Go Bottom Go Bottom

What to get JD445 JD4100 or wait for new JD BX clone

View my Photos
Steer Hog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-03          21197

We have a GT275 w/48" deck that is too small. We mow about 3 acres of residential grass and need something tougher for all the bumps. Got quote of $7950 for JD 445 w/54" deck plus another $900 for front blade setup. Got quote of $12500 for 4100HST, DSCV with 54" deck. We also have 350 foot driveway that needs snow removal. The 6 trees on the property would allow the 445 to get under fruit trees but not the 4100 with ROPS for close mowing. Part of the property has about 15 degree slope which might favor the 445 for safety. We like to ride tractors not push mow. The 4100 seems a little big and costly. What model would you go with or should we wait till JD comes out with their unannounced new 400 series (a Kubota BX style next spring?). We are leaning toward waiting since mowing season is about over. Your view?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-11-03          21202

Like you, I am wanting to get a new mower for next year. I have been looking at ZTRs but I may end up with a riding tractor with a deck. If I bought today I would probably end up with a Grasshopper ZTR with a 5' deck but I am waiting to see both the new Kubota ZTR and the new JDs and see how they are priced. I have a JD4300 and it does heavy stuff really well but it is a little big for mowing up close to the house and around my trees. I am mowing a couple of acres now and plan on expanding my yard next year so whatever I get, I would like for it to mow faster than my current mower. I am going to keep shopping this winter and see if I can get one a little cheaper but I'm not going to hurry. SHort version of the above: I plan to wait unless a really good deal comes along. ....

View my Photos
Mickey Latour

2000-11-05          21248

Testing my password first! ....

View my Photos
Mickey Latour

2000-11-05          21249

I have owned both, 445 and the 4100, so I can share with you my views on these two machines. The 445 is a awesome cutting machine and I do miss my 445, but the 4100 lends itself to many more task. I too have slopes in my yard greater than 15 degrees and the 445 was not able to handle the hills for it would either loose traction going up or slide down while driving down the hill and made for some uncomfortable cutting. Also, I tried a loader on my 445 and it really can't handle it very effectively (i.e., lost traction or unable to lift moderate piles of stuff). That's when I decided to get a 4100! The 4100 will cut very well with the diesel engine and is capable of doing tons of work with the loader or any 3pt attachement. Hence, my recommendation to you would be to evaluate what you want to do and if it includes some 3pt applications and loader capabilities then the decision is clearly the 4100. If your only interested in cutting grass, then I would favor the 445. ....

View my Photos
David Wells

2000-11-12          21429

I think M. Latour's last message holds the key - try to determine as closely as possible what you'll use the machine for. I went through the same question, i.e. JD445 vs JD4100, and opted for the 4100. I'm very glad I went with the 4100 for the following: (1) 4-wheel Drive. Having 4-Wheel drive, especially when mowing on a slope, makes all the difference in the world. Even though both tractors have a Diff. Lock, 4-Wheel drive is a much better feature. (2)Better hydraulics - altho the 445 does have a 3-pt hitch available, the hydraulics on the 445 are not strong enough to power both front and rear implements at the same time, so a valve (located under seat, I believe) is opened or closed to direct hyd. to front or back. I originally liked the 445 more, because of the gas engine with efi, but after having owned the diesel for a short while (5 months / approx. 100 hours) I appreciate what the diesel does - provides lot's of torque at low RPM. I think the 4100 is much more useful as an all-around tractor - I have several implements, and am constantly amazed at what can be done with the 4100. I originally bought mine for mowing, snowblowing, and sweeping a paved driveway. I did get the loader, because I wanted to retire a manual wheelbarrow, and I'm totally pleased with it. I also got the forklift attachment for the loader, and I'd highly recomend that - in fact, it's more useful generally than the loader, unless you are moving soil or something loose like that. I've found the forklift great for moving brush piles, etc. Good luck in your search. ....

View my Photos
Steer Hog

2000-11-14          21510

Sure like the comments. Right now we only need to move snow and mow grass. Looked at the specs again and 4100 is a lot more tractor ...also... if we bought the 445 and our needs increased then we would have to trade up again. Without a recount it is lookin like more votes for the 4100. Does anyone else out there think the rumor about "new JD 400 series with 4wd" is worth believing and waiting till early Spring 2001 ? Is Deere capable of delivering a good product the first year out the gate to compete with the Kubota BX series ? ....

