Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Robert
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-23          16534

Well, I've read all the stuff I can find about them, but I still can't decide whether PTO chippers are worth a hoot. Looking specifically at a Patu DC40 or Valby CH140. I've never seen either, and I sure would like to see one work before I plunk down the cash. I realize hydraulic feed is better, but one has to make compromises. I burn anything 2" or better that is straight enough to get in the stove, so I don't need to chip a 4" oak log or anything. Do these things work ? Do they beat the tractor up ? I've got 27 PTO HP. Any opinions greatly appreciated. (I'm also tired of buying mulch at $12/scoop.)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-05-23          16536

They do work, and work well, however, they also require your tractor to be dedicated and running at pto speed for the entire time you are working. For the average person the cost of a chipper, compared to the cost of a box of matches is not justifiable. Further, the speed at which the machine CAN operate compared to the speed you will operate at if you want the 'output' for landscape mulch is VERY different, the faster you set the feed-rate the larger the chips are, at full speed the the 'chips' are more like golf balls, the 'landscape mulch' size comes from bare minimum feed rates. In the course of building golf courses we use them extensively, but over the years we have discovered that a 'stand-alone, self-powered' model is better because it frees the tractor up for hauling the chips, dragging in the brush, etc. Besides for the few times an average user will need one, the rental charges will barely equal the interest on the money to buy one. Best of luck. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-23          16542

Excellent point Murf,
When you consider everything involved in such a purchase, a day or two rental is downright smart use of your money. Concerning the price of mulch, do they grow mushrooms in your area?? If so, find out if you can purchase the used "mushroom soil". Its "much" cheaper, last longer, has better wind resistance, and its better at keeping weeds down. Trust me...This year we used 2 "Tri-axle loads (approx 30-40 Ton). We simply couldn't afford to do it with regular mulch. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Paul Levin

2000-05-23          16546

Yes, again they work. I'm using a Woods 8100 chipper on my JD4300. It has the hydro feed and it is great. The size of the opening should not just be thought of as referenced to firewood. Larger opening allows more untrimmed branches and much less work. The hydro feed seems much safer and is independent of the PTO speed. Chips are fairly uniform.

However I agree, it is not a good use of dollars. The argument seems to be, if it is not used often-its not worth it to own-- and if it is used often, a separate unit with motor makes more sense. But-- it is very convenient to have it there whenever you need it. Isn't this the case with most attachments?

I can't cost justify it logically but I have no regrets.

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Robert

2000-05-23          16549

Thanks, gentlemen, for the views. While I am not building golf courses, I'm not exactly your average suburbanite. We raise a fair quantity of blueberries, asparagus, and apples, and while we can always pile the brush over in the woods, I have always thought there was a better way. I'd love to have a self-powered one, but the used ones I see around here are $3000 up, won't start, and have large chunks falling off. In other words, they are trashed. You can rent one over a weekend here for $200, I guess I'll try it and see how much we can stuff thru it in 2 days. I guess I'll wait until I see a PATU work before I buy one.
Unfortunately, the nearest mushroom farm I know of is in Pennsylvania. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2000-05-23          16560

Here's my $0.02 about chipers. My opinion is that a Vermeer 620 (used) or the new equivalent is the way to go. The tiny chipper/shredders are only good for garden and yard waste. The big machines can chip large material but usually wood in the 5-6" range is saved for firewood. About hyd. feed: it controls the load on the cutting disc or drum and makes more efficient use of limited HP. Be very careful of used machines unless you know the history and are a good mechanic. The large V-8 powered drum chippers are not, in my opinion, for anyone other than a professional. Read the accident reports about deaths and you will see what I mean. When I sold my tree business, one of the new partners clipped off 4 fingers in a drum chipper while working on it. Look for a large throat so you can feed material without having to saw it up too much. Also, if you can touch the throat by reaching across the feed table, look for another machine. You will be surprised by the amount of work that can be done with a 20hp machine. It is also easy to tow between a small 4wd tractor. Good luck and wear your ear plugs and eye protection. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
RegL

