Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire Sealent- Does it Work

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56301

I keep getting flats on my front tires here are only two tire options on the 2210 and I have the turfs. I considered the bar tires for the woods but they are only four ply as well as the bars. Many thanx to all who suggested I stick with the turfs as they have worked out great. I see at the tractor supply company that they have some green goo. I guess you remove the valve stem and poor this stuff in. It is supposed to seal small leaks. Does any one use this stuff or any product like it ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56306

Doc, I think you're talking about Slime? I've never used it but know people who have. They all say it works great. ....

View my Photos
slowrev
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-02          56314

The slime stuff sold a TSC works pretty well. However there are more grades of the stuff that work better. Also I am not sure if the stuff works below freezing. Gemplers.com has some good grades of the stuff and some info.

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56319

I have used the sealer before on motorcycle and other tires and it seems to work well. The only thing that I use it in now is my wheel barrow, which for some reason seems to find every cactus spine that is around.

I have noticed that if a tire with a puncture sits for a few months not covered by the slime that it might start to have a slow leak. Once the tire is rotating and the liquid slime coats the area, the leak will stop again. Before using the slime I would have a flat on my wheel barrow nearly every time I wanted to use it. I have not had a flat on it in over a year with the slime. I don't know what brand I used, but it was available at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I have R4 tires on my tractor, and for some reason I have not had any problems with the cactus. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-03          56425

I picked up a nail in a front turf tire on the highway a couple of years ago. I don't know if it was my clumsy tubeless plug work or that it was pretty cold but there was some air seepage around the plug. I had to use the tractor so I used some of this aerosol emergency tire inflater/sealer stuff. The tire has been OK for about two years and it does sit for weeks without use sometimes. I don't know if it's the sealer working or if the plug finally conformed to the puncture, but it worked for what ever reason.

I noticed the can says to have the tire repaired as soon as possible and advise the tire shop that the product was used. Never got around to doing that. I still don't know if there's any particular reason to clean out the tire after using the stuff.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-06-03          56428

I have used the same stuff Tom used on a tractor Turf tire with some success also, and I also did not follow the instructions as to getting it repaired asap, its been fine now for a year, where before I was pumping it up every other week.

I think the reason you need to tell your Tire merchant is so that they know not to just pull the Tire valve and let the chemicals blast out in their face, and that the chemicals may also be flammable!

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56431

I have one front tire that refuses to stay inflated...even after being kicked several times. The leak is so small I cant find it. I have already resorted to carrying a spare front tire and rim. I guess I am going to try the green goo from TSC. At least its the right color if it blows up later ! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56919

If you are going to run tire sealing compound in the tire; I suggest you tube the tire first to avoid the huge mess if you ever have to take the tire off the rim for repair. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-06          56925

Doc that green stuff you refer to is call slim around here and it is a great produce. I have it in all my quad tires and haven't had to mess them since installed. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56927

Chief, I agree. The slime is water based and it will corrode a rim if it is not contained in a tube. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-06          56932

wasen't thinking about corroed problem when i put it in a few years back. so far no problems yet, I would really like to get the big 27 incher kit they have so hopefuly they will rot soon. LOL I'll keep that in mind when i get new ones. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-06          56935

A dumb question, but I would assume that the slime won't work with calcium loaded tires, right? I used to work in a tire shop (no tractor tires though) and we always hated it when a slimed tire came in. A real mess to deal with.

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56938

I am not really concerened about the corosion in my case. My front tires are so small a rim And tire are only about a hundred bucks. I would think the tubes would be a great idea on larger tires but it still seems like after a puncture you would have slime between the tube and the tire. Besides at $10 a repair they can get slimed. lol. Hopefully I wont have to take a tire off a rim again untill it needs to be replaced. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56939

Slime will not work in Calcium loaded tires.

Plots, I have never seen a rim rust through because of the slime, but they will get rusty on the inside. If they are well painted, you may have to wait a while for those new 27s. If you want to check, let some air out of the tire and if it the slime that comes out is rusty, you will know. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login