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-11-14          21512

I was told in November of 1999 that the new 400 series was due out in the spring of 2000. When I checked back this spring I was told that after all the problems JD had with the 4000 series they had decided to delay until the spring of 2001. The dealers should know by now as JD just had there fall meeting with dealers. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-11-14          21515

The 4100 is my vote. But like the guys keep saying, the 400 and the 4000 are two different types of machine. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-15          21520

Clones are just what they are just a clone. By the real thing! ....

View my Photos
Steer Hog

2000-11-16          21565

If there are any JD dealers out there, tell us about the fall conference. How about just some news from someone who visited a dealer or was able to get some 2nd or 3rd hand info. Maybe a photo. We are listening. Just from the postings on this board there are people out there who are not waiting. They are buying the real thing, not a clone but a Kubota BX and seem to be loving it. After looking at the BX, it looks like a nice compromise. 4wd, no slip on slopes, and lower ROPS height than the 4100 which may allow passage closer to the trees, this could be usefull. No cost info yet - anybody price these machines out side by side. Let's hear some comments on this with respect to the original needs listed. ....

View my Photos
Mickey Latour

2000-11-18          21583

I too was evaluating small compacts and found a "good deal" on a Kubota BX1800. The machine was very capable of doing all my grass cutting chores, but I found it be very challenging to hook-up 3 pt implements. That is, the machine comes with a Category 1, 3pt., but from my experience it was very difficult to attach a bush hog cutter or rear blade. Also, I found the hydro to be a little odd at times; that is, from time-to-time the machine would continue to move forward even though you lifted off the forward motion. In short, it acted like a part time cruise control, which I found unconfortable. I have found the hydro motion to be similar on other tractors, while visiting other Kubota discussion groups. As for strength and reliability, I sure the machine would have preformed very well; however, I sold my BX1800 with less than 20 hours for a 4100 John Deere. I decided to switch to Deere for a number of reasons: a)I love to attend old tractor shows and the level of pride exhibited in some older folks with their Deere tractors tells me there is something to these green machine; and b) In my view, the hydro mechanics (stopping and starting) and 3 pt. attachment assembly are easier to use in the 4100. There is no question, you will spend more money for a Deere, but I have yet to find anything to complain about on my 4100. In fact, I could have lived with the little "challenges" of my Kubota, but for me, I didn't mind spending the extra money for a Deere for the reasons stated above. As for the Kubota, I'm confident it will last and perform well over a long period of time for they are known to be reliable and durable. ....

View my Photos
Steve S.

2000-11-19          21616

BX2200 was nearly $2000 less than JD4100 4x4 hydro-tractor w/60" belly mower & 60" power angle front blade. I wanted the 4WD for steep slopes & getting around in winter so the 400 series Deere was out of the question without 4WD. We use the tractor primarily for mowing so we also liked the smaller profile of the BX. The JD foot hydro-pedals are nice; the JD dealer also pointed out the slightly heavier 3pt capacity & bigger hydraulic pump on the JD. These things weren't $2000 important to me. In fact I like the lower profile (easy on/off) of the BX. The 3pt arms are stiff until the paint is worn off the knuckles but it works just fine. The BX mower is fantastic...I have to negotiate with my wife, who does most of the mowing, in order to use it. I recently mowed a 1/2 acre field of grass/weeds that hadn't been mowed all year (the old MTD couldn't touch it). The BX chewed up & spit out grass by the bushel barrel. As long as I avoid the small trees I may not even need a 3pt rotary brush mower-the belly mower works just fine. My choice was the BX based on price & so far it appears to be a very well-built piece of equipment that I'm very satisfied with. I just took the money I saved & bought a new aluminum trailer. ....

View my Photos
Steer Hog

2000-11-29          21950

Tried out the Kubota BX and JD 455 a while ago. I recall the 455 having a fair amount of vibration from the powerful diesel motor. Kinda felt like sitting on a massage chair. The Kubota seemed to be more solid probably because of the extra weight. Does anyone know how the turn radius compares on the BX, 455 and 4100. I have the literature but not sure if it is an apples for apples comparison. The JD club at Yahoo is starting to talk about a "New 400" series. It would be nice if JD would let us in on some detail. Are they afraid the competition might use their ideas or is it because they do not want to risk current sales. I think they risk future sales and market presence by not getting the info out. Products like the Kubota BX start to take a bite out of market share. Intel and Microsoft continue to get info out on upcoming products and it does not seem to hurt sales of their current products. JD should take a lesson and get their marketing in gear. Do you think they should get the word out ? ....

