Go Bottom Go Bottom

choices Kubota b2910 Deere 4310 NHolland TC30 35

View my Photos
jc-48117
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-21          44034

Looking for a tractor for my new house. I have never owned one before so I'm a little confused due to all of the ads and hype. I have 5 acres of land to mow. I also have to plow my own snow (Private road) and would like to do landscaping.

I would like a front loader, 72" deck (less time for mowing)and around 30 Hp (due to demands placed on the engine). What would be a good tractor. The dealers I have around me sell New Holland, John Deere and Kubota. I picked the three listed in the subject because they look like the ones that fit my needs. I have looked at some of them at the dealers but that just served to confuse me more.

Is there any place that I can get comparisons, kind of like consumers reports does on cars?

Thanks,
Jason

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-21          44040

Unfortunately, I know of no objective independent source of testing on tractors. So you have to do your own, but we can help.
All three colors have loyal followings here. My own sense is that they are all close in quality with Kubota leading the pack. Many times tractor purchases come down to which one “sits” the best or which one has the best financing options.
Go drive them all and get the spec sheets, if you haven’t already done so. Then go back and drive them all three or four more times.
The first thing that jumps out to me is the blue and green are pretty evenly matched in weight and horsepower while the orange one is 1000+ pounds lighter. That is due to methods of construction, but you should consider whether that extra weight would aid you in winter traction or hinder your ability to mow in an efficient manner.
I find it useful to make a comparison chart of all the specs and then ask why they are different. Ask the dealer and ask us. There are a whole bunch of real knowledgeable folks on this board who will happily respond to your questions.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-21          44042

Here is another thing to ask: Do you need the new fangled load match sensors and electronic widgets that Deere has started putting on it's tractors this year? Or will a simpler machine be better in the long run?
If it were me I would want to see a couple more years of road use on new gadgets before I threw my money in the game. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2002-10-21          44044

Jason, I don't think consumer reports would stack up to what you can learn here. Consumer reports people probably wouldn't be "tractor" people. They would report on fit/finish and how the steering wheel feels.

You can learn everything you need right here if you read the archives. People have wrote about long term use, warranty problems, what tires are best for certain uses, pros and cons of different mowers, ect. I use my TC33D for the same thing you will use yours. It's the perfect size tractor for me. You must test drive the tractors many times to find out which one is best for you. lance ....

View my Photos
jc-48117

2002-10-21          44046

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see that I didn't get any of the "my tractor's better than yours" type responses. I have no loyalties to anyone of the above. I was looking at the specs. but the driving thing is interesting. Is it common for dealers to let you drive them?

1000# weight difference? That could make a big diff. in the winter. The mwoing efficiency isn't as important, I think. I was looking at belly mowers but it seems that everyone has differing opinions on that one too.

I tend to lean towards the Kubotas, based on word-of-mouth and the proximity of the dealer to my house but these are minor factors if other things take precedence. What about the L series? WHat are price ranges for these (L3910?)?

Jason ....

View my Photos
TC33

2002-10-21          44050

I have a TC33D and looked at all the major colors. I have 15 ac that I take care of. I mow about 5 ac as that is my actual yard area. One of the major issues was getting around obstacles "TREES."

The only thing I would like to point you to is SuperStear on the TC33. All the units are almost apple to apple although JD has a lot of new electronic enhancements. If you tend on mowing and you say you have yard work then before you purchase at least look at the SS and test it. Dealers will normally trailer one to your house no matter what model or color and let you give them a test drive.

Don't feel that you have any obligation after testing.. let them know up front you are shopping. But get on them drive them and test them... let the seat of your pants tell you how it feels. ....

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2002-10-22          44062

Probably the two best values in compact tractors today are the JD 790 or the New Holland TC 30. These tractor have everything you need to get the job done but no frills. Your not paying for allot of Mickey Mouse gadgets that are more hype then useful.

