Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet sizes arent true sizes-23 x 9 5 -12 smaller than other Mfg s

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-13          63773

This next question possibly Art would know right away.
The stock 2 ply tire on a 3204 series, is not a true 23 x 9.5 -12. Its on the small size for sure, and not durable.
I just received and mounted Carlisle Turf masters 4 ply
which are the stock size of 23 x 9.5- 12. Its night and day a bigger & better tire even though I stayed with the stock size. Now clearence around the wheel wheel is a lot less,
and now I'm not sure when i receive my winter chains, they will have enough room. Just when you think you thought of everything..

I question that Cub should have factored in since their 23 x 9.5-12 is not a true size, is when the owner needs a new tire and since, they should have made the wheel large enough. I cant see how lugs would work as well...

Does anybody have carlisle Turf masters (23 x 9.5-12) and chains setup on their Cub 3204 ? ( the odds on this as rare I'm sure)

Always a new problem to resolve,

Ducati996

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-14          63826

It happens all the time. He who builds the cheapest gets the bid! If the tires are smaller then they can sell them cheaper. We find it from the big farm tractors down to the wagon tires. I do believe the chains should still fit as they use a biggter size on the 3235 chassis and they clear. You probably just gained a mess of traction with the taller tires although it might not be quite so resposive. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-09-14          63831

Hi Art,
I had no choice the 2 plys went flat (as I predicted) on me
3 times already. I knew 4ply's were the step I was taking.

FYI regarding the actual tire size on Cubs 23 x 9.5 is that its only 20.5 " approx. The Carlisles Turf master is 23.5" approx. I'm curious as to the actual diameter 2 or 4 ply tire for the 3235 (which is listed 24x10.5) and what it actually is.
I bet its nowhere close to a 24" tire, hence the extra room in the wheel well. And i would speculate carlisles Turf master 24 x 10.5 is even bigger than 24" diam.

My Issue with Cub would be, eventually tires wear out. And Cubs version of tires may not be available. If someone stick's to the specified tire size, they should be ok right?? well as I found out- NO !!

Thanks again,

Ducati996

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-14          63871

I'll take a look at some at the shop on Monday. I don't believe you should have a problem with the chains. Tires often don't match the dimensions they should to scale.
from make to make I've often seen it.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-15          63911

The larger size tires do come closer to the wheels but there is still room for chains there. I don't think you will have to much for problems. I sometimes run into tire inflation problems as my favorite preesure for these tires seems to be about four lbs. This doesn't hold the beads well without tubes. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-09-15          63933

Thank you for taking the time Art !! I will try it both ways(will take me a few weeks to resolve)
and try to update those who are interested. I now dont mind experimenting, and it could help others overall.
They are real nice tires, make the machine feel bigger, and it adds cutting height as well. No regrets regardless of what happens with room for chains...

Ducati996 ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-10-06          65687

Hello all,

FYI,
Just an update regarding my tire selection above. Carisle tire offers two turf tires that are 4 ply version for Cubs 23 x 9.5-12. By pure chance I selected the Turf master which is on the larger side of the 23 x 9.5-12 side. Actual is 23.6 x 9.8, and most likely will give me a problem when my chains come in ( I'm not 100 % if I have clearance or not-I'm still waiting on the sets to experiment to see if it fits)..

For those who want better tires and to use Chains in the winter the model Carlisle tire is called "multi trac" and its diameter is 22.7 which will give you enough room for chains.
I really like the tires because they naturally clean themselves over Cubs turf pro's ( the mud falls off quicker). They can handle a much higher weight load and PSI, and can handle twigs, rocks etc much, much better. I cant spin the wheels at all practically (without really abusing the hydro), and it gives additional deck cutting height (almost 1 3/4 in my case-Turf master)
I recommend to all getting Carlisle tire's over the Cubs turf Pro. Just be carefull on the choice between Turf master & Muli trac. You will be happy you did..
They really arent expensive as well...

Ducati996 ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-11-06          68153

Another update with some good news: My chains cleared the wheel wells. Its close but it will work!!! I got lucky...
So overall the tire upgrade was a complete success!!
Hope this helps someone with a 3204..

Ducati996 ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login