Go Bottom Go Bottom

First Time Tractor Owner Need Advice

View my Photos
John Pace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-16          6986

I have been lurking here about a week now. I have learned a great deal just reading the general posts. I am looking for advice on tractor size and implement use. We have purchased 40 acres of mostly wooded land. I have an 1100 foot gravel driveway I will need to maintain. Two sides are currently unfenced, it will be barb wire with large wooden ones for corners, hills etc... We will have a 100' by 200' garden this next year which will probably expand the year after. I will have various landscaping chores to accomplish (dirt removal for pole barn, turning about 2 acres of rough field into yard, and just general maintenance of land). I live in Marshfield, MO so I will have moderate snow to remove (Usually 12" or less). I "think" I need a compact tractor to accomplish this and have started the homework. I have looked at a Kubota B2100, with a LA301 loader, a Landpride 1560 Box blade, a Woods RM550 (60") finish mower, and possibly a Woods 1130 post hole digger. I have not yet looked at a specific tiller and would appreciate any suggestions you may have for one. Questions: (1) Am I headed in the right direction with the size and implements? (2) I was thinking finish mower because I have a DR Brush mower to do the first cleaning, sound ok? (3) With a loader and a box blade is snow removal possible? (4) Is the box blade good for road smoothing and leveling the land for the yard? (5) Are Woods and Landpride quality implements? Any help concerning this would be appreciated. If anyone has any suggestion concerning something I seem to have forgot, that too would be appreciated. Reply to the board or email, I will be reading the board for quiet a while. Thank you

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-08-16          6991

You don't list a rotary cutter so I presume the acreage you will regularly mow is small (since apparently that DR mower handles it). I can't address the snow issue since we hardly get any down here north of Dallas, nor do I know anything about Woods or Landpride implements other than I see them mentioned lovingly on this forum. With not much mowing to do, it would seem a compact tractor like the one mentioned would be fine. ....

View my Photos
Yanmar Owner

1999-08-17          6994

Size appears to be OK. Kubota, Landpride, Woods are all nearly top of the line (priced) and quality. Unless you get a lemon shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget a fertilizer spreader flor liming, fertilizing and seeding that new lawn and the garden in first. then again in second then...... years. I have been looking at http://www.Agri-Supply.com/catmain/2000000.htm for several implements, and they seem to have excellent prices for medium duty equipment. ....

View my Photos
John Pace

1999-08-17          6995

Alan,Currently the yard is about 1/2 acre. As I re-work the field (House sets on the edge of a clearing) the yard will expand to about 2 - 3 acres. How "fine" of a cut can I get with a rotary cutter? Where I am expanding the yard I am not looking for "golf course quality grass". I just want to get rid of the small brush, plant more grass, and keep it neat for the grandkid and dogs to play in. Would a rotary cutter instead of a finish mower serve me better in this situation? If it helps with the quality of cut, routine blade sharpening is not a problem. Thanks again..... ....

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

1999-08-17          6998

If you want a lawn for your grandkids and dogs to play in then you need a finish lawn mower ....

View my Photos
Keith

1999-08-17          7000

John, I currently have a 4 foot Landpride bushog (model 15-48) hanging off the back of my little JD 750. I was amazed at how well it can cut a level lawn, and the pastures. It cut just great with new blades, but even after dulling a bit it still cuts fairly good. In fact, it cuts as good my father-in-laws Toro or Ex-Mark finish mowers and looks just about as nice. Of course, the ground has been pretty hard lately due to no rain, so the ag tires have not been a problem. So, I think that if you consider getting a good four foot bushog, you can get just as good results as with a much more expensive finish cut mower IF you get your yard graded reasonably level. A five foot will not cut quite as nice since it won't be able to follow the yard contours as well. Good luck....Keith ....

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-08-17          7005

I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of cut from my rotary cutter (Rhino SE5 - 5'). No, it doesn't look like a golf course or even a well kept yard. But my field grass looks even and freshly cut.A finish mower is ONLY good for lawn grasses. Mine really sucks for coarse or tall weeds. However its cuts bermuda beautifully. The rotary cutter doesn't leave anything standing, including saplings and brush. I haven't sharpened mine since I got it and it still cuts fine. As a matter of fact it wasn't super sharp when I got it.I think bottom line is, if you want it to look like a freshly mown field, go for the rotary cutter, but if you want it to look like a lawn or golf course go for the finish mower. I have both and use both.My original plan was to mow my field a few times with the rotary cutter and then start mowing with the finish mower. I have decided to stick with the rotary cutter because I like the way the field looks, and I don't have to mow as often as it doesn't bog down on thick or tall grass. I use the finish mower only on what I have previously been mowing with a riding mower. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login