John Deere Reps Out of the loop : Tractor Projects  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review John Deere Reps Out of the loop : Tractor Projects -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-28-2001, 19:32 Post: 24829
Terry Weivoda

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 John Deere Reps Out of the loop

On Tuesday I called a JD dealer (not the one I normally deal with.He was out of town). I asked if they could order me the three point hitch telescoping draft links for my 4600. He told me that there were no codes yet to order but that he was scheduled to talk with his "territory rep" later that day and that I should call him back which I did. I was told that the information from his rep was that the telescoping draft links would not be available until next year. I advised him that the parts numbers have been listed on this discussion board and that they were supposed to be available this month. I did not have access to the part numbers at the time. This morning I called and gave him the numbers. He called me later apologizing and said he could have the telescoping links next week for $200. While he didn't come out and say that the "territory rep" was an idiot I gathered that was his impression from his tone on the phone. What is going on at John Deere? Deere used to hire employees that had a farm background or some other experience with the equipment. Now it seems as though they only want these characters with degrees in education but who probably have never operated a tractor. Praise be to the Webmaster for putting this board together. There is more useful information on this board than you can get from Deere and/or many of its dealers. Thankfully, the dealer I do most of my business with stays on top of the issues. However, he had not heard of the telescoping links availability until I saw it posted here and told him about it.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-01-2001, 14:35 Post: 24866
Halsey Green

Terry, I don't want to offend you, but do know why there are so many people with education degrees out there doing everything but teaching? In most places, teaching doesn't pay as well as manufacturer's reps, and I don't know if you have been in the classroom lately, but teachers don't get much respect, especially in high schools. I'm not a teacher but do work for a school system, can't recurit teachers at $30,000 a year, losing the teachers we have because the students are threating them or they are out of control. But you are right about manufacturer's reps - good many don't know the product.

03-01-2001, 21:59 Post: 24895
Mike S.

Filter by User

Terry--I am also a teacher and can very much relate to what Halsey stated even though my own teaching situation in a rural Kansas community is pretty good, even after 31 years. But in addition, IMHO, there is a trend in the American workforce in which quality and motivation may be different now when compared with even a dozen years ago. I asked my JD dealer for permission to speak to the JD rep and was told that it was simply NOT permitted, which is a shame since I had a real load that I wanted to dump on him just to get his official JD reaction. I even went to the Western Farm Show in Kansas City last weekend looking for a high JD muckitymuck only to find out that the major tractor manufacturers have abandoned these large farm shows in lieu of area dealers bringing in their sales items. I was lucky enough to visit with Mr. Herd about the famous Herd seeder/fertilizer spreader, but I would have paid good money just to bend the ear of a JD executive. An attempted correspondance with the person in charge of the Compact Diesel Tractors only yielded a call from the Jd communication center from a nice lady that didn't have a clue about the issues that I had "politely" raised about JD engineering and quality control.

03-02-2001, 05:28 Post: 24903
Terry Weivoda

Filter by User

Mike, I think my previous post may have been misleading with the reference to "degrees in education". I was not in any way taking shots at teachers. My point was that the field rep,or territory rep, or whatever they call them today, probably has a masters degree in business administration and may well have other degrees as well. But he doesn't have a clue as to what a three point hitch on a tractor looks like. When he was asked by the dealer about telescoping draft links he probably looked at his notebook computer, couldn't find a section that covered a three point hitch, and concluded that they are not available. Again, no true understanding of tractor operation but applied for a position with Deere and because of his credentials, not whether he knows anything about the product that he will responsible for, he is offered a good job. My post was not intended to be critical of education. But I believe that John Deere, and all businesses for that matter, need to have a blend of practical experience with the formal education. It is not unreasonable for customers to have someone beyond the dealer level to answer questions and resolve problems. But when the customer knows more than person we are turning to for the answers it is a problem. I have often thought how well Deere, NewHolland, Kubota, or Cub Cadet could be served if one of the members of this discussion board had real input to company/production decisions. I am talking about those of us who live for evenings and weekends/vacations to use our compact tractors. This is the person that should be employed to work with the dealers and the customers. Someone that has a true love for the product not someone who took a job with Deere because they couldn't get a job with Microsoft.

03-02-2001, 11:16 Post: 24920
Ted Kennedy

Filter by User

Hi Terry, when I'm not working at my career in aerospace manufacturing engineering, or the hobby woodshop, I'm at my part-time business designing landscapes. I'm a guy who loves tractors and what they can do, and I also have some insight into the problem you describe. I had prepared a long winded comment involving "Workforce 2000", a study made for American industry to project what the American worker would be like in the year 2000, but I decided to spare everyone and canned it. The study essentially tells the U.S. industry to offload its products to a foreign manufacturer because the American workforce couldn't, wouldn't, cut it by 2000. This study has had such far reaching impact that virtually every U.S. mfgr. today shuns the American workforce, for lots of reasons too numerous to go into here. Deere is not an exception, nor is it an exception in the way it trains its people. American industry, on the whole, wants to hire as a minimum, only college grads for their salary positions, and is hard pressed to find mechanically knowledgeable and experienced people for technical work. Once most manufacturers do find who they think is best, they do little or nothing to train them in the skills required for their jobs (sending them back to college doesn't count because they never learned the ropes there in the first place). It really isn't the workers fault that they lack the skills to do their job. Experience, taking years to get, is then lost in the mad shuffle to "out" the older worker who has earned too many benefits, too many vacation days, and all too often, knows too much about how the game is played. And yes, this all applies to tractors too. Lighten up on Deere, they are great people and still make, and have made for them, great products. You should, I think, take your observations and experiences to the top. Using the same technology that brought you to this forum, the internet, you as a consumer could rightly give the CEO and COO of any corporation some insight into what is killing their business. They need to hear what you have to say if they are to ever reverse the trend. It only takes a minute or two, and I think you'll be surprised at the reply you'll receive. Best of luck.

