Go Bottom Go Bottom

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-09          97986

Anybody haul your tractor on a truck instead of a tailer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-09          98000

If you want to buy a 18' rollback truck to just haul your BX23, it will work great, no, excellent. Not many of us can justify the $$$ to do this. That's why I bought a truck and trailer. Why haul around the trailer space when you don't need it?

I don't use my truck as a daily driver any more (86 VW Diesel Jetta for that!), but I could. You really can't use a 25' long, 20K GVW flatbed as a daily driver. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-09          98006

1*. Why haul around the trailer space when you don't need it?

2*I don't use my truck as a daily driver any more (86 VW Diesel Jetta for that!), but I could. You really can't use a 25' long, 20K GVW flatbed as a daily driver.

AV8R
1*Well this is another way of looking at it.
But my way of looking at it is why manhandle 2 vehicles around hauling the tractor if you can do it with just one? Why haul around the unused truck space?
2*IF I bought a trailer I would have to buy a truck to pull it with.
This truck would not be my daily driver either (I have 4 import pick ups for that)

What I'm looking at in my case is If I can buy a truck to haul the tractor somewhere at or near the cost of buying both a trailer and a tow vehicle then why fool with the trailer?

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-10          98034

If you can justify the $$$, go for it. I need to have my vehicles wear multiple hats. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-10          98037

I need to have my vehicles wear multiple hats.
AV8R
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
And I don''t need multiple vehicles wearing the same hats.

LOL
Seems you and I are in opposite situations sorta. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-10-12          98159

There are multiple reasons why you don't want to use a big flatbed truck to haul your tractor unless it fits your specific needs.
1. A flatbed truck is much higher than a trailer. Usually you need a permanent ramp at points "A" & "B" to load or unload. Sometimes backing into a shallow ditch works and then use ramps. The angle is too steep to try to use foldable ramps.
2. A flatbed truck with as much weight hauling capacity as a double or triple axle trailer is more like a 450/550 or 4500 or 5500 series truck. This means lots of diesel and expensive repair costs.
3. Depending on the state that you live in, the motor vehicle/secretary of state usually makes you have a CDL to drive dualies. Some states is starts with 350/3500 other with 450/4500.
4. Unless you are a farmer, license plates are very expensive for big flatbeds in most states.
5. For only about $3,200.00, I got a new triple axle flatbed trailer than can haul about 10,000 lbs. I can hook it up when it is needed.
6. For only another $3,500.00, I also got a new tandem axle dump trailer than can haul about 10,000 lbs. I can hook it up when it is needed.
7. Many times, both types of trailers are needed. Granted with a flatbed truck you can haul the dump trailer behind. I usually can get a friend to follow with his pickup. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-12          98174

Unless you travel a long way, or fairly often, with that tractor you will probably find that for just a fraction of the cost of insurance & depreciation alone on your own tilt-bed tow truck you could hire one to take where you want to go and not have the hassle of maintaining your own truck, repairs, etc.

Several people who have CUT's near me do this, the local towing company has a deal with several of the area dealerships, if they can move the CUT as time allows (fill-in work) they do it for a LOT less than normal rates. The tow truck gets work when they normally wouldn't have it, and the customer gets a cheap move.

Best of luck.

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-12          98175

5. For only about $3,200.00, I got a new triple axle flatbed trailer than can haul about 10,000 lbs. I can hook it up when it is needed.
6. For only another $3,500.00, I also got a new tandem axle dump trailer than can haul about 10,000 lbs. I can hook it up when it is needed.
yooperpete
What do you tow these with?
My problem is I don't have a tow vehicle either. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-12          98178

LBrown, maybe I'm missing something here, you have a BX23, the tractor itself weighs 1500#, even with a few extra implements included, the weight probably wouldn't be more than about 3k #.

Almost any V6 powered import truck will pull that and a trailer, provided you have brakes, sway-control and an equalizing hitch and drove with moderation it probably wouldn't even be a bad drive.

Best of luck. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-10-12          98187

Like Murf says, you don't need a big truck to haul a BX. I would think a 1/2 ton truck would be enough with a tandem 14 or 16ft trailer. Sixteen feet or more would be my recommendation since usually you find more "bigger" uses after you have it. I would recommend a small V-8 over a 6. A 1/2 ton truck empty on the highway with V-8 should yield about 16-18mpg. I get about 14-15 with a 3/4 ton on the highway. Somewhere, however I thought you also had either a bush hog or BH that would add some more weight and require extra bed length. I use a F250 Super Duty with 5.4 gas. I don't tow great distances, usually under 20 miles each way and it is on flat ground. My longer treks are about 100 miles each way to the condo or hunting property. Love my truck but chances are will go diesel next time.

