Go Bottom Go Bottom

newbie needs size type advice

View my Photos
Troy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-01          22007

Hi guy's, this site is excelent!My plan is to start my own small time landscape service that would include winter time use. I would need a tractor capable of efficiently using a loader, backhoe, snowblower and maybe a post hole digger. I don't want anything too large, something easy to transport and store. I only know a little about tractors and implements but from what I've read the JD790, 4000series seems to be the size range that would suite. We have a New Holland and a JD dealer here in town so obviously service would be easier with these brands. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, what happened to Ford? you see used ones around but the dealer is now NH.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-12-01          22010

Troy,

Let me preface my response by saying that I am a NH TC40D owner and love my unit. When I purchased I compared JD and NH (NH consumed Ford) and based on my needs decided on NH.

With your summary of use I would probably go with JD (gulp, don't tell others I said that) because of one factor (which does not affect me). JD's front loader and backhoe are faster and easier to remove than NH's. I've only removed my FEL once (remember this is NH) and that was only to see how easy or difficult it was. Not too bad but JD was easier. With that little experience with FEL change and looking at the literature for the backhoe and its ease of removing/attaching and coupled with your wanting to remove the backhoe and use other implements regularly I would recommend the JD units and a Freedom Hitch to make the changing of 3pt implements faster and easier.

If you were not going to be using a backhoe and wanting to frequently remove/attach I would heartily recommend the NH Boomer series as a very tough workhorse.

Hope this helps.

DaveV ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-01          22014

Troy, I am a JD fan myself but with that said Both NH and Kubota are very good machines. I own a JD 4700 with the 460 loader and #48 backhoe and many other attachments. I chose the JD because of the placement of all the pedals and levers. I am partly disabled and the JD fit the bill, also I had previously owned a JD 755. After the use and maintenance of the 4700 I have found it much easier than the other brands but this is only from talking with the other brand owners. As the above poster stated the attachment and removal of the backhoe is the easiest of all the implements without exception. Once the 3 point hitch arms are removed one can hookup and unhook the backhoe from the operators seat.
My other concern was maintenance, greasing the underneath of the tractor. On the old 755 there were numerous grease fittings and one had to lay on ones back for a while greasing each one. The 4700 has 5 grease fittings (under) the tractor and all can be reached without getting (under) the tractor. I can set in a rolling machanics seat and reach the fittings. JD has had numerous problems with the earlier made 4000 series but have worked out most of the problems with any produce after April 2000. You may save $$ upfront buying another brand but JD has the best resale value. Well I've gone on long enough, thats my view. David

View my Photos
Troy

2000-12-01          22018

Thanks for the input Dave V.
You didn't really have a say on what size would be right though. Would the smallest JD/NH models suffice? My biggest worry is not being able to complete a job because of inadequate performance from the machine. Whats the difference between a 4000 series JD and their 790 series? I wouldn't turn down a good used one either, but that opens up more choices....
thanks again.
Troy ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-01          22020

It would be one thing if you were to be using the tractor for your own personal use. With thoughts of getting into a buisness with the tractor you buy I would be looking at the durability of the components used. Look at the mower decks and be sure they are of commercial quality make sure the loader and bucket are also of commercial quality and will do the chores you intend to do. I've heard that line the dealers are close to you before and that only is an asset to you if you buy a machine that is not of the quality you need and you have premature failures due to the stress being put on the machine. ....

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-12-01          22041

Troy,

It is hard to say what size would best meet your needs, it all depends on what type of work you have in mind. If I was planning on digging footers for houses I would not consider the JD 4000 series or the NH Boomers as they are too small.

If you are thinking of a business that you hope to continue when you retire (assuming that you are not already retired) and want to work part-time to do 'light' jobs such as digging shallow trenches (4ft) for culverts, underground cabling, and doing other general grading work then I would consider units like the JD4500 or TC35D and larger. I feel the larger/beefier frames on these units along with the higher capacity hydraulic pumps would be the best investment in the long run. Be sure to get a HST or wet-clutch transmission (JD calls the wet-clutch a Power-Reverser) as this will make your life much easier and save your left leg from clutching all day long.

One of the most important factors in your decision is your dealer. Without a good local support structure your business could be hurt financially. Consider the case of a broken hydraulic hose. If the dealer does not stock many parts (not many stock all of them) how long does it take to get another part? 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, and how much does it cost for expedited service? Depending on how much work you want to do this can put a pinch in your schedule, postpone jobs, lose jobs, and make you look bad to your customer who has a broken tractor in their yard. Because your dealer acts as your business partner in equipment and operational up-time be sure to interview them that way and let them know what you expect from them.

Hope I did not ramble too long.

DaveV ....

View my Photos
Troy

2000-12-02          22077

thanks guys, good points. I thought a Hydrostatic trannie would be the better choice due to ease of use. What is the reason for choosing the Wet clutch style trans? is it more durable? more capable with lower gears ?
I don't plan on performing major work with my future tractor, I intend on catering to the "smaller" guys. But I want it to perform well all around with maybe the occasional extreme task or two. I would assume snow blowing is fairly hard on the machine as well. right?
thanks again
Troy. ....

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-12-03          22087

Troy,

For what you described as your use I would get the HST trannie. The wet clutch would be better if you were going to have very heavy loads on the trannie for extended periods of time, such as plowing.

Regarding your question about snow blowing, I don't have a snow blower for my TC40D but have a walk behind snow blower. Based on how well that unit performs (8hp and 24" width) if you had a 72" inch blower it would only need 24 pto hp. Of course this can vary depending on the height of snow the blower can handle, how far the second stage blower is designed to throw, and how fast you would like to go. If you tend to have wet snow vs dry snow that will also make for a heavier load.

DaveV ....

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm

2000-12-05          22144

Buy a JD4600/4700 (either one) with the PowerReverser Tranny, a 48 backhoe and a big trailer to haul it. Don't forget to price liability insurance before you embark on this endeavor, especially with a backhoe..it can be pretty expensive and will be required if you are doing professional/commercial work. Figure on around 35K for a package price. I have a 4600 equipped like this and would also in fairness tell you to check out the Kubota L-48 Tractor Loader Backhoe, which is also a nice rig........ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login