2000-05-23          16568

Have a danuser 24p,6",3pt. chipper with self feed and love it.What i like is if you can drive the tractor their,you can get the chipper their.As far as cost effective,i'm not sure any of my equipment is.When i'm at a job with mower,trimmer,blower,tractor and all kinds of stuff,and the young lady comes to do the gardening with some hand tools that you could buy at tag sales,and charges almost as much as i do,,well i guess it's just fun to have stuff. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-05-23          16570

I have a Befco BM6-900 6" self feed 3 pt PTO chipper/shredder that I bought used this spring. It had very little use & other than the faded paint from setting outside it looks like new. I had been using a 8 hp Troy Bilt chipper/shredder & there is no comparison. I was able to chip more brush with the pto chipper in one afternoon than I did in several days with the Troy Bilt. As far as renting a chipper, all the rental stores in this area only have self powered chippers the size of my Troy Bilt & when you rent you have to schedule your work around the rental store. As for making sure something is cost effective, if this was a requirement than very few of us would own our compact tractors. Chris ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Glenn

2000-08-06          18554

I'm considering buying a 4 inch chipper for use with my John Deere Model 670 compact tractor. I've gathered information about the Bear Cat Model 73454, the Danuser Model 18G, the Patu DC40MF, and the Valby CH140. These are all manual feed chippers and range in price from $2855 to $3400. Now I have stumbled across information about a chipper made in China and sold by Bolton www.boltonpowerequip.com/chippers.html It's list price is $3,395 WITH AUTOMATIC FEED!! Does anybody know anything about this chipper? I'm leary of Chinese products but wonder if acquiring parts might be less of a concern with a chipper than a tractor, for example. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
josths

2003-10-23          66900

Just purchased the DR Chipper PTO model for around $1,800 including shipping. It works great. I use it on MF 1235 with 30HP (25 HP at the PTO). Chips up to 4 1/2 inches and has taken almost everything we have fed it wothout even slowing down. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
4kubota

2004-02-23          77749

Looking at purchasing either the China chipper or the Dr chipper. Would like to hear from some owners of both. Like the light weight of the DR 185 ver 800. Info appreciated. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-23          77756

I bought a Jinma chipper about a month ago but am having some modifications done to it so I haven't actually chipped anything yet. I'll share my first impressions though. It appears to be a very simple, solidly built and functional chipper. At $1550 for a 6" chipper with blower it's pretty hard to beat.

The chipper flywheel is driven by a bunch of belts (8 I think) from the PTO. It also has a belt driven feed roller. From my research the weakest link on this chipper is the belts - you need to make sure they are kept adjusted properly, and the factory chinese belts aren't the best quality. The feed roller looks like it will pull in small material up to 2-3" quite easily, but for larger material you need to pull up a lever to raise the roller. According to the dealer chips fly out of the blower with tremendous force and blow a long way.

Parts seem to be available, and a lot of them are just off-the-shelf items. The bearings, pillow blocks, and pulleys are all available at places like graingers. Belts are available at NAPA. The blades are double sided and can be sharpened. One guy said he cross referenced them to another brand but I haven't verified that so I bought some extras. Most all the other parts can be repaired with a welder. One gripe is that few captive nuts are used so some repairs will be a bit awkward as you reach to hold both ends of the fastener.

I'm having three modifications done to mine before using it. I'm having the hitch modified to work with my JD I-Match and the fixed blower ejection tube modified so that I can rotate it in any direction. Lastly, the lever that raises the feed roller pulls against a heavy spring and it's a real back-tweaking operation to raise it. I'm modifying it with a foot-pedal which should be easier to work. Hopefully these mods will be done by the end of next week and I'll post pictures and my impressions of the chipper in operation. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
tinytractors