Murf has a point about renting a hauling unit when it is needed. I like my own stuff and use it when I want to and don't like to work around anyone elses schedule. I'm usually short on time. If you have a tilt box on a truck that helps with regard to the loading and unloading headaches of a regular truck.

When I was a kid we used a sod ramp that butted up against a vertical wall of 4 railroad ties. Sometimes when we loaded a tractor the sod was wet and the tires would spin on the way up. We would get a running start and would have to stop just in time before crashing through the front of the box. The farm truck was a '55 chevy and the IH 400 (3-4 bottom plow rated) full size farm tractor just fit on it. A fast stop would get everything swaying. It seemed like a long way up their when you were in the seat. But again I was only about 10-12 years old. Was impressionable at that age. I also was scared to drive the combine on the road in those days. The road was crowned and narrow and the ditch was deep. When meeting a car on the road you had to drop the front tire of the combine part way down the ditch. When coming back out you had to be careful since the rear wheels of a combine steer and go further down the ditch on that way out. It didn't have power steering and for the life of me I couldn't figure out the shifting pattern so I would always have to stop and hold the clutch in until my dad took it out of gear. Now I understand the shift pattern was 2 vertical H's. If you turned the combine off, half the time it wouldn't restart without a jump. So much for JD 55 combines with Hercules engines. They sucked. Sorry, got off on a tangent! ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-12          98226

1*Several people who have CUT's near me do this, the local towing company has a deal with several of the area dealerships, if they can move the CUT as time allows (fill-in work) they do it for a LOT less than normal rates. The tow truck gets work when they normally wouldn't have it, and the customer gets a cheap move.
Murf
2*LBrown, maybe I'm missing something here, you have a BX23, the tractor itself weighs 1500#, even with a few extra implements included, the weight probably wouldn't be more than about 3k #.
3*Almost any V6 powered import truck will pull that and a trailer, provided you have brakes, sway-control and an equalizing hitch and drove with moderation it probably wouldn't even be a bad drive.
Murf
1*I will check around and see if they do that around here.
My dealer is 58 miles away, but this could work for short local trips.
2*
3*Drat all 4 of mine are 4 bangers.

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-14          98350

1*Murf has a point about renting a hauling unit when it is needed.
2* I like my own stuff and use it when I want to and don't like to work around anyone elses schedule.

Like Murf says, you don't need a big truck to haul a BX.
If you have a tilt box on a truck that helps with regard to the loading and unloading headaches of a regular truck.
yooperpete]
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
1*Yes he does
2*So do I.
3*I wasn't thinking of a big truck .
What I had in mind was something about the size of the Ford F-350 with a 14 or 16 foot roll back bed.
It would really be nice if it would dump too. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-14          98355

LBrown, a tilt'n'load bed, by function of how they work cannot dump. A roll-off can dump, but they are VERY rare as small units and the cost is MUCH higher than for instance a tow-truck type setup.

For the amount of weight you are looking at, even an F-350 is far more than you need. My pickup, as an example, is a heavy F-350, crew cab 4WD & diesel really add up, but it has a curb weight of a little under 8,000# and a GVWR of 11,000# meaning it has a payload of about double what you need.

If you are talking about your typical F-350, 2WD, standard V8 gas engine and a steel flatdeck, that would have a curb weight of about 6,000# but still be 11,000# GVWR, for a payload of 5,000# a little more than triple what you need.

As I said before, unless you plan on moving your machine, or other stuff, on a pretty rregular basis, it would be pretty hard to justify the cost of just insurance & maintenance, let alone the purchase price. A tilt'n'load on a chassis that isn't junk will start at about $15,000 and go WAY up from there.

Also, do yourself a favour, call your insurance broker, most now will NOT insure a tow truck for 'personal use only' because all the independants did that then used them commercially anyways, they got stung enough they just stopped doing it. Commercial coverage is probably going to be at least 3 times the cost of personal use, it is up here, I can't imagine it's much different south of the Great Lakes.