View my Photos
Mickey Latour

2000-11-29          21953

In regards to your question about turning radius, I don't know about the 455, but I have cut with a 445, BX and 4100 and in my view, the 445 which is same size as the 455 turns equal to the BX (assuming you don't have it in 4-wheel drive). As for the 4100 it takes a little more space, but it's something not to discount it's ability to manuver. From my experience, the BX and especially the 4100 limit you on trees, because they won't allow you to mow under limbs very well.

On the other subject, John Deere carefully evaluates their products and in doing so, I'm sure they have someone watching these discussion groups finding out what we, the consumers like and dislike and are carefully finalizing a new tractor. The 400 series is well overdo for a major change, so it's very likely it will appear soon, but I don't have any facts on that. Hence, I think they are playing the game correctly by allowing others to show their hand (BX and otherwise) before they turn out a product which they can claim outperforms all the rest. Again, this is just my view. ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-11-30          21964

I agree with Micky on a few points but respectfully disagree on one. The 400 series is due for a change since the first models arrived in 1992. But the big change I see with John Deere in the inability to evaluate what the customer wants/needs and getting the tractor to the production line in a reasonable time. In 1983 Deere blew away the competition in the lawn and garden class with the production of the 318 and 420. In 1985 they introducted the 430 the first garden tractor with a liquied cooled diesel. These tractors were the first with a true high quality power steering system. In my opinion this feature, perhaps more than any other, is what drove the sales "through the roof". Ask any Deere dealer about their sales in the 80s of these tractors. There was little competition. Finally, some of the other manufacturers jumped on board and instaled power steering. But this feature was new to the garden tractor class and the customer loved it. In 1986 Deere scored again with the 655-855 and in 1989 with the 955. Again, little competition in the size tractor. No one else offered the comfort, handling and the big feature of implement compatibility/change over. You could install the loader in 3 minutes and leave the belly mower on. You could also add the tiller with this combo. It all worked together. Again, tremendous sales with this tractor. Deere knew what the customer was looking for and beat the competition. Those were the good old days. Now, Deere tries to play catch up. As good as the 55 series tractors were it was time for some improvements. Turning radius needed some improvement along with more power and greater hydraulic capacity. Creature comforts like tilt steering and better seat suspension had to be included. But rather than John Deere taking the lead they waited until NewHolland releases the Boomer line. Ford/New Holland offered similar power had improved in the areas that Deere needed. Their Supersteer MFWD axle was much better than what Deere offered. 2 years after the Boomer arrived the new 4000 tractors are produced. There are some improvements over the 55 series but the poor MFWD axle design tarnished what should have been a giant leap to the front of the line. But again, Deere was late. John Deere has had a great reputation of being the leader. Not so anymore. They still build good products, but perhaps not the best anymore. I suspect that the corporate structure and the constant pressure to maximize profits and stock prices limits the companies ability to put money into new products. But if Kubota has figured out that the customer wants a tractor in the sub-compact size with 4 wheel drive how is it that Deere has not. I believe there are thousands of customers waiting for Deere to introduce the replacement for the 400 series garden tractors. But with Deere sitting back and waiting to see what the competition does I believe that you will begin to see 425s, 445s, and 455 John Deeres on the trade in lots at Kubota dealers. Please forgive me for this lengthy post. I am just a dedicated Deere customer who is a bit disappointed and frustrated with the direction the company is going. ....

