Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
LEE STEVENS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-22          14064

I am currently caught between the idea of buying a JD 790 or a Kubota L2500. Both with loader..I can get the price within $500 of each other. I will be mowing 5 acres with some light loader work. Any suggestions??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Gary

2000-03-22          14071

Do you plan on removing the loader? The John Deere loader comes off in about 2 minutes without the use of any tools. I believe it's much easier than the Kubota. Also, the $500 difference is nothing, considering that the John Deere will have a much greater value after 5 or 10 years. You may think now that you are keeping it forever, but, you never know, you may want to trade it in sometime. Or if you just decide to sell it and not trade it in, you will have people standing in line to buy it. There is a very good market out there for used John Deere Compact tractors. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-03-23          14080

I looked at both of these machines. Two different dealers that carried both lines steered me toward the 790 over the L2500, for what it's worth.

Darryl ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
judd

2000-12-29          22905

How are you getting along with the 790> ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-29          22911

Gary where did you find that deere has better resale value than the Kubota's? Just looking at the literature to compare the two Kubota has to it's advantage larger tires, larger lift capacity on three point, larger ground clearence and more weight, the drive for the front axle is straight with no u-joints and the Kubota has wet brake's vs dry for longer life, the Kubota has over running clutches on the pto so it is easier to shift with the mower or tiller on. The loader on the kubota lifts more and does it higher by more than a foot. I won't get into the rest of the benefits of the Kubota because they are small pluses compared to the work performance differences I've mentioned. Those dealers have to sell the 790's they have in stock as well as the Kubota's and they will find someone to buy them. Quota's Quota's Quota's. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Randy Eckard

2000-12-30          22921

I always enjoy the unbiased postings of dealers on this page.
Overrunning clutches????????? I think the 790 has live pto!!!!!!!

Drive it, try it and make your own decision. Everyone will twist the specs toward their own preference. The same people will argue on one post that a heavy tracor is better and then argue on another that a lighter tractor is better if it suits their brand preference. It is your money.
Randy ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-30          22923

Randy, I agree with you that everyone should drive and try different makes and models and buy the one he/she likes best. But I, for one, appreciate dealers' participation in the discussions. They've had a lot of experience that most of the rest of us will never get. If you don't agree with something a dealer says, you're welcome to reply and maybe the ensuing discussion will result in all of us learning something. And of course you're right about dealers (and others) recommending more weight for some applications and less for others; depends on what you want to do with the tractor. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Gary Anderson

2000-12-30          22931

I too agree that dealer participation is great no matter what brand is being discused, a lot of valuable information to be had and gained by all. I am sure the dealers are aware of every make out there as they have to take a lot of different ones in on trade. gary ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-30          22934

The dealers on this board have been of great help to me. Art is stating facts that may clarify a misnomer. When I tried to trade my J/D, the dealer from which it was purchased new gave me a very low allowance (for a mint machine). That is why I bought a different brand. Both N/H and Kubota dealers gave me a fair price. I would not buy another J/D simply due to how I was treated. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Gary

2001-01-01          22976

Don't get your panties all bunched up just because one Deere dealer didn't give you what you thought your tractor was worth. Making a judgement about Deere because of one dealer is asinine. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
cutter

2001-01-02          22984

Gary, nothing bunched up, just stating facts. The J/D dealer on the east side of town was more reasonable, but still not close to the allowance of the other two brands, and his 4200 was selling for considerably more than the other brands as well. No problem with the J/D as a machine, just don't find green paint worth all that much more these days when they are all made in Japan anyway. In fact, when I bought the first J/D I had a B7100 to trade and the J/D dealer closest to me (the first of three I tried) had HIS panties all bunched up because I didn't buy from him in the first place and told me to go to another dealer with my Kubota, he didn't want it. Of course this is just MY experience in one state with three different dealers. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Art White

2001-01-02          22985

Boy did I get everyone wound up. Thanks for those of you who do support us on the board. For those who don't appreciate our views I can only think they must know more than we do and don't need our input, for those I'm sorry I offended you. I look at some of the posts and sometimes wonder that a salesperson isn't writing some of them to look favorable to a brand. By that I mean that the posts have some tainted info that is not correct or could be in Bill Clintons best of english "I did not inhale." Unfortunatly while waiting for Hillary he stood next to the exhaust fan for the rooms she was smoking in with her freinds for hours on end. The effect was the same but! ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Ted-J

