Go Bottom Go Bottom

Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner Tool

View my Photos
Mikef54
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-02          101447

Just got new tire chains for the 4310. They came with the HD spring tensioners. I am used to the rubber bungi with hooks style. Am having hard time installing the new tensioners due to shoulder injuries. Anyone know if there is a tool to assist with installation? I'm thinking of something on the idea of a load binder, but not quite as heavy duty. Any ideas???
Mike.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-02          101448

How about an air chuck and a jack?

Jack the tire off the ground and deflate it, put on the chain and inflate the tire again, as it fills it will grow and the chains will tighten.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-02          101449

According to his bio, he has turf tires so Murf's trick should work. I wonder if it would work with R-4's though.

BTW, my spell checker keeps wanting to change "Murf's" to "Muff's". Hmmmm...... ....

View my Photos
Mikef54

2004-12-02          101450

Sorry folks, I wasn't clear enough, The problem isn't with putting the chains on. That is done(Man they're heavy!! 41" tire each double link ladder chain weighs about 80 lbs.!!!!) and they fit nice. The problem I am having is with the spring tensioner that mounts outside the wheel and pulls the chain taut from six points onthe chain.
Thanks. Mike. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-02          101455

I think Muff is saying that you can deflate the tire, tighten the chains up a notch or two, and re-inflate the tire to get a tight fit and forget the chain tensioner ....

View my Photos
Mikef54

2004-12-02          101456

Thanks Drankin, I knew what he was saying, that's how I always put the chains on my old 755. I've ben told that it can be dangerous to do that, but I never had a problem. Iwould really like to use the tensioners as I beleive that they keep the chains tight in different temperatures. The tractor is kept in a heated garage, and then used for several hours outside in the cold. The tires aren't like that of a car where road friction heats them up, at least I haven't been able to snowblow at 60 MPH yet:)
Thanks everyone! Mike.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-02          101457

Is there any reason why rubber tensioners wouldn't work with those chains? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-12-03          101483

I have used the rubber tensioners for years with little problems other than they wear out in about 10 years or so then I have to spend another 5-8 bucks for new ones. ....

View my Photos
Mikef54

2004-12-03          101488

Morning All, Yes rubber tensioners should work,if, I can get some heavy duty ones. The ones I used on my old tractor were at the limit with the chains they were being used with 23" tires if I recall. These new chains are I believe, heavier in thickness (diameter of chain) and definitely heavier because of length. So the tensioners will have to be heavy duty. I think there may be some HD rubber tensioners somewhere. Any truckers out there ever use rubber tensioners? Oh well, the bigger the toy the more the associated gear weighs-but- the bigger smile is worth it!!!
Anyway, thinking about it I came up with an idea that I just tried, and seems that will work just fine. I used a pair of brake scissors(or pliers) used for attaching the retraction spring on drum brakes (remember them?):) Just grab the hook end of the spring and the link on the connector chain, and bingo there ya go!!!! I just tried one and it looks as if it will work just fine. I will get back to it later and see if any modifications are needed. Just another example of Yankee Ingenuity!!!!! Thanks guys. Mike,

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-07-26          113938

I use strips cut from an old car tire inner tube and a couple of links of chains on the ends for hooks as chain tighteners on the chains of my old BOLENS ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login