Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota compared to lawn tractor

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-16          30998

A dealer recently told me that a B series Kubota was more comparable to a lawn tractor than a full featured "real" tractor such as a T/C 25 or a J/D 4000 series. He did mention that it would be the "Cadillac" of the lawn tractors, however. What brought this on was the lack of availability to install a remote valve, as well as the minature size of components compared to other brands. This kind of set me off since I have just signed on to buy one. Any opinions on this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-16          30999

First thing I'd do would be to find a real dealer or one with more knowledge. You should not be offended because of some ones lack of knowledge unless you are the teacher. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2001-08-16          31018

I don't dissagree with you Art, but since this dealer sells several brands, I can trade a 2000 machine of one make for a 2001 of another without taking a tremendous beating on it. Even though my TC has been plagued with problems (mostly minor but irritating) since the week it was delivered to the dealer and then to my home. What it has going for it is that it looks new due to my excessive compulsive cleaning disorder (according to my wife). I was curious to know if other owners of compacts felt the same way as this dealer does towards Kubota. I owned a B7100 for two years (before it wasn't big enough) and it never saw the dealer for a problem. That machine was built like the TC, with castings bolted to each other to form the backbone of the tractor. From what I have seen of the B2000 series, Kubota uses steel girders to construct the frame and then bolts the engine and other components to it to form what appears to be one of the strongest units in it's class. Perhaps I am all wet here, but this may be why this dealer (and perhaps others) compare them to lawn tractors, that is how those are built (keep in mind that this dealer has been around forever selling Ford,IH,NH,Cub and others and is two years new to Kubota) . My reasoning to go back to orange is based upon the track record of the machine along with my personal experience. I am also impressed by the durable appearance of the attachments I am buying ie: belly mower, loader. I have noticed that some of the tractor components seem to be of a lighter weight construction than on some other machines. Parts such as brackets, levers and even the sheet metal, but I suppose that is what keeps the weight down. The 2910 I have agreed to purchase has industrial rubber with a 72" belly mower and I believe will be a terror at around eight hundred pounds less than my TC29. A quick calculation with the weight compared to the tire size tells me that the footprint will be about the same # per sq. inch as on the TC. I am a bit curious to know if the three point hitch will lift as much as the TC. I have been following the broken link postings and that is a bit scary. Well what do you think Art? Murf? Tom? Bird? Opinions anybody??? ....

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-16          31020

I think the dealer's statements are garbage. If you compare dimensions, horsepower, max. implement sizes, etc., the B-series, TC's, and 4x00 series are strikingly similar. I would be curious to ask him what the specific areas are where the Kubota is under-built in comparison. I have never heard a statement like that even from people who may have an interest in bashing Kubota. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2001-08-17          31036

Again Rob, I don't agree with him. It just made me think about it. I respect the expert opinions here and wanted to present the dealer,s feelings towards one of his products. Perhaps he is under a misconception, but the lack of ability to install a rear remote that would be a Kubota product surprised me. We are going to have to use another brand. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2001-08-17          31037

A Lawn Tractor? Ha! Show me a lawn tractor with a front loader, or the ability to use a back hoe. My Deere 4100 is not approved for ANY backhoe according to the manufacturer. I think that little Kubota is one heck of a nicely engineered package. So what would you use a rear remote valve for that couldn't be accomplished by some other means? One BIG advantage to this machine is that it is built real close to the ground and may be the most tip resistant critter out there. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2001-08-17          31044

Remotes are used in my case for the hydro-turn on the plow as well as the chute rotation on the three point blower I want to buy. Does anyone here know how the loader detaches on the 2910? The dealer said it is a similar system to the other brands, the literature mentions something about support legs. He did not have one set up for me to look at. I have heard they are quite simple to use, I know the Deere and N/H are. ....

View my Photos
JJT

2001-08-17          31055

Gee, It wasn't that difficult to add another valve just below the loader control valve on my B 2710. Just tap into the loader control where it is set up for "Power Beyond".
JT ....