Best of luck. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-14          98378

I think I'm hauling my BX23 with as light a set-up as possible. Check out my Pix. The trailer is only 5 x 14 with a single 3500# axle and a surge brake on the tongue. I haul this around with my minivan without any problems although it does tend to slow a bit on steep or long hills. The aluminum trailer is light enough to roll around by hand when not in use and I have sides for it when I need a utility trailer. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-14          98392

1*The trailer is only 5 x 14 with a single 3500# axle and a surge brake on the tongue.
2* I haul this around with my minivan
1*Nice trailer
Where could a guy get one like it.
2*What kind of minivan do you have?
How many Cylinders does it have? ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-14          98393

It's kind of odd, Kubota lists the BX23 at 1500#, and the BX2230 at 1290# on their website. I know for a fact that the FEL weighs more than 210#, and the BH has to go at least 500#, so I think their weight on the BX23 is the tractor only. Does anyone have a total wieght (with FEL and BH) on the BX23? It's gotta be near 2500#. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-14          98394

I just saw a single axle trailer with a b 7500 kubota & MMM on it.
The trailer was just wide enough for the mower and the trailer was about 3 or 4 feet longer than the tractor.
The tow Veh. was a full size chevy PU.

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-14          98395

Yeah, there's some scary stuff on the roads. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-14          98396

Does anyone have a total wieght (with FEL and BH) on the BX23? It's gotta be near 2500#.
Tractor 1520
FEL ?
HOE 617

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-14          98397

UP DATE

Does anyone have a total wieght (with FEL and BH) on the BX23? It's gotta be near 2500#.
Tractor 1520
FEL 430
HOE 617
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TOTAL 2567

2500 was a good guess.

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-14          98398

Yeah, there's some scary stuff on the roads.
==================
No doubt ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-10-14          98401

my two cents i tow a jd 955 with fell and bushhog with my 96 toyota tocoma it has a four cylinder engine i know its back there but it tows just fine the electric brakes on the trailor helps too ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-10-14          98403

there is a builder in my town that has an F- 550 with a roll off set up on it & he hauls his JD 970 around in the back of the truck when he needs to move it. It does look odd I must say. I haul my L3130 with a tandem axle trailer everyday. I use my mason dump to haul it. I alos use the bed of the truck to haul things while transporting my tractor. I haul trees, topsiol, brush whatever while hauling my tractor. I also have a 12' tandem axle dump trailer. I dont like to use it for topsoil. It can be tricky to manuever the trailer with all that wieght in it & also because its lower to the ground it doesnt dump in as tight of a pile, you have to essentially spread & dump alittle bit which can be a nuicence at times. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
plots1

2004-10-14          98409

A 955 with a loader and hog pulled with a toyota 4 banger.???? Man that seems to be pushing the envelope a bit.Is it hard to see the lines on the road while doing that? ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-14          98414

lbrown, my trailer is a Worthington, I ordered it from REP Enterprises in New Hampshire and was able to specify exactly how I wanted it set up. Its actually 5'6" by 14. With a tongue jack, alluminum rail sides, and the brakes it cost a bit over 2k. My minivan is a 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.3 6 cylinder. Its only supposed to tow 2k so I'm about 1k over with the tractor. Still, it seems to do fine even if I have to stop abruptly. My bext minivan will be a Town and Country rated to tow 3500. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-10-14          98418

actualy i was quite surprised the yota does quite well the rear suspension is quite beefy and the truck squats very little when towing of course its alot in how you load the trailor too too much tonge weight and id be doin wheel stands.i generaly load it backward if the bush hog is on that way the weight is on the axles just perfect. i must say if that trailor had no brakes it would never stop it. so i leave plenty stopping distance just in case they fail! ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-14          98420

We have a rent it place here that has 3 Terramite Tractors they rent out.
They haul the Terramite on a trailer that is the same length as the tractor.They tow this with a flat bed or dump bed truck like the Ford F 350.
The trailer is different than most trailers. It's not a tilt bed and no loading ramps are needed.
The bed lowers clear down flat with the ground or pavement so you just drive straight onto the trailer.
Anyone have a trailer like this?
If U Haul won't rent you a trailer try an equipment rental place.

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-15          98443

I took another look at the pictures of your trailer.
The wheels on it look just like the wheels on my 8 foot utility trailer.
What size are they?
Looks like your trailer sits pretty low to the ground so the ramps up to it would not be quite as steep.
What do you use for ramps?
Could you tell me how much the empty trailer weighs
Wonder if the manufacturer ships to Ohio.

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-15          98448

Looks like the trailers have the vote.
LOL ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-15          98455

"Its actually 5'6" by 14. With a tongue jack, alluminum rail sides, and the brakes it cost a bit over 2k."

Mine is a 102" x 18' with four electric brakes. Cost me $1800 in 1997. My neighbor just bought the same thing new 2 months ago for $1750.

"My minivan is a 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.3 6 cylinder. Its only supposed to tow 2k so I'm about 1k over with the tractor. Still, it seems to do fine even if I have to stop abruptly. My bext minivan will be a Town and Country rated to tow 3500."

