Go Bottom Go Bottom

Lawn and Garden Tractor

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-19          104506

Thinking of retiring the Old Bolens and getting a new or used little helper for the BX23.

Have in mind a lawn and garden tractor any decent brand with front blade and rear tiller attachments.
Need hydraulic lifts for both implements.
Need to be able to use both items at the same time.
Tractor must be hydrostatic drive.
Any suggestions
Recommendations
Ideas.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Lawn and Garden Tractor

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-19          104508

Why not use your BX? That's what it's designed for. Get a tiller for the back and use the FEL. ....

Lawn and Garden Tractor

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-19          104510

I use lawn and garden tractors for mowing and a few other light duty things. I don't have a sub-compact. AV8R makes a good point. I believe John Deere and Cub-Cadet make the only tractors that are that high end as you describe. With JD your looking at a $9,000.00 lawn mower. Cadet about $7,500.00.

I have a bunch of older cubs, model 782. My rear tiller is belt driven and definitely light duty. I also have a front blade. I is also light duty and small. Maybe that fits for your application. The 782 models are about 20 years old. I picked one up last year for $1,500.00. It had a 54inch deck, sickle bar mower, front blade, rear rake and single stage snow blower. I have another 782 with category o hitch, cab and 2 stage blower that I picked up for $980.00 with 390 hours on it. Some of my newer cubs also have power steering the 1862 and 1864 models. With a little reworking, the other stuff also fits.

My point is you may want to shop around in newspapers, estate auctions or some dealers and pick up some nice used stuff. ....

Lawn and Garden Tractor

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-19          104512

Check out the Simplicity Legacy. It has all the features you are looking for, including remote hydraulics and a limited cat-1 3-pt. They are very well built, available in diesel or gas, 2-wheel or 4 wheel drive, and hydrostatic drive. Check out their website at simplicitymfg. I'm not sure what they are selling for, but they are a darn good tractor, built in the USA.

I used to own one and can tell you first hand they are really nice little tractors. The quality is unmatched. ....

Lawn and Garden Tractor

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-01-19          104517

I have to agree with AV8R. Isn't the BX perfect for that type of work ?
If it were me, I would use that money for BX attachments (tiller,mower, blades, Etc.), really no need for a garden tractor. ....

Lawn and Garden Tractor

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-01-19          104523

DK Av8r,

I agree the BX is the swiss army knife of tractors, meant to do everything a garden tractor can and more. I guess one reason to get the GT could be that you have an extremely delicate lawn, or you use the BH on the BX so much that you don't want to take it off and on, and ditto on the MMM.

So if you have the room and the bucks why not.

But that said if I new I was going to have new GT anyway and not use the BX for mowing, I would skip the BX and get a bigger tractor like a B7800 or a Grand L. ....

Lawn and Garden Tractor

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-20          104549

1*Why not use your BX? That's what it's designed for. Get a tiller for the back and use the FEL.
2*Check out the Simplicity Legacy.
3*I have to agree with AV8R. Isn't the BX perfect for that type of work ?
If it were me, I would use that money for BX attachments (tiller, mower, blades, Etc.), really no need for a garden tractor.
4*My point is you may want to shop around in newspapers, estate auctions or some dealers and pick up some nice used stuff.
5* I guess one reason to get the GT could be that you use the BH on the BX so much that you don't want to take it off and on.
6*But that said if I knew I was going to have new GT anyway and not use the BX for mowing, I would skip the BX and get a bigger tractor like a B7800 or a Grand L.
1*I already have a tiller on the back and a blade on the front of my Bolens Which saves me from having to keep switching implements on the BX23 every time I want to use a blade or tiller.
Most of what I would do with a tiller and blade would be quick small jobs.
I sorta hate to switch implements on the BX23 for 15 to 30 minute jobs.
Also the Bolens is good for getting into small tight areas that don't have enough room to maneuver the BX23.
The Bolens is gear drive and Manual lift attachments. Just thought it would be nice to upgrade to hydrostatic drive and hydraulic lifts.
2*I did that and I agree they are nice, but I don't need that much Garden Tractor to supplement the BX23.
3*Correct If the jobs are large enough.
4*Used is probably the way I will have to go. If the Money is to great I will just stick with the BOLENS.
Since I have the Bolens tiller and front blade it would be great to find a good used GT with Hydro Trans
And hydraulic lift that will take the attachments I have already. I don't need a mower as The BX23 has the 60'' mmm and I have a wards MTD with a 46' mower.
5* That's about right.
6*In my case the Bx 23 is big enough to do what I need it for and I do most of the mowing with it.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login