Go Bottom Go Bottom

plow with turfs

View my Photos
Brian Heskitt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-08          17025

I am looking at some used tractors and need to know if I should only look at units with ag tires. I have 5 acres to mow (I will probably plant tall fescue) - but I am not trying to produce golfcoarse quality turf. I also need to plow snow, grade a 200' gravel driveway, and on occasion pull a 2-bottom plow and small disk (once a year for a garden). Can I pull the plow with turf tires? If not, would adding chains make it work? My current top choice is a kubota L275, 4WD, turf tires. Thanks,brian

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

plow with turfs

View my Photos
J. Ross

2000-06-08          17026

We're also on the verge of buying a new/used tractor to cover 5 acres(mainly mowing, some snow plowing.) Currently own a John Deere which was bought new in 1986 and s in need of a new engine, and looking at the Kubota Deisels. Anyone have a recommendation as far as John Deere vs Kubota?
Rosco ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-08          17038

Why naturally, I'd have a recommendation as far as whether to buy a Kubota or a John Deere. Buy the Kubota, because that's what I have. Seriously, I think you should look at Kubota, John Deere, and New Holland. They're all good tractors. My personal preference is certainly Kubota, but I can see good reasons for some other folks to prefer one of the others. Find the one that "feels" best to you and that's what you'll be happiest with. ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-06-08          17039

Hi Brian, I am not sure how much help this will be but I recently pulled a relatively large disc and then a drag in wet hilly ground with my JD4100. It has turf tires. I have not pulled a plow with it but suspect I could. The turf tires did just fine until I got into areas where the ground was so wet that the pattern on the tread filled up with mud. I realize that working ground when it is that wet is not a good idea but we were pressed for time and were putting in feed plots at the hunting camp. I also pulled a 2 row corn planter without any problems. ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-06-09          17057

I think that R-4's are the best overall all purpose tire. I have them and so far there is enough traction to plow and do tough jobs with, but I also haven't experienced any turf damage. The down side to R-4's is they do give a stiffer ride. But if the tractor you're looking at comes with turfs, I think you could use it to plow with in 4wd. If you ever did have any traction problems, then using wheel weights and chains would probably make a big difference. The only real negative thing I've heard about turf tires is that they don't work well in brushy, forested or rocky conditions due to soft sidewalls being vulnerable to puncture. ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-09          17059

Maybe somebody else has direct experience using turfs for plowing. I did have some traction difficulty with turfs. I was pulling a 6' box scraper with the scarifiers down to the first notch on turf. Had to do a few things to reduce the pull required. The traction was OK after I got down to soil.

I suspect a plow used at an effective depth would require at least as much pull as a box scraper with minimum scarifiers, so there could be traction problems, especially if trying to plow on turf. However, any traction problems probably are manageable if the job is a small garden plot once a year. Various things can be done to reduce the pull required and to increase traction.

I hear that turfs are better than R1's on ice. Chains on either are an option. My turfs without chains worked fine for loader and snowblower work on frozen gravel. However, I think there would have been a traction problem for serious plowing. I think I'll go with industrials when I need tires--especially since I decided to stick with riding mowers for the lawns. Seems like a good compromise. Suppose I'll have to get a kidney belt for road travel. They do ride rough I hear.

plow with turfs

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-06-09          17063

I've had a JD 755 with turfs & a 1-14 plow. It was all it wanted at times, all ways had the loader on for weight & manual draft control,it worked for small area's, If the ground is loose on top it won't get enough traction. I don't know what kind of tractor your useing. A 755 is 20hp and about 1900LBS w/o loader,it had plenty of power for this task-R4s make a BIG difference. My 2 cents ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-06-09          17068

like Bird, I would recommend a Kubota but only because that's what I spend most of my time sitting on. I have no problems with the other colors (I have a JD 820 and a MF 270 at the farm). It's like a suit, try it on and if it fits , but it but don't underestimate the impact the dealer can have. Mine convinced me to get R4's instead of turfs when he found out what I was going to be doing with it and I have never regretted it. I'm convinced that I would have never been able to mow my hilly pasture without them and they have never done any damage to speak of to the lawn. They are stiffer and rougher riding though and I probably go a little slower because of that but I've not had the puncture problems I'd occasionally get with turfs either. It's a trade off. ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
J. Ross

2000-06-20          17338

Many thanks for your inputs and suggestions. We went with Kubota, and so far, just Love it! My 8 year old son,of course, thinks it's his... :)
Thanks again
Julie ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-06-20          17351

Julie, why was your 1986 JD in need of a new engine? Seems kinda soon or was it used in a business? ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
J. Ross

2000-07-02          17614

Klay,
We were really impressed with the JD when we first got it. However, It spent alot of time in the shop. Over the past 3 years we had put about $1500 into repairs (hydraulic leaks, transmission....etc, etc.)And recently it blew a piston. We had only used it to mow 5 acres, and it was garaged in the winter months and was very well taken care of. Sometimes, I think, theres just a "bad apple" in the bunch, and this one was it. ....

plow with turfs

View my Photos
RegL

2000-07-02          17615

Probably a dum question,but are r-4's also rougher riding than ag tires?I'm currently running ag tires and though i don't mow lawns with the tractor,i do have to cross people's lawns to get to the work and with the wet spring and summer we are having this year,the ags can really make some marks.Anyway the reason for my origanal question is that i drive the tractor to the jobs which are usually within 2 miles,so i don't have to go out and buy a trailer,and i would be interested in how the r-4 compares to ag on the road.Thanks. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login