Go Bottom Go Bottom

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-13          122695

I not the Brightest bulb in the light, so I'll ask an odd question: is there anyway you can tell the axle capacity on a trailer? The title doesn't tell, and I'm wondering if there is a way to tell!
Any help out there?
Bob J

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Question on axles

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-13          122697

Assuming someone didn't make it in their garage, there should be a VIN plate attached the the frame.

Along with the VIN there should be a Gross Vehicle Weight number that will give you a clue.

Lacking all the above, you can get a pretty good idea what the axles are rated at by the size of the bearings. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-13          122700

You can also get an idea buy the axel construction. There are only a few manufactures and most trailer companies buy them from them. If you look at the standard axels you can problably match them pretty close. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2006-01-13          122708

here is a simple way but not nessarily accrate
4 wheel lug nut/ bolt rims (single) = 2,000 lbs
5 wheel lug nut/ bolt rims (single) = 3,000 lbs
5 wheel lug nut/ bolt rims (tandem) =7,000/8,000 lbs
6 wheel lug nut/ bolt rims (tandem) =9,000/10,000 lbs
8 wheel lug nut/ bolt rims (tandem) =10,000/14,000 lbs
of course the trailer in question is not going to be rated to haul the loads if the TIRES are not rated to use it at the capacity. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-13          122711

They are dual axle 5 lug 15" wheels new tires (General) load rating 1835 lbs! I want to use to haul a JD 4110 with 6o"MM and FEL, 650lb rear weights,16ft treated 2x6 floor, brakes on both axles actually 13.5 ft with 2.5 dove tail and hinged ramps.
Bob ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-13          122713

I have a similar trailer and the trailer capacity is 6000 lbs. You should not be near that with the tractor. I would make sure you have proper tires. The tires need to be load rated not just car tires. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-13          122715

Good chance that's a 7500# suspension with the wrong tires. I'm guessing you have 205/70 or 75 mounted. If it had 215 or 225 tires you'd probably be able to carry the suspension's rated load. Wouldn't hurt to inspect the axles themselves for tags/labels. They're ordinarily put there by the manufacturer.

The rating by the way, includes the weight of the trailer. The four tires are rated at a combined 7340#. Subtract the weight of the trailer - let's say a ton - which means you can carry 5340 pouhds.

//greg// ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-14          122735

The tires are 215/70 15". I hate to have to buy new tires, but if necessary I will. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-14          122736

Yeah, there are 205s that are are suitable for a pair of 3500# axles, but your tires are almost certainly for automotive applications. Don't think I've ever seen a 70 series for trailers. Trailer tires usually have a 75 or 78 or 80 profile, and often begin with the letters ST; like ST205/75D15 (typically rated 2150# each).

//greg// ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-14          122737

I tried a friend's 225 tires and if I remember they were to tall for the fenders. I have a new set of S10 mags and tires on it, but I can always put larger tires on and have the fenders raised. It's only money? The guy that owned it hauled a pickup truck on it with 215's on it. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-14          122746

Load bearing trailer tires are important. You will find the car tires will last for a time and carry loads short distances but if you carry large weights long distances the temperature will build up and the tires will break down. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
oneace

2006-01-14          122777

Get them filled with nitrogen. Any good tire dealer will have a nitrogen filling capacities. I have been filling every tire I have with it. Along with company vehicles. Works really well with over the road trucks and trailers. They are seaming to last much longer. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-15          122794

Would the nitrogen keep the tires cooler or what? The problem I have is I want to make sure the trailer will be ok for a 200 mile or more trip! I don't plan on ever pulling that far but I would want it to be safe for me to use under these conditions.
Thanks ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-15          122797

If a tire over heats the air pressure in the tire can increase contributing to the blow out. Nitrogen does not transfer the heat as easily. This is the same as filling a dual pane window with Argon or Nitrogen.
This does not overcome a poorly designed tire, not built to carry weight. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-01-15          122812

Inflate the tires to their max rated pressure for max load (shown on the carcass of the tire) load up the trailer and go. Stop and check the tempreture of the bearings and tires after 5-6 miles at highway speed. Then stop and do this every 50 miles or so.

Your setup is nearly the as what my trailer is. It'll work fine. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
Murf

2006-01-16          122836

Even if passenger car (metric designation PXXX/XX/15) or light truck tires (designated LTXXX/XX/15) were capable of carrying the load, they wont work well on a trailer.

A true trailer tire (designated STXXX/XX/15, ST means Special Trailer) has MUCH stiffer sidewalls than 'regular' tires do, the difference in the way a trailer will ride on them is huge. Passenger car tires will make it bounce and wobble and will allow too much side-roll in a hard corner. Remember, trailers don't have shock absorbers to reduce the bounce.

Best of luck. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-16          122839

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I'll get some tires rated for a Trailer. (thanks Murf) Murf how are the Canadians coming along with their oil recovery (from sand) sounds like you guys are a way ahead of us on the oil situation! ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
Murf

2006-01-16          122844

Hey, you maen somebody outside of the oil business and / or Cannuckistan knows about our oil sands, cool!!! LOL

As of last year the oil sands project now accounts for more than half of all of canada's oil production, and a staggering 10+% of all oil production for North America!!

There is some controversy over it still though. The process being used is only recovering about 75% of the oil in the sands.

Best of luck. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-16          122867

I called the Trailer Manufacture (M&M) and the said the trailer should have ST205/75R15 6 ply tires on it. The carrying capacity would be 5500lbs. He felt the tires I had would be OK. I ordered the 6ply tires today as I'm to darned old to be sitting along the road changing a darn tire!
I guess the 5500lb capacity should be ok! ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-17          122881

Bob... is 5500 the Gross or Net capacity of the trailer?

