Go Bottom Go Bottom

5 hole pattern 16 inch wheels for trailer

View my Photos
circlediron
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-18          170095

need help finding 5 hole pattern 16 inch wheel to fit on trailer that originally had 15 inch wheels can anyone offer info on where to find

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-18          170099

My experience is 16 inch tires are for medium duty trucks and trailers up to probably 12,000 GVWR maybe 14,000 depending if they're dually. That said the lugs are usually 8 but may be 6.

If memory serves, the 16 inchers were used back in the 70's but astill may be 6 or 8 lugs. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-19          170124

As EW kind of hinted at, you won't find them, they don't exist.

The 5 bolt rim only goes up as big as 15", at 16" or bigger they are 6, 8 or 10 bolts per wheel.

If you are determined to go to 16" tires you will have to change the hubs and brakes if they are available for your spindle, otherwise you will need to change axles.

All of that is also dependent on whether or not the larger wheels will fit inside your fenders and such.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-04-22          170205

Hmmmmmmm.............

http://www.gemplers.com/product/G8527/5-Hole-16x5-1-2-5-8-2000-Ag-Wheel

Link:   Gemplers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-04-22          170221

Hmm is right. It's an AG wheel. It doesn't have a safety bead to retain the tire. And I wonder if it needs to be or is DOT-approved to be used on highway. And is it compatible strength and offset-wise? 2000lb. rating isn't much---I think it should be somewhere around 3500 if memory serves.

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-04-22          170222

Explain the safety bead thing.

It looks like any other steel wheel, but I could be missing something........??

Clearly there is some sort of difference as Gemplers has seperate listings for "Ag Wheels" and "High Speed Trailer Wheels". I need to be educated....... ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-04-23          170223

The safety bead of the rim is a groove on both sides of the rim that holds the bead of the tire in the event of it running flat. Compare that to a non-safety bead rim and you'll find the rim is angled back from the rim edge with nothing to obstruct the tire bead.

If you've ever lost pressure in a tractor tire---even a little--you found the tire came off the rim in a flash.

A DOT-approved or for-highway-use tire will usually stay on the rim even at high speed. And even when totally flat and nearly shredded you can still drive on it since the rim is riding on the inside of the tire carcass.

FWIW, having off-road tires on my equipment--especially a heavy skid steer-- I prefer to use inner tubes to prevent sudden air loss and subsequent tire dismounting. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-04-23          170243

Mark, EW nailed it, but the real devil lives in the details.

An AG rim (like that you referenced) is a 5 hole rim, but the studs are in a 5.5" circle and the center pilot hole is 4".

A trailer hub has 5 bolts in a 4.5" circle, and it has a 3.19" center pilot hole.

They do that on purpose so that the two are not interchangeable.

You can however, if you are so inclined, still get a machine shop to cut out and replace the center of the rim, but that gets spendy fast.

But as I mentioned above, overall size will be an issue, the difference between a 'standard' 15" trailer tire and a 16" is about 4.75" in diameter. On most trailers that will cause clearance issues.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-04-23          170248

And don't bother asking for a receipt for machine shop work as no one in their right mind would want to accept that liability. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-04-23          170250

I'm feeling more educated already.......... ....

View my Photos
nrev52

2014-03-05          189423

They are hard to find but earlier Ford P.U. 46 through 50?? had these. (16 in) I have an old trailer made from one and the same bolt pattern/center hole also fits up to 1996 Ford and some Dodge 1/2 4x4.
For reality's sake though I would simply use the 15 in and trailer or LT tires for the load rating.
They can be had but, the cost . . . ....

View my Photos
nrev52

2014-03-05          189424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 170124
As EW kind of hinted at, you won't find them, they don't exist.The 5 bolt rim only goes up as big as 15", at 16" or bigger they are 6, 8 or 10 bolts per wheel.If you are determined to go to 16" tires you will have to change the hubs and brakes if they are available for your spindle, otherwise you will need to change axles. All of that is also dependent on whether or not the larger wheels will fit inside your fenders and such.Best of luck.

I know this is old but! They are hard to find but earlier Ford P.U. 46 through 50?? had these. (16 in) I have an old trailer made from one and the same bolt pattern/center hole also fits up to 1996 Ford and some Dodge 1/2 4x4.

Just FYI. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login