2004-02-24          77808

I don't consider myself an expert on chippers, but I own 4 of them. Merry-Mac chipper/shredder(3"chip 1-1/2"shred), SALSCO Stallion (4"chip 1"shred), DR 4" chip, and best of all a new VALBY CH140. I could go on and on about the VALBY. I run it with a B7200 KUBOTA (15 pto hp). A bit underpowered but with the selectable 1000rpm pto speed the chips fly and only slows down on 5" oak. Wishing for a few more HP soon but it will chip anything that can fit into its 6x12 throat. The sheared, dense, evergreens (christmas trees) it don't like (only manual feed), they have to be limbed first. I maintain about 24 mostly wooded acres with trails and paths. The coarse chips from the VALBY lock in nice and make a real good surface for the ATV's and hikers. After about 30 hours of chipper time the blades only needed afew quick strokes with a diamond pocket hone to put them back to paper-slicing sharpness. A bank vault comes to mind when I open the chipper housing...everything is overbuilt, and designed for industrial use. Easy to get to the parts for maintenance. The size of the knives and the 200+ lb flywheel are impressive. The best shaft bearing ever seen and the anvil adjust is precise and will hold the setting. I could go on and on. I also have the small Merry-Mac, and its a favorite too. I believe that the latest PRO model would be a winner too with its greater capacity. I'll respond to questions. You all helped me get my VALBY. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2004-02-25          77909

I replied to a previous string on chippers with my experience with a Vermeer 3ph unit intended for cleaning up tree tops and slash from a timber harvest. Bottom line was that it was overly expensive, too slow, too much work, and either burning or cutting up the limbs to small pcs were better approaches.
However the comment from Tinytractors about his impressions of his Valby stimulated these additional commments. If you're going to go the chipper route, look at features such as what tinytractors talked about. Two others: 1. sometime, you're going to jam a tough pc of wood in the throat or between the feeder and the cutters; how friendly is the chipper to disengaging? Unjamming some chippers requires practically full disassembly - that ain't handy sitting out in the woods.
2. My Vermeer's feed stood at waist-height. The Valbys load at ground-height. It got tiring to lift and feed the Vermeer; I would have preferred the ground level of the Valby.
finally, chipping green wood versus old dry wood affects the performance significantly. green is easier by far and makes the best chips.
jim

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
4kubota

2004-02-25          77912

tinytractors you say you have the Dr 4", if this is the PTO one how does it perform? Can understand the VALBY CH140, but that is high dollar. I can purchase the China for $1499 the Dr around $1800 narrowed my needs down to these 2.
Thanks

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-25          77913

Keeping in mind I'm not a chipper expert, I bought the Jinma over the DR for several reasons. The price was a few hundred bucks cheaper, the Jinma has a far heavier flywheel and two blades vs. the light flywheel and single blade on the DR, the Jinma has a blower and the DR just dumps the chips in a pile, the Jinma has a feed roller to pull stock in and the DR does not, and the Jinma has 6" capacity (limited by your PTO HP) vs. 4 1/2" for the DR.

Again, please keep in mind that I haven't yet used either one so I'm not recommending one over the other. It could well turn out that the Jinma will be awful, but I'm not expecting that. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
4kubota

2004-02-25          77935

Thanks Kwschumm that is the kind of info I am looking for. I've read all your info and seen your pictures nice outfitt. I have 20 acres of woods and am always cutting and cleaning. I can burn with no problems but I am not a wasteful person if ya know what I mean. I have mostly pines and oaks. The nearest I've found the Jinma chipper is in S.Indiana $1500 about 11hr drive. No one around NW Florida sells them.If anyone knows closer source let me know. Please post when you have yours chipping. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-25          77943

I know what you mean, we burn a few big piles a year and get choked out by all the smoke. Keep an eye on the chippers forum, I'll post pics and a review when I get it going. It may be next week or even a little later since our local welder is backed up. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
tinytractors

