Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4 n 1 bucket bolt on edge

View my Photos
Oly_Mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-11          76688

After reading Tractor Point I purchased a JD 4310 E-Hydro. Ordered 6/21/03 and delivered 9/03 with 12 hours on it. I question how something can be new with 12 hours. I figure they owe me something for the 12 hours. So when I brought the tractor in for service at 50 hours JD said that the edge of the 4 n 1 bucket edge was worn. I asked them to look into puting a bolt on edge on the bucket. Everyone looked at me as though I was crazy. I might be, but it seems silly to wear/damage the edge - cut it off and reweld the edge so I can I re-wear/damage it all over again. Why wouldn't everyone want a removable edge. I cannot find the old reference someone here provided about 4 n 1 buckets with removeable edges. I highly recommend a 4 n 1 bucket, but with a removeable edge. Anyone have any info on bolt on edges for buckets or bolt on edges for 4 n 1 buckets.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-12          76706

Very few buckets for CUT's have replaceable cutting edges. Box-blades, rear-blades, scarifiers and rakes are usually all designed for replacement of the cutting steel though.

If you can find someone to neatly remove the old edge and install a regular steel backing plate recessed into the bucket face you can then bolt on standard cutting edges.

We did this on several of our units, we used the cutting edges for snow plows, they worked very well. They are readilt available and fairly inexpensive.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Oly_Mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-12          76725

Thanks, Murf

I will talk to the JD Dealer about welding a regular backing plate into the bucket face. Any suggestions on who sells the replaceable cutting edges. I want something that will last. I was looking at Woods 4 n 1 buckets and hoping that they might fit my JD bucket. It seems that people would want this setup, so it would be fairly common. It seems the only way to go.

I really appreciate your comments. :) ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-12          76726

Generally speaking, the average user would never wear one out in a life-time. It is usually only hard commercial service that does them in.

As for sourcing them out, I would suggest you talk to the guys in the shop at your local municipality,since road graders and snowplows are hard on cutting edges and they will know where to get them.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login