View my Photos
Steer Hog

2000-12-01          22045

As much as I like Deere products and their tradition, Deere must feel their backs up against the wall. If Deere continues to stand by and watch the competition sell their products then it would seem they would always be playing catchup and not a market innovator. Computer aided design systems allow manufacturers to speed up the product cycle but it still requires time to get everything just right...hence a great opportunity for Kubota and New Holland to get innovative products out the door while Deere looks on and maybe goes back to the drawing board to see how they can do just a little better. Based on numerous postings, a growing number of folks are finding satisfaction with the competition for good reasons. Deere is in need of some progressive marketing and engineering tactics to help stop the flow of consumers to the competition. Since mowing season is over I have decided to wait a couple months before making a final tractor choice. The Kubota is looking quite good (except for the ROPS which can get in the way of trees and make me get out my hand mower, yuk.). This should give me time to look at the TC18 and TC21. Anyone out there with experience on these units? Thanks to Terry for reminding me about the Deere 55 series. I recall the 655 being discontinued not long after it was introduced. It's physical size reminds me of the Kubota BX. Any ideas as to why it was discontinued? ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-12-02          22051

Unless you just want to mow grass, by all means buy a real compact tractor, even if it's a used model. The durability, performance and VERSATILITY of the compacts (any compact) cannot be matched by a top of the line garden trator. Garden tractors are always shown in sales literature with many available attachments. But performance is weak and the cost of these proprietary attachments is very high. With a category 1 3point hitch, you can buy a mind-boggling number of attachments from many sources and they will all perform on your compact. Also from a cost viewpoint, compacts will hold good value and utility for decades, long after the garden tractor is junk. I have a JD4100 and it was my first upgrade from the garden tractor. No comparison. Its a good homeowner's size compact with lots more ability than you could imagine. I would not hesitate to also shop the other brands, particularly the Kubota B-7500, or New Holland TC 18 or 21. ....

View my Photos
Chris Hoffman

2000-12-15          22498

I had an MTD lawn tractor, then an AYP garden tractor (20hp gas, 50" cut,hydro xmission). I kept tearing up the deck and belts. I have 8 acres and use the tractor to mow, bush hog, move trailers, scrape a gravel driveway. I went to my JD dealer and was looking at their biggest garden tractor. My second choice was a 4100HST. The cost of the 4100 wasn't that much more than the garden tractor, but it sure does a lot more! And I can't tell you how glad I am that I moved up to the 4100. There isn't much I can't do with it. I kept the other two for close-in mowing if necessary. Try not to use 4WD on your lawn. It eats up the turf when you turn! You don't know what a comfortable ride is until you move up to a compact from a garden tractor. I have some steep slopes, tight spaces and lots of tree limbs to negotiate. The only problem with the ROPS around trees is that it catches branches you can push out of the way with your hands, only to hit you in the back of the head with them. Happy mowing! ....

View my Photos
Steer Hog

2000-12-17          22553

To make the most of opportunities I am beginning to read more about the TC18/21. Am interested in a mid mound New Holland mower deck for it unless someone can make a case for an aftermarket deck. How easy/hard is it to put on and off from the TC18 ? What does it take to do it. Is it as easy and rugged as the JD 4100 deck ? ....

View my Photos
Dave Hathaway

2000-12-26          22861

have had a 445 for 2 yrs. it has 54 deck.not sure of your price because mine has 3pt hitch and hydro reliefe valve and ag tires.i was mowing about 4 acres and had no complaints with it.also used it with a 45 inch loader and 4 ft box.had a lot of hills and bumps. i would make same choice again, but have mo
ved to 10+ acres,so i may look at the 4100.good luck. p.s. consider the 60 in deck. ....

View my Photos
J.Williams

2001-01-28          23763

I am not sure why there are so many posts regarding JD tractors on a page for Kubota BX. If you want a clunky JD go get one but I like my BX2200 a great deal. It is perfect for homeowners with small acerage. We spend most of it's use mowing but the box blade and front loader or exceptionally useful for maintenance. I also have a seed spreader and chain type harrow. It has tremendous power and reserve power and manuvers well in close quaters and with it's low profile feels stable even on hillsides. A B2400 is what I wanted but I am so glad my wife talked me into the BX, the 2400 was too big for our needs and the clunky ugly green JD's are even less suitable besides being way to big physically. Kubota, with one giant leap, created a whole new market for tractors and left JD sucking dust as usual. Why wait for some half baked JD attempt at producing a clone tractor for a market they did not even know existed when you could buy the real thing---a KUBOTA. Kubota is not just as good as a Deere, it is better. If I ever buy a farm and need a combine maybe I will consider a Deere but for homeowners needing a versatile machine the BX is here and now and it is the real McCoy. I named mine the DeereKiller. My neighbor's dad is a JD dealer of some sort, you shoulda seen their faces drop when the Kubota showed up, sweat popped out all over. I could scoop his little JD lawn mower tractor up in my front loader and dump it in the dich out back effortlessly. There is no comparison, especially at the price and capability the BX offers and besides it looks awefully nice sitting beside my Tundra. JR, Kubota proud ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-01-29          23777

