Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tough choice - TC30 JD790 MF1428V

View my Photos
BrianK
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-08-05          40991

I have narrowed the selection down to NH TC30, JD 790, or MF 1428V. All priced the same in my area with loader and bush hog. Will use on 30 acres mostly for clearing and maintaining land around the house. A point in the right direction will help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-05          40994

I'm not familiar with that MF at all, but own a TC29 (similar to the TC30) and have looked at the JD790. My best advice would be to test drive them all if you haven't already, and get on and off each one several times. If you haven't worked a tractor much, you won't believe how much you have to get on and off of them. Just something to think about.
Bill ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-05          40998

Sorry but this is a the analytical point of view. Resale will be the best on the JD or the NH. If you are unconcerned with this then look closely at the spec sheets. The JD offers you live transmission, single stage clutch and dry brakes. Dry brake began to be phased out in the 60's. In a wet muddy environment it is very difficult to keep dry brakes completerly dry. The mass of a tractor places a large amount of strain on very small brakes over heating is easy, thus the wet cooled brakes. Having had a 750 which used the same transmission as this tractor I can attest to the brake trouble and the 90$ shoes or 360$ and drum turning for a brake job. My only real kick at the tractor but I had to reline the brakes twice in 4 years.
The NH has wet brakes and single stage clutch with live PTO. Good tractor with good reputation.
Massey has wet brake and dual stage clutch with live PTO. Clearly more for your money.
The hydraulic pump capacities are also interesting as the NH has 2 pumps vs JD and Massey single. The Massey has the largest capacity.
Beyond this the question is which is the best to operate. Unfortunately you will not find some of the annoying problems until you run it for a while.
Peters

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-08-05          40999

Peters has raised a good point with the brake issue. Since I am a green dealer I am somewhat biased about a few things. However, I carefully sell 790's. They are a good,lowcost tractor, but they are not for everyone. The dry brakes will cause maint. problems, but given the amount of cash saved over say a 4310, it may be worth the savings to you to stay with the 790.

John Deere has a new loader out for the 790. The 419. The 419 is stronger and faster than the old 70 loader, and I would make sure my 790 was equiped with the new 419.

As a general rule, the green or the blue will have the highest resale value in the future. While MF may be strong in some areas of the US, the dealer support in my area is nil, and resale values reflect this fact.

Maintaining 30 acres can take some time, and hours on the tach, and seat, will add up faster than you think, so makeing a few trips to the different brand dealers and getting some time with the tractors in question is a must.

Another issue is versitility. Will the tractors you have selected to jobs down the road as well as work that must be handled today? My opinion:

The TC29, and the 790 are both very good machines, but, the 4010 series Deeres and some of the other blue models have much more hydraulic capacities and other things that make life a little easier (I.E. The backhoes that fit a 790 are not nearly as agile and strong as the models that would fit say a 4410)

The next important issue is the selling dealer. Get to know him, let him get to know you. The dealer's service after the sale should be one of the most important factors in your desision.

Probably the most important factor is the old question, "How much money you got in your pocket?"

Last but definatley not least, How tall is the door in the shed you plan on storeing your new Iron?

Good luck!!

View my Photos
Art White

2002-08-06          41007

Brian, you didn't mention the Kubota L-3000 is there a reason? ....

View my Photos
BrianK

2002-08-06          41016

I was turned off by the price of the Kubota's. I started at the BX2200 level. The price for this unit at my local dealer was the same as the Massey 1428V so I never looked further. ....

View my Photos
sb

2002-08-14          41244

I will argue about resale value. Are you buying the tractor to use or to sell? Have you priced a used compact tractor? Probably not because they are not around. The MF will have as good as resale as any of the competitors when you are looking at compact tractors. The MF1428v is a workhorse. Take it from experience. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-08-17          41321

Turned off by the price of the Kubota's????? the SUB COMPACT bx2200 is a toy tractor and is way OVERPRICED in my opinion. check out the prices of the B2410-2910. you will pay 2000 more for the JD equivlants. ....

View my Photos
stew

2002-08-25          41626

something too think about !
a landtrac 360 , 39 hp and a heavy tractor . for the money it is worth looking at and see how it does !
i am new to this but i can say i am happy with my dealer and his selection .
[haynes outdoors ] in orange va .
i bought a tractor with 24 hrs for 16,3000 loader and a winch he is mounting .
i will let you more as it ages .

stew ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-08-25          41627

Also no mention of Kioti.
Definately worth checking into.They are very good machines at very good prices.. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login