Go Bottom Go Bottom

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
BountyHunter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-08          61253

What are some pros and cons of hydro vs gear trans...i'm looking in the 30-35 hp range mostly mowing with a rear mount mower (Woods RM500)and clearing snow with a rear blade and an FEL as well as some general maintenance.

BountyHunter

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-08          61260

I personally dont think there is a down side to a Hydro other than the price. It is really a personal choice. I have never really seen anyone claim one is mechanically superior over the other. The hydro is more convienient for a lot of FEL work or in any situation that you would be forced to do a lot of shifting at the loss of a couple of HP. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-08          61264

I monitored a couple of tractor boards for a few months before buying my tractor, and it seems to me that the hydro trannies seem to be every bit as reliable than the gear ones - and maybe more so. I remember one person who reported a problem and that was with a used tractor he was thinking of buying. On the other hand, clutch problems with gear transmissions were reported a dozen times or more.

It also seems as if hydros are in higher demand and may hold their value a bit better and sell faster on the used market.

Really, it comes down to personal preference and whether the ease of use is worth the extra money and a couple of horsepower.

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-08          61273

Sounds like the hydro would be the best for you beings Loader work and mowing are going to be much of what your going to do with your tractor, I have a gear trans and it get's to be a real pain doing a lot of loader work. but it is really a personal perferance thing like Kwschumm stated.My 790 Deere only offered gear also. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-08          61283

If you were to be working with ground engagting tools like molboard plows, disc harrows,or skidding logs I'd recommend the gear drive. The Hydro would be my recommendation for your job description. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-08          61291

Art, just for my own info would that be due to the horsepower loss on the hydro or the stress that would be put on the tranny with the heavier ground work ? ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-08-08          61308

Hydro all the way...have a hydro Cub 125 & Newer Cub 3204
and they are a joy to drive...I also just picked up a JD4100 gear, and based on having to control quite a few things at the same time, hydro's make it easier. I knew what I was buying, and since it wasnt off the floor( but hardly used)brand new I didnt care and had no choice.
If you are going new, spend the extra $$ and get the hydro.
I fully anticipate replacing the clutch because I fan it alot. Its a shit load of shifting when you are using your FEL. I admit my technigue stinks, so the Hydro eliminates the extra steps to get the job done sooner. It literally requires more concentration overall, instead of the task in front of you...after working my ass off all week, the first thing to go is my concentration ( IE. grinding gears, poor release of clutch, wrong direction selected, etc) stuff that makes it fun overall !! ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-08          61309

I am an automatic guy, all my cars/trucks are autos however I have a geared tractor. I was not interested in an auto. I would have liked the synchronized reverser but it was not available in my model.

With that said I am sure I made the right choice. The first 2 days were a little rough but then it becomes second nature.

I have to think that in constant harsh, pulling, pushing, ground engaging a geared setup is stronger.

like I said I am an auto guy but in tractors and sports cars I am going geared :)

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-08          61311

I like my gear also but when a day's worth of loader work is in order I wish it was a hydro. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-08          61327

I have a gear transmission. It is a 12 X 12 speed synchro transmission with a shuttle shift under the left side of the steering wheel. It is very fast to shift from forward to reverse for loader work.

I bought a gear transmission because I grew up operating tractors with gear transmissions and my operating style includes operating the brakes independently for steering and some traction control. My tractor also has differential lock which is also worthwhile. I do a lot of loader work and the shuttle shift synchro is fast smooth and reliable.

I decided not to get a HST simply because on some brands and models you cannot use the independent brakes, particularly on the side with the HST pedal. It makes me wonder why that brake is even there, because if the HST is locked in so that you can remove your foot from that pedal, it is disengaged if you hit the brakes. So, I would be limited to making brake assisted left hand turns only. HST transmissions are also not as efficient and tend to use a bit more horsepower from the engine than gear transmissions do. They are highly reliable.

