Go Bottom Go Bottom

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
CraigR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-19          51480

I've just entered the market for a compact. I'm going to do mostly yard landscaping. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. Any suggestions? How are the Northern Hydraulic tractors(Nortrac)? Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-19          51482

The JD790 or the TC30 Nh give a big bang for the buck, those are both in the 30 hp range. ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-19          51483

There are some Korean tractors that are good value with out dated engineering. Koiti DK and CK models and the Malhindra 4XXX series are the newer Korean offerings. Century/Branson are also Korean but I am not sure as to the engineering as I have never tested or looked at one.
Peters ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-20          51494

Craig, I'd be a little leery of getting too far away from the majors, Case-IH, Deere, Boomer, Kobota, for fear of having a parts orphan on my hands down the road. There are lots of new names showing up in the compact world, and I'm sure some of them offer good quality for the dollar, but someday the market will become saturated and just like all business firms only the strongest will survive. ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
stew whitehurst

2003-03-20          51496

hey craig
when you look around look at the land trac ,
i can say how happy i am with my 360 it is a great tractor with a great price it is well worth looking at !
good luck .
stew ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
Anon

2003-03-20          51503

There's parts orphans in all brands!!
Try buying parts for a 210-4 Massey, 1020 JD, older gear sets etc for Kubota's,etc,etc. Alot of the "Big Names" are using the "little names" to make their tractors. Kubota and Kioti are the only ones making and selling there own tractors. The JD 5210, 5310 series are Made by Kukje(Branson and Century tractor manufacturer out of South Korea) some of the others are built by Zetor(not sure which ones on that one). The new Cub Cadet 40 and 45 is built by KIOTI. Massey's are built in Turkey and Japan. Longs in Romania, South Korea and India(I believe). Years ago there were alot of brands too.
Go with whatever brand you feel best on. Try them all then make a decision. Stay away from Chinese though!! ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
CraigR

2003-03-20          51504

Thanks for the reply's. It seems the tractor selection can be a little overwelming. If you have some web site links, that would help also. Thanks ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
Anon

2003-03-20          51505

By the way the Nortrac is Chinese, as is the Jinma, Farm boss, the list goes on and on. If you are mechanically inclined they really aren't too bad. Seals leak, fuel pumps go out etc. They are still a long way from the quality of the others. ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
Anon

2003-03-20          51507

www.bransontractors.com www.kiotitractor.com www.longagri.com www.deere.com www.kubota.com

All have dealer locators or a list of dealers on the site. ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-03-20          51525

Anon,

You failed to point out a few things and painted a broad brush stroke with others. Zetor no longer has a part in JD. JD divested itself 3 years ago maybe a little more. The Kukje JD's are sold only in Asia, and Cub Cadet is Mitsubishi. As for the Chinese, they have their place, but any one ordering a tractor out of a catalog in these days ought to seriously have his head checked. HELLO!? Any one heard of Warranty, Parts? SERVICE? Northern has been up to this for years, first one tractor then another. Although Jimnas have made a large splash, the major handlers of these tractors are getting out of this brand. Wonder why? hmmm..... ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
Anon

2003-03-21          51552

I didn't want to write a book on the subject. My reply was mainly in defense from the guy with the "only buy big name because you are gonna get an orphan if you buy anything else" claim.
I'm sorry I was missinformed about the kukje's. Their website shows the J.D's. I wasn't meaning to paint a false picture. ....

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-03-21          51565

JD has also entered into a manufacturing agreement with a chinese tractor company. I guess we may be seeing green Chinese tractors in the future.

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-03-21          51576

Take a good look at the Mahindras before you buy. The Century/Branson lines are good choices also. ....

Link:   Mahindra US site

Compact Tractor choices

View my Photos
benfranklin

2003-04-11          52995

I'll give the same advise I've given elsewhere on this question. Don't look at color yet. It seems you want around a 30hpdiesel,4wd. Rent one or two that are different gearing,hp etc. Use them heavy for a day or two. It's like buying a car - drive it. Notice the deck space, gearing,loading,handling,how the dealer treats you, does he have a portable mechanic triler to come to you,how long in business. Talk to people who have bought from the dealer/s. After that decide on your color and then shop price. Price ranges are tight but where you can get extras in on the equipment side. The base price of the primary machine is tight but not the equipment: tires,loader,deck etc. Choose a machine but shop package. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login