OK  be nice  green vs blue vs orange: Size Tractor Needed  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review OK be nice green vs blue vs orange: Size Tractor Needed -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-21-2000, 00:00 Post: 13033
Bob A.

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 OK be nice green vs blue vs orange

I'm really not trying to start a "Holy War" here, but as an inexperienced city boy I can really use some advice on the trade-offs among these GREAT tractor brands. I'm merely looking for some friendly advice.All prices (with HST and R4's) are (roughly) within $500 of each other JD4300 $16K, L3010 $15.8K and TC33D $15.4K. All dealers are good, friendly and reputable. JD is only 15 minutes up the road and this town is clearly a JD town (I'm almost afraid to buy something else - someone might throw rocks at me...I'm joking). NH dealer is 30 minutes and KU is 45 minutes away. I have 6AC's of rough, hilly land (4 field and 2 woods) and plan on doing lots of mowing, tree pruning, brush cleanup and hauling down-trees uphill. I'll most likely do some landscaping with a loader, gardening (less than 1/2 acre) and post-hole digging.My humble opinions so far: JD4300 is a great machine with a very good dealer close by and...well...it's a JD. The TC33D felt great, very light, comfortable, nimble, good visibilty and seems to cater to us newbies. The L3010 really appealed to the engineer in me - it felt like a tank under me, low center of gravity yet still nimble. I guess I must love all tractors because I can't find anything wrong with any of them - just things I like. Whatever tractor I happen to ride that day is the one I wanted to buy. If I sound like an idiot, I probably am.I'm very, very concerned (almost paranoid) about flipping. Like I said, I have some hills to be negotiated and am inexperienced. Does anyone have a feel for, or can tell me how to determine, which would be LEAST likely to flip? Is heavier better? Or should I look at the wheel base? What?Does the location of the dealer matter THAT much? I'm thinking that these are all good machines so I don't intend to take many trips. Or, will I be making more trips or depend more on the dealer than I think? Afterall, I'm buying this expensive machine to improve my productivity and save time so distance could be a factor.Is there something(s) very different about one of these that (in your opinion) puts it ahead of the others for my purposes that I missed?Thanks a ton,Bob A. - Bahama (near Durham), NC

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-21-2000, 00:00 Post: 13041
Kruser

Well, here's my 2 cents on how I settled on blue (TC29D last fall): I looked at green, blue, and orange. Like you, equally good dealers for all. Kubota literally didn't fit me - I'm over 6 ft and over 200 lb, with arthritis affecting my knees. The operator platform on the Kubota B series cramped my legs too much, and the L series were a little more tractor than I wanted. JD - I was put off by the first-year production problems reported here, and by the long lead time. NH was comfortable, "tried and true" construction, and readily available. Don't have many hours yet, but so far I'm happy with my choice.

02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13048
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

Filter by User

The following posts for this topic were moved here to consoliidate this thread after the duplicate topics were deleted
dsg
2000-02-21----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob; I am a JD fan myself. That said, all of the leading brands ( JD, Kubota, NH) are very close in all catagories. You must make the choice yourself by test friving, the feel, etc. I do however feel that the JD has a quality you will find now and 20,30 years down the road. It's a built in quality, better steal, better plastic, better rubber. IMHO only, this is why one sees more older JD's than any other brand. I guess it's just (you gotta own one to know). David

02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13049
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

Filter by User

The following posts for this topic were moved here to consoliidate this thread after the duplicate topics were deleted

Ray Holland

2000-02-21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Bob, When I wanted a tractor in 1985 I researched and tested the John Deere, Kubota and Ford. Deere had more of the features I wanted, it seemded to fit me better and I felt more comfortable using it, so I bought the JD755 Hydro 4 wheel drive, with a loader, bucket, bush hog and a log splitter. In 1998, after putting 650 of problem free hours on my Deere, I decided I wanted a new tractor. I placed an ad in the paper and received over 100 responses, and do you know the one thing that everyone wanted, it was a John Deere with 4 WHEEL DRIVE. Every caller said they could find 2 wheel drive JD, but not 4 wheel drive JD. I absolutely had my pick of buyers, I qualified my buyers and narrowed it down to 3 buyers....and picked the one who had immediate cash and paid me $200.00 more than I paid for the 755 and attachments new in 1985. Cost in 1985 was $11,400. and 14 years later I sold it for $11,600. I think Deere compacts have excellent resale value, I'm a Deere believer....and remember you will resell it........And then in early 1999 the fun began, looking for a new tractor, here again I tested Deere, Kubota and Ford, and again I felt Deere had more of what I wanted and I already knew about Deere quality and resale value. I bought the Jd4300 Hydro 4 wheel drive and I love it, its just the best toy I have ever had. And when you look around at who owns what brands, you see more John Deeres than any other tractors. Ray

