Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185

View my Photos
sponel14
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-02          115836

Hello. I just bought a Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185 from a local guy in Shelbyville, KY. It is in running condition, but probably needs to be restored.

I would like to ask some general questions about it. #1: It has three forward gears, but it will only cut grass in 1st & 2nd, not 3rd. Is this normal?
#2: The manual that the seller gave me is for the 154 Low-Boy, can I use it for my 185?(they appear to be very similar) Also the manual is a photocopy, is ther an original version that I can buy?
#2a: What books/mauals do I need to maintain it? #3:Is there any books/videos/manuals on how to restore this type of tractor?
#4: How long would a typical restoration take?
#5: Is there anybody near Shelbyville, Ky. that I can ask for some help from?
#6: Can you add the 3pt. hitch to these tractors, if they don't already come with one?
#7: Is there any way to upgrade the engine to a small (3 cyl) diesel engine?
#8: Can someone add a transmission doubler to this tractor? (like they have on larger tractors)

Anybody with some answers to these questions, I would greatly appreciate some more insight into this tractor.
Thanks ~ Sponel14

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-02          115856

They did offer a creeper gear which gave them a big speed reduction. The two models are nearly twins with only small differences. Many of the manuals available today are only copies. ....

Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185

View my Photos
mowrey1999

2005-09-25          116863

As far as mowing with a 185 or 154,184 I have a 185 and dont even try to mow in 3rd, I can mow in second in moderate grass but if your on a hill you may have to drop into first, Even if the grass is tall I have to mow in 1st quite often,The engine is only 18 horsepower so isnt a powerhouse, today the average garden tractor has that much horsepower and only weighs about 350 pounds verses the lowboy that is probably 1600 pounds or more,As far as using the manual for your tractor generally there werent many differences in the 184,154,185 they all used the c60 engine and so that manual should work , most tune up items are the same, the 2 older models had a generator and the later model had a alternater and starter was a main difference,One thing I did to mine was ad a electronic ignition, it runs a lot better or smoother, and you dont have to mess with the points ect, it only takes about 30 minutes to install and is around 100 dollars, it was worth the money as far as I was concerned.as far as restoration there pretty easy to restore and parts are still easy to get either at a dealer or online, books can be purchased online also look on ssbtractor.com and simular sites, restoration time depends on ability and money, mine took about 1 year but totally rebuilt everything I have seen some take longer but can get expensive so you just have to move at your own speed an ability.If your going to run any thing off the PTO you have to get a reverser since the pto runs the opposite of most tractors,As far as engine upgrades you can put other engines in I have heard of some small diesels that were used but how much time do you want to spend modifying and upgrading to a bigger motor , the small lowboy wasnt designed for high horsepower and you will probably just brake parts that werent designed for this much horsepower and torque, It is just my opinion but your probably better off to just leave the original motor and restore as is , maybe upgrade with some upgraded parts ignition ect,the old lowboys when restored should run 20 years if maintained with basic maintaining.it will be worth more original than cobbled up with another engine,I guess my opinion is if you want a higher horsepower tractor to pull stumps/bush hog ect you might as well buy one,If you want a lowboy to restore/mow and do odd jobs it will work fine and last a long time. ....

Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-25          116866

I owned a Cub 154 Lo-Boy for about 10 years. As you have noted and already mentioned; 1st is way too slow, 2nd gear is too slow, and 3 rd gear is way too fast with respect to cutting grass. If the grass was not too tall or thick, I could sometimes cut in 2nd gear but otherwise just left it in 1st gear.

The pto drive shaft is a weak link in this machine as the square key that hold the belt pulley on the shaft works back and forth and eventually eats into the shaft key way. The shaft IF you can find a new or good one, will cost over $250. That is what I paid nearly 10 years ago. Adjust for time and inflation. This part is now obsolete and no longer available at Case/IH dealers unless you can find NOS stock.

The pto clutch pack drum is another very weak link. If you want the clutch pack to last any amount of time; you must engage the pto clutch at the lowest possible rpm (preferabley idle) and VERY slowly and gradually pull out the pto engage lever. If you don't do this; over time the pto clutch plates will eat into the pto clutch drum. And yes the pto clutch drum is another obsolete part.

These tractors have amazingly efficient engines and mine would run for about 6 to 8 hours on a full tank of gas. They were grossly under powered but with a gentle technique, easily but slowly got the got the job.

My 154 had the 3 pt. hitch kit, the pto conversion kit, chains, and the front dozer blade. I never used any of these kits as the 154 engine was only 15 hp and the tractor in my opinion was too expensive to repair to use for applications such as this and was so under powered.

I think converting to a diesel engine would be throwing good money after bad. If you want a tractor that you can use for a variety of tasks with good availability of parts and reliability. See if you can find an older Kubota or a Deere.

The Cub Lo-Boy series is over 50 years old and was a very fine machine in its day but now would be best suited and far more valuable as a restored show tractor with perhaps a side duty to finish mow grass. ....

Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-25          116877

I think everyone has answered most of the questions. I don't know any one in Shelbyville, but James Burden had a business in Cloverport KY. He restores IH and had a few Low boys. He is reasonably priced, you may contract him to do the whole tractor. If interested I could get his number. ....

Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185

View my Photos
sponel14

2005-10-07          117523

Mr. Peters & All Others,

Thank you for your replies. I am grateful that there are people out there who can help others like me. Mr. Peters, if you could, please provide me with the number for James Burden, and his business in Cloverport KY. I would like to talk to him about restoring my Cub Cadet 185. Thanks again.

Jason ....

Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-07          117536

James and Paul Burdens shop number is 270-788-9391. I talked with them to see if they are still doing tractors. He said the rebuilt 5 Low boys last year. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login