Go Bottom Go Bottom

What size is right for Mowing and Snow

View my Photos
chuckles
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-24          58225

I have been reading here for sometime and have finally joined so I can post pix of the property I am maintaining.

I am using a Garden Tractor now 42 inch deck and a 42 inch snowblower with a small auger that can only handle 4 inch or so at once.

The photos show my finish lawn which is about 2.5 acres of grass out of 5 acres rest woods. The front yard pix is the most slope which you can see I mow side hill with the GT.

The drive is real big at the garages and the whole thing is about 1000 feet long with some sections flat with one section of about 8% - 10% grade.

I want to be able to run a core aerator, something like a thing called the aeravator that I saw that combines core areation with a thatching/slicing feature that puts grooves in the sod perfect for seeding.

What tractor should I get??? I don't have a limited budget, I just want to get something I will be happy with.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-24          58227

JD has the 790 and NH has the TC30 which are designed to be less expensive but very capable tractors. They are priced around the $11K range to get people in the door.

Quite often a person will decide that they like the fancier tractors in the line, but the 790 and TC30 would do well for you. You could probably get by will a bit less. ....

View my Photos
dcsmith01
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-24          58237

Nice piece of property Chuck. You need to go shopping and find something that fits your budget and needs. Most compacts will fill your need more than likely. Drive some and see what your comfortable with. I finish mow 4 acres, plow 600' of driveway, and brush hog a 10 acre pine tree field with a Kubota B7500. It works fine for my needs. Others may think it's a bit small. I have no complaints. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-24          58238

What price range were you thinking about? ....

View my Photos
chuckles

2003-06-25          58251

I would like to spend less than $16,000 for a new machine with mower and loader.

I think I need a front blower for the paved drive in the pix. Since I am a newbie I thought if I dragged a back blade on the paved drive in the pix I would rip up the edges of my finished lawn in the process. In general I have been happy with the blower on the garden tractor, I just don't like the fact that I cannot handle depths above 4" in one pass, and I have problems with wet snow. I used to use the front blade on my Garden Tractor on a smaller piece of flat property but it loses traction on the grades on my current drive. The dealers never seem to push the blower but just say use the loader and the blade, what do you guys think?

I also want a machine with a flat operators deck, when I rented a Kubota B21 last year it made going backwards a breeze compared to using a machine with a big hump in the middle like my Garden Tractor.

Would a B7500 handle going across the slope of my picture number 3? My local Kubota dealer said that I would be able to take the B7500 anywhere the Garden tractor could go! True or False? ....

View my Photos
TractorGuy

2003-06-25          58273

Maybe you should just upgrade to one of the bigger John Deere Garden Tractors that has a differential lock and two wheel drive. But it may be that with the grades an such you may slip in the winter.

When you get 4wd the machines work much better. I would recommend that you get Turf tires for your application. ....

View my Photos
LarryT

2003-06-25          58296

There is a big difference in a 4wd compact tractor and a Garden tractor, both in price and capability.

I too prefer a front blower to a blade, of course it depends on how much snow you get.

I would stay with the lighter tractors like the B7500 ot the deere 4100, too much weight is bad for turf. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-26          58339

Chuckles, what is the matter with a BX Kubota, low profile, has all the attachments of the bigger tractors and close if not equal to the manuverability of the lawn mower. I don't see a need for a bigger tractor here unless it is for a bigger blower. ....

View my Photos
melensdad
Posts: 90 Northwest Indiana, near Lowell and 8 miles from Beecher, Illinois

2003-07-02          58738

I think the small BX Kubota would work. I've been mowing 4+ acres for 8 years with a Cub Cadet 1862. I have a front blower for snow, my drive is shorter, but the blower works fine for snow up to 8". I keep weights on the wheels all year, chains for the winter. The small frame Kubota would do the job better than my Cub, but a large tractor is not needed. ....