Glad you like the BX. I think that Kubota builds an excellent tractor. If JD has really missed the boat then maybe they will just buy up the product line, paint them green, and market them as JDs.....Don't laugh, they've done it before. It did well for them, too. And they aren't the only company to do this. Given the high cost of developing a new product from scratch, this tactic can work out pretty well for a company. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-01-31          23830

I face the same thing regarding size. We have a house and a nearby camp--both are nearly 2 acres. My wife thinks my Ford 1710 is too big and gets in the way at the house, and I do mow with a riding mower, because the 1710 would take too long maneuvering around landscaping. However, I needed a backhoe when I bought the tractor, and hoes that can trench 5'+ aren't great on a small tractor. I also found that it's very handy to be able to lift 1000#+ on my pallet forks.

The BX sounds like a great tractor for the uses described I defended the BX, because his main interest was mowing. I have to drive carefully on the lawn with my 1710 for a few days after rains, and I wouldn’t have that trouble with a BX. One thing to keep in mind about the BX is that it has a CAT 1 hitch, but the arms are spaced closer than most. Some CAT 1 implements won't fit on a BX.

It's also a good thing to keep in mind that many peoples' tractoring keeps growing. We’re trying to lease 14 acres of river front flood plane from a utility. If we get it, we'll have to take down a bunch of widow makers the beavers have made--I'll need the 1710. I can't imagine what it's like to be a beaver. Spend all that time chewing down a 14" poplar for dinner and then have it hang up instead of falling down.

View my Photos
JonB

2001-02-02          23862

I was somewhat surprised by J.Williams response--nor was I aware this was a BX page. My gorgeous green 4100 is a terrific machine. Like the other happy Deere owners, mine has worked flawlessly since day one. I'm still amazed at how easy it operates and how easy it does everything from tilling to drilling, scraping, mowing and loading. I wouldn't trade it for orange, blue, red or any other color. That's not to say I'm not happy for your pride in orange. Yours may be a deerekiller, but my Deere runs just fine, thank you. ....

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-02          23870

Boy, a lot of you guys sure get pissy about a little paint color or brand name. Deere, New Holland, Kubota, and a bunch of other companies make great tractors. I have stock in Deere, plan on buying some in Case/New Holland, and bought a Kubota B2710 because it was perfect for my needs. I think the BX series is fantastic for breaking new ground, the 4100 is a great little compact too, and I love my Kubota. Deere is a great company, with good management and a competent board of directors. That doesn't mean they'll always have the best product on the market. My Kubota isn't a "Deere Killer", and I think I'd only refer to it as one if I had an inferiority complex for not buying green. It was and is a better tractor for me, but a 4300, my second choice, could pick it up and drop it in my pond. It might also get stuck in all my muc back there. SZ started this thread, and hopefully will buy that machine that best suits his needs, not that best matches his preferred color scheme. All of us who own these little tractors have learned that there are advantages and disadvantages to each of them. Noboby seems to have mentioned that having a great dealer, with a competent service staff is incredibly important.
SZ, go drive each machine. Get several price quotes. Walk around your property and figure everything you'll need to do. Then get something that can do a bit more than you need. BX2200, B7500, Deere 4100, NH TC21 or anything else available from a good local dealer, if you buy a good machine that works for you, you'll love it. And if you've gotta go green, go green. They sure are pretty.
Todd ....

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-02          23873

Sorry steer hog, meant to type SH, not SZ. ....

View my Photos
J.Williams

2001-02-02          23880

Well, I cannot see how you do not understand this particular page is for the Kubota BX and not some JD product when to get here I had to click first on Kubota and then BX. There seems to be a site for JD discussions so I just wonder why you hold that JD discussion on the Kubota BX page unless it is intended to run the Kubota BX down which seems to be what much of this page is all about. Again, if JD is the interest then why not go to the JD page? Strange that several JD owners belittle the Kubota but when a Kubota owner does tire of taking it and gives some back it is such an offense. Sooo, can we talk Kubota BX here and leave the JD stuff to the sites intended for it. In flying when you talk over another pilot it is called being "stepped on", so why is it that the JD guys are "stepping on" Kubota discussion, why? If you do not like my post I am sorry, I have my opinion and you can have yours, please have it at the JD site. Oh, and the Deerekiller seems appropriate to me, like David and the Giant, some great things come in small packages, especially when that package is a lovely orange. Did not know there was a Kubota hate group out there in green fatigues. JR ....

