Go Bottom Go Bottom

Recommended tractor size and type

View my Photos
skeown
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-19          131037

I would like to purchase a very durable tractor or zero-radious type mower to cut 5 to 7 acres. Unfortunately, the terrain is rough (rocks, etc.) in many locations, so, I must often raise and lower the blades, etc. I realize nothing is designed to mow rocks, but, I need something that is best suited to take the occassional and unavoidable punishment from such terrain. I like the finish look, so, a bush hog doesn't seem to be the solution. Any recommendations?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-19          131039

I would recommend that you contact the local dealer of your choice. After the sale service is what you should seek with the type of area you are mowing. Alot of rocks mean a lot of service. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-06-19          131040

Sheep. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-19          131042

Sheep. Good one.

How would be able to tell a finish cut from a rough cut when it comes cutting over rocks and lifting too to avoid damage---which is going to happen with either cutter? You might be looking at a very expensive flail mower, but even that will take some $ for flails. And a zero turn...better buy a kidney belt and keep money aside for new blades, spindles and a deck, not to mention a new frame and casters (depending on the heavy-duty COMMERCIAL model you but, not some ExMark from Home Depot). Even in a 2,000lb. tractor you are going to get the ride of your life. ....

View my Photos
skeown

2006-06-20          131084

I appreciate the responses. However, my quest is to obtain an objective recommendation regarding a type of mowing device that is less susceptible to damage caused by protruding rocks. I fully realize that rocks can, and do damage all mowers of any kind. Nevertheless, my hope is that certain types of mowers are more durable under these circumstances than others, and perhaps are somewhat less costly to repair when damaged. The key word here is "objectivity" since I am not seeking a "local dealer" who simply wants to sell their product. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-20          131086

I suppose you could gather up a herd of kids and pick the rocks.

That's how my grandpa used to do it.

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-06-20          131088

Sorry, I did'nt mean to be a smart alek with my answer of using sheep to mow around and over the rocks. Other than clearing the rocks ahead of the machine like Drankin said I don't think a mower with front yard quality of cut is made by anyone that would stand many rocks. Even the heaviest of bush hog types will soon cost a lot to maintain with lots of rocks. Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-20          131089

SK: Perhaps you're confusing "objectivity" with "r-e-a-l-i-t-y". The reality is you're not going to find a mower in any price range that will withstand the punishment you want to mete out. And nobody's trying to get a sale from this either if you are referring to getting know your dealer. What he meant was--tonque-in-cheek--you will be spending a lot time and money at the dealer for parts regardless of who buy from or what it is---it will be trashed. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-06-20          131090

I'd just bush hog it. No, they won't stand continual mowing of rocks and stumps, but it is the best for the situation you have.

For a 5' bush hog you'll need at least a 25 hp tractor.

As far as the finished look...if you set it up right, a rough cut mower will do an adequate job. I've seen lots of people that cut a big area around their house with a bush hog, then finish mow a small yard. Not a golf course, but still looks fine.

While you're at it, just carry a sledgehammer and pry bar with you when mowing; each time, break off a few rocks, or pry them up and carry them off. In a few seasons you'll have it cleared.

Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-06-20          131091

How large are the rocks that you wish to mow over and how much do they project above the ground? ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-20          131093

not to be a smartass, but I never heard of someone deliberately intending to expose a mower to such abuse. No matter what mower you buy, a metal blade hitting a rock at 540rpm+ will be damaged as well as the spindle and the deck. The most hardy piece of equipment you can use is a heavy-duty bush hog and that too will get ruined sooner rather than later after mowing rocks, necessitating thousands of dollars worth of repairs / replacement costs.

I would take the largest boulders out with a hoe, then rent a power rake to get rid of the smaller stuff. You may spend a few grand in rental fees, but the end result will be an vastly improved property and no future damage to your equipment. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-20          131094

"I suppose you could gather up a herd of kids and pick the rocks.

That's how my grandpa used to do it."

