Go Bottom Go Bottom

Should I buy a tractor

View my Photos
Jeff
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-11          12718

Hi, I have a 100+ acre hunting camp in the Adirondacs, about 15% is field rest wooded. I think a tractor would be very handy for clearing brush, mowing, hauling firewood, planting food plots and many more things. My concern is, I now live 500 miles from my camp and I'm only there for about 30 days a year. How well would a tractor fair being kept in a shed for 5 months at a strech ? Winter lows range below -30 f most years, would I have to do any special perperation to over winter it ? Assuming the long periods storage will not be a problem what size tractor should I be looking at 25, 35, 40 hp ? As you can tell I'm a complete newbie to the tractor world (I have not even driven a ridding lawn mower), do dealers offer some sort of training for safe operation of this equipment. My camp is isolated and I'm often alone on 3 day trips so I am concerned about learning safe operating procedures before buying one of these machines.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Should I buy a tractor

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

2000-02-11          12719

Get a tractor. Once you have one you will never understand how you got along without one. Good for all the things you cited and much more. Based on what you have described I would look for a used compact in the 25 hp range. You will want 4wd and a ROPS (roll over protection system). I have a little place in the hills. I use my tractor to keep the open areas mowed and to pull the deadfalls out of the woods. This year we used it for bringing deer back to camp. With proper anitfreeze, a thermostatically controlled block heater, and a trickle battery charger your tractor will always be ready when you are. ....

Should I buy a tractor

View my Photos
JonB

2000-02-12          12723

Jeff, keep reading this Board and you'll find answers to most if not all your questions. Experts here can tell you about long term storage in below freezing conditions--personally, I'd be concerned about leaving a tractor by itself 500 miles away. You might consider hauling it in on a trailer if you have use for it at home. They are terrific work machines, but consider your uses ... especially if you're there 30 days a year. Concerning safety, follow the rules--and new machines are much safer than those made 30 years ago (at least for the new user). Best of luck. JonB ....

Should I buy a tractor

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-12          12728

Jeff, there should be no problem with leaving a tractor parked for the extended times you are not going to be there. The things you brought up are all good reasons to have a tractor and the dealer you choose to buy from should be able to help you with both your safety and storage concerns. ....

Should I buy a tractor

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-14          12786

Jeff, I think the situation you have is the ideal one for a tractor, mind you I do a lot of things with tractors that the average person would scratch their head over.... I also have a remote hunt camp, which is tractor-equipped and I would be lost without the equipment, in fact when we have a work week we float up even more equipment. However instead of taking a tractor up & back every time, I purchased an old 40hp M-F gasoline powered tractor. When we leave the distributor cap and wires leave with us (we put an old cap back on to cover dist.) the battery and we drain all the gasoline. When we go back, 10 gal. of fresh gas, put on the cap and battery, and away she goes, every time. But, then you have to buy another one for home... Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login