I think it boils down to operator comfort. I you have spent many hours in the saddle of older tractors with gear transmissions, you could probably go either way. If you go with a gear transmission I do recommend the newer synchro models which let you shift on the move. Older tractor transmissions and some new ones don't allow this. It seems that many people that are buying tractors for the first time particularly like the HSTs.

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-09          61339

Doc, this could take a while I hope my fingers hang in there. The hydro would burn about 15% to 20% more fuel during those tillage jobs or hard pulling jobs vs the gear drive. The hydro with the built in slip factor would not wear the tires by about 50% over the gear drive. The hydro will burn more fuel during loader work but probably in the 10% max area but the work done should increase about 20% so that is acceptable. The slippage become very noticeable when on hard pulls, an auto in a car or truck is an example when comparing to a standard. The automatic is not built like a hydro and is actually a tighter transmission then a hydro for putting horsepower to the ground. If you are putting the horsepower thru a shaft then the hydro gives you the flexibility to match the ground speed to maximize the horsepower you have. International Harvester sold hydro tractors back in the 60's and 70's and they had there place on many farms, some worked well and some didn't as many were not run right. A 70 horsepower hydro with mower would do the same as 100 horsepower gear with the same mower. Strange as it may sound a 85 horsepower gear could pull the same plow or disc as 100 horsepower hydro. On the compacts, with the improvements on hydro's built today including the third range on larger compacts they are a better value for every job but still not the absolute best for everything. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-09          61349

Thanx Art, just wanted to make sure my thought processers were still working right. It does seem for most that the real catalyst is price, or the model they choose only comes in a gear configureation. So would it be fair to say this, For heavy work like logging, a gear is preffered, for lots of mowing or FEL work, a Hydro is preffered. For the majority or those who will do a little of everything it comes down to personal prefference and what you are comfortable spending. Both work well. My own personal opinion is that I like the hydro but would not hesitate for a second to take a gear especially a synchronized one or even better the reverser, I think those are great ! Most of the "deluxe" cuts now seem to come standard with the hydro and most of the "bare bones" or "REAL" tractors come with a gear, some with the option to upgrade the trans at a higher price. In the end a test drive should always be the order of the day for the purchaser. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-09          61350

I'll continue as proxy for Art's fingers a bit because I think it's worth saying. Art convinced me awhile back that typical long term maintenance costs for HST's are less than for gears provided that periodic maintenance is performed. Please correct me if I misrepresent anything.

Replacing clutches on gear tractors runs up the maintenance costs while few compact owners are ever going to wear out a HST pump or motor. However, I really don't know how frequently swash plates on pumps and motors have to be replaced or if the expense compares to new clutches. I just accepted what I recall Art saying and it corrected a misconception I held.

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-09          61353

Doc, you are right, so to speak if the shoe fits ,lets walk. Tom that is correct on the repair issue. If you look at the lawn mowers today, they are nearly all hydro's or a belt drive with a variable sheave assembly. Even the drive belts on the hydro lawn tractors often last as long as a clutch on some lawn and garden tractors. I had people with the 130 pto horsepower farm tractors that did tillage work with them knowing that they virtually needed an extra fuel tank for the job vs a gear drive that could have plowed 2-3 mph faster and burned far less fuel but they enjoyed the effortless speed changes and the ability of to have the infinite speeds. They also went from about 2000 hours on a set of drive tires to 4000 hours. I do recommend a strick maintenence program for hydro's and not running them dry!!! When a hydro is running it has the oil and there is no metal to metal, when dry trying to run you have steel against brass and it will not last! With a good program it is not unusal on those old farm tractors to see them well past the 10000 hour mark and never touched. Saw some far sooner from starvation and contamination of water. Personally I like the Kubota Glideshift as a best of both worlds for performance on either end. I have been able to be spoiled by the selections I have in the yard and unfortunatly I don't have enough work to keep driving them as often as I would like. It's been great being spoiled this way! ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-09          61362

