Go Bottom Go Bottom

Weather or not

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-02          114248

What is with the weather, is everybody else getting whacky weather too?

Is it still the Commies using their Gamma Ray Cloud Impregnator Death-ray Thingey????

For the last two weeks straight we have been in the high 80's or mid 90's, with humidex readings sometimes into the 100+ range, but nearly every afternoon we get a big thunderstorm and a sudden downpour, that lasts all of 3 minutes.

Then back to stinkin' hot again.

Not enough rain to get rid of the humidity, or turn the lawns from brown back ot green, just enough to ruin golf, boating, gardening, horse-back riding or nearly anything else I want to do out-of-doors.

SHEESH!!!!

Best of luck.

PS, did I mention my Mother-in-Law is visiting ?????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Weather or not

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-02          114250

We had a dry winter, a wet spring, and summer is being pretty normal. Average statistics are a bit misleading when they have a large standard deviation. They never tell you what the standard deviation is. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
beagle

2005-08-02          114257

Too blessed hot for us. The beagles wade through the pond, roll in the dirt, them come inside for air conditioning.

A day in the life of a beagle. The dog days of summer, huh.

We clean the mess... ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-02          114260

We are in the middle of a severe drought. Recently had a rain fall but other than that NONE since june 15th! (Over my township anyways! Oh yeah, 80-98 degree's every day!
Summer stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-08-03          114279

We've had hot, humid weather for the entire month of July but have had a number of rain storms passing through to keep everything green and lush.

I've gotten a large shrub trimming project for a condo association. Been only trimming evenings from 6:30-9:30 because of the heat. It is miserable. Though I'd sweat off the pounds, but just have gained more weight. Haven't even had the boat out this year yet!

I leave my front license plate "Mush on America" on all year long. Snow is welcome anytime! I need the rest!!! ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-03          114281

Actually Pete, it's funny you mention 'mushing' ....

One of the things it's been too hot to do was welding. I have all the parts in the shop for a practice cart for a family near here who are very into dog-sledding and they want to be able to run the dogs in the public forest near here, they have great wide trails.

The only consolation is that they aren't in a big rush, the dog's don't want to do much in this heat either.

Best of luck. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-03          114283

We had record breaking heat in July. We had a 10 day stretch where it went over 100 every day. Very few T-storms so far this year. Too dry, despite a very wet spring.

Murf..... when our temps hit triple digits, our humidity goes to single digits. Thought you might like to know. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-08-03          114284

Murf:

A wheeled dogsled sounds not only like a nice project but possibly a product to build and sell. You can buy some units today, but I haven't seen anything that great. Most mushers get something made locally by a fabricator. Some use a trike style with a mountain bike front end. These can tip too easily. I've also seen some 4 wheeled models but the tires are too small. Would like to see a picture when you are done.

I'm not a musher but like to go to events, hang around in -0 to -15 degree temperatures and drink beer & hot toddies and watch the dogs. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-08-03          114285

We got more rain in the first six months of this year than we got all of last year, and our Monsoon season is just starting. We get rain when the hurricanes push moisture into the Gulf of Mexico and across Mexico.

So far, it has been hotter than normal this summer with triple digit temps and low humidity.

I think all the early rain and plant growth is what has caused an explosion in the rodent population around here. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-03          114289

We started off in early Spring with huge amounts of rain and then it went a month and a half with no rain. Really stunted the hay crop. Grass dried up. The heat was really bad and then came the humidity. Now we are getting a few thunder showers that dump a 1/2 inch to a 1/4 at a time but the damage is already done. Wells around the area are going dry. MINE included! Might be able to get another shot at the hay in a few weeks if we keep getting the showers. This weather seems to have brought out the ticks and chiggers in unbelievable numbers! It is not unusual for me to pick off a dozen or more each time I walk out in the fields or woods. I am ready for Fall and Winter. But then the ticks and chiggers are replaced by treaspassers, poachers, and illegal hunters shooting from the roads but that is another story. ;O) ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-03          114291

Mark, when our temps hit triple digits it gets really humid, especially after I jump in the pool. ;->

Pete, my design is a 4 wheeler, the difference over others I have seen is I am using a rigid drawbar/tongue, and a steering front axle for better tracking. The grab handle the musher holds also incorporates bicycle style hand brakes, and a drop down anchor/parking brake. The front wheels wheels are 18" and the rears 26", and the rear axle will have some suspension too.

