Go Bottom Go Bottom

Redmax Leaf Blower bogs on acceleration

View my Photos
Argonaut
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-10-28          200763

First I have had this blower about 30 years and has run great.

But last week I was using it and it ran fine, then after 30 minutes I slowed it down and tried to throttle it up it started to stall out as the throttle widened.

Then today I started it and slowly increased the throttle to max speed great. I was using it for a about 40 minutes. Then I slowed the throttle to idle. Then tried to increase speed no go.

I shut it off, had heard gas cap could be clogged so unscrewed cap to release vapor lock and screwed back on. Started no dice on increase in speed and stalls.

Any ideas?

Probably time to replace it so she is not going to a shop.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BigBoyBob

2021-10-29          200765

I would check the low hanging fruit.

Replace the sparkplug, its cheap why not.

Make sure your fuel is fresh, if not make a new batch or buy the no ethanol premix.

Check the vented gas cap. If lossening the cap during the stall allows it to speed up could be the cap vent.

View my Photos
Argonaut

2021-10-30          200766

Picture Link
Parts and Repair Redmax Leaf Blower bogs on acceleration

View my Photos
Argonaut

2021-10-30          200767

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBob | view 200765
I would check the low hanging fruit.Replace the sparkplug, its cheap why not.Make sure your fuel is fresh, if not makea new batch or buy the no ethanol premix.Check the vented gas cap. If lossening the cap during the stall allows it to speed up could be the cap vent.

I replaced the plug the plug was really old but not the problem. It looks lkie the vent cap was bad, as if I loosen the cap the stall goes away.

I tried cleaningthe vent cap, it seems to have no moving parts. The yellow dome has a small pin hole in it. That is now clear after cleaning it. Under the dome there was an old disentrgrated foam filter, I replaced with a fabricated piece. On the cap there is a screw which seems to regulate how much air can seep thru the tiny hole in the black cap.

I ran it on the flat garage floor testing revving and slowing up and down numerous times. Seemed better.

Then I tilted it so the fuel filled the cap, stalled instantly. Hmmm safetly feature?? Probably not I have to swing it around to get it on my back so I think still something up with the cap.

Bad news is that Blower is so old parts are hard to come by.

View my Photos
Argonaut

2021-11-11          200790

I tried to get the cap no go. But I could get a cap if I bought the Gas Tank Assembly. :-)

Thought I would just screw the new cap from the new tank and screw it on the old tank.

Nope new cap only fits new tank.

Installed new tank with new hoses and new tank filter it came with.

Filled her up with gas.

Hmmm running good for about 20 minutes then it started to bogg again. Lossened the cap and it cranked up to speed. Also noticed if I tilt it on my back so the cap side is elevated that helps it speed up.

So sadly I think I am no where on this.

Should I go one more step and get a new carbureter, but I just do not see how it could run great, then not , then tilt or lossen cap to run great again.

Maybe saying she wants to go equipment heaven :-(

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login