Go Bottom Go Bottom

Looking for off-road dump trailer

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-05          131738

I want an ATV style dump trailer to haul around our property. Something that can carry maybe 1500 lbs at a time for firewood and bigger than the typical 3x4 size, maybe something 4x6 or 4x8 so for carrying bulky slash. Has anyone seen something like this for sale anywhere? I've been looking for a week or so online and pretty much came up empty. Need to buy, not build, since welding is not an option.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-05          131741

KW: What about a used, small boat trailer? Get one with a tilting tongue and VOILA! A dump trailer! Might need to cut the tongue (the trailer's) down. The bed/frame would be v-shaped so that's a good thing and the upright guides in the rear would serve as sides especially if you're loading slash. Might need another set in the front or another on the sides. Wish I would have known about this earlier---I threw out sooo many of them---from wee ones to biggons with three axles and aluminum rims. And some even had boats on them too. Shoot, they're still showing up in ditches all the time. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-05          131744

King Kutter makes just what you want.

It uses a hand pump to dump, but I'd bet you could plumb it to run off the tractor hydraulics.

The local big box tractor supply here stocks them. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-05          131746

Mark, that looks perfect! There are no big box tractor stores here but I'll look up a King Kutter dealer.

Earthwrks, I'm having a little trouble picturing how a boat trailer would work. It seems they'd all require a fair amount of fabrication to build a deck, sides and a tailgate. Have you seen one of these modded out that way? I'd love to see a picture. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-05          131748

Hey Mark, have the fires let up or are they still a threat? Hope you're getting some sleep. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-06          131756

You might want to look at the Pronovost line. The P-503 has worked well. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-06          131757

Art pointed you in the right direction, we have been using Pronovost units for years, they stand up well, even to daiily commerical use.

They cost a few bucks, but are definitely top-drawer stuff.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-07-06          131762

Ken, I just played with the KK dumy trailer at our local farm supply store yesterday. My initial opinion is that it would be a nice addition to the collection. It looked fairly stout and well made. The front of the bed came up about 2-3 inches per pump (empty of course). The price tag said $18xx.00. It had a ball hitch as well as a drawbar type hitch.
Dave ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-06          131763

KW: I haven't seen a boat rlaer used as a dump trailer, but I have seen many converted as a utility trailer either for on-road or off-road microfarm use. A fair amount of fabrication depends on your inventive and resourcefulness. NorthernTool.com has one or two that might work. I think I'd buy a full size one to pull behind the truck OR the tractor. I paid about $5000 for my 5-yd (rated at 12,500 lb. GVW) I have pulled it on dry, solid ground fully loaded with sand and broken concrete with my NH TC33D. Whatever you get be sure to test it for tilt-back. What I mean if you have aheavy load and it tilts back too far you'll have not only negative tongue weight but it could have enough leverage to lift and over turn the tractor. I have had concrete hang up in the dump box and while tilting it back (dumping) lifted the rear tires of my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. I'm jis' saying... ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-06          131767

Ken, the fires have let up..... for the moment. We had another smaller one just a mile away on Sunday. The fire crews jumped on it right quick before it could spread.

BTW, I also liked the KK dumper, it seems to be a well made unit.

I got my new high pressure PTO water pump from Agri-supply via the Brown Santa yesterday. It is a much better pump than the one I got from Northern Tool several years ago.

More T-Storms and lightning coming this weekend, they say.
I'll be as ready as I can be.... ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-06          131776

I was happy to make it through the 4th without woodland fires here. It was nice that it sprinkled a bit Tuesday morning but was beautifully clear for fireworks. Keep up the good fight, Mark, and stay safe.

The KK trailer is $1900 on sale at Northern Tools but their shipping is a killer. I found a KK dealer an hour away that has 'em for about the same price. I'd have to figure a way to get it home. I'm not sure why the KK trailer is limited to 20 mph when a lot of road rated trailers appear to be built a heck of a lot cheaper. Tires or wheel bearings I guess.

The Provonost looks good too. I'll look into that one as well.

Earthwrks, for my application a full size trailer may prove to be too long. Maneuverability is a real necessity, when pulling it through the woods shorter is better.

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-07-06          131779

It says that shipping weight is 650 lbs. They should be able to drop it on your Ranger. You should then be able to lift it off with the JD. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-06          131781

If it's assembled it might not fit in the bed of the ranger. It was a pain getting the log splitter in that bed and the trailer seems quite a bit bigger. I'll have to see how it comes. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-06          131783

Ken,

Have you checked to see how closed a Northern Tool store is to you? They do have them.

I am totally guessing on something you brought up and would also appreciate what you asked being answered, it is my impression the tires may be limited to the max speed but I think that is done by the manf. to put the liability for using it on the road totally on YOU. The price of liability insurance for the manf. I am sure is much higher for a trailer for highway use than an off road trailer and thus the off road can be sold for less. Also it may not have brakes or such for off road that on highway uses calls for.

