Go Bottom Go Bottom

Load Trail Trailers Experience

View my Photos
retcol
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-17          136002

Does any one have any first hand experience with Load Trail Trailers? I am looking for any common problems with them.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-10-18          136046

I bought a 10' tandem axle Load Trail dump trailer in March. Probably used it about 20 times with no problems. Paint job is not the best but over all quality is pretty good campared to some others I looked at. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-20          156200

I think they're made in China, which lowers the cost, but means (at least in my case) that no documentation (like an Owners Manual) comes with it. My 16' double-axle has worked fine over the years, though the single tailgate is so heavy I got a spring assist. I emailed three simple questions on it to the distributor; one was answered satisfactorily. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-20          156204

auer: You can download a free Owner's Manual from their web site.

It appears from their sister web site that they are based in Texas.

However, when I working on the Gulf Coast cleaning up Katrins, 90% of the 20 yard dump trailers in use there were Load Trails most likely because a lot of the workers were from the south, and they were the most competitively priced. The quality was not first rate but maaaaan could they haul! I loaded some with 60,000 lb plus! Keep in mind these guys were adding high sides to themto increase the capacity to as much as 40 yards. In most cases all the guys were using were 2wd trucks--sometimes 1500's outfitted with flat beds for the hitches. That was fine until; they got to the dump and had to pulled (read: yanked) with dozers since you really needed 4wd.

Toward the end of my 18-month "tour" as it were, I stopped in at a local Mississippi dealer who was selling these Load Trails. The salesperson tells me they're made in America. errrrrr? I looked down on the tongue (the trailer's) and there was white and black "Made in Mexico" sticker. She thought I put there as a joke. No joke. We checked them all and sure enough "Made in Mexico".

I'd buy one though in a heartbeat.

My 5-yd/12,000 GVW dumper was made in Canada, eh?
P.O.S.---looks like some third-graders on crack assembled it. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-08-21          156218

Thanks; it's good to know the manual's there, although it covers all models.

What I need is what tire pressure to use on a tandem carrying a CUT with FEL and MMM. Both the email reply and the online manual said the answer was printed on the sidewalls. After two other people searched all four tires with a magnifier, I can state that no max or any pressure is printed there. (I guessed 55.)

Also needed instructions on servicing the battery. May be there on a closer look but didn't see anything on a first run-through.

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-21          156219

I don't know what brand of tires you have, but I believe it's the law that every tire has to have the load rating and inflation info printed on it.

That's not to say it hasn't been scrubbed off though.

What brand and size (ply or load rating) are the tires? It can be looked up easy enough, I have a tire data book put out by Firestone, I'd be happy to look it up for you if you want...

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-08-21          156222

auer: Have you looked on both sidewalls of the tires? It's gotta be there. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-08-21          156226

Until I can hire a malnourished kid to crawl under and read what may be printed on the inside, I admit to have looked just on the outside. On which it says, in its entirety,

MILESTAR ST 205I75R15
DOT 4YB3CJ1C 4704
RADIAL S/T
M-108
Tubeless Tread 4 plies 2 polyester + 2 steel
6PR LOAD RATING
Max Load 1820 lbs (825 Kg)
MHO 402-08
Do not mount on 5.5 inch rim
Safety Warning [deals with mounting according to Owners Manual]
Made in China

You know Murf, it is my fond wish, nay my fervent urge, to some day find something that I know and (I shudder to say, not that it could ever come to pass) you don't. After all, may not my reach exceed my grasp? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-22          156242

Aw shucks, you're gonna make me blush! LOL

According to the data book and a tire catalogue I found, that tire should be run at 50psi.

I should also mention however, that a quick Google search of that tire, Milestar BTW is a model of tire made by Nankang Tires of China, were part of a very widely (in the RV community) voluntary recall campaign because they were VERY susceptible to deep cracks at a very young age.

I would urge you to at least have a very close look at the tires, particularly down inside the treads themselves.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-22          156245

You know Murf, it is my fond wish, nay my fervent urge, to some day find something that I know and (I shudder to say, not that it could ever come to pass) you don't. After all, may not my reach exceed my grasp?

auerbasch, let me help you there: You know what it is like for mere mortal to benefit by the wisdom of THE GREAT MURF as shared with mere mortal. :) KT ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-08-22          156246

Just be patient there my friend -- according to Murhpy's Law, NOBODY can know EVERYTHING!

I emailed the tire maker how to get replacements on the recall. Might not apply to trailers, but I'll let you know. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-22          156248

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 156246
Just be patient there my friend -- according to Murhpy's Law, NOBODY can know EVERYTHING!

Totally agree and for some things so thankful to God I have no idea on them. kt ....

View my Photos
TRAILERSGUY

2020-04-25          199107

Load Trail Trailers are made in Texas, the sticker that info was printed on was made in Mexico, but not the trailer, all trailer tires are made china there are none made domestically. The wheels are from china as well. There are a number of trailer components that are all made in China, jacks, couplers, and lights as well. Guy ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login