Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-01-17          196124

I am using a pump (hydraulic) that mounts directly on the pto shaft. It has no way to lock onto the shaft nor do I see any sets screw to lock it on the shaft.

Looking for suggestions on how to keep the pump fully on the shaft when being used. Have to make a mount to prevent the pump from rotating and may be able to design same mount to keep it from coming off the shaft.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-01-18          196127

Hi Kenny,

Without knowing which pump you are running I'll base my comments on the most usual one, the Prince PTO pump.

On either side of the pump there are (depending on the size of the pump) either 2 or 4 tapped holes to accept a bolt or eye bolt. The pump itself doesn't need to anything but just hang off the shaft. The norm then is to mount a bar or angle iron to those bolts and then from the end of that bar run a chain to the opposite side to counteract the torque of the pump.

We usually make an angle iron frame that bolts into both sets of holes and then runs (depending on application) either up to the upper link arm, or down to the drawbar.

Best of luck.

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-01-19          196150

Thanks Murf but seriously the pump will remain on the shaft while running with nothing keeping it there other than the pump just slide onto the shaft?

Right this second not sure what brand it is. The way the pump is made you could mount it on the pto shaft from either side of the pump. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
Murf

2017-01-19          196152

Stay on, yes, but it needs a little help to counteract the torque of making pressure.

And I do mean a LITTLE help.

Stay on, yes, but it needs a little help to counteract the torque of making pressure. <br>
<br>
And I do mean a LITTLE help. <br>
<br>
[p]http://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/photo/2/cGhvdG86bm9ydGhlcm50b29s/69b1ebf7-52e6-51f7-b9a5-69d107ed6e59[/p]<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Best of luck.

Best of luck. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-01-20          196162

amazing on both points...I will be the typical amateur and over engineer...lol

Have too look at holes I can use but plan to make a metal bracket to either pin or bolt to tractor for torque and movement. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-01-31          196205

Pump Mount ....

Picture Link
Tractor Projects PTO shaft mounted pump

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-01-31          196206

Forgive my forgetting how to post picture. I used angle iron for ease in getting right width and welding the two pieces together.

I will leave bolts to the guard lose to allow the pump to wiggle with the shaft. Realize no hoses but it is easy to slip off and on. Even with not bolting it will not rotate but might want to walk off the shaft.

Thanks for each suggestion. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
Murf

2017-01-31          196214

That looks good Kenny.

The only suggestion I might offer is that the hoses should have lots of slack so as not to pull the pump sideways against the PTO shaft.

Best of luck. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-01-31          196215

Thanks Murf. I always appreciate your thoughts.

On different note do you remember the BBQ you ate while here in Myrtle Beach? Bumped into manager of one last week and think it was it. "Little Pigs" ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
Murf

2017-02-02          196217

Yes sir, that was the place, up off 17 behind the golf course. We used to joke it was a really safe place to eat, the hospital was just up the road in case we had a heart attack after all that food!! ;-)

I never did ask though, what's this extra pump for? That thing will have some impressive capacity I'm sure.

Best of luck. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-02-02          196223

Boom mower with flail cutter head on it. Had bought a flail mower head for my 5ton excavator and used it on it but it was a little large for that machine on capacity. Came across an old mower that needed a new cutter (was a flail mower on it of the same size as mine). Had to make a mount for my cutter for the mower and pulled the valves off of it also as was using on tractor with enough remotes to operate the boom but used the pto pump on the cutter for the cutter head only. Made one mistake...in pulling the valves off missed the fact the relief valve was in them so ended up with pump and cutter with no relief valve. Worked fine till had a hunk of wood to jam the cutter and then ended up with busted pump. AND I MEAN a busted one. Split it the full length I think on both sides. The cutter had a step up gear box to drive pump and I was going use that set up and then thought go ahead and do that and when the gear box goes you will never find a replacement and could not think of a reason to not to use the pto pump and eliminate the gearbox and pto shaft.

Back to the BBQ resturant, if you have not been here since then you would not recognize Myrtle Beach. Growing too fast. Take care my friend. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
Murf

2017-02-02          196224

If you haven't already done so, add a BIG reservoir.

Hydraulic oil is the coolant in those types of systems and that kind of work makes a LOT of heat.

The general rule is the reservoir needs to be about 3 times the pump capacity. So if the pump is running at 10 GPM you would then need a 30 gallon reservoir.

Best of luck.

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-02-04          196231

It has I will say about 25 or so reservoir and the pump is near that capacity as the one I am replacing. I have run it a few hours since rebuilding it. Here boom mowers for most are used for winter cutting around fields and normally not at least in my use it not run hard for hours as commerical cutters do on highways or such. But will keep an eye on it. We have a company a few miles from here who has made ditch bank cutters and boom mowers for years that been one thing wiht them I found interesting the tank is not as large as I would have thought they would be.

I do have radiator for hyd oil that came off of a tobacco harvestor which would be used in our hottest of weather and would run for hours at full capactiy. Can add it find the reservoir is running hot. Thanks for the suggestion. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
Murf

2017-02-05          196232

If it's a commercially made reservoir, not a homemade job, it likely has a threaded port on it to accept a thermometer. They're readily available and not much money. It's cheap insurance.

Best of luck. ....

PTO shaft mounted pump

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-02-06          196244

It is a commerical reserivor but no port for that. What is temp to stay below? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login