Of course you can put the off road trailer on an highway use trailer and pull it home that way. Or you can take that hour drive with your tractor and make a good day out of it and keep the speed safe. LOL ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-06          131786

KT, the nearest Northern Tool is several states away. Maybe the Wilco store will deliver it. It's no fun driving the tractor at 18 mph on a busy 55 mph two lane road :) Renting an on-road trailer is always an option. Anyway, that's an easily solvable problem.

You're probably right about the tires being the limiting factor. They look like off-road ATV tires and may not be rated for highway use at all.

The newest Northern Tool catalog arrived today and it seems to have some other dump trailer options that are less expensive. Some would require the addition of a 24" cylinder for dumping but that shouldn't be too hard since they're supposed to be already setup for the cylinder. I'll check out the specs on those later tonight when I've got a bit more time. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-06          131787

Ken,

Have you checked out the ad showing dump trailers below this thread. I don't think they are as heavy as the KK one is but neither is the price. It would depend on your needs. Another thought, there are a couple of local manf. of this type of trailer here. Could be there. The best place I know to ask is the construction industry as they use them here to replace small dump trucks for construction waste mainly.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-06          131788

Living in the sticks I've gotten into the bad habit of shopping for everything online. I'll have to crack open the yellow pages to see if there is a local trailer manufacturer that makes them. For the price of a $2k dump trailer I'm tempted to spend more and get a used utility vehicle with a dump bed. It won't carry as much but it would be much more maneuverable and would give my wife a nice way to drive the trails we are building. She's a city gal who doesn't like to drive the tractor. Just thinking out loud I guess. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-07          131805

Ken,

My wife's toy is a JD Gator. She uses it probably 2 or 3 afternoons a week and then Saturday. It could become so propular with your wife, you still need a trailer. LOL

To My wife the tractor is a work tool, but the Gator is more her for yard and running to neighbor's and such. Not much of a soft ground vechicle. Ground clearance is not as high as you might think either.

The JD brand was her idea, she wanted GREEN, I liked some others better for their roll bar, larger engine and suspension. Some of these were rated so they were classed as farm use and some as off road use. That was one advantage the Gator had in our state, it is legal on the road where the faster brands were considered only off road so running on our rural roads would have been illegal.

I think now three are three different sizes. The four wheel model with the ATV type tires doesn't leave any footprint on our lawn.

Do wish you well with your hunt and decision. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-07-07          131811

Ken, now that you're thinking of a used utility vehicle with a dump bed, think about one of these. I found a nice runner for $2K.

Link:   M35

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-07-07          131812

To get it to dump, you'll need to modify it somewhat with what's on the link below:

Your wife would love it too. I've found through the years that women love to have stuff like this in the yard.
Dave

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-07          131815

LOL Dave, that's a pretty cool machine for $2k but it's a little big to take slaloming through the woods. Sometimes it seems a CUT is a little too big! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-07-07          131816

When I found it at a place that sells army surplus equipment I was really hot to buy it for about a week. Then I came to my senses and realized I didn't have enough work for it on the farm. It would still be cool to have though.
Dave ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-07          131822

The latest Northern Tool catalog lists this Farm Tuff dump trailer. A little smaller than the KK but it's only $650 vs. $1900 and rated for 500 lbs more weight. It doesn't come with hydraulics. I asked Northern about that and they claim it's ready to dump with the addition of a 24" stroke hydraulic cylinder. Shipping is $200 to our door so combined it's about half the KK price.

After getting it here I'd have to figure out how to deal with the pin hitch since everything else here is a 2" ball. Also, need to add the hydraulics and figure out how to deal with the tractor hydraulics that are already used by the TnT kit. After all that time, labor and expense maybe the KK is looking more reasonable. ....

Link:   Farm Tuff Dump Trailer

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-07-07          131823

Ken:
You should be able to use a 2" square receiver hitch that normally accepts a ball having a 3/4" threaded shank. Use it without a hitch ball and you should be able to drop a 3/4" diameter hitch pin in it with hairpin. You can use your BR 3 point receiver hitch since it has a safety chain to counter the affects of negative tongue weight. That way you can raise the tongue to the desired level position while having the ability to maneuver well. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-07          131825

Thanks yooper. The hitch sounds cheap and easy to deal with. On the hydraulics I'm wondering if there is a simple electric pump I could rig up to drive the hydraulic cylinder. It doesn't have to be fast - a minute or so to cycle the dump would be fine. The sort of thing a Tommy Lift style liftgate might use.

Edit: Heck, for that matter a manual pump would probably be just fine too. Didn't see one in the Northern catalog. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-07-07          131827

Harbor Freight sells some inexpensive long stroke hydraulic jacks. Another way is to have a pivoting pole with a pulley on the top. You can mount it on the tongue and fold it up when not in use. You can get a hand operated cable winch from Harbor Freight also. Another possibility is an electric over oil pump like used on larger dump trailers to run a cylinder. That however would be the most expensive route. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-07          131829

I could run it off the power beyond ports too. On those ports I think you need to keep oil circulating so I'm not sure how to hook a cylinder and control valve up to the PB ports without damaging anything. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-07          131837

Ken,

I have seen the electric motor pump combo used on dump trailers built around here with a battery in boat battery box also mounted on the trailer for power source. I have seen those units I think in Northern Tools Catalog but may be off on it being their Catalog.