Mark, that was the first paid job I ever had. I think I was 12 years old. After an hour of picking rocks from the field the landowner found out I could drive his Ford 2N pulling a trailer. For the rest of the day I could drive to the areas that needed clearing and wait while my buddies picked the rocks and threw them in the trailer. When it was loaded I drove to the edge of the field so they could unload (I was a hated kid that day).

He was a business owner in town and I worked for him for another 15 years. I guess he liked my work ethic.
Dave ....

View my Photos
skeown

2006-06-20          131095

Good question. The rocks protrude varying heights (2,3,4 or so inches), and many are primarily buried deep and cannot be simply removed or picked-up. The message I seem to get from this forum is rocks and mowers are not a good combination, something of which I was already well aware. I merely wanted suggestions about the most durable (not invincible) mower under these conditions. The bush hog seems to be my best alternative. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-20          131098

One of the problems I see you facing is higher quality/more durable equipment costs more money. So when it finally does take damage that requires repair, you've just wrecked more of your money. If you are evaluating different pieces of equipment, look at the steel thickness of the deck. Thick is typically stronger. Look to see if it has some skids/wheels or a bend that will allow the deck to lift over the rock instead of snaging on the rock. If you snag a rock, you runa high risk of bending the deck, damaging the tractor and hurting yourself (steering wheel to the gut if not wearing a seatbelt, whiplash and seatbelt burn if you do).

Do you have a teenager? My dad's solution would have been to hand me and a buddy safety glasses and sledgehammers. Are the rocks in one area or all spread out? If they are in one area, maybe you could buy some plants and turn it into landscaping that wouldn't require mowing. Or put in some prairie grass and go for that natural/wildlife look.

Otherwise if it's all apread out, not sure what to say. I hate to see you spend money on good equipment that is just going to get wrecked. Maybe keep an eye open for auctions that will let you get used equipment for cheap. Or if the area is small enough, buy loads of dirt and raise the dirt/grass level above the rocks. Lots of work with that option. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-20          131106

We don't have the rocks but the speed that any blade cuts at and rocks seem to be a disaster waiting. The only type of cutter that would work I think would be a mower using the largest diameter string. Don't know they come in a rider style but might. How about a sickle bar mower?

A lot os this depends on your ground.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-20          131108

Boy, about four post hit while typing mine. I think the brand is Brown but go to your tractor dealer and ask. They make a rough cut mower for trees that cost a few thousand that is made for very hard use. It has four or more blades on a very heavy disk that may take the abuse.

If you use any type of rotating cutter or flail mower be sure you are turned from any buildings or roads and keep the children and woman away.

Sheep are not very common here but goats, cows and horses are. Them and flowers or natural areas are not that bad. Another option. plant something that does not need mowing. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-06-20          131111

If they are projecting 2-4 inches and am assuming if driving over them, the tractor/mower will tip slightly if you have 4 inches on one side and none on the other it will scalp the tilt. Using a bush hog doesn't sound good.

I would seriously consider using a landscape rake and clearing the rocks. Otherwise, I would suggest a walk behind DR trimmer. That is a string trimmer style with a bump pad beneath so you don't scalp.

5-7 acres may seem like allot of work. Just remember earlier generations like my fore fathers cleared a 40 acre farm from trees with a hand saw that were 3ft. in diameter and only had horses to pull them away. Then they dug the stumps by hand. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-20          131117

A good 60" deck cutting at good speed would have it cut in just over an hour. To have to mow around rocks will slow you down. The better quality mower blade wouldn't bend as much as a lower quality blade. I'd say if the rocks are within a foot of the surface that a small loader might deal with them and not have to worry. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-20          131118

A good 60" deck cutting at good speed would have it cut in just over an hour. To have to mow around rocks will slow you down. The better quality mower blade wouldn't bend as much as a lower quality blade. I'd say if the rocks are within a foot of the surface that a small loader might deal with them and not have to worry. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-20          131119

This might be what Art was getting at but if a finished cut is necessary, wouldn't it be worth getting a dozer with rock rake in there to work for a day or two and clear them out? The dozer could at least push the rocks loose so that they could be picked up. I just cringe at the thought of constantly hitting big rocks with any type of mower.
Dave ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-20          131122