2004-02-26          77978

The DR chipper went back to Country Home Products after about 3 days of chipping time. They are very good people to deal with. I got their video, and it was instructive and accurate. Everything was going along just fine until I tried to chip some Larch (pine). They have a lot of small clustered cones and the branches wouldn't feed easily into the chute without a lot of trimming. These could have easily been handled by a shredder. The DR's throat is TOO SMALL. That's when I got the VALBY. I like to buy things that I can get parts for, that's why I'm not too hot on China... My MerryMac is about 50 yrs old and I still can get parts for it. The machine holds up... too small for all the Hurricane Isabel damage... Go to Northern Tool they have the PTO model for $2300... I think that you would be money ahead in the long run. I spent $3400, delivered to my door, for the VALBY... and after working with the others...it's a pleasure that I look forward to. I worked the deal through the distributor due to no dealers in my area, and there is no parts shortage for them either. I should be a salesman for them. Have you been to the VALBY website...IMPRESSIVE. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-26          78033

tinytractors, I'd rather have the Valby than the Jinma and I'd rather buy American than Chinese. However, for the price of the Valby I can buy two Jinmas and a few extra sets of blades. Given that MOST of the spare parts are available at any industrial parts house or NAPA, and that the manual even lists the part numbers of them (General Bearing, etc) parts are not a huge issue. Especially since the chipper is dead-simple and most proprietary parts can be fixed by a welder. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
tinytractors

2004-02-27          78135

It looks like you did the homework... now get chippin. I dont remember reading a user report on the Jinma, and look forward to reading it. I like the idea of off-the-shelf parts and the roller feed. Best of luck !!! ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwoetzel

2004-03-02          78485

Jim,

I'm looking to purchse the Valby CH140 to chip a great amount of dry wood (2"-3" branches). You mentioned that chipping green wood versus old dry wood affects the performance significantly. In what way is the performance affected?
Thanks.

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
lumber

2004-03-02          78551

I have around 50 hours on my Chinese chipper. I previously owned a bearcat which was very frustrating to use. This one is great in comparison. The only weak points that I see are the feed roller doesn't work well with whole small fir trees or other things with tough tenacles (but I'm unaware of any other affordable chipper which will even do as well), the blades (which are reversible) get dull after 30 hours or so, the top 3 point link should be braced, and I had to replace the feed roller drive belt (partly my fault, but it takes a common 1/2 x 38" belt). I'm very pleased with mine and see no reason that it won't last a good long time. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-02          78553

lumber, have you actually added bracing to your chippers top link? If so, would you mind posting pics? Since my chipper is at the welder for some mods I'd be interested in having this done while it's there. What symptoms of poor bracing have you observed? Thanks for any info you can provide. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Trakorb

2004-03-03          78569

Been reading this thread on chippers with interest. Considering a Kubota 3830GST with Valby chipper. Used ones are expensive, heavy and usually worn out. Don't need another motor to maintain. I've used manual & hydraulic tow behinds, but not the valby CH140 manual. If anyone has tried, how do they feed? Also, looked at kwschumm's pics and got a kick out of the tipover shot. I've got lots of ups and downs, how does your JD work on the sidehills? I'm off to see what some of those implements are that you listed. *S* Thanks ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-03          78595

My rollover wasn't caused by any instability with the tractor, but rather by soil that collapsed under the left tires when near the edge of a hill. The 4310 is surprisingly stable on hills, especially now that the tires are set to the widest position. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Trakorb

2004-03-03          78608

Thanks, I spent hours going over old posts and really enjoy this forum. I have lots of ups and downs and slash to clean up, so that shot really caught my eye. Also like the looks of the grappler blade and will be checking into it for price. What did you load in your tires? ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-03          78612

My dealer used Calcium Chloride. I would have preferred Rim Guard but nobody in our area sells that. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
lumber

2004-03-03          78662

kwschumm, I downloaded a photo to my profile which shows the brace. I broke mount off crossing a rough spot. In raised position, top link puts a large bending moment on mount.
I've never previously tried to download a photo to this board, so hopefully it'll do what you want. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-03          78665

Thanks, lumber, that picture tells me exactly what is needed. I'll have the braced added to mine while it's at the welder.

Whereabouts in Oregon are you located? I'm in the Banks area, west of Hillsboro. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
lumber

2004-03-03          78709

kwschumm, happy to try to help. I added more pics, none related to brace.
Have you applied to DEQ for tax credit?
I live on opposite side of Portland from you, 10 miles NE of Oregon City, mailing address is Estacada. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-03          78714

Funny you should ask. I was filling out the DEQ form today, but had to stop because I didn't have the model number. The guy I bought it from later said to use the model number JM6 so I'll mail mine off in the next day or so.