View my Photos
cutter

2001-08-17          31056

Most likely that is exactly what will be done with that valve. I am looking forward to using the machine. The specs in the phamplet he gave me state the hydraulics are much more agressive than other machines in its' class. One thing I have noticed on the 4100 and the TC are that they seemed to run out of hydraulic oomph when using the loader. I like the stick control on the Kubota for the cruise, it will allow me to use my turn brakes when plowing. I am losing the super steer option, but I have found in most cases I don't use it because it either scuffs the sod or the machine goes straight and the lead front wheel becomes a ski on damp soil or going up an incline. I drove the 2910 and it seemed to turn nearly as close a circle as my tc29ss. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-18          31061

Many people with B-series tractors report doing fairly big jobs for many years and speak well of their tractors. I doubt you'll regret your purchase. I don't pay too much attention to specs, because I think the major tractors are more similar than dissimilar, and they are all good products. Tractors are engineered as systems to do fairly standard sets of jobs. True, there are different engineering approaches to solving the same problem, but different approaches can get the job done just as well and just as durably. The specs may look different though, but that may be more important to marketing than to using a tractor. To me, HP, weight and size go together, so I simplify things and think of all compact tractors in five horsepower increments. All 25 and 30hp tractors will do most of the same jobs. However, a 25hp tractor will get maneuvering jobs done a little faster and a 30hp tractor will get power/traction jobs done a little faster. I guess I have faith that designs from the major manufacturers are pretty good, and that the manufacture/dealers will stand behind their products for the occasional design or individual tractor that isn't quite right. I'm not sure what 'lawn tractor' might mean, and I'm not sure what a tractor that was designed especially for mowing lawns would be like. Such a specialized piece of equipment probably would be less suitable for other tractoring work and I'm not sure why a manufacturer would build one unless it could be sold for a lot less money. One could be built lighter I guess, but then it probably would have a smaller engine. A big engine in a small mower doesn't make a lot of sense because they can go only so fast. I keep going back to the idea that 20HP is always the same. Full-featured tractors these days might mean one with a sizable computer, lasers etc. I don't know what full-featured means either. I do know that the best tractor is probably the one a person likes best right from the start. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2001-08-18          31066

I would tend to agree with you Tom. The first tractor I liked years ago was the Kubota. The only reason I switched when I thought a larger HP and loader neccessary, was the fact that the dealer had gone bankrupt which left none nearby. I bought a 4100 that was a nice machine but still I felt underpowered. Upon trying to trade up for a 4200, I was met with sticker shock and a not so great attitude towards the customer it seemed (I later found a wonderful Deere dealer, however). I now have two Kubota dealers within whistling distance and can buy what I wanted in the first place. This particular one extended himself when I was having issues with the N/H so I am sticking with him. He is not the dealer I purchased it from new, and he sells several brands, but he has been good to me. I can say that these tractors are like boats or anything else. You always want a bigger one. I like the features on the N/H very much, but the Kubota "feels" better to me and the size/HP/weight seem right. Perhaps they are a small step behind green and blue with ergonomics, but I believe the durability is unbeatable. I plan on retiring from my rat race career in five years and want to work somewhere local at a slower pace. A machine that I buy and pay for over the next few years will hopefully be around a long time. The lawn tractor statement I believe now was due to lack of product knowledge, something he should gain as he sees how these machines work. Sometimes new innovations or construction design changes don't sit well with people. I remember my dad and uncle banging on the deck of a new 1959 fiberglass boat when we pulled into a marina one day with our "wood" 1955 Chris Craft Capri. They laughed and said "look at that junk, who will ever want to buy a plastic boat". It seems millions of people do! My N/H is made of that same "plastic", it's a great material. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2001-08-18          31067

Cutter;
The B2000 series is built with a frame as are the JD 4100 and the X55 JD. The other tractors in the series are more coventional. I think that the ridge casting as in a conventional set up are easier to separate and work on but I am not sure that the set up is much stronger it is. Not Kubota's tough small commercial backhoe also has a frame, as do many larger backhoes. Castings cost money so the question is more the cost reduction in manufacturing. Cast iron is brittle therefore in stress points the casting must either large or utilize steel subframes. With hydrostatic drives there is less need to separate the casings therefore the new industrial tractors have subframes. Which is best? Depends on the design, application and purpose. By purpose I mean the manufactures, is the intent to simple reduce costs or is it to add strength?
Peters ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-19          31080