If removing the rocks is an option I'd either pay someone with a small bobcat (or large) to scoop them out of there, or rent a mini/compact walk-behind skid steer loader (Toro Dingo from Home Depot) with rubber tracks. The other option is cover them with new dirt then seed. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-20          131124

I thought of covering the rocks with new dirt, but he's talking about 5-7 acres and at 3-4 inches of dirt covering 5-7 acres, that dirt would cost a LOT of money. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-20          131128

Skeown
I was telling you the truth in my post like it or not. earthworks got it. If you own land working equipment you will need a dealer that will help you. Even more so if you want to mow rocks. No matter what you buy it will not work for long running into stones, rocks, stumps, curbs, post, it is hard enough to keep it running using it as designed. The dealer will be your best bet for the investment you are about to make. No different than buying a car or any item you want to keep running. You asked and I gave you a good response, that is what we do here when we can. We also try to have a little fun along the way. Hardwood, Sheep, that was good but in GA we call them goats that is what might have thrown him off. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-06-20          131133

Boy, I can see we have divided opinions about this. Probably a reflection of our own experiences. I've got rocks all over my yard that are 2, 3, 4 inches high. I mow it with a 3ph finish mower, and have for 5 years now. Over the years they are getting reduced slowly from breaking them with a sledgehammer, or digging them up with a backhoe, whatever. I would see absolutely no problem with mowing over 4" high rocks with a bush hog. In fact, that is what they are used for around here. Yep, they get beat up. Why, in 10 years or so you'll probably have to do some major repairs. Just set it higher, and go slow. I sure don't have the time, money or inclination to go out and in a few days get rid of every rock on the place.

If you are looking for the smooth, level, golf-course type lawn, you'll have a lot of work to do; no avoiding it. If you just want to knock the weeds down on a field, bush hog it.

Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-20          131134

If you do opt for a bush hog at least get a medium duty or heavy duty one and set it up high enough so it rarely hits a rock. Equip it with a slip clutch to prevent driveline damage to your tractor, and test it regularly. Be sure to get the chain guards too - you don't want to be flinging rocks all over and breaking stuff or hurting people or animals. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-20          131135

You can get a fairly good cut out of a rotary cutter if you have dual wheels on the back.

If you go for a finish mower I would not go beyond 5 ft. The larger the deck the more likely you are going to hit a high rock. You need to look at the spindle bearings and the weight of the deck. I have a Bulher which has a 1/2 inch round stock welded around the lower edge. If you hit a rock it tends to roll up over rather than denting the edge. You might want to add additional anti scalp rollers on the front edge. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-21          131169

Well, there you have many suggestions from the fun to the serious. If you aren't worried about the up close look of the cut, then look at a good used brush hog and set it up high like some have suggested. If you have a welder or know someone that does, add some rollers or skids to the front edge to help lift it over the highest rocks.

If you are trying to keep a 2" grass height, you'll have problems. So maybe raising the mower up to 4" would be best. You'll hit fewer rocks costing you less money in repairs. Lots of ideas so take one or a combination and see what works for you. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-21          131179

Of coarse we could could go back to the basics. The first clipped lawns were managed by a flock of geese. The estate owners kept a flock of geese and had the serf move them around the lawn to clip it.
With clipped wings and an electric fence it might not be that hard. It could keep the neighbours at bay to. They definately are territorial. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-21          131181

Do I need to apply for the Serf job, if so I will attach my qualifications. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-21          131186

skeown,

It seems most of us took off on your cutter and left the idea of the mower. A narrow deck has advantages for you, there could be advantage of using a z turn mower also. It will give you a very clear view, and will allow better turning and cutting around such as rocks.

Now, be sure you get one whos deck is not lifted by hand, up and down by hand means hand off of the steering and also one tired arm. Mine uses my right foot to lift it and I could set the cutting height and then pick the deck up for an extra couple of inches with no problem and do that for some unlevel ground now with some trash pieces of rock (hauled in by favorite brother in law, really). However I sure would not want to run my wheels over rocks 4 inches high or try to cut over 4 inch rocks with mine or any other zturn I have seen.