View my Photos
chuckles

2003-07-02          58739

Thanks for the feedback,

My garden tractor has 23" rear tires on it, the BX has 26" tires, I am convinced that I need a tractor at least twice as big as I have now. The only reason I would even remotely consider the BX is if the B7500 or comparable Deere cannot manage going across the steepist slope in my pix. If it can manage the slope I'd rather have the bigger tires and ground clearance and traction that come with the B7500.

I also expect to go into the woods in the pix and drag out dead logs and maintain a trail tru the 5 acres I have.

View my Photos
melensdad

2003-07-02          58740

I also have a NH TC24D HST and LOVE it. It is 100 times the tractor of the little Cub. I also bought a 4.5 acres next door so I have a total of 11.5 to take care of (1/2 is wooded). The Cub does 70% of the mowing and 100% of the snow removal. The NH could replace the Cub if it could mow closer to the trees; the ROPS hits the branches. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-02          58741

chuckles, that price range puts you in JD 790 or 4110 territory. The 790 is a great tractors for the dollar spent. Just not fancy and minimum bells and whistles. Check out this web site. It should give you an idea of what kind of money you are looking at. ....

Link:   JD 790 Online Pricing

View my Photos
melensdad

2003-07-02          58742

Isn't the 4110 a little light in the 3pt lift capacity? IF I recall, only about 700lbs at 12" behind the 3pt? The NH and Kubota are both about 1200lbs capacity. If chuckles is pulling a large mower deck the 3pt capacity may become an issue with the 4110. ....

View my Photos
Trac4me

2003-09-09          63461

Chuckles,
Your situation is just like mine what did you decide to go with ? Why? How do you like it? ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-09-10          63483

Melensdad,

I would say your incorrect on the 4100-4110 3 pt lift limits. Its rated at 1,150. I lift my ballast box with 700-800 lbs with ease. The spec's show 1,150 as its limit.
The 4110 would definitly handle everything he needed to do.

Ducati996 ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-10          63486

I wish I had a picture of a load of Cherry and Butternut that was in 9'to 11' Logs length being loaded on to a truck. It was a ten wheeler and it did have to be moved a couple of times as the 20 plus logs 15" the smallest up to about 28" butts couldn't be stacked very high because the BX22 Kubota didn't have enough weight so he had to make four piles. He did have to use low range to pull them up the hills on the 1/4 mile pull from the woods to the house driveway to get them hauled out. Unfortunatly I missed the first load that went out! When you guys doubt the capacities of this tractor and say you need more I just wonder why! This tractor also cleans his driveway at home and his place of buisness, mows his 7 acres of lawn and tills a couple of acres of gardens. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-09-10          63497

Art, the BX and B7500 weigh about the same and are very close in footprint.

Price aside, are the main reasons someone would purchase a B7500 over a BX :

1) Higher ground clearance for rougher terain
2) Better Traction
3) Little larger implements
4) Higher Torque engine
5) More comfortable because of bigger tires
6) Buyer has larger areas to maintain (ie more than 2 acres clear ground to mow)
7) Buyer wants to looks more macho/cooler ;>)

The reasons someone would buy a BX over a B7500

1) Improved stability on slopes
2) Can handle small pieces of property can go anywhere a Garden Tractor can
3) Can get under trees and around obstacles
4) Finish cut is better can mow lawns with obstructions under an acre in size
5) Fits in the garage better
6) Buyer does not have testosterone issues, just needs to get the smallest machine that can do the job, mostly a mow, snow user

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-10          63499

Excellent observation, Dennis. That BX #6 does crop up doesn't it?

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-10          63501

On 3 point lift capacity: I have lifted 1200+ pounds with both my JD 4100 and my BX22.

The BX tires didn't look too happy, but the hydraulics are there. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-10          63529

Dennis, I agree with the testosterone. The BX and the B-7500 as well as the B2410 all take 60" decks. So for mowing efficency it goes back to the BX. The smallest tractor and the largest deck make the best mower. The next move up up would be the B-27-29-7800 chassis with the 72" deck. That is it in a nut shell, ask any pro mower! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login