Great info. Art and Tom. Thanks for posting that. Gave quite a bit of food for thought. Another pro that I have come to REALLY like with my ehydro is that I can virtually set the cruise control to ANY speed I want, right down to a snail's crawl. This I found to be a great benefit when I am tilling with the pto tiller. The ehydro is real nice for maneuvering the boats and trailers in tight quarters and hooking up hitches. The con side of the coin is that I can really notice the slip Art mentioned especially when the Load Match is engaged. I think this feature is geared more towards preserving the pump by maintaining fluid flow and out put as much as possible within preset perameters. This feature also prevents the stalling of the engine if loaded down heavy. I have had both gear and hydro. The 4410 is my first bigger hydro tractor and I love the ehydro that allows me to select 2 different motion start off engagment rates (Motion Match) 2 different modes of hydro operation (Load Match)that allow a tighter (for lack of a better description) slippage hook up or a mode that maintains constant engine rpm and prevents stalling which is great for loader work and very steep hills. The Kubota L245 and Cub 154 LoBoy both served me very well and reliably. The big thing I did not like about the gear shifting is clutching, waiting for the gear train to slow to a stop (this did not always happen with the Kubota) and shifting into gear. Really slowed my work down if I had a lot of turning around and backing up to do. I just did not like the occasional grinding gears to shift. I learned to avoid this with the Kubota by placing the tractor in gear prior to starting it with the clutch in. From that point I could shift without grinding but if I let the clutch out in neutral; she always grinded going into gear; tried to be a gentle as I could. Know me, I probably was not doing something right. Anyway this is my 2 cents worth on this. Good luck on your decission with the tractor purchase. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-09          61366

"From that point I could shift without grinding but if I let the clutch out in neutral; she always grinded going into gear; tried to be a gentle as I could. Know me, I probably was not doing something right. Anyway this is my 2 cents worth on this. Good luck on your decission with the tractor purchase."

Chief,

remember that old commercial (70's early 80's)where the older Chinese passenger says to his younger Chinese driver in a thick accent, "if you can't find em' grind em' as the young guy grinds and lurches the car?

I think it might have been Aamco???

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-09          61368

That is what we used to tease the bus drive with when she missed a gear and grinded it in anyway! LOL! Most of the time I would just turn the tractor off and put it in gear and then restart with the clutch in. The guys at the Deere dealer said that was normal for a gear shift tractor. I have my doubts about that. My Cub 154 never did that although I had to look down through the cluthc housing cover and wait for the clutch assy. to stop spinning and then shift. I think the clutch may have been sticking on the Kubota L245. She was still a great little tractor. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-09          61369

Teasing the driver, I wouldn't have guessed that from you. :)

I notice on the 790 the only shift that requires a short pause is from foward to reverse. It is still only slight.

While I don't consider myself the "Guru of the Gearbox" :)this is my method:

While doing say FEL work I set the hand throttle low (1500rpms) and use the foot to speed up or give the FEL a boost. This way when I let off the foot throttle the rpm's drop, I then can shift fast and smooth and then get back into the throttle. Almost like a car. If the hand throttle is higher you need to give some time or you get jerky shifts and the occasional grind. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-08-09          61370

One thing to keep in mind is there are big differances in gear models avalable.
Glide shift and Power shift-shift on the go, no clutch needed to shift except to stop or reverse.No need to be at complete stop to forward or reverse(if I understand right this is how they work)

Syncro reverser transmission-Shift on the go,clutch needed to shift between gears or to stop,foward or reverse.
My Kioti has this transmission,I can shift on the go,even under full throttle while brush mowing and do a quick shift(no grinding,shifts as nice as a sports car),I can also shift forward to reverse without being at a complete stop with a foward reverser lever on the stearing column.