The decks of the zturns are mower decks. They are not near as heavy built as your so called bush hog (my zturn and RFM are Bushog Brand and I really am pleased with them).

My other concern with a ztr is the ground speed. The commercial models run rather fast compared to what I see most people doing with a tractor cutting. You will be there and over it before you mean to if you run wide open.

But, you will have a much better view of field and probably can cut faster with it especially if you cut around the rocks and not over them.

Wish you well.

Hey SG, are you saying you and SK are neighbors? Well your names are a lot a like. LOL Hey this SC kid will claim both of you as neighbors. You know, really don't know I wouldn't be proud to have anyone here as my neighbor, come to think of it you are my TP neighbor. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-21          131192

KT
I can cook, clean, and sweep up Hoe, plow, or plant when can I move in. I dont have much baggage, just a cooler.
NEIGHBOR. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-22          131210

SG,

Considering the "experts" this hurrican season could give either or both us the need to share shelter. But please none of the skeeters on the grill. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-22          131215

SG/KT: Awe come on guys, there's nothing like living in a FEMA trailer. Before the storm I used to think that I wanted to buy a travel trailer, you know, for weekend camping. Well, I gotta tell ya after 10 months "living" in this 30' Can-dominium (I've got a slide-out so I'm living the high-life), it gets old. And no, I'm not looking for company, neighbas. :) But, I am looking for 2 more 3/4 ton trucks and trailers to haul my stuff to high ground at a moment's notice---any takers? ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-22          131240

Earthwrks, you bring up a good point that I never quite understood. Everytime there is a hurricane, I see long lines of people trying to buy lumber. I guess if I owned a house in a hurricane prone area, I'd have a supply of plywood ready to go. I lived in Orlando and Charleston, but never owned a house there so I can't say I followed my own idea.

Is there a reason why people don't plan ahead and keep such supplies on hand? You sound like you are thinking ahead with lining up trucks to help get you outta there in a hurry. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-22          131245

Iowafun,

I was felling sorry for you having to move to Michigan. But then to learned you lived in Charleston, boy I really feel sorry for you now. LOL

As to hurricanes and lumber..it might surpise a lot of people to know hurricans really don't hit very often in the same area. The weather channel has done one good job sellng them. Regardless at the rate people are moving to the hurricane prone areas, there will always be those new that need/want more lumber than all the stores stock. Our area has gone to code requirements for windows that will take most hurricanes. It really is the trash flying that is the danger.

Earthwrks, understand the Mayor of New Orleans may help you move if need be. They don't use their equipement for New Orleans so it might be for hire. Sorry for this but I got to say, if you are going to use those trucks to do them figure 8's they really will not be much help. I will go ahead and ask for your forgiveness on that. ROFLOL ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-22          131255

If you buy all the crap needed for damage control for a storm, then you have to store it for years. It sounds easy but when you store and maintain material for years it becomes costly. How often do you check and maintain items in the attic. Stored wood needs care from rot, water, bugs, and honey do evolutions. Build it they will come, if it is there you will use it. The last big storm to hit here was in 1898. During a hurricane you leave, you dont realy have to go far. Just not in the path of the storm. A fast storm is 20 to 30mph three hours before the storm there is no one on the roads. I have been there an done that. Circle around and go back home and clean up the mess, rebuild, get on with your life. This is of course if you are in good health and have a few dollars. Some people are not that lucky or poor planners. Store money it gains value, you can always buy material, house, whatever. Leave for 20hrs and start again. After Hugo it was a bad time, never seen so many lost and lazy americans. Most had office jobs, sales, inside whatever or no jobs at all. They had no desire to work and did not have a clue what to do. If you provide them with a little leadership they would turn to, other wise it looked like the night of the living dead. They did not realize that 50miles away they did not even close the McDonalds. If you choose to stay in the path of the storm dont bitch it was your choice. LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HURRICANES BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if I rambled touchy subject. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-06-22          131268