PaulB

2000-02-21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just couldn't shut up, so here goes. Nation wide, Kubota owns 50 % of the compact tractor market. Period. Those "old John Deeres" you see are old John Deeres, the 4300 is a Yanmar. Before you argue with me that it is made in good old Georgia, look under the hood and read the nameplate on the engine. If my Suburban had a Honda motor and drivetrain in it, it would be a Honda in my book. Please do not let mom, baseball, and apple pie decide which tractor to buy. They are all as Japanese as sushi, and all excellent. You should test drive each of them ON YOUR LAND ON YOUR HILLS and then decide. If a dealer won't let you do that, your choice just got narrowed down.

02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13055
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

As someone who depends on my equipment for my 'bread & butter', I, after MUCH experimenting, settled on Kubota for 2 reasons, and only 2, that is IN MY EXPERIENCE they are the most dependable, and second, my local dealer is OUTSTANDING. If I have a problem that cannot be quickly fixed (read 3 hrs. max, in the field) then he sends his truck out with a replacement (a trade-in usually) for us to use till mine is ready. This level of service is not required for everyone, but for me it is. For the AVERAGE user, it is like pick-up trucks if you like GM drive one, they're all basically the same. If, however, you are one of the few percent who use (abuse?) them on a daily basis, average isn't good enough, my customers wouldn't accept it, why would I ? Best of luck...and happy motoring.

02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13068
Randy Eckard

Filter by User

Posted to this earlier and it disappeared so here goes again.
When searching for a compact tractor I drove all the name brands. Kubota and JD were definately on top. The deciding factor ended up being a demonstration by the JD dealer on removal of the loader. I had seen a Kubota loader romoved and installed and it averaged 1/2-1hour. The JD took less that 5 minutes will no tools or hammers(both were required by kubota). The JD mid mount mower also took less that 10 minutes while the kubota required the front end lifted over the deck, a hammer, and at least a half hour. Being able to remove the attachments was very important in my decision. Ask the dealer of each to demonstrate how the attachments are removed and installed. Then decide based on how the tractor drives and fits you. The dealer himself should also be considered.
As always, just my opinion.
Randy

02-23-2000, 00:00 Post: 13106
Frank R Taylor

Last year when I was in the market for a new machine, I finally decided on orange. It was mainly because of the dealer and availability at the time. By the way, my loader comes off and on in 2 minutes or less without tools. Randy must have been looking at an old, old Kubota. I don't think that there is realistically all that much difference between the different makes. It all depends on how comfortable you feel when working with it and the dealership itself. As Murf said, it may be worth paying a "few" dollars more for the tractor if the dealer is really good. Travelling time to the dealership is a minor consideration with any of these tractors provided you can do the required maintenace yourself. It takes about as long to load it on to the trailer and tie it down as it does to get to the dealership. My only advice would be to get one that will not only do what you need to do now but also anything you may want to do in the future .... make sure it's big enough. I'd also recommend hydrostatic and 4-wheel drive on these smaller tractors. Make your decision, put your money down and have a ball.

02-23-2000, 00:00 Post: 13107
Randy Eckard

Filter by User

The Kubota I am refering to is 5yrs old and and is an "L" series. I am also not as impressed with Indirect Injection. It is not as efficient as direct which is why large tractors went away from it many years ago. But to drive one verses the other you would never know the difference. Although indirect is definately quieter although harder to start.
Randy

02-23-2000, 00:00 Post: 13111
Alan L. Lewis

I would put direct vs indirect injection about item number 99 in a list of 100 factors deciding between 2 tractors. My Kubota is indirect injection and it couldn't start or run any better, plus the fuel economy is excellent. Its a non-factor in my opinion.

02-23-2000, 00:00 Post: 13112
Randy Eckard

Filter by User

Nice feature to this board to automatically have your comments priortized from 1 to 100.
Just a little humor!
Randy

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Thread 13033 Filter by Poster:
Alan L. Lewis 1 | Bob A. 1 | DennisCTB 2 | Frank R Taylor 1 | Jim Hutchins 1 | Kruser 1 | MichaelSnyder 1 | Murf 1 | Randy Eckard 3 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
jssihs

Tractor Implements - Pull type box blades
Pull type box blades

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ How big a tractor to farm 20 acres
+ What is needed to bushhog 6 acres
+ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23
+ Rotary cutter hp
+ tractor hours
+ What size tractor do I need Help
+ JD 790 vs Kubota L2500
+ Best compact landscaping rig
+ Please help 60acres to bushhog