Dave,

Why would you have to have enough farm work to justify it? It it not road rated? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-19          132369

Ken....

Did you ever decide on trailer?

Here are some other thoughts and options:

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-19          132370

Also:

www.carryontrailer.com/product/CARRY_HAULER.htm

And

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315495_200315495 ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-19          132371

A bit more:

http://www.polarsport.com/atv_trailers.html

According to the web site, they sell these things at GI Joe's, right down the road from you. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-19          132372

Mark, thanks for the links. I'm still wrestling with indecision. The Polaris unit at GI Joes seemed a little small. The 3-point unit looks similar to the Mity Dump I was considering (link below) but the Mity Dump has skids which may be helpful. At this point I'm leaning toward the Farm Tuff trailer from Northern. It would probably be $1200 after shipping and adding the hydraulics. I was about ready to pull the trigger on that one when I drove by a trailer store that had a dump unit on display. I was in a rush and haven't yet had a chance to go back and look at it. ....

Link:   Mity Dump

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-19          132375

I found the Polaris in two sizes on the web page. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-19          132390

Thanks, Mark. The Polaris HPD-2000 might do the job. I've sent them email to see if they have a local stocking dealer where I might look at one. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-19          132395

I've gotta say that Kody at Polaris Sport is right on top of customer service. He answered my questions quickly. Here's some additional info on the HDP-2000 dump trailer he provided.

- There is no dealer that stocks the trailer so no pre-sale examination is possible. It really sounds like they drop-ship them when ordered.

- The dump feature only operates off the battery (not included by manufacturer). There is no provision for operating it off a smaller source like a trailer connector.

- Only a 1 7/8" coupler is available at this time but it sounded like they were working on a 2" that isn't ready yet.

- It doesn't have a tailgate

- MSRP is $1654.53. At this time need to order through Northern or DR. I checked DR and they sell it for $1299 including the dump battery and will ship it for an estimated $99. Northern will sell it shipped w/o battery to Oregon for $1326.

For my use it seems this model has some downsides. I'd like to be able to control the dump while driving forward and this would mean extending the control switch. Charging the battery between uses seems like a pain (it would be easier to use the tractor hydraulics and eliminate the battery while providing dump control from the seat). Lastly, maybe I'm wrong on this but it seems an adjustable tailgate of some sort would be useful to control the spreading of material. The Farm Tuff trailer from Northern doesn't have an adjustable tailgate, but it has a wooden one which would make it easy to modify. A plastic dump body isn't very easy to modify. But the Polaris would be a turnkey solution at a pretty good price. Decisions, decisions. ....

Link:   Polaris dump trailer at DR Power Equipment

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-21          132493

I've decided to go for the Farm Tuff dump trailer from Northern. I figure after shipping and adding the hydraulics it will be about $1k total. The price is right, the size is right and it shouldn't be too hard to add the hydraulics. I've got some hydraulics questions but will start another thread for those. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-04          132980

The dump trailer from Northern arrived today. For some reason most everything I buy from them has a problem. The packaging was pathetic - parts falling off the pallet and no assembly instructions to be found. Lots of loose parts were rolling around in the back of the delivery truck and a quick inventory shows that some hardware is missing. Hopefully it's just the small stuff that I can buy at the hardware store. Yeesh. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-08-04          132982

I hope they make it right.... Did you think about refusing the shipment? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-04          132986

I thought about refusing the shipment but it looked like the major parts were all there and nothing is damaged. Maybe just a few bolts and nuts are missing. After looking at it I should be able to get it together without instructions. It might take a trip or two to the hardware store to get all the parts. I will write Northern to complain once I get a better handle on the problems. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-08-05          132994

I bought a $2K generator from northerntools with no problems, the box was in immaculate shape. Also bought my spot sprayer from them with no problems. I think the trucker who delivers your stuff is most important but not something you can control.

I once had a utility trailer shipped to me and it was just in the back of the truck banging around loosely with dented fenders when it arrived. I did get quite a bit of money back on that deal. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-05          132998

I bought a generator from Northern too. It was backordered when the order was placed. When it finally came the packaging was fine but they charged my credit card ~$500 more than the total price on my printed copy of the order summary. I complained and they said "price increase, outside our control". When I started complaining loudly in some of the online news groups, a Northern rep called to apologize and they credited my card. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-05          133008

The trailer is assembled. Took about three hours, one trip to the store and $4 worth of bolts, nuts and washers. Not a bad little trailer. A little minor reengineering was required but she's ready to go. Just need to order the hydraulics now. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login