Go Bottom Go Bottom

Logging winches match to tractor brands

View my Photos
Burrobabe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2022-03-26          200939

Hi, I am new here and found this forum by searching the web for info on logging winches. Read, Farmi vs. Fransgard and was also wondering if anyone had experience with Wallenstein or Hudson.

As for size, I have an IH 584, 70Hp. My land is hilly and often wet. I would be pulling uphill in places. In some places, moving really big logs (the White ash is dying),

What recommendation for size would you have?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
flyboy845

2022-05-08          201004

My recommndation is be careful. Real easy to get in trouble using a farm tractor to do what Log Skidder should be used for.

My recommndation is be careful. Real easy to get in  trouble using a farm tractor to do what Log Skidder should be used for.<br>
<br>
[p]https://cdn-canhf.nitrocdn.com/NvADpMovCBtqgnJwygpDBkMkzLiadpEx/assets/static/optimized/rev-a0290dc/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/rancourt-Land-clearing-grapple-skidder-1000-f.jpg[/p]<br>
<br>

View my Photos
neilmace

2022-05-16          201016

My family started logging in the 1790's and I sold the assets in 1970. We never owned a log skidder! We started with mules, usually 3 teams, and ended with 13 horsepower 9N Ford's, we had 2 in operation to supply 2 sawmills, sawing 10,000 board feet each, daily. We were in the hilly Ozarks, but took the Mules and one sawmill to Colorado one Summer.,
Of course be careful, very careful. My best friend's Dad was killed in the log woods, others were maimed; but I don't even remember an injury from skidding, it is felling trees that is most dangerous.

I don't know anything about your tractor; but just ease around, never getting in a hurry. Always go straight up and straight down a hill, never run the risk of tipping over by going side ways. If you have a tree so big you don't have the power, go around.

P.S. I was grown before I ever saw a skidder. BTW the front end of a 9N was so light, it would lift off the ground and you steered with the brakes. Good Luck, stay safe. ....

View my Photos
neilmace

2022-05-16          201017

The only way you can get in trouble with winch is if you break a cable. I once pulled a D-8 Cat out of the mud with a winch on a D-6 chained to a tree. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2022-05-16          201018

Have you looked into Walenstein Skidding Wenches?

https://www.wallensteinequipment.com/us/en/group/skidding-winches

They work well especially if you use a self releasing snatch block to change directions of the skidding cable. ....

View my Photos
OldMizer

2022-06-06          201086

New here too. I have a Farmi winch that I purchased new in 1980 to use on a Ford 8N. The winch is now on my Kubota 3000DT. I have changed to cable a couple of times but that is it. I do not have any experience with the other brands but have looked at them closely when I could. Mine is non-hydraulic, runs off a PTO drive shaft.

There are rules that have to be followed when using a winch. Off angle pulling is one of them. You can break things if you have a hard pull more than 30 degrees each side off the back of the tractor. I use a snatch block for those off angle pulls or when I need to steer around an obstacle. ....

View my Photos
neilmace

2022-06-06          201090

YOU GIVE GREAT ADVICE.

You sure moved up from an old 13 hp Ford gas to 32 hp Kubota.
Good move.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login