Go Bottom Go Bottom

Farm Bridge over seasonal creek

View my Photos
ellen5283
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-18          143010

I am looking for some info on building a "farm" bridge across a creek. I need to get equipment (tractor, pickup) across a seasonal creek. I estimate that a span of 20 feet or less would get the job done. Timber construction would be preferred. Anybody know of any design info? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-18          143011

I've got a similar situation...the state DEP is one PITA when it comes to building bridges.
Anyway, someone once suggested to me for that type of span, find an old trailer from an 18 wheeler, take the wheels off, set it on a couple piers, and voila, instant economical bridge that will support a lot of weight... ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-18          143013

The fastest, cheapest down & dirty method for a good sturdy bridge is to find an old 42' flat-deck semi-trailer, roll it to nearby, remove the undercarriage and have someone with a large TLB (tractor loader backhoe) drag it into place with a chain.

The timber frame concept will be a lot of work, and maybe of questionable strength when done.

OWJ (open web joists) such as those used for factory roofs and such are another fairly cheap & easy way to do it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-06-18          143014

There used to be a place here ( Fraser Steel or something like that) in Long Valley NJ (was one of the only commercial things in town, now I think obiterated by another Toll Brothers development) that made trusses that look like the ceiling trusses that Murf mentioned for temporary bridges. They would put three or so on each side and run wood blanks between them for the cars to go over. These are specifically engineered for bridges and meet federal and state specifications.

There are lots of them around here and they are so sturdy that most of them have become permanent ;) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-06-18          143028

My uncle used old telephone poles side-by-side to span about 30 feet x 12 feet wide. (IMHO side-by-side was overkill). He nailed oak planks across them to smooth it out. That was 40 years ago and he still uses it. Do yourself a favor and either put guardrails up or install some sort of tire barrier. My uncle's didn't have either. My 14 y.o. female cousin drove my ATV off the edge. It was 14 feet to the bottom. She barely survived, but the quad did not. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-06-18          143029

As far as using OWT, not all trusses are designed to carry that kind of load. Around here trusses are rated at a min. of 30 lb. psf. And be sure the trssues are properly fastened and cross-braced. Otherwise, if they are loose they can bow or twist sideways and flip sideways becoming useless at that point. ....

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2007-06-21          143099

Reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon where Calvin asks his dad the same question:

C: How do they know the load limit on bridges, Dad?
D: They drive bigger and bigger trucks over the bridge until it breaks. Then
they weigh the last truck and rebuild the bridge.

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-06-21          143100

Ellen, Go to the Photo section of tractor point, click on Beagle 20 and look at his # 20 photo. This might give you some idea. This is a span of 33' with no support. I belive it was for 800# load limit. If you put supports in the middle it may work for you. Timbers this size are not cheap. You maybe able to use telephone poles if you use supports. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-06-21          143105

MacDaddy: Years ago I wrote automotive technical manuals. We would have the engineers review the manuals, make changes if necessary and sign-off. We had a feeling they were not fully reviewing them, so we put in many places a bogus torque spec: "Tighten until it breaks then back off one-quarter turn". They still didn't catch it. ....

View my Photos
ellen5283

2007-06-26          143228

Thanks for the ideas. I didn't think about the fact that some kind of permit might be required! I am in Texas (La Grange - near Austin), so I better check with the authorities. I have been told of a local crane company that uses old railroad flat cars. I am going to check them out, but that seems to be a bit of overkill. The trailer idea sounds more reasonable. This bridge will not be very high, but I will definetly put some tire guards on it. Thanks again. I will keep you posted on progress. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-06-26          143235

Would a culvert work in this situation? (I think where you are they might be called "tinhorns".) Fast, easy, and even a big one is going to be cheaper than a bridge. ....

View my Photos
ellen5283

2007-06-27          143255

They are called a "low water crossing" here in Texas. I guess thats because you can only cross when the water is low. That was my first choice when I started planning this, and it still may be the way to go. The deal is that this creek flows medium to zero most of the time, but on rare occasion it will turn into a monster. Unless you use a lot of concrete to anchor in the culverts and road base, it can wash away. However, I am close to deciding that some culvert, covered with some rip-rap (medium size crushed rock) capped with some road base will be my choice. If it washes away, so be it. I can haul in another load of rock. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login