Unsyncronized transmission-My John Deere 850 has this trans,throttle down and complete stop to shift forward to reverse,complete stop and throttle down to shift gears.A reliable transmission but not nearly as user friendly. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-09          61372

You know me Scott, I am a PC, non-trouble making kinda guy. ;-) How is that Kubota warranty discussion going over on the "other" tractor board? I heard it is getting nice and lively? LOL! ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-09          61373

I think I got it locked last night, you decide :)

I made the suggestion that the delete feature should only be used when absolutely necessary and that locking and out of control thead was more appropriate. This way people could still access the thread and see what was said and make up their own minds. I suggested that either feature be used SPARINGLY .

Well, 13 minutes later Mr M. locked that and another thread. :) I guess sparingly is a matter of opinion. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-09          61374

Careful with your opinion Scott. They will lock you out like they did me. Anyway I should not have mentioned it on this thread. I apologize for the "thead drift". I'll email you or start another thread on the subject which is more akin to beating a dead horse on this board in that I think we have already pretty much covered that subject at GREAT length. On with the tractor talk!!! :-) ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-09          61375

Better be good Chief you'll need to start your own FORUM soon!

Anyway the gear vs. hydro thing is all up to what you feel comfortable with. In this application (tractors) I like gears in cars and trucks I'll take auto. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-09          61380

I do not mean to be offensive to any single person here but this forum is simply getting way too off track consistantly with moaning about other people and places. I think for me personally this site has lost some integrity with a couple of people dominateing every conversation with this banter. I am not saying for a minute that anyones point of view is invalid or even that it should not be expressed here. I am saying in my very humble opinion that the majority of strands should not digress or begin with this same topic. I just dont see the point of drawing others into private qualms, thats what e-mail is for. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-09          61382

Doc, I'm curious - what in this thread upset you? I found it all pretty innocuous. Even the mention of the other board didn't get out of hand and that message was followed up by a message to stay on track.

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-09          61387

Kw, actually I am not upset at all. Its just that the rhetoric about others has really been pervasive on a number of strands recently. Again I am not knocking anyones right to discuss it or anyones opinion. I just think it would be more appropriate if it were kept on a specific strand about that subject. If I'm not misstaken there have been a few of those lately. Everyone brings something to the table so I again want to say I am not upset at all its just that in this case a newcomer was asking advice and getting it. We should all remember that this banter is being viewed by many who might decide not to weigh in. If we abuse priveleges like the feedoms we have here it at least has the potential to cost this forum future members. I just dont think thats fair, especially to those who have dedicated a lot of work to giveing us a nice home. In the past I have overstepped as well. One thing I have done is to go back and delete that stuff so it does not affect others in the future and those parties to whom the conversation was directed at have already got the message and read it. I guess I see it as a bit overbearing when it goes on to this extent. Is it really necessary to involve everyone on this forum ? I Know some find it amuseing but I would respectfully submit others might find it unfriendly and unecessary especially those who are new here. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-09          61389

Bottom line is, everyone here gave good advice and solid opinions regarding the topic that spawned this thread. The poster got BOTH sides of the hydro vs. gear argument.

I don't think anyone would be scared off by the slight detour.

Now if we keep going on.... :) ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-09          61390

I do agree. This was a very equal and informative strand. I think all points were well made. There is plenty of elbow room here for all and all views and perspectives. Kindest Regards ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-09          61392

Hopefully, BountyHunter will post his eventual choice.

Good luck,
Scott ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-10          61416

On the power shift Glideshift of Kubota, you do not need the clutch to go from forward to reverse, I do recommend not being at full throttle but you do not need the clutch. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-10          61417

Does the glideshift have a reverser or similar set up ? If so that would sure seem the best of all worlds, convienient, less costly and more efficient. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-10          61419

On the left side of the steering column they have a lever that comes out to the side. I normally reach down from the steering wheel with my thumb or fingers to change directions. That still leaves the better part of my hand on the wheel so I can use the other hand to operate the loader. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-08-10          61430

Thanks Art.
I did not know that about the Glideshift.
For some reason I thought the clutch was needed to stop or change direction ! ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-10          61433

Art, can you tell us what Kubota models come with or have the glideshift trans as a option in the Hp ranges the origional poster is shopping ? ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-10          61437

My Ford 12x4 TX has three forward gears and reverse all synchromeshed on the steering column and 4 non-synchromesh ranges on the floor. I sure wouldn't want to be without a synchromesh reverse for doing loader work. The synchromesh forward gears sure are handy when I'm going someplace and decide I want to get there faster but I could get by without them.