I saw on TV this guy in Florida who treated hurricanes as routine in that he boarded his house up using designed removable fence panels. So his fence is his storage, he doesn't have to worry about it blowing down and his house is cladded in heavy wood panels. All held togeather with carrige bolts! The man's a genius! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-22          131270

Iowa: I'm 5 miles from the coast. They had 30 feet of water go through here. The water went another 10 miles inland. I see (and smell---there is nothing worse) on a regular basis what sea water does to everything down here. I'm told I have insurance on my equipment, but I don't want to have to use it. I have considered making a trailer hitch for the back of the equipment trailer to hitch my camper up and make one trip with two trailers.

KT: As long as the circle is 200 miles in diameter it shouldn't be a problem. The Chocolate City Mayor...where do I start? It's like being in Detroit and watching reruns of political crap. Are you volunteering wheels for the evacuation. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-23          131284

SG,
So you were in the heart of Hugo. It was nasty. Would amaze many how much damage it did in Charlotte NC over 150 miles inland. At my house 25 or so miles inland but not in direct path popped one pine top.

Earthwrks,
If my pickup and trialer was of the size needed I would. Good point on the size of the circle. I appreciate a person who thinks. Boy am I sorry for you, Detoroit on one end and New Orleans on the other.

Per the weather channel NY City is the one that needs to fear the major hurricane.

As to weather, this is a great county but it sure does have it's share of nasty weather. Whether fires out west, earthquakes on mainly the west coast, tornados up the center or winter blizzards and tons of snow and ice. In all of this it still is true, God is Good!

No doubt many loose a lot with the storms but there are those at TP whose income is at least in part from such destruction. It is amazing how much of our economy is based upon either loss or fear of loss or prevention of loss. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-23          131316

Earthwrks - thanks for the reminder on the water situation where you are. It's easy to forget about that and just focuss on things like windows. Most of the covereage we get up here is due to wind damage caused by debris. So it's easy to forget about the water in some areas. I'd be for getting the hell out too when you see a storm coming.

If I was closer, I'd take a day of vacation and use the F250 to help ya get the hell out. Course, if it gets to that point, maybe another TP can meet me and we'll make a marathon drive to help you out. Two drivers can do it way better than one. Plus we can talk tractors and stupid stuff to pass the time. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-23          131330

iowa: Hey thanks so much for the caring. The water thing is a constant issue--and I don't mean from the hurricane. About a month ago there was a high tide with an easterly wind that brought water a foot over the roads in some places. Even though I'm 5 miles from the Gulf, I'm about a mile from the bayous that lead to the gulf. So weather related water is a daily concern. But on a serious note I have made a lot friends down here. There's a certain "we're all in the same boat" literally and figuratively. I'm keeping my Candominium at a customer's house whose house floated OVER power lines and landed in the road. All he has is 10-foot-high stilts that supported his 2500 sq ft home. He bought 3 acres north about 5 miles which we cleared and dug him a big pond. I've done about $1000 in free work for his two sets of relative neighbors so I'm sure I would be welcome to keep my stuff there until the storm passes (Hurricane Katrina reached some 400 miles inland and was over 200 miles wide---so it's hard to escape this kind of stuff---and now I see there's something brewing off Florida---RUT ROW RAGGY! Man, when I lived in Michigan (as my east-side-of-Michigan contractor friends working down and are moving here call Michigan "The Mistake by the Lake.") the only time I paid attention to the weather was in the winter when I had to plow snow the next morning. Any body wanna buy a nearly new Boss 8-2" v-plow? ....

View my Photos
backwoodsal

2007-04-06          141092

I know this thread is prettyold but thought it was a good place to post this. My step brother has the same problem (rocks and mowing not hurricanes). His solution was to buy 5 used push mowers and gang them together. Up here in Vermont you can usually find someone selling ones he pulled from the dump, in his case less than a mile down the road. $5 each and a discount if he brings back the old one. He goes through about 6 a year, lol. Just thought I would share. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login