Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pulling tractor on car hauler

View my Photos
EYEMAN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-02          136543

I reciently tried to rent a u-haul car hauling trailer to move my L2900 Kubotia. The rental center said they would not allow me to haul a tractor on a car trailer, they could'nt give me a reason why. Is there any reason why this type of trailer is unsafe to haul a tractor on? My max towing weight is 6K. The tractor with FEL is a little less than 4K.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-02          136548

It is about their corporate rules.

If you were going to transport a car they would demand the license plate info and the VIN before they rent to you.

I have looked at their car haulers and they seem a bit short..... like maybe 12-13 feet max?

And there could be some problems if the trailer has an open center type design. Small CUT's have a very narrow tread as compared to a car. That's why I bought a flatbed with a full wooden deck. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-03          136556

The previous post is correct, it's one of those "not wanting to open the flood gates" things.

Besides, to the average Joe (or Joline) behind the desk at the local (insert corporate name here) truck rental place, a "tractor" is something a farmer uses, it is 8' tall and weighs several tons more than their trailers can carry.

Now, if you were to ask the same people if they had a big trailer you could use to move a "large riding mower" or "large garden tractor" with, they might just rent you a trailer, but don't count on it.

I recall hearing that one of the big reasons they want an ownership, VIN, etc., is that during times of crisis, just before & after hurricanes, etc., a lot of people used to rent trucks & car trailers, pile them up high with plywood, 2x4's etc., and head into the storm area and try to make a buck selling lumber. Good for them, bad for the trucks, trailers, and the people that own & rent them out.

If you aren't going far, you can often have a flatbed wrecker make the move for you for less than the cost of renting a trailer. On longer distances, ask at your local RV dealer, almost everyone of them have someone who hauls RV's for them, most of those people also have (or have access to) a trailer and will haul it for you to or from anywhere.

We've done this a few times for people in our area. Mostly referrals from the local dealers who know us.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-11-03          136577

Murf touched on it. The beds of U-haul car haulers are not tailored for anything than for what they're designed for as the floors are basically ramps or guides for the tires and the floors are open. Then there's the tie- or hold-down issue--they're designed for integrated strap-type wheel hold downs. Then there's licensing (possibly), like on wreckers/recovery trucks (rollbacks especially) used for hauling equipment or anything but a vehicle for money, they require special---and very expensive--license plates called "apportioned plates". Then there's insurance; a vehicle on the trailer may have a different legal standing (insured or otherwise) if it came off the trailer and killed someone or caused property damage. At least in Michigan, a piece of farm equipment or construction equipment can be on the road and not be insured and cause damage (I know---I was on a 4-lane highway and hit by a roadworker's backhoe going the wrong way while I was waiting to make a turn around). So if your uninsured tractor came off and hit someone---because it shouldn't have been on the "car hauler", U-haul may be on the hook. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-04          137576

I rented, and hauled my 8N on one 2 years ago. They asked what I was hauling it with and what kind of vehical but did not ask for a vin number. I think I told them, "It will be a smallish vehical but I was not sure"? They did not ask any more questions. I rented it from a regular
U-haul dealer place. The trailer pulled the 8N great with next to no problems. The front tire straprs held it perfect but I had a four point tie down anyways using the side frame and the hooks. Since then I have bought a trailer for the very reason you all were talkin about. I lied (bought what I was haulin) and I never do that! Sooner or later it will bite ya ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login