About the only grossing I've heard about some power-shift TX's is that there can be a noticeable lag between gears. I don't know if the TX is in neutral during that time, which isn't what you want with a load on a hill. I also don't know if using the clutch cures the problem.

I did have a momentary thought along the lines of Doc's comments above a couple of days ago. I think it's good to express them. The way I'd express them is to say that I think we've got our own identify, our own specialty and take care of our content in our own way. Generally it works for us and maybe something different works for other people. Maybe news from elsewhere is a bit like yesterday's news. Maybe interesting if you haven't heard it before but a little goes a long ways if you have. I haven't found the YN commentaries crowding out tractor content much but it is our tractor content I'm interested in rather than some other place. Balance and content-- but I've written too much on these subjects and they're pretty much YN as well.

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
JerryG

2003-08-10          61452

I guess that my MF powershift is the same as Kubota glideshift, is that right Art?
Doc, it is great. When you are doing loader work or turning around in headlands, you just push the lever and your going the other direction. I haven't had my Powershift very long, but I would think that the hydraulic clutches would far out last a standard clutch also. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-11          61491

Those are hard to find Massey configurations here. Most of the on floor models are the base configuration. I think that if AGCO would ever get with the financeing program they would be a much bigger contender. Massey offers a LOT of tractor for the buck but its hard to swallow their financeing pill. Agco is one of those where you really have to read the fine print. Most of their financeing "deals" are 6 months. If you dont pay the machine off in that time the interest is retro active to the purchase date at like 19%...OUCH ! Its hard for me to understand how such a huge corp with a great product can continue to be so far behind the 8 ball. I would think that all glideshifts with reversers would be essentially the same in function regardless of the brand. I looked for the model you have but I never did find one. Do you like it ? ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-11          61494

Doc, the L-series has the glideshift transmissions. Kubota has built it since the 80's and it's been a pretty reliable unit and is much the same as the farmers have in there larger tractors. I'm not sure of the transmissions that Massey uses or it's design principles, sorry they aren't in my market place here. I should have looked at Empire farm days while I was there but I was to involved with the other brands that are in my market place. I do like having the different transmissions available. I think the newer gear drives are far easier to drive then the 10,15,20 and 25 year old tractors and they all keep getting easier to use but there are different uses as well as different users that make the need. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
JerryG

2003-08-11          61500

Right now Massey has 0% for 36 months.
All MF 1200 Series, MF 1400 Series and MF 1165 Compact Tractors
-Garden Compact Tractors (GC2300)
-Front-cut Mowers
-All Implements and attachments purchased with a qualifying Compact Tractor ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-11          61511

I am glad to see that they have gotton with the program since I looked at them last fall. Agco also has made significant improvements to its Web site since I was there last. The one I could not find was the 1417 hydro. I tried to find a 1433 with the synchro mesh but had no luck on that one either. I do think they are nice machines. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
JerryG

2003-08-11          61522

They have both on there now, but they still have very little information on either in my opinion. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-08-11          61568

I sure appreciate all of the info, I'm leaning toward a New Holland TC35D with the hydro. I've looked at several other brands (Kubota 2910, Kioti DK35-DK40, JD 4310, Mahindra 3510),but, several didn't even offer a hydrostatic trans as an option. The Kioti dealer said they were supposed to have one available 1st quarter 2004. I don't know if I want to wait that long, but I did like the ones I saw. Guess I'll just keep looking, and asking questions.