View my Photos
DavidV

2001-02-02          23884

JWilliam,

Many of us who use this board view messages under the "Last 24 hours" option that shows all messages regardless of group. We all have different needs, opinions, and color preferences that make different machines the best for any particular person. Its great that you like your Deerekiller but that does not give you the right to belittle the investment that someone else has made or is about to make. We are all here to share what we have learned and to learn from other's experiences.

DaveV ....

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-02          23885

Hey J.,
Nobody here said anything bad about Kubota's until your post, and even then comments were pretty fair. I don't know why this is listed under the Kubota BX site. I got here looking at the recent posts. I love my Kubota, and $ for $ would put it up against the 4100, but it might be too big for maneuvering around Steer Hogs property. For me it was the right machine. Steer Hog who started this thread seemed impressed by the BX series, but was thinking he might need something bigger. If you don't think the thread belongs under the BX area, write the web master. The discussion seems positive, with nothing bad being said about kubota. And hey, JD is an American company, we're all allowed to root for them a bit. Even Kubota owners like me. ....

View my Photos
Tom Lucent

2001-02-02          23889

Yes Tod is rite, why bash everyone? I love my BX but also like all the info on other brands. I thaought this was general discussion. I have seen your name on other forums and J you are a troll, so go pedal the plastic tractor daddy bought for you. TL ....

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-02          23890

I was wondering if you had looked at JOHN DEERE's 790 with a 3 pt rear mower . I use this set up to cut my grass on hills over 15 degrees and swing the back end around to beaver tail under trees with out hitting the rop bars .It lists for $10.995 with 4 wd and power steering and live clutch. It does not come in hydro drive but is alot of tractor for the dollar.I also have the 70 front end loader and 7 backhoe ,and they work great for landscape work! ....

View my Photos
Steer Hog

2001-02-02          23895

I like to hear from you all - good and bad points - facts are great, opinions are nice but an explanation would help in understanding. If something is "clunky", say what is clunky about it and why. I really like the bang for the buck in a JD 790. I think it weighs over a ton with no attachments (more than solid in my book) but the ROPS may be taller than a 4100 - anybody have measurements? Certainly would not need to roll the lawn. Does Jim use turfs to limit scuff? What is a live clutch? Does a BX, TC18/21 or 4100 have a live clutch? Would anyone choose a gear 4100, why? A few threads ago I wanted to hear how easy it is to take a mid mount deck on/off a TC18, anyone have experience? I don't think the dealer will let me take a wrench to one of his new units just to find out. Most folks seems to be shying away from the 445 option that Dave Hathaway liked, why? ....

View my Photos
Steer Hog

2001-02-02          23896

Anyone hear how much longer before JD releases a BX size unit to compare against? ....

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-02          23897

You shouldn't need a wrench Steer Hog, so I'll bet you most dealers will let you take a deck off and put it on. But maybe not until the snow melts and it's not such a messy job to get under the tractor. Once you settle on one or two models, you might also ask the dealers to drive them out to your property so you can see how it handles. This is a big purchase, you'll be surprised what the dealers are willing to do. Also, just from curiosity, does anyone know what a Steiner 525 costs. They have 4wd, an articulated frame, a 23.5hp kubota diesel engine, and front mount mowers and snow thrower. Granted you're locked into Steiner implements, but that little machine looks like a really cool toy, and I'll bet it turns tighter than a Boomer with super steer. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-02-02          23898