Randy, it sounds like our spring was much the same, but intermixed with the rain was unusually early heat, it was into the low 80's in April. We have baled our second cut now, and the parts of the field we cut first are already up another 8" since the cut. We will definitely have a third cut this year, and may even have enough into the fall for a little silage past that. In our case though we don't have the ticks and chiggers, just mossies and deer flies, makes me realllly glad of the cab & A/C!! Sounds like you need a little drill rig to keep yourself busy and the cistern full.

Best of luck.

Weather or not

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-03          114292

I am currently working on tieing 2 more wells into our water system and we already have the 1,000 tank in the ground. Just have to get everything plumbed together. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-03          114296

This thread and the pack rat thread make me awfully glad we live where we do. The hottest days have been in the 90's with the humidity not bad at all and it always cools off to 60 at night. No ticks, no chiggers, no rats, only an occasional yellow jacket (baiting helps a lot). I sure don't miss Phoenix. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-03          114297

What is the problem there Randy, shallow dug wells or a clay belt or shale cutting you oof from the deeper aquifers?

I would have thought that area would have plenty of water. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-03          114337

"This thread and the pack rat thread make me awfully glad we live where we do."

Yes, but you have volcano's. Everybody has something! Come to think of it, I have volcano's here too.

Never mind. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-03          114341

I keep forgetting about those volcanos. The rain is a bigger nuisance, at least until the big one erupts. Glad I live a few hundred miles from Rainier, that's supposed to be the next big one in these parts. As long as St. Helens keeps seeping lava it's not building up pressure. I think. Maybe I'll stock up on canned goods. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-05          114395

Mark, I would worry so much about a volcano erupting as I would about all the 'pests' South-West of you in the next state erupting. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-05          114400

Oh....they are here already, driving the property values through the roof and californicating the place. I shouldn't talk too loud. I came from there too.

And now we have West-Nile virus. Lots of dead birds, some sick horses and one human case. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-10          114662

At least one thing about the drought, not using up my diesel for cutting grass :s I filled the tank in the spring and it is still full. I only use it now for the manure pile. Last year I spent a good amount of time and money putting in a riding arena, and this year spent very little time using it because it is too Darn HOT. This summer really sucks. I just hope we have a cool enough fall and not a cold fall. I need to replace my roof before winter hits. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-11          114690

We had a real serious thunder storm go through here on the front edge of a cold front that was moving in late yesterday afternoon.

I happened to be in the office doing something and noticed all of a sudden the sunlight coming in the window disappeared. In the span of 3 minutes the wind went from 10 kts. and steady from the SSW, to 40 kts. and gusting to 62 kts. from the NNW, and the temperature dropped from 91° to 79°, it was spooky.

It broke the Bermuda High we were stuck in though, now it's 80° and low humidity, it can stay like this till about October.

Best of luck. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-11          114692

I've seen thunderstorms here drop the temperature 35 degrees in just minutes.

I don't have a wind gauge, but the winds have been at least as high as you noted. I know when I forgot to roll up the awning on the travel trailer, it went away. Probably landed the same place as Dorothy and Toto did.

Weather or not

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-11          114706

Well it looks like we are finally getting some decent rain, at least it looks that way on Radar, wont know until I get home if we actually got anything worthwhile. I sure would like to see at least 3 or 4 days of soft rain so my pastures and hay field have a chance to recover and grow a bit before the next cutting. Looks like we will delay the last cutting until October. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-08-11          114710

taheide, same here in Iowa. I was getting ready to start to water the small trees when the rain finally showed up. Heat wave broke as well. We were getting a good soaking rain this morning. It's about time. My wife tried to plant flowers on Tuesday, but the ground was so dry it was almost like trying to dig through cement. ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-08-12          114766

Right now at 3:41pm in central Kentucky the temp is 95, 30% humidity, with a 1 mph wind. We are in a moderate drought and little to no rain forecast for the next week.

Tomorrow my outside work will be done in the morning and the afternoon spent in the pool with a cold beer. Dave ....

Weather or not

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-14          114844

Bum, you have a pool! Thats cheating. :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login