Thanks ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-11          61575

I have not seen the mahindra in person but all the others are fine choices. The Kioti is a whole lotta tractor for the $ no matter what tranny is in it. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-08-12          61616

The main concerns I have about the Kioti and some of the others is long term parts availability, warranty service if needed, and future service if needed. I'm not real concerned about resale value as I probably will keep what I buy until it or I turn to dust, whichever occurs first, although it would be nice to have something that keeps its marketable value. The Mahindra looks like a very solid unit also...kinda like a International Harvester tractor...same issue here. The Deere is a nice unit but price comes in to play. I, like everyone else am looking for the best bang for the buck.
Does anyone know about some of the attachments that are available for the various brands...how do they stand up? How do they compare to others and aftermarket brands? How about interchangeability?
I currently have a 1970 Ford 2000 3 cyl gas that I plan to replace and am just looking for the best all around deal. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-12          61632

its been a fairly long strand so I guess you need to restate what brands/models you have narrowed the field down to. I personally think the implement question is far to broad and subjective to give a honest answer. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-08-12          61633

I'm leaning toward a New Holland TC35D with the hydro. I've looked at several other brands (Kubota 2910, Kioti DK35-DK40, JD 4310, Mahindra 3510 ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-12          61636

Does NH have any good financeing deals right now ? There are a LOT of fans of that model/line by NH. I trust you test drove the others. This sounds silly but it is so critical when shopping but yet it is a step for some reason many skip. Sounds like a good choice to me either way. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-12          61638

Bounty Hunter, why didn't you look at the L-3130-3430 which is a match to the other tractors? Grand L-series start out less money then the B-2910. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-08-12          61666

I havent looked at these L-3130-3430 ...what are the differences between them (hp)? and what kind of price range are they in? ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-12          61675

L-3130 hst base is $16,370 retail and the L3430hst is $17,570. these are respectively 31 and 34 horsepower. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-12          61678

Art, how much for the L3830? If it is not another $1200 jump in price. Might be worth it to go for the L3830. But something tells me that if the pricing structure is anything like John Deere's it is probably not worth it. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-13          61721

Chief, the price jump is good with a retail price of $19604. It does get difficult sometimes to know that you have the best all around value. I see people buy to big and feel restricted or they don't have enough to do to properly warm the engines and trators for longevity or to get a good value for themselves. Yes, they can do there work faster than anyone on there road or in there social circle but it often takes them less time to do the work then it does to hook up the equipment. Sure, it will last a long time to a degree as they won't have many hours on it but they will have different troubles then the individual that puts some time on while it is being used. ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
blizzard

2003-08-25          62631

I have 29 hours on my L3130HST with 723 loader, and find the hydro EXTREMELY useful. So far I have raked and back-dragged my 1600' drive, moved and graded about 3 yards of rocky sand/gravel, unloaded a 55 gal. drum of oil from my pickup, relocated an old snow-plow and several 10' HEAVY steel beams, hauled some wood, set a 14' 8" round post, etc. Much of this was done in less than ideal ground conditions, and the ability of the hydrostatic to just creep along over rough areas, and exactly position the load expedited the work and made it much safer. I also like the self-braking feature of the hydro. I hardly ever have to use the brakes (except for parking, which IS necessary for safety).

If I was only using the tractor for mowing or loading, I suppose one of the shuttle type transmisions would be fine, the benefits being a little less cost and and more available horsepower. But for maximum versatility, and I assume most reading this will use their tractors for multiple tasks, I strongly recommend the hydrostatic transmission.

bliz ....

Gear or Hydrostatic

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-30          97435

Being shiftless I'll take the hydro and leave the gears to the shifty characters.
LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

[color=criminson]***************[/color]
[color=goldenrod]GET THE BASICS HERE.[/color]
[url]http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=410243#post410243[/url]
[color=criminson]*****************[/color]
> ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login