Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire pressure guidance

View my Photos
evansgarr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-29          27358

My Firestone, Turf & Field, tires which came on my Cub model 7265, have no indications of proper pressure. The front tires are 25x8.50x14 and the rears are 13.6x16.If anyone can give me proper guidance I will greatly appreciate it.Kind Regards,Lou

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tire pressure guidance

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-30          27370

My Ford 1710 is equipped with Firestone T&F. A tire chart in the repair manual for 25x8.20x14, 2PR gives max loads for 8 & 10 lbs. pressures of 685 & 780 respectively. The 1710 uses the 15" tire. The rears are 13.6-16, 4PR, and the chart gives loads for 12 & 14 lbs. Those pressures are intended to give good tire performance for a tractor in turf type operations. I guess turf operations aren't supposed to carry much load, because 780 Lbs. per tire doesn't leave much room for loader loads. I think it's common to run front pressures higher than the maximums on load charts for loader equipped tractors, but I can't comment on safety issues. The charts do warn not to over-load or over-inflate. I know my 1710 came back from a dealer with about 20 lbs. in the front, which I reduced to 10 lbs. for winter for more traction. I probably stay at 10 lbs. unless I'm doing fairly heavy loader work, and then may increase to 16 lbs. I don't want to run higher pressures if I don't need them since that makes for a rough ride and increases front axle lead in 4wd. So, is 16 lbs. a safe pressure, and what loads could be carried? I really don't know. I do know that many load charts are speced at high speeds, and loads may be increased by about 1/3 at low speeds. I also know that I checked the Firestone Ag tire site, which is a good thing to do. Curiously, I could find load charts for the rear tires, but not for the fronts. The fronts are classified as garden tractor tires, so maybe max load isn't supposed to be an issue. The specs also indicated the fronts are a four-ply rated tire, while the chart in my manual is for 2 PR tires. Perhaps the new T&F are 4 PR rates, and may support more load than my 1710 factory originals. Anyway, my answer is that 10# front and 14# rear should be good pressures for general use. I boost the fronts for heavy loader work, but there may be a risk. Maybe an e-mail to the Firestone site would clarify the subject. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login