Steerhog, I use R-4 tires on my JD4100 tractor. I don't have any lawn scuffing problem. But, if I drive across the lawn during spring thaw, I will surely put big ruts in the lawn, so I don't do that. Otherwise during warm summer weather, the R-4's have been fine. Don't get AG tires though if you need to use it on the lawn. A live PTO means that the PTO will not stop turning whenever you push in the clutch. A transmission over-ridden clutch will stop the PTO whenever the clutch is engaged. The 4100 gear model doesn't have a live clutch, but the hydrostat does. Why would anyone buy a gear tractor? Well mine was $2000 less that the hydro model. It is a little less convieniant when mowing around obstacles or anytime you need to change direction while mowing. For mowing large areas, it really makes no difference at all. Is the hydro more handy -yes. Would I like one-yes, but it wasn't worth $2000 to me. I get along fine with the gear model. There is an easy solution to your tree height problem -just order folding rops on your tractor, fold it down whenever you need clearance, and drive carefully. Why do most people shy away from the JD445? Read my original posting again. A garden tractor is really just an expensive mower and is not VERSATILE like a 4wd compact diesel tractor. It will depreciate far more, and will not give you the years of service that a compact will. I wouldn't go any smaller than a BX for any purchase. Keep in mind that if you want to use your 3 point hitch, that the JD4100 and TC-18/21 have position control on the 3 point and the BX and B-7500 Kubotas do not. Just try them out to see what a worthwhile thing position control is for using implements ....

View my Photos
RV

2001-02-02          23899

I recently spoke to a Deere dealer while purchasing a seed spreader for my BX. He told me the BX was a run away succes for Kubota and he was crippled with nothing to offer against it. I had the tank leaking problem, just as I went into the house to call my dealer about it he called me--when he heard it was leaking he was there in 30 minutes and fixed it. When Kubota came out with a new part he came back to my house and replaced that for free. There was an upgrade to the PTO I think it was, he picked my unit up, washed it, cleaned it, changed all fluids, did the modification, sharpened and balanced my blades and returned it to me in three days---For Free, for the inconveniance! Talk about service! I just joined this list and have been reading the posts over the last several days, interesting group. My tractor now has a solid year of use and I am happy with the unit, virtually perfect and ideal for homeowner use, better than a garden type tractor but not as big as the larger compacts--just right. I could not help but notice a definite bias in this discussion. I assume JD stands for John Deere? For the money I think the Kubota BX is going to be hard to beat for the casual/residential tractor user. Talk about mowing grass, that sucker gets down and mows and even with the lug type tires I have it does not ruin my lawn. I think I will get the turf type wheel tire set also though. What does Cub Cadet have that is similar--just curious? TresCrows (three crows live in my backyard) ....

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-02          23900

Here's some more information on the JOHN DEERE 790 ,I use R4 tires on mine and it hasn't damaged the lawn yet. Using the rear mower makes removal for grader blade,tiller,backhoe,boom,ect,ect, A real easy job. The live clutch allows you to change gears from foward to reverse or higher gear by pushing the clutch half way in and still have your pto running up at speed and load. If you push the clutch all the way down it stops both pto and gear movement, It's a nice feature.I will let you know the height of the rops tomarrow my closest guess is around 7' with R4 tires. The weight of the 790 4 wd is 2150 dry. It has more lift capability than the 4100 and 25 pto horse power to drive most attachments. It doesn't have a cup holder like the 4000 series tractors do but for the money you save and its a great tractor I still think its the best tractor in its dollar class. Check out jplan.com tractor site it will give you some great comparision over the different models and what there owners rate them! ....

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-03          23929

The ROPS height on a JOHN DEERE 790 With R4 tires is 79" . I Hope this helps! ....

View my Photos
Stan_McC

2001-11-24          33391

I work for a Deere dealer, and in the past, worked for a dealer that handled Deere & Kubota. Like the old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time." Each person has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to tractors and we need to accept that. I'll admit I'm partial to Deere (worked almost 20 years on JD L&G) but I'll also be the first to admit that the Kubota BX has its' niche market place. Past experience has shown Deere has a better product support network but both companies build good products.

With all this said, I'm in the market for a tractor like the Kubota BX but don't want the large size of the Deere 4100. My problem is that I need a tractor NOW, not when Deere starts production of the new "X" series tractors in mid-March of 2002. I've only seen pictures of the new "X" series Deere and it looks similar to the BX. From what I was told by one of our salesmen, Deere realizes that the "X" series and the 4100 aren't the answer to the Kubota BX series. Supposedly, there are more new models coming, even after Deere has revised the 4100 and is introducing a 4010 compact utility. I've been quoted a price of $12,099.00 for a BX2200 with bar tires, 54 mower deck, and a front loader. After looking at the BX, even a die hard JD man such as myself has to take a serious look at the Kubota BX. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login