I hope you never have an "incident" with this rig. Your insurance will not cover any of it, liability or collision. ....

Picture Link
Pickup Trucks and Trailers  Truck VS Trailer

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-15          98462

The wheels on my Worthington are f78/14. The trailer is quite low which no doubt helps with stability. It also tilts so I can flip it up and drive right on without ramps. To AV8R, I bought insurance to cover the tractor in transit or in case it falls off the trailer and lands on your car. Actually, I wouldn't tow it if it wasn't stable or if it was hard to stop. More likely my transmission will take some extra strain - but I'm due for a new vehicle anyway. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-15          98475

Kendews, there is a difference between paying for insurance, and actually getting a claim paid.

If you are not hauling your trailer legally, it is in fact against the law for the insurance company to pay your claim if they are aware of the situation. If the State Troopers, any local cop who knew what he was doing, or a DOT person investigate an 'incedent' involving that rig you could be in for a NASTY surprise.

The tires on your trailer are F78/14's, I'd be willing to bet if you looked at the weight rating stamped on the sidewall of those tires you will find that those two tires are NOT rated to hold the load you are putting on them.

Trailer tires are a MUCH stiffer sidewall and have higher load ratings, the size on them starts with "ST" denoting "special trailer", they are not for passenger vehicles, those start with "P" for "passenger" or "LT" for "light truck".

Best of luck. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-15          98484

Murf, Your point is well taken. My trailer tires do indeed say ST and the load rating is 1760 - I assume that is per tire. The trailer weighs in at only about 500 lbs because it is aluminum. So as I understand it, my trailer should be alright but I should have a heavier vehicle to tow it. Maybe I can convince my wife to let me add a small dump truck to my menagerie. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-15          98487

Kendews, there is a difference between paying for insurance, and actually getting a claim paid.

If you are not hauling your trailer legally
=======================
Who says he's not legal?
If he is what isn't legal? ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-15          98488

Maybe I can convince my wife to let me add a small dump truck to my menagerie.
=============================
Get a 3/4 ton pick up and have a dump bed installed in it.Or buy one that all ready has one.
That's what I'd love to have. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-15          98489

I hope you never have an accident with this rig.
1*Your insurance will not cover any of it, liability or collision.
=================================
1*His trailer is rated for 3500# the tractor is 2500# And
The trailer is factory built,so why wouldn't he be covered? ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-15          98490

The wheels on my Worthington are f78/14
It also tilts so I can flip it up and drive right on without ramps.
]]]]]]]]][[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]][[[[[[[[[[[][][] ][
Mine are the same stile as yours but are 13 "
That's what I figured right after I hit post. lol

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-15          98492

Trailer tires are a MUCH stiffer sidewall and have higher load ratings, the size on them starts with "ST" denoting "special trailer", they are not for passenger vehicles, those start with "P" for "passenger" or "LT" for "light truck".
Murf
================
P is the only tires I ever buy or run on my 4 pick ups. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-16          98518

I've never owned a pickup, (dang, do I get booted off this forum now?) so help me out. If I were to get a 3/4 ton with a dump bed would I be able to fill it with dirt? Or would that be too much weight? ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Billy

2004-10-16          98519

Murf,

"Kendews, there is a difference between paying for insurance, and actually getting a claim paid.

If you are not hauling your trailer legally, it is in fact against the law for the insurance company to pay your claim if they are aware of the situation. If the State Troopers, any local cop who knew what he was doing, or a DOT person investigate an 'incedent' involving that rig you could be in for a NASTY surprise."

I'm not sure that is actually true. People driving drunk and involved in accidents,their insurance pays. If you are speeding and have an accident, your insurance pays. If you run a stop light and have an accident, your insurance pays.

I would bet if you were towing more than what was rated for your vehicle, and had an accident, your insurance would pay up. You may get canceled afterwards or pay for high risk insurance. But the chances of being sued and losing will go up dramatically.

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-16          98520

Kendrews: It depends on the dump mech and the truck chassis. If you want to fill to the top of the cab, with wet black dirt, no. A couple of yards of dry soil with a good hydro dump and a slippery bed liner, yeah probably. These are not a dumptrucks, but they are convenient.

lbrown59: I was refering to the fact that his van and trailer were over the CGVW (combined gross vehicle weight) assigned to his van. He gave a 2000# max trailer weight. Does not mean it won't tow or work, but that is a lawyer's opening for liability or even criminal procedings. With the right setup you may be able to use one of your small P/U trucks to tow your BX23. Ever consider a small gooseneck trailer? Just a thought.

