Go Bottom Go Bottom

24 inches behind the lift points

View my Photos
Joe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-03          6583

My tractor manual says it can lift 2000 lb 24" behind the lift points. Can someone give me a simple answer as to what this means?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-08-03          6586

The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Standard for comparing relative hitch lift capacity for Category I three point hitches specifies that the manufacturer provide the amount of weight that can be lifted when that weight is 24 inches behind the hitch points. Many typical implements have their centers of gravity in the vicinity of 24 inches or so behind the hitch points. If the tractor can lift "X" pounds at 24 inches, it can lift more if the implement center of gravity is closer (such as a typical box scraper) and less if the implement center of gravity is further back (such as a typical rotary cutter). ....

View my Photos
Ted

1999-08-04          6595

Joe:Here it is in "crayon".... the two lower arms of your 3pth hitch are 24" long, in a perfect world, your tractor is capable of lifting 2000 lbs. at the end of the arms. However, Murphy's Law being what it is, etc, the front of your tractor comes up first, or the relief valve for the hydraulics opens, or some such 'fertilizer' gets in there to screw up the system.Ted. ....

View my Photos
RickB.

1999-08-04          6606

Your crayon is on the wrong page. You are describing capacity at the lift point. The other poster has it right. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-08-04          6618

I believe that Jack has it right. ....

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-08-06          6672

Jack is definatly right.. That was a very good and correct explanation. ....

View my Photos
Ted

1999-08-07          6715

Rick:Sharpen your crayon............. Unless you have some REALLY different tractor, you have a total of SIX arms on your 3pth, the two small ones that come out of the diff. housing are the LIFT arms, these are connected to the tractor's hydraulics, then there are two drop arms that relay the power to the business end of the 3pth. So, the lift capacity is AT (or sometimes almost at) the pins that connect to your tractor. The 24" spec. is a standard by which all tractors can be judged equally. If you had a compact that could lift 2000#, 24" behind the end of the 3pth arms you would be doing well............... my M6040 can't................... ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-08-07          6717

Sir, With all due respect, you really don't have this right. I refer you to the Society of Automotive Engineers Standards for 3 point hitches on tractors. For Category I hitches and larger (II, III, etc.) as used on agricultural tractors that now go to hundreds of horsepower, the STANDARD requires reporting hitch lift capacity as the maximum weight "X" of an implement whose center of gravity 24 inches behind the hitch points that can be lifted and held in the highest position. For large agricultural tractors today this is usually in excess of 14,000 pounds. This capacity is also measured and reported in the Nebraska Tests of large agricultural tractors. For garden tractors with Cat 0 hitch the distance is 12 inches. For JD 4300 and 4400s, this capacity is 2200 pounds. For 4400s and 4500s it is 2500 pounds. ....

View my Photos
Ted

1999-08-08          6745

I think the standard you are speaking of is SAE Standard # J2708, titled "Agricultural Tractor Test Code", and I may be wrong, but, I think you will find that document speaks about "lift" points NOT "hitch" points. Take a trip to the library if you're so concerned.................. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-08-08          6749

Ted, Good suggestion about going to the library to check the details. 1999 SAE Handbook, Vol 3, Pgs 39.30 & 39.31. TEST PROCEDURE FOR MEASURING HYDRAULIC LIFT CAPACITY IN AGRICULTURAL TRACTORS EQUIPPED WITH THREE-POINT HITCH. SAE J283 June 93. Paragraph 4.2 (regarding the load applied to the test frame attached to the 3 point hitch connections) ...."The lift force application point shall be 610 mm (24 in) to the rear of the lower HITCH points with the lower links horizontal." OK?? No problem here----this happens to everyone at one time or another. ....

View my Photos
Ted

1999-08-09          6781

MEA CULPA !!! I concede the point indeed, it seems I was misled by Kubota themselves, hmmmmm...........could it be that there was an error in the translation from Japanese to English.............NO!!!!! It seems my owners manual quotes a different spec. than you speak of, and talks about LIFT points, not HITCH points. I owe you a beer, sir, but not if you're driving your tractor, ok ? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login