Yes, I was going to bring up the idea of castings and frames too, but I tend to ramble excessively. As far as I know, the fact that castings are brittle doesn't necessarily mean they are weak. Within their limits, you could say they're stronger than forgings since they don't deflect under load. Deflection probably isn't desirable when shafts, bearings etc. connect things together. I guess in conventional tractor design, the castings are made heavy enough to support the workload as well as the power train load. With a frame, castings probably can be lighter since the frame helps with the workload, but the castings still have to be there since a frame will deflect. That's what I meant by different engineering approaches to solving the same problem. Both work and can be durable. Marketing types often do things such as put spins on designs by implying things like ‘something with a frame is stronger.’ I suppose the specs stuff has to be gone through, but I think a lot of it is just time and effort put into somebody else's marketing scheme. The trouble with specs is that there's no end to thinking about things. Somebody is always coming at you with another marketing spin. In my simple life, I find comfort in simple ideas like; within a price/power range they’re all much the same. Lawn tractors are called such because they’re low powered. That means they also are small, light and maneuverable, which makes them good at mowing lawns. The dealer is the best reason I can think of to like a particular brand. Other reasons are how well the tractor fits me, and whether I grab the right things without groping or thinking about it. Is my back or neck stiff when I get off. ....

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2001-08-19          31095

You would have to attribute that statement either to ignorance or dishonesty. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2001-08-25          31274

Just heard from my dealer that Kubota will be offering a rear remote next year for the B series, due to popular demand. They are plumbing my Curtis Plow to an auxilary valve that will be mounted on the loader control so that when remotes are available, I can install them for a future attachment. I guess that moves it into the "real tractor" category huh? Have to go check on the boys out back now, they have been sawing and nailing in the barn since before dawn!! ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-08-27          31336

Cutter, this may be a little late, but you mention hydraulic outlets plumbed to or from? the loader valve, and of course, you can easily use the power beyond port from the loader valve, but there is also another option. While Kubota apparently does not yet offer the auxilliary valves and connections as a factory option, they do have an optional rear hydraulic outlet (very simple to install) and that's what I used for my Top 'N Tilt valve and cylinders. ....

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-08-28          31370

anybody agree with this notion...category 0 = lawn tractor, category 1 = utility tractor?

p.s. If God had intended boats to made of wood, he would of made trees waterproof. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-19          98752

A Lawn Tractor? Ha! Show me a lawn tractor with a front loader, or the ability to use a back hoe.
DRankin
================
Simplicity ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-19          98762

Really? ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
beagle

2004-10-19          98783

A few comments to add here. The 2910, 2710, and I believe the 2410 always have had rear hydraulic blocks. The only thing that was offered as an option was the hose, plugs, and valves. The B7--- economy tractors don't have a rear block, but can have rear remotes added from the PB of the FEL or off the front block without the FEL valve.

I owned a Legacy before the XL model was introduced. Two wheel drive, 25hp gas tractor, 26" rear wheels. Very well built machine in every way, but can't be compared to a CUT. I had the FEL on my Legacy and it was really limited, due to both the two wheel drive and the lack of torque from the gas engine. The tractor was truly frame constructed. The Kubita B's have frame parts, but are not a frame built machine like a garden tractor. The Legacy I had was also cat-0, but I fabbed a Cat-1 hitch for it. The pto-s where electric clutch engaged, and the FEL hydraulics ran off a seperate pump from the front pto. The only hydraulic system in the tractor was from the hydrosat, which also ran some very limited remote plugs. The remote valves were set up really well in a pod on the left hand rear fender. I want to say again, this was a REALLY well built garden tractor, and built in the USA, Port Washington, Wis.

Technically cat-0 15-25hp
cat-1 25-45hp

Is a Legacy XL a Garden tractor while the BX & JD 20 series are a SUB-CUT? Could be a fine line, could be marketing. As a previous owner, I would call the older model Legacy a Garden Tractor. Ever rented a mid-sized car? They are what most people would call compacts. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-10-19          98784

Some good things to look at would be the wheelbase, weight,width and height. This would give you a good comparison of size. The next step would be to compare features. Type of engine,drives to the deck,type of clutch system for deck,and on and on. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login