They both have 30 engine HP, 25 PTO HP, are available in 2 or 4WD The JD 790 is offered in 8 sp gear only, the NH TC 30 can be had with gear or HST transmission.

Before buy anything you need to price these tractors, there's allot of bang for the buck.. ....

View my Photos
TC33

2002-10-22          44072

Gunfighter, I would agree with the no frills as I also look and tested the tc30. The only issues for lawn care is the ROP will not fold making issues with tree limbs and didn't offer SS. If lawncare and manuvering is a concern this might be an issue. Folding ROPS for around tree work can be a concern. This is the case of any unit without folding Rop. ....

View my Photos
TomG2

2002-10-22          44073

Similar to Mark, I'm of the opinion that they're all good machines and the one that feels best probably is best. I'd add that the dealer who seems best could add a lot to the tractor's value for an owner.

The only objective tractor comparisons I've found are the Nebraska Farm Tests, but they're only conducted for farm tractors. The tests were legislated by the Nebraska legislature to provide farmers with objective comparisons since there weren't any then or now. Unfortunately, the legislation was intended to protect farmers so that leaves out compact owners. The test has a web site that can be interesting to go through to see how things are compared.

Regarding economy tractors. I guess I have one since it is a mid-80's Ford and tractors didn't have ' bells 'n whistles' then. The tractor has a 12x4 synchromesh TX that provides 3 forward and a reverse synchronized gears in each of 4 unsynchronized ranges. I'm very happy to have synchronized reverse gears for loader work and 4 reverse speeds for my 3ph snow blower. PTO implements require PTO engine RPM, and the TX is the only control over ground speed. It's good to have a bunch of gear ratio choices or a HST.

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-10-27          44282

jc48117,

All good tractors, but If I were you I would take a LONG hard look at the Kubota L3010. If that doesn't get your you attention with price, interest rate, rebate and features then NOTHING WILL.

jeff r ....

View my Photos
farmhouse

2002-10-27          44289

jc, I'm sorry that you are not considering the Kioti tractor. I have a 30 hp. 4wd LK3054, pulling a 5ft mower that would be perfect for your size of property. The tractor is simple in construction and operation and of some importance, very reasonable in price. This tractor has a shuttle shift and for a neophyte like me, very forgiving and easy to use. If it's not too late, give the Kioti a look. ....

View my Photos
powderfreak

2002-10-27          44290

looking into buying my first compact, would appreciate input on pros and cons of setting up tractor with a front end loader and rear snowblower, or front end blower. Do both the front and rear have the same capacity, it appears that the rear snowblower from pictures is larger in terms of depth cut. Also would like to know pros and cons of mid mount mower to rear mower. Have 6 acres with a 200 ft driveway. all responses greatly appreciated. ....

View my Photos
ryan

2002-10-30          44465

The JD4210-4310 or either the TC30 or 33D will suite your needs. Im not real sure on the Kubota line, but anything 28 to 30 hp should do you fine. Ill tell you what I recomend. Have the NH,JD and Kubota dealer all bring out a comparible tractor to your house. There is nothing in the law that says that it is illegel. Have them sit side by side and look over the features you feel are absolutely necessary for you. make a list of important features and rate each one 1-10. The machine with the highest score, wins. Look at serviceability, comfort-mowing should be chore, but relaxing, efficientcy, ease at the opperating station, do you have to reach for the hydrualics, or are they by your side. I do recomend a automatic transmission, the ones we have sold for mowing from my store, seem to hold up a lot better. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2002-10-30          44468

Depending on the type & number of bells and whistles you have in mind. Take a look at the JD 790, 4115, 4210, or 4310. 4410 or 990 if you want a little extra umph! I would suggest the eHydro if you go with one of the 10 series tractors. If you decide you want a Deere, contact me with what you want. If it is worth it for you to make the drive. I think I can work up some very competitive numbers for you. Good luck on your search and decision! ....

Link:   JD Compact Tractor Info.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login