Which stuff from your list will be on your 4110 when you are towing? ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-17          122882

Assuming the typical pair of 3500# axles (7000# gross) on a commercially-built trailer, I think 5500# would have to be net. The ST205/75-15 six-ply rating is usually 1820# each; total 7280# total. Since the axle rating is less than the combined tire rating, subtracting 5500" from 7000# axle gross accounts for a trailer weighing up to 1500#.

I guess the next question would be, radial or bias ? Personally, I'd get bias.

//greg// ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-17          122885

I would at the most only be pulling tractor to dealer for Maint. Otherwise I would have FEL Plus 60"mm.
The tires I was going to order are Radials. Why the Bias tires over radial? ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-17          122886

I forgot to post the net hauling rate is 5500lbs as the trailer weighs in at 1600lbs and gross capacity is 7000lbs according to the manufacture. I was told that.(I can take it to the scales and weigh it Am I wrong on the net weight?))
Bob ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-18          122946

Sounds just about right. That will be the perfect trailer for your 4110. You will find other uses for it too.

Now tell us about the truck you are going to tow all this with........ ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-18          122955

1996 Chev 1500 V8 ext. Cab 2wheel Drive, No pulling package ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-18          122958

Having previous experience towing with half ton General Motors products, there's a huge difference between the towing ability of the boulevard cruiser 305 and that of the workhorse 350. Given your estimated load, I wouldn't even consider using a 305 engined half ton ESPECIALLY one without a towing package. If you have the 350 and an automatic, do NOT tow in overdrive.

Radial tires are designed for "radial tuned" suspensions, built to flex more in the sidewalls. On a trailer with straight axles and leaf springs, you do NOT want sidewall flex. With radials on, you'll KNOW there's a trailer behind you. With bias ply, you might forget it's there.

/greg// ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-01-18          122964

Not everyone has to tow a maxed out trailer at 70 mph from Minnesota to Texas. That 305 with a receiver hitch will do just fine for short hops and that's what he's intending it for.
Dave ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-01-18          122969

I agree with Shortmagnum. Watch the temps and keep out of OD and you'll do fine. (Short hops) ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-18          122971

I'm really confused now! The tire dealer told me the bias tires bounce and the radials don't?( which I don't agree on that,what the consenses) He wants to put on a set of ST205/75/R15 8ply. You talk about confusing, Shoot I guess I might have to get a backpact and carry the darn thing.I ask for advice and I still need it,all I want is to be safe on the road!
Bob J ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-18          122975

I'd guess they both bounce but the radials will keep bouncing due to the rebound effect from additional sidewall flex. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-18          122977

I called the Dealer about Bias tires and he doesn't carry them! Makes me wonder if he really knows what he is talking about? ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-01-18          122982

Do any new 7K lb trailers come with bias ply? I know mine didn't (TexMex brand). It came with 1800 lb max weight radials and doesn't bounce. I continually have to remind myself that it's back there.
Dave ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-18          122983

That explains why the dealer is pushing radials. That said, the radials will run cooler and should last longer. As a former tire dealer I think too much is being made of the issue and that either would be fine. But as someone who doesn't tow, maybe I'm wrong. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-18          122986

Now that I've bugged everyone to death, how about the 6ply vs 8ply as from one dealer I can get the 8ply as cheap as the other dealer wants for the 6ply, both are radials. ( aren't you guys getting tired of the Old Man and all his questions?)
Bob J ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-18          122987

The 8-ply should have a higher load carrying rating, and will run hotter and have a shorter life. Trailer tires often dry-rot before they wear out, though, because they aren't usually driven as many miles as a car or truck. If the 6-ply will carry the weight they'd be fine, but for the same price I'd go with 8-ply. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-18          122988

I have never seen anything a bias ply tire can do better than a radial. I would go with the radials.

I also think that radials will bounce a lot less than a bias ply based on the fact that the belt holds the tread flat to the driving surface. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2006-01-18          122993

This may have been addressed in the past posts, but may also be appropriate for this tire discussion.

One misconception I find that many people have with tires, is they read the sidewall of the tire and see maximum pressure and maximum load and assume that they should inflate the tire to that maximum pressure. This is true if that tire is expected to see that maximum load. But, in many cases the actual load is considerably less and, because of this, the air pressure should be adjusted in accordance with manufacturer's chart. All tire manufacturers have load verses inflation tables that should be used to determine the proper inflation.

If you over-inflate, which most people tent to do, the trailer will ride like it is on "Flintstone" wheels. In addition, the contact patch is less, the tires wear excessively in the center, and the braking capacity is diminished. Under-inflation is just a bad. ....

Link:   Sample Load vs. Inflation Chart

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-19          123043

I called Carlisle Tire Co. today and talked to one of their Engineers(probably sanitation engineer} and he said for trips 200 miles or less use Bias, on extended trips use Radials? He also said the Trailer would pull better(Stable less bounce with bias) Better gas mileage with Radials, and longer life span on tires! I'll bet hes never pulled a Trailer!

Question on axles

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-19          123047

Another not the brightest bulb here.

Radials don't bounce? Boy tell my BFG's that.

As to bias tires not doing anything as well as a radial. Do you remember the good old days when you rotated tires from side to side and front to rear and got good wear with all.

Question on axles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-01-19          123051

"Do you remember the good old days when you rotated tires from side to side and front to rear and got good wear with all."

I remember... if 30K miles can be considered "good wear." :)
Dave ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-19          123052

That is not what I said.

I said I think they would bounce LESS due to the inherent belt design.

I have towed trailers many thousands of miles on both types of tires. Radials track better, run cooler, pull easier and yes, bounce less. ....

Question on axles

View my Photos
jonesiera

2006-01-20          123091

OK I'll confess I went with Radials and I think I made the right choice. I really thank you guys for helping me out. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login