2001-01-03          23047

Very interesting reading. I have found that different salesmen at the same place will give diferent quotes.Once you determine your choice, it becomes a game,and the winner is the most knowledgeable of the two players. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Henry McCreary

2001-01-03          23065

Well I'll give you my biased opinion.... I love my JD 790! I use it for mowing approx. 10 acres and light loader work. No complaints other than the cheap battery terminal connectors! I also agree with the others, test drive both and pick the one you like best. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Gary

2001-01-03          23069

tainted info? who is passing around tainted info??? Art, exactly what is an overrunning clutch, how does it work and why would I want one over a hydraulic clutch? And cutter, the John Deere 4000's are the only compact tractors built in the good ol' USA...that's right...Augusta, Georgia. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Randy Eckard

2001-01-04          23070

Art,
First, my posts are always meant to be laced with some humor, if you knew me you would understand. I also didn't intend offense to be taken. To me it is somewhat humorous for a dealer of a brand to post when someone is asking which of two tractors are better. You, of course, are going to lean toward Kubota and a JD dealer will lean toword JD. To do otherwise would be like pulling a Barney Fife and shooting yourself in the foot. The point of my first post was only to say that when someone asks the question of which is better they need to understand loyalties of the person who is replying, including myself. I have seen many very helpful posts from you in the past and hope you continue your contributions. Hopefully little wiser now, Randy Eckard. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
Art White

2001-01-04          23073

I'll take a little on both sides here, I do enjoy what I do and being able to help people. Often I find even with the companies I work with that the advertising they do can be misleading. Not all are high on the tales but some are close to promising the sun,the moon, and a few bright stars all at the same time. Just picking up on what Gary said, does JD build the whole tractors in Georgia or just assemble them there? Resale is another point, in my area many dealers when trading work from retail to come up with huge allowances instead of working from a cash outright number or a more realistic price to begin with. I've heard it many times that if you will give me the same allowance as the other dealer I'll buy it, only to find that I could buy that unit all day long for thousands less. It is the bottom line that counts not what it takes to get there. On the questions of the PTO operation put a 5' or 6'cutter on them and try and shift the gears. See or I should say listen to the difference in shifting speed with out grating gears. I also learn from the many people on this site as to what makes you want to buy and why. Please before you buy do try all the tractors being considered. Be sure you feel comfortable with the place you are at and with the people who work there. Bast of Luck to all! ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
cutter

2001-01-04          23085

I don't pretend to be an expert on built vs. assembled especially since the parts to build tractors are purchased all over the world, however the 4100 I owned was built in Japan by Yanmar. Possibly the larger ones are made and assembled in total in this country but I highly doubt it. In defense of that, you should get the best of everything if the company did it's homework. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
TomG

2001-01-05          23093

An overrunning PTO clutch is a device that allows the PTO output shaft to turn faster than it's being driven by the engine. The clutch comes into play when using something like a big rotary cutter. There is a lot of inertia in the cutter blades. If the engine rpm is cut, to slow down or stop for example, the cutter is still turning at PTO speed. Without a clutch, the cutter will tend to keep driving the tractor forward. Shifting also would be hard for the same reason. A clutch probably is more important on a gear tractor than a HST tractor. ....

JD 790 vs Kubota L2500

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-01-05          23098

JD4100 is built by Yanmar in Japan. JD4200-4700 is assembled in Georgia with components from all over: engine is Yanmar from Japan but we know that the infamous front axle was sourced right here in the USA by Dana corporation. I don't know exactly what is sourced where on these tractors, but it is certainly an accurate statement that the JD4200-4700 has a heck of a lot more US content and labor, whether in component manufacture or assembly, than any of the major compact utility tractor competitors. So now patriotic economics vs. perceived quality enters the picture... have at it! (PS - all my car and truck purchases for the last 20 years have been Toyota or Honda, but my tractor is a JD4400. Go figure.) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login