Go Bottom Go Bottom

How do quot loaded quot tires affect ride

View my Photos
Keith
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-09          4888

I bought my '81 JD 750 last february, with both rear tires filled with water/antifreeze. The tractor does not ride as comfortable as my back would like for it to. Since I only know how the tractor rides with them filled, I can only guess how it would ride if the tires were not loaded. I know it won't ever be like a truck ride, but I think it can be improved a little bit. Can anyone tell me if I take the fluid out, about how much better it would ride over rough terrain? My seat is also part of the problem. It's not the original seat, but rather a seat from some other brand of riding equipment. I may look at replacing that, if it might help some. My father-in-laws place consists of about 70 acres, half pasture and half wooded. That means a lot of riding, although as soon as he gets his bushog fixed we can use his JD 5200. That is a cadillac riding machine!! Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mike

1999-06-09          4894

Keith, Draining your tires will make your tractor unstable. If you do loader work or have hilly terrain I would keep them filled and forget about the ride. Maybe a good shock-absorbing seat would help. If you do alot of finish mowing and only need weight sometimes you could drain the tires and build a weight-box for the 3-point when need some stability. This is kind of a give and take issue. ....

View my Photos
Keith

1999-06-09          4899

Mike, thanks for the comments. To elaborate a little more, my tractor does NOT have a loader so I do not need the loaded tires for that express purpose. I do NOT use my tractor for lots of tilling, where the extra loaded weight in the tires helps in poor traction types of soil. However, I do operate it in rough, hilly terrain. I did not consider the loaded tire weight giving the tractor a little more stability, so maybe I should nix the idea of draining them. I can make the seat a little more comfortable, so I should probably look at that. Anymore comments? Thanks!Keith ....

View my Photos
Vince

1999-06-09          4902

Keith,You might want to check how full your tires are. If they are completely filled there is no room for flex in the tire as the "fill" has nowhere to go thus making a very hard tire and ride. The tires should be about 3/4 full to allow flex when hitting something...the "fill" has somewhere to go thus allowing the tire to flex, and in theory at least a smoother ride. You can place the valve stem in various upright postions to check the level of the "fill". You may also adjust air pressure. Hope you get comfortable!Vince ....

View my Photos
MChalkley

1999-06-09          4905

I would be very cautious about draining them completely unless you have experience with the tractor or one similar on your terrain. One thing that might help a lot is to keep them half full, certainly no more than 3/4, as another poster said. If water comes out with the stem at the 12 o'clock position, there's your problem. Try jacking it up in the center until both rear wheels are off the ground, putting the stems at about 11 or 1 o'clock, or even 10 or 2, then draining whatever water water will come out. Then repressurize the tire to the minimum it needs to support the maximum load you're carrying. Contact a local dealer or the manufacturer of the tire for a load/pressure table, then figure out what the maximum rear axle weight will be including the heaviest implement you carry, devide by two, and pressurize the tire for that load. That's about the best you'll be able to do on that end. Everything else you can do will have to be on the seat/suspension end. (Unless you need new tires and are willing to look at the additional expense of radials.) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login