03-02-2001, 13:35 Post: 24921
turfman

The most dangerous man is America today is a 25 yr old with a briefcase!!!!

03-02-2001, 15:19 Post: 24926
kay

Me also thinks there is another dangerous man: he who has the money to buy these tractors with no more experience than is suggested the engineers should possess. Then he whimper's about someone else's lack of knowledge or experience. The engineer should have known I would not like this! Seems this is a two-edge sword. Not much can be gained by blaming the other, but much can be gained by discussing and trying to solve the problems we all can have - brakes on the wrong side, foggy dash's, wrong axles, etc. etc. ad infinitum. If we were super smart, we wouldn't buy anything that didn't fit our needs perfectly. Too soon, too late we find out we were not super smart, and put our trust in the hands of the sellers to do everything for us. We are so spoiled. We want to blame someone if we are the least bit uncomfortable with our lives and our toys. Sorry for spouting too long here. I'll try my best to get calm.

03-02-2001, 18:01 Post: 24930
Ted Kennedy

Filter by User

Turfman, amen. Kay, you are absolutely right. These are matters that should be discussed, and they are, here on this board. Now, all of those folks who have built such a powerful argument for better quality control and engineering have to take the next step. They need to make the CEO's, and COO's, and even the Chairmen of the Boards, aware that there is something wrong. No senior executive is going to ignore you, especially when together your combined voice is so strong.

03-02-2001, 21:51 Post: 24942
Mike S.

Filter by User

Terry--I never felt that you were taking shots at teachers in your comments, and in fact, agree with your comments. In addition, the type of tractor dealer may also make a difference in their knowledge of upgrades, changes and other tractor issues. For example, a tractor dealer that sells everything from a JD push mower to the largest tractor in the 9000 line probably is less likely to be aware of extendable draft links for the 4xxx series than a dealer that sells only tractors smaller than the 5xxx series and specializes in compact tractors only. I have had three dealers tell me that often users of these tractor forums were ahead of them about some tractor issues. It depends upon the dealer--how many times did we see mentioned that the HD4xxx tractor owner's dealer was completely unaware of the turn scuffing, even a year after the issue came up, yet my dealer had already ordered me a new front end when I noticed on this forum that one was available. This makes me wonder if some of the area JD reps are more attuned toward the larger rolling stock where there is a lot more money for JD than the compacts.

03-02-2001, 21:58 Post: 24943
Terry Weivoda

Filter by User

It appears that I may have irritated Kay and Ted with my criticism of Deere's dealer rep who had no clue as to the availability of the telescoping draft links for the three point hitch. Sorry, but I think I am right on this one. Kay is concerned that I purchased a tractor with no knowledge of the product. Nothing could be further from the truth. I owned 5 JD compact utility tractors prior to my 4600. I know this product. I was extremely critical of JD on the turf scuffing issue when my 4300 ripped huge chunks of turf while turning. Again, at first, JD reps didn't seem to know much about this problem. My dealer's rep new almost nothing about the problem up until the new design axle when into production. I agree with Ted's suggestion that we should take our complaints above the dealers and their area reps rather than just talk about on this board. I will do that. But this message board serves a useful purpose in allowing compact tractor advocates to disucss their experiences, good or bad. Where JD has responded appropriately to customer issues I have been complimentary. I praised JD for the new axle replacement on my 4600. I thought it took too long but stated on this board that JD did it right with the new axle. It is my long standing experience with JD compacts that allows me to be critical. I've been on the NewHolland Boomer tractors and I like them. I don't think it is "whining" when I ask for some information on parts/whole goods availability on my $24,000 tractor. It would one thing for the rep to miss the availability date by a week or maybe a month but this guy said it would not available until 2001. Maybe some members of this message board accept that as a routine way of doing business. I don't. I plan on keeping up my criticism of Deere when they fail to repond to the needs of the customer.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Thread 24829 Filter by Poster:
Halsey Green 1 | JeffM 1 | kay 1 | Marcus Jackson 1 | Mike S. 6 | Ted Kennedy 3 | Terry Weivoda 3 | turfman 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
bignick

Long - Help Please Injector Pump Throttle Arm- Fuel Leak
Help Please Injector Pump Throttle Arm- Fuel Leak

Unanswered Questions

Shibaura SD2203 rear axle oil
Mitsubishi MX55
Gator HPX ignition module
SL 1643
Removing LHS rear wheel beari
Gear Grinding 1200A - primary
Replacing a friction diskwashe
Bolens k1502 mitsubishi K3 ove

Active Subjects

Where Murf
Big country 4x2 utility vehicl
Operation
lift cylinder for 3pt hitch wo
Still have jerk in hydro
Flatulent gifts human and dog
front mount snowblower
Hydraulics Won t Work

Hot Topics

NorTrac Tractor Quality Review
Case 446 hydraulic pump
Long 460 hydraulic problem
Jinma Tractor w transmission p
Flatulent gifts human and dog
Generator set up ideas wanted
6X4 Gator Sometimes Shudders
Roof VP75 Brush Mower Manual

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Hydraulic Top Link
+ Digging farm pond
+ Info on Honda 6522 Compact Tractor
+ Magnatrac Crawler Review
+ Farm Bridge over seasonal creek
+ Temporary patch to hydraulic line
+ Calculating hydraulic tonnage rating
+ Home made cab
+ Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185