Billy: I'll take that bet. I've seen it happen (DUI). Read the fine print in your policy. They always have the right to exclude you for something. (more lawyers)

IMHO: Something as massive(size) and heavy as a tractor (even a sub-cut) has no business on a 2 wheeled trailer. Especially behind a light vehicle. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-16          98525

AV8R: you may have a valid point about the trailer business, but you also chose to post a Bush/Cheney sign among your pix. I'm afraid that demonstrating such terribly poor judgement undermines any credibility you might have had. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-16          98527

I'll see you on the pointless and hostile string! LOL

Good taste is hard to recognize, usually, but I make it so easy! ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-16          98532

Kendrews: That was way the hell out of line.

You are the one with the damaged credibility now. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-10-16          98541

i AGREE with you rankin...he is way the hell out of line! His creditability is shot with me! ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Billy

2004-10-16          98548

Could be, AV8R but I couldn't find it under Exclusions.

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-16          98549

Well you're all right, I was way out of line, but did you see the picture of my Senator AV8R has up? Frankly I found it hilarious. My comment was meant as a good natured retort. I'm very sorry if I genuinely offended anyone. I'll stick to relevent topics from now on - but don't expect me to be too serious. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-16          98550

Billy, it wouldn't be the first time I have been corrected, but I'll stick with the percentages.

I'd rather not give them (insurance companies) the chance to exclude me for something. That's a fight I'd rather not try.

Kendrews: Not taken seriously, no offence taken. The political BS these days has everyone too tightened up. (me included sometimes) ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-17          98564

OK. All is forgiven.

Do you reckon that picture of Kerry is a bad botox day? ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-17          98570

LOL. How 'bout the new pic (#14) ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-18          98625

Kendrews & LBrown, my comment about legality is that the trailer regulations in every state regulation, and the ICC rules, that I have seen all have one clear exemption.

They usually state the maximum trailer weights as something like "X,XXX pounds or the vehicles GCWR, whichever is the lesser of the two.". Minivans don't typically have high trailer towing rates unless specially ordered with a trailer-tow prep. package.

In any case, the weight limits for ANY trailer are the lowest factor in the equation. For instance, if you have a 10k # tandem trailer and hook it to a 1 ton dually, but it only has a ball through the bumper, which is stamped as 3500 # max. then thats all your legal for, including the trailer itself. Unless that minivan has a Class III or higher trailer hitch (2"x2" square receiver type) on it then anything more than 3,500 # is technically illegal. If it has the 'hidden hitch' type of trailer hitch that uses a 2" x 5/8" flat bar then anything over 2,000 # is a no-no.

Billy, re-read your policy statement, the big legalese document. I think you will find a statement in there about the coverage that says something like "covered for.... as long as the vehicle is maintained and operated according to the applicable statutes and regulations.". If they pay for an accident when you were speeding, or ran a stop, it's only because they wanted to. As for DUI, they only pay for damage done to others property, not the driver's unless the vehicle is financed or leased, and then they will only pay the 3rd party. If it's a write-off and it was worth $20k but only had $5k still owing, they will pay off the $5k lien-holder and refuse to pay the balance.

Best of luck. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-18          98677

lbrown59: I was refering to the fact that his van and trailer were over the CGVW (combined gross vehicle weight) assigned to his van.
AV8R
=================
I thought so.
Just posted for clarification.
Thanks for this reply.
[color=criminson] ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-18          98695

If I were to get a 3/4 ton with a dump bed would I be able to fill it with dirt? Or would that be too much weight?
I had a new 1971 Ford F 250 camper special 3/4 ton pick up that I hauled 6000 pounds on a couple of times which was a little to much but if i didn't go over 4000 to 4500 Pounds it was no problem. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-22          99044

Kill two stones with one bird and get a maxi-dump trailer. You can haul your tractor in one of those babies. They have ramps built into them so they are dual purpose trailers. But if you do get one, I would highly suggest a 3/4 ton or bigger truck with a long wheelbase. I pulled one I rented with an F150 super cab short bed and when I got on this one wishy washy road the trailer decided to start swaying back and forth on me and I nearly lost it. I no longer have the F150, I traded it up to an F350 Crew Cab Dually long bed. I now can care less if the trailer sways, I dont notice it with this bigass bertha of a truck. :) Even fully loaded with the tiller on the tractor, FEL, and box blade and boom in the truck, I have to look back there to remind me I am towing something. ....

Truck VS Trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-22          99059

Looks like the trailers won it hands down over the trucks.
Now where can i get a self propelled trailer.

L O L ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login