Nice pics! What kind of old machine is in your pic #6? ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
lumber

2004-03-04          78828

Tractor in pic #6 is 1918 Avery 25-50. Gas (kerosene), pancake style 4 cylinder engine. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
ob1kubota

2004-03-04          78831

The 6" chinese chippers are a good value for the money,Their is a pulley off the pto input that turns the roller feed .I sell them at a good savings in the factory shipping crate as well as fully assembled ,The woods 5" chipper shreader in a nice unit and prices in the mid to upper 2k's.The Wallenstein unit from Canadia makes a nice 6" unit as well. I believe the list price is around 2700.00 They also have a hydraulic feed unit that I belive is in the 5500 range.We have sold about a half dozen of the 6" units last fall,But not the hydraulic feed units which are brand new,Everybody was satisfied with those units as well.Good luck ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-04          78850

lumber, does that Avery run? Is that a restoration project? Has it been in your family for awhile, or did you buy it for restoration? Those old machines are fascinating. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2004-03-05          78891

kwoetzel:
Re brittle vs green wood -- I first heard this from the Vermeer salesman, and he was right. Green wood is easier because the chipper knives carve/cut the wood, whereas brittle wood tends to shatter. If the old stuff includes species like hickory, oak, locust, then the chipping is significantly affected (slower, the branches break up in the chute, etc). Some types end up as dusty debris rather than chips, which is a problem if you're looking to recoup the chips for landscaping.
However, if you're using a smaller shredder/chipper that uses flail hammers, the condition of the wood probably isn't as much a factor (of course you won't be feeding as much big stuff into it either).
jim ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
4kubota

2004-03-05          78917

ob1kubota do u sell the Jinma chipper, if so how much and where are you located. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
ob1kubota

2004-03-05          78925

Please contact me directly at www.tractorloft.com ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
lumber

2004-03-05          78928

kwschumm, The Avery runs. I bought it 6-8 years ago. You are welcome to come over and see it. I changed profile to show an email address so you can contact me, as I assume that those wanting to read about chippers aren't amused by the old tractor talk, even though I like to talk about (and own) old tractors. ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
wilkyflex

2013-07-01          187561

I am looking to buy a used Danuser 24p. I have a Yanmar 1300D which is 16HP and 13 HP at the PTO I think. I think that might be under powered for this chipper, but if I don't feed in too big branches, it should work right?

Can I give you a call to talk about your 24p?
I'd like to know how much the unit weighs?
Can I adjust the feedrate on the chipper?
will my 13HP power it okay?
How much is a used 24P that is in good condition worth?
Are parts available?
Does Danuser still support the 24p?
Please give me a call
or email me at wilkyflex at aol dot com

Thanks
Dean
805-649-1599 ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
wilkyflex

2013-12-14          188458

I am looking to buy a used Danuser 24p. I have a Yanmar 1300D which is 16HP and 13 HP at the PTO I think. I think that might be under powered for this chipper, but if I don't feed in too big branches, it should work right?

Are parts available?
Please give me a call

Thanks
Dean
805-649-1599 ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
wilkyflex

2013-12-14          188459

Are parts available?
Please give me a call

Thanks
Dean
805-649-1599 ....

PTO woodchippers again

View my Photos
dzimbric

2016-02-25          194630

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kubota | view 77935
Thanks Kwschumm that is the kind of info I am looking for. I've read all your info and seen your pictures nice outfitt. I have 20 acres of woods and am always cutting and cleaning. I can burn with no problems but I am not a wasteful person if ya know what I mean. I have mostly pines and oaks. The nearest I've found the Jinma chipper is in S.Indiana $1500 about 11hr drive. No one around NW Florida sells them.If anyone knows closer source let me know. Please post when you have yours chipping.

I purchased mine in NC, it's not a Jinna but very similar for $1600.00. I have worked it a lot and it has more than paid for itself if I had to rent one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login