Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Vs Gas compact Tractors

View my Photos
William L. lutz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-18          13895

The more I read, the more confused I get. I have 5 ac. and am looking for a compact tractor. Which manufacture/model do you recommend? Should I buy a diesel or gas engine? what are the advantage of each and what experience do you have in either one?Your help is needed!!Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-18          13896

William, Are you actually looking for a "compact tractor" or a "lawn and garden tractor"? There are a lot of older tractors, both compact and larger, that are gasoline powered (especially the old Farmalls and Fords in my area), but I think you might have a hard time finding a new, true compact tractor (category I 3-point hitch and PTO) that isn't diesel. I've had a little experience with a wide variety and I really don't have anything against gasoline tractors, but like most folks, prefer diesel. Horsepower ratings can really be deceptive and confusing for lots of folks (myself included), but if you compare a 20hp gasoline and 20hp diesel, you'll probably find the diesel to seem much more powerful. The diesel has more torque. Gasoline engines cost less, diesel engines last longer, fuel costs for diesel are usually lower. The diesel engine may hold more oil and need more frequent oil changes, but otherwise, I think maintenance costs will be lower on the diesel. If you're looking primarily for a riding lawnmower, a gas powered one will be a lot cheaper, but the diesel will last a lot longer, and of course, resale value should be higher. I don't know whether this is much help, or whether anyone will disagree, but if you have any more specific questions, I'll try to help. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-18          13900

William, what we commonly call "compact tractors" are all built since about 1975 and are all diesels. They are really a small farm tractor and are complete with all the peripheral systems and heavy construction of their larger cousins. Many have 4wd and you will never see one with a narrow front end (tricycle). Most are made in Japan. Name brands are Kubota, John Deere, New Holland (Ford), Massey Ferguson, Cub Cadet (Mitsibuhi), and Yanmar. The quality is roughly equal.
Before that date there were some small US-made farm tractors and they were generally gasoline engines....Most of these were somewhat larger and heavier, but not quite as versatile as the modern compact tractor. They were called "utility tractors". You will see some with a narrow "tricycle" front end and others with a wide front end. Name brands were International Harvester (I.H.), John Deere, Ford 8N and 9N, Massey Ferguson, Oliver, and the small Case. These are high quality machines, very collectible, and parts are easy to obtain.
Compact diesels are very reliable, handy, and expensive. The old US utility tractors are favored by collectors and the mechanically-minded. They are much less expensive - maybe 25% of the price - and will do the same work but are not nearly as handy and require more fussing.
Right now I own two of the compacts and one of the US models. I've owned a few different ones in the last 25 years.
Just to be complete I ought to say that there is a third category composed over-sized lawn and gardern tractors which use small universal type gasoline engines. These are produced mainly in the US - since the 1950s that I know of. They are primarily mowing machines, not pulling machines....so they don't really fit either tractor group above.
Hope that this is helpful. Roger

View my Photos
TomG

2000-03-19          13904

Good idea to keep reading as long as you can--especially the safety discussions. It gets confusing and then a little clearer. I was in your exact situation last summer. It's a very good thing to have people like Bird, Roger and others who spend the time to share their experience and expertise.

I'm still a tractor novice. However, I've gotten some work done without damaging myself or anything else. The tractor still runs, and I'm not bankrupt. I'm also still reading a lot. ....

View my Photos
PaulB

2000-03-19          13906

Try this link. I hope I get it right. If not, it is called the compact tractor frequently asked questions site, and I read every word of it before buying my tractor.
Good luck
PaulB ....

Link:   FAQ

View my Photos
PaulB

2000-03-19          13907

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/kb13/TF_home.htm#anchor440323
this is the site. If for some reason I can not get it to work as an automatic link,you can type it in directly. I will try the link again.
PaulB ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-19          13911

William, All good answers above, and Roger, very good! More comprehensive than my initial response. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login