for the additional info. You said: "Right now the system stores your password for 24 hours, I could make that longer." I guess I still don't understand why we have to put in a password at all. I can sign on for the first time in any given day with my password and all, and then immediately attempt a reply...other than a pop up reply...and I have to put in my password again, just a few mintues later.

What am I doing wrong?

Brian ....

Login

View my Photos
bvance

2008-01-11          150170

Other responses and answers came in before I had refreshed which I think now have answered my question. Is that so?

Brian ....

Login

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-11          150171

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance | view 150169
I can sign on for the first time in any given day with my password and all, and then immediately attempt a reply...other than a pop up reply...and I have to put in my password again, just a few mintues later.What am I doing wrong?Brian
Sounds like you need to reset permission for your browser to accept the TractorPoint cookies. If you know how, you can search your cookie cache and simply delete any/all TP cookies and start over. If you don't know how to do it surgically, you may have to shotgun the entire cache.

Alternatively, your mention of a pop-up reply suggests the possibility of a cookie blocker feature of some internet security software. Either way, I'm thinkin' you should be able to fix it from your end.

//greg// ....

Login

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-12          150172

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance | view 150169
...I can sign on for the first time in any given day with my password and all, and then immediately attempt a reply...other than a pop up reply...and I have to put in my password again, just a few mintues later....

I will see if I can replicate this. What browser are you using? Windows XP PC?

[Update] No I cannot replicate that[Update] ....

Login

View my Photos
bvance

2008-01-12          150174

Dennis,

Whatever you did yesterday solves the problem for me. I can hit the reply button w/o giving my password again.

Thanks so much for your responsiveness and the fix.

Brian ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login